Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LUXOBARGE (sub5k) of the week/day

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

bear1 wrote: »
    Spot on :)

http://otomoto.pl/lancia-thesis-2-4-jtd-175-km-emblema-89-000k-C30984663.html

Here is the car in question :) It's in Polish but I had a translator friend when I went to view it.
    I put a deposit on it to secure it for myself. I need to bring it on a proper test drive before handing the rest over.
    What do you guys think?

Auto Ratusz - I heard some good stories about this place :) Hopefully all goes well. (Even though I hate the Thesis)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,843 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Scortho wrote: »
    I was thinking that earlier on but thought it was too new. Rare to see one of them on the road. Do you have to vrt it now?

My plan is the following:

Do a full and complete check up of the car

Then

Transfer the ownership of the car into my wifes name (shes Polish) and keep it like that for around 6 months... then free VRT it :D of course insurance and the like will be done too.

I agree it isn't a good looking car but I like the idea that it is such a unusual car.
    I like the LED lights at the back, the seats are just heaven. The Bose system was very good and all the electrics worked (from what I could tell)
    I know the engine as well as I had the older version before so at least that won't be a stranger.
    All in all I'm a happy (poor) camper today :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,544 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

What do you guys think?

You are a sick man

mickdw wrote: »
    You are a sick man

Aren't we all :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

I take back what I said. I know now what the Lancia reminds me of: A constipated Scorpio. Sorry again.

• Advertisement

As I said, I prefer to have an unusual car that will turn heads rather than a car everyone owns.
    Each to their own :) I like it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,960 ✭✭✭Soarer

So ugly it's cool. Well wear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Transfer the ownership of the car into my wifes name (shes Polish) and keep it like that for around 6 months... then free VRT it :D of course insurance and the like will be done too.
    That may not work as they will need to see evidence of usage abroad prior to coming here and I think you will have to show you are just moving to the country, not already established.

They are quite particular about these things sadly.

Matt Simis wrote: »
    That may not work as they will need to see evidence of usage abroad prior to coming here and I think you will have to show you are just moving to the country, not already established.

They are quite particular about these things sadly.

I think insurance receipts are sufficient enough to prove that the car has been used abroad.
    As for the moving part, I think we could say that it was a holiday car and now we are bringing it over?
    Besides for now the car will stay here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Wouldn't be to my taste nice enough back end looks like they got confused about what they wanted at the front.

But still cool since it will be possibly the only one on Irish soil.

• Advertisement

Soarer wrote: »
    So ugly it's cool. Well wear.

Thanks Soarer.. was hoping for few more nice words :)

Wouldn't be to my taste nice enough back end looks like they got confused about what they wanted at the front.

But still cool since it will be possibly the only one on Irish soil.

I am not too keen on the front at all, I'd be an idiot to say that is good looking.
    The back I really like and the inside as I said is a very nice place to be.
    Heated front seats, electric seats with memory, xenons, dual climate control front and rear, Satnav etc etc.
    My plan after a while is a remap to bring it over the 200bhp mark.
    It's a heavy lump of a car but the engine helps it pull very well and the box is very smooth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭Kaiser D

Well wear bear1, that is a cracking car.

I love the looks of them.

Surely it will be the only one in Ireland?

Kaiser D wrote: »
    Well wear bear1, that is a cracking car.

I love the looks of them.

Surely it will be the only one in Ireland?

It should well be :)
    Although I remember a while back that there was a French or Italian registered one for sale here, think it was a V6 though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭Bigus

It's amazing the lengths some people will go to get a Thesis

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

Well the Jag is gonna be the same petrol engine, so from that side of things its as much as a much.

I'd probably pick a facelifted Rr over an XJ.

Yes but in a much heavier car the fuel economy drops from awful to very awful.
    Anyway this is a motors forum, don't care about economy -care about POOWWWAAHHH :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I think insurance receipts are sufficient enough to prove that the car has been used abroad..

er, no.

You'll have to provide utility bills, probably wage slips/P60 etc as well. Btdt, have the tee-shirt.

You'll also have to give them a PPSN - if you're able to do that, then - bingo - they know you're already 'in'..........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

galwaytt wrote: »
    er, no.

You'll have to provide utility bills, probably wage slips/P60 etc as well. Btdt, have the tee-shirt.

You'll also have to give them a PPSN - if you're able to do that, then - bingo - they know you're already 'in'..........

As far as I know his missus is polish so he should have a better chance than most. Shouldn't be too hard to get polish ppsn if your polish and know the right people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Yes but in a much heavier car the fuel economy drops from awful to very awful.
    Anyway this is a motors forum, don't care about economy -care about POOWWWAAHHH :pac:

Swinging towards the Jag now.

Hootanany wrote: »
    Good man, keep swinging that way IMO :D

• Advertisement

Bigus wrote: »
    It's amazing the lengths some people will go to get a Thesis

Do you mean this in a negative way?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,183 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Hootanany wrote: »

Yessss... join us, don't be afraid!! :D

Scortho wrote: »
    As far as I know his missus is polish so he should have a better chance than most. Shouldn't be too hard to get polish ppsn if your polish and know the right people

Correct she is Polish and has a Polish "PPSN".
    I do have a bank account in Poland also and I have a Polish bill phone so there is another bill in my name.
    I'm also registered at her parents address so these aren't the issue.
    Issue is just waiting for the 6+ months to pass

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

On the subject of the bmw 8 series (video up before I guess?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭pajor

Well wear of course bear. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Respect for getting something different.

Not what i'd have bought but that interior looks fabulous.

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Respect for getting something different.

Not what i'd have bought but that interior looks fabulous.

It's the interior mostly that did it for me, thanks Moneymaker :)
    I had a bit of a choice between either the Thesis or another dealer selling a S320 petrol which was going at a very good price.
    I drove it and noticed that there was clicking sounds coming from the front suspension (driveshafts) and the brakes were quite spongy.
    I didn't feel like buying a car and sending it straight into the mechanics.
    Going to view the Thesis for the last time on Friday and I'll know for 100% if that is the car I leave with.
    Still have the Volvo with me but until the Thesis can be registered in Ireland then it's staying put with me.
    Just clocked 200500k on the Volvo :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,492 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Yes but if I wanted a luxobarge I would go Jag over the RR any time.
    Unless I lived in Saudi Arabia and could run the supercharged V8 RR

Some of us don't fit behind the wheel of an XJR/SV8 - my right knee and the key had arguments. Plus the RR driving position is more attractive to many - think about your truck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,492 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Well the Jag is gonna be the same petrol engine, so from that side of things its as much as a much.

I'd probably pick a facelifted Rr over an XJ.

Not necessarily the same - for a while the RR kept the 4.4L BMW v8 before they (eventually) out the normally aspirated Jag V8 into it. Clearly if we're talking supercharged (which automatically gets the better external styling pack) then it would have been the same.

• Advertisement

kaimera wrote: »
    On the subject of the bmw 8 series (video up before I guess?)

Anyone know the guy that bought it? Does he post on here?

bear1, I should add: Respect for buying a barge. I won't stop thinking it looks like a bulldog licking p1ss off a nettle, but anyone that keeps old barges on the road is a-ok in my book. Have fun with it. Just try not to look it in the eye, it might put a hex on you or something. ;)

rovoagho wrote: »
    bear1, I should add: Respect for buying a barge. I won't stop thinking it looks like a bulldog licking p1ss off a nettle, but anyone that keeps old barges on the road is a-ok in my book. Have fun with it. Just try not to look it in the eye, it might put a hex on you or something. ;)

Thanks, to be honest I can't see why so many comment on the looks.
    Ok I know it isn't good looking but some many posts viewed my purchase as a negative thing, maybe I overreacted to the posts.
    I did ask what was thought about the car but I didn't expect such a negative response.
    I worked hard to save the money and regardless what anyone thinks I am happy with it.
    A luxobarge isnt necessary to be attractive and I knew full well what I was getting, I made sure of it but I did for now pump money into the car so I think certain comments were a bit on the off side.
    I'm not getting on to anyone, just feel a bit on the down side with some of the posts :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

I'd agree that there were a lot of harsh comments which were completely uncalled for.
    It looks like a great barge, a rare one too.
    Best of luck with it. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

It's certainly different. I hope you enjoy it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Thanks, to be honest I can't see why so many comment on the looks.
    Ok I know it isn't good looking but some many posts viewed my purchase as a negative thing, maybe I overreacted to the posts.
    I did ask what was thought about the car but I didn't expect such a negative response.
    I worked hard to save the money and regardless what anyone thinks I am happy with it.
    A luxobarge isnt necessary to be attractive and I knew full well what I was getting, I made sure of it but I did for now pump money into the car so I think certain comments were a bit on the off side.
    I'm not getting on to anyone, just feel a bit on the down side with some of the posts :(

While I understand your frustration, posting a (IMO) completely out of the ordinary car like that is bound to receive some good/bad attention. This is a forum after all.

That said, I wouldn't let it get you down, as I'm sure there are many aspects of other posters lives that you wouldn't agree with, given the chance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

@bear, well wear.

Bring it to C&C meet :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

Spot on :)

http://otomoto.pl/lancia-thesis-2-4-jtd-175-km-emblema-89-000k-C30984663.html

Here is the car in question :) It's in Polish but I had a translator friend when I went to view it.
    I put a deposit on it to secure it for myself. I need to bring it on a proper test drive before handing the rest over.
    What do you guys think?

You jammy git, was only salivating over the interior the other day. Does it have leather? If so there is not many motors that can top it for luxobarge status!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭pajor

Nobody else seems to have picked up on that it's a Lancia. A Lancia. How many of them do you see on Irish roads? Square root of jack. :cool:

@bear, well wear.

And the next motors meet on dec 14th in Midway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭00833827

pajor wrote: »
    Nobody else seems to have picked up on that it's a Lancia. A Lancia. How many of them do you see on Irish roads? Square root of jack. :cool:

probably cos the ain't sold here anymore?

@bear1 - i hadn't seen or heard of one of these till you posted it, but i like it. I wouldn't call it ugly at all - I would say its not conventionally styled but defo not ugly. regrading the VRT, not sure of your location but i would think make sure its insured in Poland/Polish company for the 6 months before registering here.

• Advertisement

While I understand your frustration, posting a (IMO) completely out of the ordinary car like that is bound to receive some good/bad attention. This is a forum after all.

That said, I wouldn't let it get you down, as I'm sure there are many aspects of other posters lives that you wouldn't agree with, given the chance.

Oh of course I agree with you there.
    I probably overreacted slightly to some of the posts.
    I'm not offended and yes it is a forum and I should expect disagreements on people's choices. I just thought that focusing on the looks over and over again was just slightly tiring to see.
    Of course the phrase each to their own comes to mind :)

@bear, well wear.

She won't be in Ireland at that time so hopefully as soon as I get it on Irish plates I'll bring it out :)
    kev1.3s wrote: »
    You jammy git, was only salivating over the interior the other day. Does it have leather? If so there is not many motors that can top it for luxobarge status!

It is leather indeed, luckily heated as the winter can get feckin fierce here.
    It was a very impulsive buy, as I'm here for work at the moment and you see some cars you dont see in Ireland (vice versa also) I figured I'd check out the websites and see what comes up.
    Cars are expensive here but I think it's money well spent. Only live once :)

Feck all really. Haven't seen one in yonks, Integrale would probably be the most "common" and I know there is a 8.32 knocking about.
    And the next motors meet on dec 14th in Midway!

Do you take Volvos? :D
    00833827 wrote: »
    probably cos the ain't sold here anymore?

@bear1 - i hadn't seen or heard of one of these till you posted it, but i like it. I wouldn't call it ugly at all - I would say its not conventionally styled but defo not ugly. regrading the VRT, not sure of your location but i would think make sure its insured in Poland/Polish company for the 6 months before registering here.

I'm from Galway so it would all have to be in the wifes name, and yes the car will be fully insured and their version of the NCT done so legally the car will be on the road :)
    For now it would be min June before I'll bring it over to Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

Hi Bear, been lurking in this thread for ages, love the suggestions that are made. That car sure is unusual and will really be unique. Absolutely stunning inside too, real luxobarge. best of luck with it.

MAJJ wrote: »
    Hi Bear, been lurking in this thread for ages, love the suggestions that are made. That car sure is unusual and will really be unique. Absolutely stunning inside too, real luxobarge. best of luck with it.

Thanks MAJJ :) glad some people are seeing it from my view :)

Here's my lancia! Although note technally on the road it will be soon, in a way I'm happy that the thesis wasn't available here because it only serves to make it a truly special car, defo more special than any German offering.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭daz16

Dunno if this was up before. Seems genuine enough and realistically it's prob not going to lose any more money

Jaguar XK8
    nct 10/14
    4 new tyres
    FSH
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Jaguar/Xk/Just-NCT/201339218594154/advert?channel=CARS
    or this
    2003 e270
    nct 7/14
    Half cow interior
    €3300
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/merc-e270-cdi-for-sale/5971810

kev1.3s wrote: »
    Here's my lancia! Although note technally on the road it will be soon, in a way I'm happy that the thesis wasn't available here because it only serves to make it a truly special car, defo more special than any German offering.

You didn't buy that in Cork by any chance?

rovoagho wrote: »
    You didn't buy that in Cork by any chance?

No bought it in Dublin about 6 years ago

Okey doke. Looks a lot like one I went to look at a long time ago. :)

Missus said the Jag was too low got an X5 instead.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement