Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LUXOBARGE (sub5k) of the week/day

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,595 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Sobanek wrote: »
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/05-bmw-7-series-tax-02-14-nct-03-15/5915537

Bit above my 5k budget, but looks well specced, and it's the 745i :D

And why not the Boxster?

Spec pretty much as basic as it gets for an E65 (alloys the only upgrade I can see). No comfort seats - no buy! The seats aren't heated either, despite what it says in the ad. That engine is also prone to seriously expensive (and seemingly common) problems (crossover coolant pipe leak); indeed all non-M BMW V8s approx 2002 - 2010 should be very carefully examined before purchase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,183 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

The boxster is not a fast car like a Porsche should be. The 911 is not (for the most part) bought by "keep up with the jones's" people, as the boxster does the same job but for cheaper. It (boxster) looks like a porsche but does not drive like one. I should know, I was considering one a while back and took a test drive in a 2.7.

The X Type has nothing that a Jag should have. Grace? No, Space? No, Pace? no (except the 2.5 or 3.0 models perhaps)

And I am sorry, but a 2.1 FWD mondeo in drag is not a Jaguar. A Draguar perhaps :P

At 265 PS and a ton-and-a-quarter I'll disagree and consider it a perfectly peppy little roadster, for half the price of an entry-level 911 model. And as for the Draguar, I suppose you don't approve of the S-Type either, with it's Lincoln LS underpinnings?? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

jimgoose wrote: »
    At 265 PS and a ton-and-a-quarter I'll disagree and consider it a perfectly peppy little roadster, for half the price of an entry-level 911 model. And as for the Draguar, I suppose you don't approve of the S-Type either, with it's Lincoln LS underpinnings?? :D

The S type is a model linked back to the original S type from the 60's, you can see the style cues.
    Also, with most models being 220 bhp and above, I can not see it being not classed as fast. (Grace, space, pace - check check check)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,183 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

The S type is a model linked back to the original S type from the 60's, you can see the style cues.
    Also, with most models being 220 bhp and above, I can not see it being not classed as fast. (Grace, space, pace - check check check)

Mmm. I'll have that, but the S-Type shares a Ford platform with the big Lincoln, and the X-Type shares a platform with the Mondo, while using the classic XJ front and a slightly smaller version of the S-Type's arse. I'll argue that it's very much a Jag, for those who want to mind de peteral, like. :D

jimgoose wrote: »
    Mmm. I'll have that, but the S-Type shares a Ford platform with the big Lincoln, and the X-Type shares a platform with the Mondo, while using the classic XJ front and a slightly smaller version of the S-Type's arse. I'll argue that it's very much a Jag, for those who want to mind de peteral, like. :D

I mean obviously it is a Jag. It has the jag badge on it!
    But it is like the "City Rover" is not really a rover at all. It is a rebadged TATA.
    Now the x type obviously is not a rebadged mondeo but it shares a lot of components meaning the chassis and drivetrain are different from other jags.
    It is like how I can (somewhat) forgive the 1 series and Compact 3 series BMWs because they somewhat stick to the "ultimate driving machine" moniker when specced with a proper engine, the X type on the other hand is not a proper jag IMO because of the low (by comparison for a "premium" marque" power, the small size, and the lack of "presence".

The type of people that buy these are the same people that buy mercedes with cloth seats and in manual with the lowest engine size "Just for de cheep tax and de new reg", and above all, keeping up appearances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

I mean obviously it is a Jag. It has the jag badge on it!
    But it is like the "City Rover" is not really a rover at all. It is a rebadged TATA.
    Now the x type obviously is not a rebadged mondeo but it shares a lot of components meaning the chassis and drivetrain are different from other jags.
    It is like how I can (somewhat) forgive the 1 series and Compact 3 series BMWs because they somewhat stick to the "ultimate driving machine" moniker when specced with a proper engine, the X type on the other hand is not a proper jag IMO because of the low (by comparison for a "premium" marque" power, the small size, and the lack of "presence".

The type of people that buy these are the same people that buy mercedes with cloth seats and in manual with the lowest engine size "Just for de cheep tax and de new reg", and above all, keeping up appearances.

How arrogant and patronising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Valetta wrote: »

True enough mind you. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

Is it still arrogant and patronising if it is correct for the majority of buyers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,843 ✭✭✭✭bear1

I'd have to agree with Cleveland. A lot or people prefer to save a few bob and drive a bog standard car than to splash out and get a much nicer version.
    I've gone through that phase so I'm speaking from my own view here.
    Now, I'd sacrifice the extra tax and fuel costs just so I can be happy to "drive" the car.
    3.0 tax? pff bring it on as long as I enjoy being in the car and it has all the toys I want

For example:

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2003-mercedes-s320-cdi-lwb-sale-swap-/5834948

Yes it's on the expensive side, but just look what you get! LWB for a start, heated/cooled seats all round, Satnav/TV thing anything you want!
    Yes the tax is high but think of it this way, it's barely 5e a day :D Long live luxos!!

I also suppose we shouldn't complain so much, the people who believe they need to stay away from these cars makes them even cheaper for the ones who want to get these cars :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

bear1 wrote: »
    I'd have to agree with Cleveland. A lot or people prefer to save a few bob and drive a bog standard car than to splash out and get a much nicer version.
    I've gone through that phase so I'm speaking from my own view here.
    Now, I'd sacrifice the extra tax and fuel costs just so I can be happy to "drive" the car.
    3.0 tax? pff bring it on as long as I enjoy being in the car and it has all the toys I want

For example:

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2003-mercedes-s320-cdi-lwb-sale-swap-/5834948

Yes it's on the expensive side, but just look what you get! LWB for a start, heated/cooled seats all round, Satnav/TV thing anything you want!
    Yes the tax is high but think of it this way, it's barely 5e a day :D Long live luxos!!

I also suppose we shouldn't complain so much, the people who believe they need to stay away from these cars makes them even cheaper for the ones who want to get these cars :)

It is all a matter of personal opinion. Having driven numerous Marques in my lifetime Jaguar XJ is the ultimate saloon and Porsche 911 the ultimate sportscar:)
    There is noting wrong with entry level, whether Xtype or Boxster. Buy what you like and most importantly ENJOY !:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Cos my fiesta is a poxy place to sit in when stuck in traffic on the m50 each day, I'm srs considering one of the barges posted...but insurance is a bitch (read: non starter) for a 30yo who had a bike the last few years :|

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

kaimera wrote: »
    Cos my fiesta is a poxy place to sit in when stuck in traffic on the m50 each day, I'm srs considering one of the barges posted...but insurance is a bitch (read: non starter) for a 30yo who had a bike the last few years :|

Start off in the likes of a Maxims and build your no claims again. You're at a grand ah for insurance. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

As I mentioned I did not drive the S, I drove the 2.7.
    It is to Porsches what the X type is to Jags or what a 518d is to bmws. An entry level.

You are correct in that it's their entry level model but it's not fair to say it's what the X type is to Jags or what a 518d is to bmws. It's at a much higher standard than that.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

Strike a nerve?
    Did someone just fork out 45k for a 518d and realise they bought a badge?:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

The joy of reading posts about luxo-barges is starting to deplete and the thread is souring. What a shame, it was such a nice place to read every night I came home from work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

The joy of reading posts about luxo-barges is starting to deplete and the thread is souring. What a shame, it was such a nice place to read every night I came home from work.
    something a bit left field

http://cars.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/bentley-eight/5943605

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

For the eccentric pimp. I like it.

Jesus, that last line... If my Almera wasn't crashed. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭Bigus

350 z engine ,almost 1 £ per cc, at 3750 reliable, feck suggesting LPG , just put 3000 aside to tax and fuel it. Cheap years motoring all in. Should nearly be in banger nomics

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/nissan-murano-3-450-no-offers/5814113

Full-23845441.jpeg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Proper luxobarge at button price, that !!
    Bigus wrote: »
    350 z engine ,almost 1 £ per cc, at 3750 reliable, feck suggesting LPG , just put 3000 aside to tax and fuel it. Cheap years motoring all in. Should nearly be in banger nomics

I wouldn't drive, nor own, that yoke even if 10 horses tried to drag me in it. No matter what heritage the engine has.

So I went and bought a 300ZX Fairlady instead. Not necessarily considered a luxobarge. More like a grand tourer. But fair good value to be found on the market there, too.

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I had a "Jag" and it had pretty much every extra bar xenons and a sunroof! Luckily too as the xenons are supposed to be awful hard ship.

Full-23845441.jpeg

Never understood why they only came in petrol. Perhaps an alternative to Lexus RX?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Ill admit to always having a soft spot for these. Something that looks normal'ish yet packs a Z engine for no apparent reason. Cheap too.
    Never understood why they only came in petrol. Perhaps an alternative to Lexus RX?
    Forget Ireland's obsession with small engines (then small diesels post 2008) then you can see why.. its a better engine and fits it target markets requirements.
    Designed in the US for the US and AsiaPac markets, where its won award after award. Yeah, not at all suited to Ireland, but that's irrelevant to Nissan. They introduce a 4pot diesel in the 2nd gen version though (2007+) but not sure that was sold in Uk/Ire.

Matt Simis wrote: »
    Ill admit to always having a soft spot for these. Something that looks normal'ish yet packs a Z engine for no apparent reason. Cheap too.

Forget Ireland's obsession with small engines (then small diesels post 2008) then you can see why.. its a better engine and fits it target markets requirements.
    Designed in the US for the US and AsiaPac markets, where its won award after award. Yeah, not at all suited to Ireland, but that's irrelevant to Nissan. They introduce a 4pot diesel in the 2nd gen version though (2007+) but not sure that was sold in Uk/Ire.

Yeah cannot recall diesel version in UK/Ireland.

I guess one could buy worse?:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭lomb

Matt Simis wrote: »

Forget Ireland's obsession with small engines (then small diesels post 2008) then you can see why..

Or when you think about it the whole of Europe and probably Japan also. The USA is the only market where there " is no replacement for displacement" and capacity is measured not in liters but Cubic Inches as having 353 C I displacment sounds more impressive that a 5.8l

In reality large engines offer little over modern turbocharging. They have more weight, more frictional losses, and use more fuel. Good turbocharging means one has the benefits of a large displacement engine when you need it at higher rpms and economy at lower rpms.
    The tax system is one nail in the coffin of high displacement either under co2 or under capacity and increased fuel costs in the last 5 years another. Turbos or not diesels are not great engines as they dont rev to the redline like petrols and sound industrial.

lomb wrote: »
    Or when you think about it the whole of Europe and probably Japan also. The USA is the only market where there " is no replacement for displacement" and capacity is measured not in liters but Cubic Inches as having 353 C I displacment sounds more impressive that a 5.8l

In reality large engines offer little over modern turbocharging. They have more weight, more frictional losses, and use more fuel. Good turbocharging means one has the benefits of a large displacement engine when you need it at higher rpms and economy at lower rpms.
    The tax system is one nail in the coffin of high displacement either under co2 or under capacity and increased fuel costs in the last 5 years another. Turbos or not diesels are not great engines as they dont rev to the redline like petrols and sound industrial.

They drive differently, are under immensely less stress and consequently offer better reliability.
    I'll offer you odds of 10/1 that my 98 truck with a chevy small block 5.7 v8 NA will outlast many of the small cc FI engines in large cars (like a 1.2 octavia) being sold today.

I drive around at less than 1000 rpm 80% of the time. Such a lazy drive (and non stressful on the engine - there's 180 k miles on her and it could easily be 18k). Forced induction petrol engines with small capacity will work fine when released but will they last 100k miles? I don't think so. We are going backwards in terms of reliability.

Oh and to address your final point, my e60 diesel revs right to its redline and does not sound industrial (although it is an FI engine - albeit a 3.0 twin turbo)

The problem isn't really with the engine but it's a lot to do with the car they're put into.
    In something light a 1.2 turbo doesn't have a lot of work to do so it won't be overly stressed but yes, in a big, heavy Octavia it's going to be working pretty hard to push that lump of metal around.
    The Ford Eco Boost Fiesta is a good example of where these engines should be.
    Japan have been lumping turbos on small engines for small arms for years with little issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

I can't believe that they do 0-60 in 8.9 seconds though. So very slow considering the powerplant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

daRobot wrote: »
    I can't believe that they do 0-60 in 8.9 seconds though. So very slow considering the powerplant.

and its ugly as f*ck

• Advertisement

daRobot wrote: »

Detuned compared to in the 350z, still a nice lump.

They drive differently, are under immensely less stress and consequently offer better reliability.
    I'll offer you odds of 10/1 that my 98 truck with a chevy small block 5.7 v8 NA will outlast many of the small cc FI engines in large cars (like a 1.2 octavia) being sold today.

I drive around at less than 1000 rpm 80% of the time. Such a lazy drive (and non stressful on the engine - there's 180 k miles on her and it could easily be 18k). Forced induction petrol engines with small capacity will work fine when released but will they last 100k miles? I don't think so. We are going backwards in terms of reliability.

Oh and to address your final point, my e60 diesel revs right to its redline and does not sound industrial (although it is an FI engine - albeit a 3.0 twin turbo)

For most people doing average miles cars are worthless after 10 years and 100000 miles so this is irrelevent. Afaik trucks are turbocharged and designed to last 1 million miles so what your saying probabl isnt true. Yes turbos blow but they are just a fiver of bearings. OK labour is expensive and few will repair the turbo but its small change to fix it if you know what your doing.

For most people doing average miles cars are worthless after 10 years and 100000 miles so this is irrelevent. Afaik trucks are turbocharged and designed to last 1 million miles so what your saying probabl isnt true. Yes turbos blow but they are just a fiver of bearings. OK labour is expensive and few will repair the turbo but its small change to fix it if you know what your doing.

Cars are worthless after 10 years? That is silly.

What I'm saying isn't true? Take that horsesh!t elsewhere, I am looking out the window at my normally aspirated truck outside now. They are also not designed for a million miles.

Turbo repair is not a fiver. Pure stupidity to suggest so.

Seriously, you should have to pass an IQ test to post here, or at least score double digits.:rolleyes:

I don't think a 2003 car with 100k is worthless.
    Turbo's do not cost a fiver to repair, I know - I've had to change 2 of them.
    If you can do it for a fiver, give me your number please :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

To be fair, they said "most people", and yes, most Irish people find the idea of a 10+ years or 100k+ miles car abhorrent.

We are not most people, and their loss is our gain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭bidiots

and its ugly as f*ck

Eh, no...no its not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

For most people doing average miles cars are worthless after 10 years and 100000 miles so this is irrelevent.

Whoever told you (and those that you refer to) that sort of nonsense must have been employed in car dealership here in Ireland.

It's the most silly thing, I've heard in a long time.

The thumb of rule, that I grew up with, was that a petrol engine would last 250k miles. And sure, then you can always get a reconditioned engine.

A diesel engine is usually good for 600k miles. Same story there, just replace the engine when bust. They are more solid build due to the pressure they're put under running diesel.

Now, the modern diesels are build more cheaply and have gotten to performance values of petrol engines. That probably shows itself in the form, that they don't last as the old lazy diesels anymore.

Anyhow, saying that a car only lasts 10 years, is utter nonsense. In Denmark, due to the extreme high VRT people are financing their cars for 10 years (and not 6 years, like here) and then might keep them for another 5-10 years.

It's the same nonsense, as that the car will break once the warranty is up.

Service the car regularly. Take care of the car. Don't abuse the car. You will see, it lasts a lot longer then.

And just because some component (like the engine) goes bust, doesn't mean that the car is worthless.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

bidiots wrote: »
    Eh, no...no its not.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭bidiots

Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder.

Fixed;)

• Advertisement

Cars are worthless after 10 years? That is silly.

What I'm saying isn't true? Take that horsesh!t elsewhere, I am looking out the window at my normally aspirated truck outside now. They are also not designed for a million miles.

Turbo repair is not a fiver. Pure stupidity to suggest so.

Seriously, you should have to pass an IQ test to post here, or at least score double digits.:rolleyes:

Eh? They are in market value terms relatively worthless. Ie a 2003 S320 Cdi that starts at 100k retail would be with 100000 miles on it worth less than 5% so it is basically worthless economically. That car is about 75% of the new car yet 5% of the cost. Yes older cars need maintainance and most people are unable mentally to spend money on cars with low values so it means we can run a millionaires motor on relative haypennys.

Turbo repair is in reality a fiver of bearings. I never said I would do it for that but thats all it is. There is nothing revolutionary about a turbo , its a fan that spins rapidly on bearings that are oil sensitive and wear out.

From Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbo-diesel
    In 1951 MAN presented a turbocharged version of their MK26 truck, although it was never put into mass production.[11] Series production of turbocharged diesel trucks commenced in 1954, when both MAN 750TL1 and Volvo Titan Turbo were introduced to the markets.[12] The building of the Interstate Highway System in USA from 1956, made long-distance road transportation of goods more attractive and to keep up with general traffic more powerful engines came in increasing demand: Cummins, Detroit and CAT all had turbo-charging as an option by the late-1960s. In Europe, legislation was introduced in Germany mandating a minimum power-to-weight ratio for trucks; by the late 1960s a 38-tonne consist had to have at least 304 hp.[13] Most manufacturers met these requirement with large-displacement natural aspiration engines, some with the option of large-displacement or turbo-charging, while Scania and Volvo where among those that only provided turbocharged trucks that met the demands. Turbo-charging was not preferred initially as the engines was perceived to be less reliable, but the method won a decisive victory by the mid-1970s as the 1973 oil crisis increased fuel costs. The last market to see the absolute penetration of turbo diesels was Japan, where legislation on particle emissions effectively mandated natural aspiration engines until effective particle filters became available.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭jharr100

I thought this was the luxobarge thread?
    More barges please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

THREE POINTED STAR TIIIIIIME :D

View2-23389439.jpeg
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/03-mercedes-s350-stunning-car/5706567
    Looks like it's in good nick. And it's the facelift version, so less prone to airmatic faults.

View2-24354159.jpeg
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/02-mercedes-ml320-petrol-auto-mint/5915267
    I've always been a fan of this generation ML.

View2-22687871.jpeg
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mercedes-cl-500-nct-06-14/5584783
    Interesting colour....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,962 ✭✭✭Soarer

Sobanek wrote: »
    THREE POINTED STAR TIIIIIIME :D

View2-23389439.jpeg
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/03-mercedes-s350-stunning-car/5706567
    Looks like it's in good nick. And it's the facelift version, so less prone to airmatic faults.

View2-24354159.jpeg
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/02-mercedes-ml320-petrol-auto-mint/5915267
    I've always been a fan of this generation ML.

View2-22687871.jpeg
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mercedes-cl-500-nct-06-14/5584783
    Interesting colour....

Ah balls!

I genuinely thought I was in the bangernomics thread. Flippity flip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

I have no business in this thread but I love it, makes me dream. That first merc is sweet. Cheers sobanek

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

Soarer wrote: »
    Ah balls!

I genuinely thought I was in the bangernomics thread. Flippity flip.

You'd probably get it for cheaper. Paddy doesn't like luxobarges! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

MAJJ wrote: »
    I have no business in this thread but I love it, makes me dream. That first merc is sweet. Cheers sobanek

If it's there in two weeks time, I'd be happy to take a look and drive away in it :cool:

Re the first S-Class, seeing as those have Satnav's and I see the option for TV would the TV not work due to it being designed for the analog?
    Seeing as we are now in digital I imagine that TV option would be now gone correct?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

bear1 wrote: »
    Re the first S-Class, seeing as those have Satnav's and I see the option for TV would the TV not work due to it being designed for the analog?
    Seeing as we are now in digital I imagine that TV option would be now gone correct?

Best person to check that out with would be bmstuff on here.
    Nearly sure he fitted a tv in a bmw recently.

You can fit them to receive digital. :)

Cheers :) I'd assume also no TV license :D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement