Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LUXOBARGE (sub5k) of the week/day

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭pajor

bear1 wrote: »
    I wish, but you aren't too far off ;)
    I'll pop a link to the car as soon as someone guesses it :D

The Maserati that was posted the other day?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

traco wrote: »
    Getting seriousy tempted by this

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mercedes-cl55-amg/5977646

Anyone know much about them, thinking about it purely as a summer toy May-October. Have heard some stories about servicing costs on AMG's being mad money, things like high tension leads etc all costing a fortune. Is it something that you could run yourself with a good indy???

Savage. would love one of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,825 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Nope it is not a Masser :)
    I can guarantee it won't be to everyone's taste but I don't care :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Punto. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

Scortho wrote: »
    Our resident redneck is after this as well
    Indeed I am!
    kaimera wrote: »
    Would I be off my rocker to buy a v12 850...with no nct.

You would be, I would guess that at that price with no NCT it needs front suspension work, which could easily add up to a couple of thousand, depending on what exactly needs to be done.

I am waiting a couple of weeks for other stuff to happen before I can make an offer. To be fair, it would cost me north of 10k to import an 850, so it is a bargain at 4k as is!

CianRyan wrote: »
    Punto. :p

You bastard :( 1.1l of pure power... even has wind-up windows and some funny looking radio that cd's can't fit into...

Oh and no :p

Is it Italian?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

that guy selling the 850. Is it really that much effort to put though the nct? even if it fails and you dont get the work done for it to pass, at least the potential purchaser knows whether the work required is minimal or if its going to be costly! Only an enthusiast is going to buy that car, IMO the seller is a piss taker if they wont get it tested... Given the market for that type of car, they should be bending over backwards to try and shift it, again IMO...

Idbatterim wrote: »
    that guy selling the 850. Is it really that much effort to put though the nct? even if it fails and you dont get the work done for it to pass, at least the potential purchaser knows whether the work required is minimal or if its going to be costly! Only an enthusiast is going to buy that car, IMO the seller is a piss taker if they wont get it tested... Given the market for that type of car, they should be bending over backwards to try and shift it, again IMO...
    It's been up for at least 2 months for sale.
    I would expect, with no NCT and no Tax, it is unlikely to be sold anytime soon.
    (I'm hoping, as I want to buy it in a few weeks :P )

EDIT: The work is obviously costly, it is a v12 850!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

It's been up for at least 2 months for sale.
    I would expect, with no NCT and no Tax, it is unlikely to be sold anytime soon.
    (I'm hoping, as I want to buy it in a few weeks :P )

EDIT: The work is obviously costly, it is a v12 850!

I dunno, though - Edd China had an XK8 on an episode of Wheeler Dealers I saw yesterday that was got chape because it had some terrifyingly unfathomable electronical fault that sent into limp-home once it warmed up. The Long Fella sorted it with a £10 OBD-II scanner and a throttle body from the Bay of Gee for £100. :cool:

• Advertisement

the below was for sale for an age, absolute cracker, last asking price before sale was €5700...

http://www.bmw-driver.net/forum/showthread.php?t=37861
    The car has just passed the NCT first time with no advisorys.
    Just read over the ad and spotted that bit LOL

When I purchased my old 318ci, the guy said he was too busy to put it through NCT, but booked it in and told me that if I could go, to take the car and have it checked, I did and it passed...

jimgoose wrote: »
    I dunno, though - Edd China had an XK8 on an episode of Wheeler Dealers I saw yesterday that was got chape because it had some terrifyingly unfathomable electronical fault that sent into limp-home once it warmed up. The Long Fella sorted it with a £10 OBD-II scanner and a throttle body from the Bay of Gee for £100. :cool:
    But if it were that, then surely the 850i owner would have done it.
    I see he also has a 645i for sale.

the below was for sale for an age, absolute cracker, last asking price before sale was €5700...

When I purchased my old 318ci, the guy said he was too busy to put it through NCT, but booked it in and told me that if I could go, to take the car and have it checked, I did and it passed...

Aye but that's an 840, more readily available than an 850

But if it were that, then surely the 850i owner would have done it.
    I see he also has a 645i for sale.

You'd be surprised how many otherwise perfectly capable and savvy folk run a mile from a hint of d'electronicals. I'm not saying that's what's wrong with that 850, but it could be something similar that's simple if you know how to go about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭daz16

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/03-mercedes-s350-stunning-condition/5706567

new nct (so hopefully suspension bags are ok)
    silkey smooth 3.7
    looks mint.
    prob posted already.

VERY VERY NICE! I could be wrong but think have seen "Jeffersons" name on quite a few donedeal ads... Buying something like that, Id want one from an enthusiast, and Id be patient enough to wait for it...

Lads out of interest, what would have the more comfortable ride, that S350 or the 7 series from 2002 on?

jimgoose wrote: »
    You'd be surprised how many otherwise perfectly capable and savvy folk run a mile from a hint of d'electronicals. I'm not saying that's what's wrong with that 850, but it could be something similar that's simple if you know how to go about it.

I mean no-one likes electronical stuff, it is finicky, but for the car that is in it, he could double his price with a valid NCT and 3 months tax.

If got for the right money there is a lot of car there. Even at asking it is a good deal, taking a punt that you can fix whatever gremlins are under the surface. I'd be buying the car with 1-2k aside to fix her, otherwise wouldn't go near it.

VERY VERY NICE! I could be wrong but think have seen "Jeffersons" name on quite a few donedeal ads... Buying something like that, Id want one from an enthusiast, and Id be patient enough to wait for it...

Lads out of interest, what would have the more comfortable ride, that S350 or the 7 series from 2002 on?

Is that a v8 or v6? If it is a v8 then that is a lot of barge for that price.
    Having not driven either I would hazard a guess at the merc.

I mean no-one likes electronical stuff, it is finicky, but for the car that is in it, he could double his price with a valid NCT and 3 months tax.

If got for the right money there is a lot of car there. Even at asking it is a good deal, taking a punt that you can fix whatever gremlins are under the surface. I'd be buying the car with 1-2k aside to fix her, otherwise wouldn't go near it.

Oh I agree, you'd want a small heap of money one-side to get the likes of that yoke to your liking. But even they aren't all that complicated.

• Advertisement

Is that a v8 or v6? If it is a v8 then that is a lot of barge for that price.
    Having not driven either I would hazard a guess at the merc.

V6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭bidiots

EDIT:
    Mix up, thought it was shabbys 840.

It is indeed Italian :)

It is indeed Italian :)

If it's similar to a Thema, then I'd guess a 164 or Croma to be really daring. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

pajor wrote: »
    If it's similar to a Thema, then I'd guess a 164 or Croma to be really daring. :P

May as well throw a saab 9000 into that mix then as well.

2002 S500 LWB
    5l v8
    NCT 5/14
    Black with matching cow
    Looks straight

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mercedes-s500-lwb-02/5650257

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

FYI you can check for older ads with the same name using a search like this.

Won't always show older delisted ads, but might be helpful to someone here.

daz16 wrote: »
    2002 S500 LWB
    5l v8
    NCT 5/14
    Black with matching cow
    Looks straight

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mercedes-s500-lwb-02/5650257
    Beautiful, that's a luxobarge without any doubt!

Or to down size a bit this

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mercedes-e240-avantgarde-auto/6054353
    With the 2.6 its defo in barge land.
    Full cow
    NCT 7/14
    €2950
    and goin by his other ads he'll be keen to move it on. so id rekon a couple of tanks of petrol off.
    or
    Admittadly this one looks infinitly tidier and better value.
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2004-mercedes-e240-new-nct-/5978304
    04 e240
    NCT 5/14
    Says fsh
    €3495

or
    Go jap
    Ls430
    NCT 5/14
    full cow n loads of toys.
    €3000
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-lexus-ls-430/5799698

Well just to add to the hints... First off I'm sorry to say it's a diesel. But it does have 175bhp ;)
    Come on guys the get the heads a clickin :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭Soarer

traco wrote: »
    Getting seriousy tempted by this

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mercedes-cl55-amg/5977646

Anyone know much about them, thinking about it purely as a summer toy May-October. Have heard some stories about servicing costs on AMG's being mad money, things like high tension leads etc all costing a fortune. Is it something that you could run yourself with a good indy???

Woulda thought they were making more than 360bhp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Soarer wrote: »

Newer ones do, I think they got a super charger later in life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭00833827

Admittadly this one looks infinitly tidier and better value.
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sal...w-nct-/5978304
    04 e240
    NCT 5/14
    Says fsh
    €3495

nice, but i find it odd there are 4 photos from the rear, 3 or which are practically identical, and 3 interior. none of the front. might just be as simple as a few stone chips, but would be good to see it.

Who knows really, car could have been mullered and badly put back together or the seller might just be a bad photographer/salesman?

Well just to add to the hints... First off I'm sorry to say it's a diesel. But it does have 175bhp ;)

JTD of some sort?

A hint perhaps? Were they sold here? Or is the lhd-ness of it all non optional?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭Mandzhalas

Lancia Thesis

A hint perhaps? Were they sold here? Or is the lhd-ness of it all non optional?

Never sold here. non optional :)
    Hint.. Well it's a Lancia

Mandzhalas wrote: »
    Lancia Thesis

Spot on :)

http://otomoto.pl/lancia-thesis-2-4-jtd-175-km-emblema-89-000k-C30984663.html

Here is the car in question :) It's in Polish but I had a translator friend when I went to view it.
    I put a deposit on it to secure it for myself. I need to bring it on a proper test drive before handing the rest over.
    What do you guys think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Fiat Multipla?!?!???!

Edit: nevermind, he posted what it was and i was takin the piss anyway :pac:
    Spot on

Here is the car in question It's in Polish but I had a translator friend when I went to view it.
    I put a deposit on it to secure it for myself. I need to bring it on a proper test drive before handing the rest over.
    What do you guys think?

Its.... definitely different anyway! At least you'll be the one driving it so you won't have to look at the outside!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭traco

CianRyan wrote: »
    Newer ones do, I think they got a super charger later in life.

Thats a normally aspirated one, they were CL500's with AMG engine mods to get the extra capacity and whatever other magic that AMG did. They don't have the 4 exhaust pipes which is the visual giveaway and the big supercharger with the name plate of the guy that assembled it. The Supercharged version came out in 2003 and knocks out 493bhp.

I've been thinking about one for a year at least at this stage and reckon I'll have a look at it as it sounded interesting on the phone. However I think I really want the supercharged version as you may as well be hung for a sheep as a lamb. The V12 CL 65AMG would be the dogs danglies with 600 bhp but not as relaible as the V8

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

What do you guys think?

Chromosomal-deficient lovechild of a Rodius and a Multipla? Sorry, but ick to me. Gorgeous to you I'm sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Different in a good way imo. Couldn't call it good looking but at least there won't be one everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

I've been in one or two of these in Italy. Defo a luxobarge. Well done!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

I'm going to bite the bullet but I am tormented between saloon or jeep I realy like the jags but the RR are a temptation I think I would buy on this threads recommendations so let the game commence. Sorry for spelling on my phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Soarer wrote: »

Thought the same myself when I read it, that said I thought they were all supercharged.

@The Thesis, its very very ugly to be fair!

@The RR/Jag, presume it's an XJ vs. The RR. What's the budget?

Surely out of an RR v XJ (unless you needed 4*4) there is only one winner!

Why? It's not like half of them were ever used for the 4x4 a tributes lol

Why? It's not like half of them were ever used for the 4x4 a tributes lol

Yes but if I wanted a luxobarge I would go Jag over the RR any time.
    Unless I lived in Saudi Arabia and could run the supercharged V8 RR

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

Spot on :)

Here is the car in question :) It's in Polish but I had a translator friend when I went to view it.
    What do you guys think?

I was thinking that earlier on but thought it was too new. Rare to see one of them on the road. Do you have to vrt it now?

• Advertisement

Yes but if I wanted a luxobarge I would go Jag over the RR any time.
    Unless I lived in Saudi Arabia and could run the supercharged V8 RR

Well the Jag is gonna be the same petrol engine, so from that side of things its as much as a much.

I'd probably pick a facelifted Rr over an XJ.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement