Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LUXOBARGE (sub5k) of the week/day

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,283 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

and Peugeot's are certainly not luxury...cheap horrible things with flimsy plastic everywhere.

Maybe a boggo 306 is. But the 607 is nice enough, I was in one that was a taxi a while ago. Lots of leather and wood and it was quiet and comfortable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭Kaiser D

and Peugeot's are certainly not luxury...cheap horrible things with flimsy plastic everywhere.

You've probably never been in a high spec 607?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

Kaiser D wrote: »
    You've probably never been in a high spec 607?

You are right, I have not been. I really shouldn't judge, but this is a thread about luxury cars that are huge, and the Peugeot mark isn't synonymous with luxury.

There are plenty of cars dressed up with leather seats and electric gadgets, but generally they will still be crap underneath all that front. Ive pretty much disliked most French cars ever since I was old enough to know a wee bit about cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭dougie-lampkin

Ive pretty much disliked most French cars ever since I was old enough to know a wee bit about cars.

I love this attitude, it means there's plenty of nice and cheap second hand cars like that 607 for those who aren't typical Irish sheep.

Good for you, keep buying those well equipped and luxury Toyotas :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

You are right, I have not been. I really shouldn't judge, but this is a thread about luxury cars that are huge, and the Peugeot mark isn't synonymous with luxury.

That's where you pretty much go wrong. All of the french brands have always been synonymous with luxury.

If you look back over time, a lot of these luxobarges are even iconic classics by now, like for example the Citroen DS. The 607 definatly is Luxobarge category.

You can't judge, what you haven't seen.

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

I've been in a high-spec 607 and was impressed just as much as I was with a full spec Opel Omega back then - they had one as a demo back in a Peugeot showroom in Nadarzyn, Poland. (Now a VW dealer).

As much as I can understand it's the only French modern luxury car, I don't consider it a luxobarge.

We talked about this before with the Volvo S80.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

A Luxobarge is a high spec full sized car. If the glove fits.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I was watching Ronin last night as this was taking place. Some nice French autos in that!

Edit: Funnily enough all the main cars are German, M5 s8 and a 450.

450 ??

/M

• Advertisement

This discussion about the Froggy 607 could go on and on for a long time, and really its all down to what you perceive as luxury. Some people have different standards, I cannot help it if my bar is a little higher than cash starved Ireland.... :D

I shall end the discussion by providing a photo of the interior of a 607, if you think this is luxury then you and I have very very different definitions of the word.

Here is the dictionary definition of "luxury". If you think this describes the picture below then a visit to Specsavers may be in order! :D

"luxury
    ˈlʌkʃ(ə)ri/Submit
    noun
    a state of great comfort or elegance, especially when involving great expense.
    "he lived a life of luxury"
    synonyms: opulence, luxuriousness, sumptuousness, richness, costliness, grandeur, grandness, splendour, magnificence, lavishness"

peugeot_607.jpg

No amount of gadgets and gizmos will disguise the cheap tatty plastics used throughout.

Marlow wrote: »
    450 ??

/M

The brown Mercedes!

The brown Mercedes!

450SE so.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭daz16

was that brown merc in ronin not a 450sel 6.9? yum

Anyone noticed how cheap x5's are getting? Some even look decent enough. These two (one petrol one diesel) are tempting for the winter. The black one looks like its from the right part of dublin and even though above the magical 4k mark could be gotten for the 4k. I know there are cheaper ones but these two look have decent ie. not thrashed waiting big bills.
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-x5/5763885
    nct 2/14
    full leather
    or
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/BMW/X5/X5-3.0-D/201343219145618/advert?channel=CARS
    nct 1/14

• Advertisement

Marlow wrote: »
    450SE so.

/M

Sel I'd say ;)

Sel I'd say ;)

6.9 :D

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/99-clk-230-convertable/5879517

Admittadly not a complete barge but nice plate and brabus alloys too.
    Says 140km maybe miles?
    Nct is either feb 14 or 11/14?
    Nice car if you can hold on till next summer you may even get your money back.
    or
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2003-mercedes-e270-auto-e3950/5947088
    nct 12/14
    small miles 117k
    full cow
    looks tidy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,492 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

This discussion about the Froggy 607 could go on and on for a long time, and really its all down to what you perceive as luxury. Some people have different standards, I cannot help it if my bar is a little higher than cash starved Ireland.... :D

I shall end the discussion by providing a photo of the interior of a 607, if you think this is luxury then you and I have very very different definitions of the word.

Here is the dictionary definition of "luxury". If you think this describes the picture below then a visit to Specsavers may be in order! :D

"luxury
    ˈlʌkʃ(ə)ri/Submit
    noun
    a state of great comfort or elegance, especially when involving great expense.
    "he lived a life of luxury"
    synonyms: opulence, luxuriousness, sumptuousness, richness, costliness, grandeur, grandness, splendour, magnificence, lavishness"

[URL=http://s8.photobucket./albums/a33/djrichard/peugeot_607.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

No amount of gadgets and gizmos will disguise the cheap tatty plastics used throughout.

I thought the previous arguments over the 607 ended appropriately - if it's good enough for the French president, it's a luxobarge.

Marcusm wrote: »
    I thought the previous arguments over the 607 ended appropriately - if it's good enough for the French president, it's a luxobarge.

Sorry, I didnt read this entire thread, it would take about 4 years at this stage. I never knew there was a discussion about it, but if it ended on that fact, then its a lost argument. A froggy president is driven about in a budget overweight, under-performing plastic dashed pretender manufactured by his own country...I wonder why its only the French president who would be seen dead in one and not any other dignitaries of any other country. The reason is that its not a luxury car and even if you threw in every garlic munching member of the French Government in there, it still wouldn't convince me that cheap plastic is luxury. I have the ability to make up my own mind, I base it on facts and not what others do.

• Advertisement

Would you call a used beast a luxobarge?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,492 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Sorry, I didnt read this entire thread, it would take about 4 years at this stage. I never knew there was a discussion about it, but if it ended on that fact, then its a lost argument. A froggy president is driven about in a budget overweight, under-performing plastic dashed pretender manufactured by his own country...I wonder why its only the French president who would be seen dead in one and not any other dignitaries of any other country. The reason is that its not a luxury car and even if you threw in every garlic munching member of the French Government in there, it still wouldn't convince me that cheap plastic is luxury. I have the ability to make up my own mind, I base it on facts and not what others do.

Miaow. If you're that stuck on your own views, a forum may no be the best ace for you. My own luxobarges are an F02 750Li and a full fat RR 4.2 s/c but I'd still see a 607 as capable of meeting the criteria. What would I know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Jaysus. Think yea could squeeze any more racial stereotypes in there? Bit ranty aren't we.

Miaow. If you're that stuck on your own views, a forum may no be the best ace for you. My own luxobarges are an F02 750Li and a full fat RR 4.2 s/c but I'd still see a 607 as capable of meeting the criteria. What would I know

I'm not stuck on my own views, I merely said I was capable of making my own mind up. My own views are certainly open to influence by others and their opinions, but that doesn't change the fact a Peugeot 607 is not a luxobarge and no amount of repeating yourself is going to change that fact.

Its not my opinion that counts here, its the facts. There is nothing opulent about a 607, nothing luxurious, no lavishness, no sumptuousness, no costliness or richness. The only thing it has is cheap leather seats and a load of copycat gadgets developed on real luxury cars several years ago. That makes it a pretender, and not even a good one at that as the interior is quite ugly and vulgar and it surrounds you with plastic fit for a Citreon Saxo.

Just because you have a couple of luxobarges doesn't make your points any more valid, in fact it makes your point even more ludicrous.

Jaysus. Think yea could squeeze any more racial stereotypes in there? Bit ranty aren't we.

I could have, but I was saving frogs legs for my comeback! ;)

Brave man!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

On a very entertaining rampage!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

I could have, but I was saving frogs legs for my comeback! ;)

Curious to know how you would define a Citroen C6?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

The C6 is not but luxury!!
    Such a sweet car.

daRobot wrote: »
    The C6 was aimed as a stylish alternative to executive cars like the BMW 5 Series and the Audi A6.

Neither of them are luxobarges in my eyes.

Therefore, C6 ≠ Luxobarge.

It is a sweet car though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,843 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Put a deposit down on an Luxo that no one will ever guess... watch this space :D
    Btw its an LHD car ;)

daRobot wrote: »

I would define it as French, a French executive car. Not a luxury barge, but looks to be better than most French cars, which are on the whole abysmal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,301 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

C6 is deffo an luxobarge was in one before and nothing has such a smooth ride and the interior is a really nice place to be.

But shurre the lads down the pub said it wasn't cause ya know it's french

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Not my kinda car style wise but certainly looks like a nice luxurious place to sit and rare as fook over here to

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Citroen/C6/2.7-HDI-/31413531714673730/advert?channel=CARS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

There's always going to be outside cars on this thread, where some people believe a car is or is not a luxobarge.
    It's a matter of opinion either way.

I reckon a 607 is a big cruiser, but its a little bit of a stretch to call it a luxobarge.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

It isn't.

Oops, I made my point without sounding like a racist twit, pardon me.

rovoagho wrote: »
    It isn't.

Oops, I made my point without sounding like a racist twit, pardon me.

What would you like for you achievement, a hat and a balloon? Attack the post, not the poster or face the wrath!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭bidiots

What would you like for you achievement, a hat and a balloon? Attack the post, not the poster or face the wrath!

Calm down, calm down *scouser.gif*

oops, scouser racism :(

Can people not properly debate their opinion any more without having digs at each other?

Move on please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Lurching wrote: »
    I reckon a 607 is a big cruiser, but its a little bit of a stretch to call it a luxobarge.

Nail on the head. In the same class as a Saab 95, Ford Granda/Scorpio, Opel Omega, Alfa 166, Nissan Maxima, Toyota Camry, Volvo S80 which are comfy cruisers of which the majority sold (here at least) had 4 cylinder engines. That's not luxury.

Move it up a gear in terms of prestige to the likes of a 5-series, E-Class, S-Type, A6 and you couldnt barely call any of those luxobarges. More luxurious than some of the previous cars in the right spec? Possibly. But not really.

A luxobarge is higher up again. Any of the above are just plush for the most part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

bear1 wrote: »
    Put a deposit down on an Luxo that no one will ever guess... watch this space :D
    Btw its an LHD car ;)

Lancia thema 8.32 :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,843 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Scortho wrote: »
    Lancia thema 8.32 :cool:

I wish, but you aren't too far off ;)
    I'll pop a link to the car as soon as someone guesses it :D

Kappa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Would I be off my rocker to buy a v12 850...with no nct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,183 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

kaimera wrote: »

Yes, completely, window-licking five-star ocean-going off your chump. Do it NOW! :cool:

• Advertisement

Red one on done deal?
    He'll take 3500 judging by the ad on adverts.
    I'd go for it, provided you look over it with a fine tooth comb....could be costly if it needs work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

*sighs* I hate you both!

Yea the red one...yea I'm wary of it being costly.

No I can't get insurance on my own.

Yes I am considering it for the new year.

*sighs* I hate you both!

Yea the red one...yea I'm wary of it being costly.

No I can't get insurance on my own.

Yes I am considering it for the new year.

Our resident redneck is after this as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

Maserati?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭traco

Getting seriousy tempted by this

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mercedes-cl55-amg/5977646

Anyone know much about them, thinking about it purely as a summer toy May-October. Have heard some stories about servicing costs on AMG's being mad money, things like high tension leads etc all costing a fortune. Is it something that you could run yourself with a good indy???

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement