Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LUXOBARGE (sub5k) of the week/day

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,959 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

there is no legal requirement that a car sold by a dealer must have an NCT.
    Andrew33 wrote: »
    There’s no obligation on the dealer to sell a car with a valid NCT. End of.

I would not agree with this.

If I purchase a car without an NCT from Dodgy Cars Ltd (dealers in classy cars), and on the way home, a nasty incident ensues from a defect with the car, I think the dealer is legally liable, unless it is proved that it was something other than the car that caused the incident. Onus of proof on the dealer.

A dealer needs to be quite clear that the purchaser should not drive the car, but if they do, it is their responsibility. Public liability comes into it. This would not apply to a private sale (unless 'private' is fake).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,568 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

If I purchase a car without an NCT from Dodgy Cars Ltd (dealers in classy cars), and on the way home, a nasty incident ensues from a defect with the car, I think the dealer is legally liable, unless it is proved that it was something other than the car that caused the incident. Onus of proof on the dealer.

A dealer needs to be quite clear that the purchaser should not drive the car, but if they do, it is their responsibility. Public liability comes into it. This would not apply to a private sale (unless 'private' is fake).

if the car has no NCT then you are not allowed to drive it. It is your responsibility to ensure that any vehicle you drive on a public road has a valid NCT, where an NCT is required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

Whether you agree or not, that is the current situation.
    Caveat emptor. ALWAYS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

why would you drive a car with no NCT on the road though? That would be on you - not the dealer?

Personal responsibility is the only requirement I would have thought, a car dealer isn't some sort of a vocation, they can sell cars for any purpose they wish - trade, for parts, for scrap, roadworthy, unroadworthy - whatever.. Ultimately, the only person responsible for the car they are driving is the driver.

Now, if you have a dealer selling cars with a fake NCT or something, you have a point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,351 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Sale of Goods and Supply of Services act would concur with you

ELM327 wrote: »

It says that if they drive a car without an NCT that the dealer is responsible?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Any dealer with sense writes a clause in sales contract that states the vehicle is unroadworthy and only suited for parts or extensive repairs, if they know the car to be out of NCT. That's what a couple of them have done to me. I was happy enough with it.

Anyway, enough of that, let's look at some barges.

Here's a low mileage petrol V8 barge with a new NCT valid to September. You can get them cheaper, but this one looks nice. A quick check of the brand for the new tyres will give an indication of ho much it was loved. €4,950.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/audi-a8-2005/18701236

YTMyNWIzNGY3MzE1YmY3NjA5MWMzYjA4YzRlMGJjYjGr-HE2Fo1Qf9wzUW45de-MaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNjI4NTI2MzV8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Yzk2NDQxNDk3YjcyYzUyZTdmYWJjMzc3NTE1OTYyZDBL3bSJitfb1TZO6eaNN8LJaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNjI4NTI2NDN8fHwxMjAweDEyMDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

If you prefer diesel, this is for €3250, NCT to Feb. https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/audi-a8/26350930

NDgxMWY0YjcxN2IzNjlkNWY1ZWE1YzRmMTU0OGM5Yjbn-kUx4pzObdeVIykFNr8RaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNjA3MzU1NTV8fHwxMjAweDEyMDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

tiny miles on that 3.7 and the interior shows it.

KevRossi wrote: »
    ............. A quick check of the brand for the new tyres will give an indication of ho much it was loved. €4,950............

It's a dealer selling it, if he put on cheap sh1te it's no indication of how much the car was loved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭traco

Those A8's have aged well I think. it it was in the UK with a personalised plate and a nice set of rims most peole would have no clue they are 14 year old cars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭crazyjim

ELM327 wrote: »

Precisely. Section 13 is unequivocal on roadworthiness. The act predates the NCT regime. But NCT is the State's test of roadworthiness.

That's why you see the below. Which seems to be in accordance with Section 13.

Any dealer with sense writes a clause in sales contract that states the vehicle is unroadworthy and only suited for parts or extensive repairs, if they know the car to be out of NCT. That's what a couple of them have done to me. I was happy enough with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

mickdw wrote: »
    Id drive one too but some of them look very old man ish such as that beige one.
    Any other colour in them seems much fresher.
    Id say the same of the E class - some look only fit for pensioner and some are sporty depending on spec and colour.

Call it gold, not beige, and it's sound.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

Anyway, enough of that, let's look at some barges.

Here's a low mileage petrol V8 barge with a new NCT valid to September. You can get them cheaper, but this one looks nice. A quick check of the brand for the new tyres will give an indication of ho much it was loved. €4,950.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/audi-a8-2005/18701236

Lovely jammer but it's been for sale for at least 3 years now. If it's been sitting barely used for all that time, there could be trouble ahead.

I loved my A8, not a small car for city car parks though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mercedes-s500-lwb-tax-test-2021/26831870

YTBiYzhlNGQwMjQzMjRkNjQxNjRhMmExM2ZmNzQ1MThZgY6hXs-YrTBoSu10N-d9aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNjU5MzAwMDl8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Tidy looking LWB S500 with NCT til July 2021 and a bit of tax, €1850

Original Irish, and 700 quids worth of new tyres apparently. Could be a nice old smoker for about 1500 quid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Would the DVD unit for the rear have been factory fit? I've seen some cars with them fitted aftermarket and it's a proper butcher job.

Nah, I doubt its original. The w220 was available with a factory rear screen but it looked like this

409899d1501792484-euroteck-carbon-fiber-side-skirt-w215-amg-sale-58ed86b4.jpg

I'd say that Alpine unit was probably fitted years ago though when the car was fairly new.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,719 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Merry Christmas bargers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭jharr100

jharr100 wrote: »

must be on the cc rate with no tax rate mentioned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

must be on the cc rate with no tax rate mentioned.

No it's €1494.. Same as my old one a beautiful cruiser and bulletproof.

About 1K overpriced, it needs a wheel refurbishment...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭trellheim

I drive GS such a pity Lexus arent making them anymore.

LS 460. New NCT to 11/20. Claimed FSH. From a dealer with no info in the ad. Nice reg plate, nice colours.

€4,950. I just checked prices of these in Germany. They go for €13-15,000, but you pay around €300 p.a. for tax over there for one of these.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/lexus-ls460-full-service-history-new-nct/26798681

N2QzYTA0YzBkMmQ0MDA0NWUxN2IzOGI0OTJkNTFjOGbHboDih7sTU_eQ5FrJj2ykaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNjU0ODI5OTZ8fHwxMjAweDEyMDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

MDYyNTZjZjVlODkwMTU4MzFkOGZjZTkyMDY2MjMxOGM7IzVFnPNtAd79-CFxLgs0aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNjU0ODMwMDB8fHwxMjAweDEyMDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Is the leather on that LS460 very dirty or is that just the colour it is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,554 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Looking at the seat belt in the rear I'd say she was used to chauffer someone around and the mileage must be astronomical.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

LS 460. New NCT to 11/20. Claimed FSH. From a dealer with no info in the ad. Nice reg plate, nice colours.

€4,950. I just checked prices of these in Germany. They go for €13-15,000, but you pay around €300 p.a. for tax over there for one of these.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/lexus-ls460-full-service-history-new-nct/26798681

He's had that a very long time, which is due to the fact that it has nearly half a million kms :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,388 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

He's had that a very long time, which is due to the fact that it has nearly half a million kms :P

It would be a good idea to type out the car reg when you post a donedeal ad so you could search and see if a car has come up for sale before. Same cars come up again and again, you could almost track them through the years.

personalised reg on that 460 but the leather is manky as some have said, I've been a happy LS400 driver you would normally keep them a bit cleaner than that, and if she was a chauffeur wagon the leather would never have been allowed get near that state . She's had a wash outside and it shows

front passenger seat has the slide forward switch on the right which would tend to back up the chauffeur

Major plus point : its got the Mark Levinson sound which is amazing. That tax tho :(

Maybe I'm missing it but there seems to be very few LS in Ireland later than 2008

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2007-lexus-ls-460-v8-genuine-low-miles-amp-nctd/26906457

YWQ0MTgzM2YxNTE3NGViMzFlZTJkMmVhNzc3MzY3NGRIL6Pqk_aP6-ap_adaUNGLaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNjY4ODg2NTF8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Nice looking original Irish LS here with 67k miles for €4650

Also mark levinson audio, also rear screen powerblind, and heated steering wheel nice list of extras on that one ( and compare the state of the leather, what a difference ) argh 1800 tax tho lol ask for a years tax thrown in chuckle

trellheim wrote: »
    Also mark levinson audio, also rear screen powerblind, and heated steering wheel nice list of extras on that one ( and compare the state of the leather, what a difference ) argh 1800 tax tho lol ask for a years tax thrown in chuckle

Blind and steering wheel were standard I think... The extras extended to the RSR, ML system, Lane Keep Assist, Auto Focus Headlights and Radar Cruise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭hurikane

Blind and steering wheel were standard I think... The extras extended to the RSR, ML system, Lane Keep Assist, Auto Focus Headlights and Radar Cruise.

Does steering wheel in them come up to meet you when you sit in? Think I drove one in 08/09

hurikane wrote: »
    Does steering wheel in them come up to meet you when you sit in? Think I drove one in 08/09

Mine does, mines 07

Avoid that one in Midleton it's for sale nearly 3 year's plus dealer was trading under a different name up until lately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Truckermal wrote: »
    Avoid that one in Midleton it's for sale nearly 3 year's plus dealer was trading under a different name up until lately.

If I recall it had 450k km's on it...probably just run in engine wise but you can see the wear on the driver seat :D

If I recall it had 450k km's on it...probably just run in engine wise but you can see the wear on the driver seat :D

Yeah 453 or so 3 years ago :eek:

Truckermal wrote: »
    Just what do dealers do with cars like that that just won’t shift?
    I looked at and test drove a Forester in Jim Rock Motors back in May 2015! and he still has it up at stupid money. I dunno.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,244 ✭✭✭User1998

Just looking at the add for that, he hasn’t updated the photos since. Check out the last photo, tax expired 6 years ago!

http://m.jimrockmotors.ie/photos.php?ad_id=1085162#PhotoSwipe1609959780476

User1998 wrote: »
    Just looking at the add for that, he hasn’t updated the photos since. Check out the last photo, tax expired 6 years ago!

Just to put that into perspective.
    https://www.donedeal.ie/view/26700293
    Although I wouldn’t trust a postage stamp from that guy.

Blind and steering wheel were standard
    they weren't on my LS400s. Wish there was some recent 600h out there its the only car really I'd be looking at and theres nothing, and the UK 500h are too pricey still by miles

I have it in an 06 RX400h. Nice trick alright. I only ever used the power adjustment on seats and steering wheel once; the day I bought the car. Only of use if you're changing drivers regularly.

• Advertisement

I have it in an 06 RX400h. Nice trick alright. I only ever used the power adjustment on seats and steering wheel once; the day I bought the car. Only of use if you're changing drivers regularly.
    I had an Amazon with the same feature, as soon as you remove key from ignition the wheel moves up and away from you. Unfortunately that wears out the plastic gear wheels on motors and they’re over a grand to replace.

Just what do dealers do with cars like that that just won’t shift?
    I looked at and test drove a Forester in Jim Rock Motors back in May 2015! and he still has it up at stupid money. I dunno.

No idea TBH but they are dodgy dealer's! I knew who owned the LS as he purchased a new LC500 that time..

User1998 wrote: »

Used to walk by that regularly. Pretty sure paint is in bits / peeling now

Used to walk by that regularly. Pretty sure paint is in bits / peeling now

Hard to believe he has sat on it for almost 6 years (or more for all I know). I’ve seen comments about dealers having unsaleable cars on forecourts for tax purposes but I can’t believe that would be the case here.

Hard to believe he has sat on it for almost 6 years (or more for all I know). I’ve seen comments about dealers having unsaleable cars on forecourts for tax purposes but I can’t believe that would be the case here.

Looks like it’s there since the end of 2014 https://web.archive.org/web/20141221020418/http://www.jimrockmotors.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭E36Ross

October 2014 was the last change of ownership!

So well over 6 years!

E36Ross wrote: »
    October 2014 was the last change of ownership!

So well over 6 years!

they must be un-clockable so, otherwise that thing would be in Ghana with half those miles on the clock.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/lexus-sc-430-coupe/26924827

OTU1Nzk5OWFkMjc0NTI4MDIyOTkyMGE1YjEzODNiZGHFd-1hoXB_1tCXQ26896G1aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNjcyMDI0MjJ8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Does this count? It even has NCT til May

€1750! Very cheap. You will be lucky owner #15

Does this count? It even has NCT til May

€1750! Very cheap. You will be lucky owner #15

That's mad cheap. Yeah, it's nearly 20 years old, ugly and has the max tax, but it's some value all the same. Supposed to be an excellent cruiser, but makes no pretence at being a sports car. You won't get a cheaper V8 cabrio with a semblance of reliability than that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,388 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

That's mad cheap. Yeah, it's nearly 20 years old, ugly and has the max tax, but it's some value all the same. Supposed to be an excellent cruiser, but makes no pretence at being a sports car. You won't get a cheaper V8 cabrio with a semblance of reliability than that.

Can't be arsed to reverse it out and take a pic of the front

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement