Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LUXOBARGE (sub5k) of the week/day

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Interslice wrote: »
    Link?

None on the nice audi you posted on the previous page either. For me anyway.

Yeah sorry about that dont have this pic and link thing to fine art yet

http://www.sjsmotors.com/viewanad.php?ad_id=990125 for the bmw

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Audi/A8/4.2-Quat/201331217485205/advert?channel=CARS for the old audi

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Audi/A8/3.7-QUAT/37213818444451240/advert?channel=CARS for newer one

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

Liking the BM. So much car for so little money.

Between that and the Jag, it has never been cheaper to join the v8 club!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

listermint wrote: »
    Dont those V8's have alot of trouble with nikasil and timing chain issues ?

Nikasil is irrelevant now, and has been for some time. Any car that had Nikasil is either dead or repaired.

rovoagho wrote: »
    Nikasil is irrelevant now, and has been for some time. Any car that had Nikasil is either dead or repaired.
    Usually replaced under warranty.
    If not then the car is probably, as you say, dead! (or soon to be)

Way to repeat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

I think I came up with a business plan. I wonder how well the E65 sells in Poland. I found a professional company in Poland that can convert the car to LHD - starting from €800 - 2500 incl. parts. Buy one for €3,500 here, get the VRT back, ship it to Poland, convert it and you can still make €600-€1000 on a single car (which is priced very competitively since it's a RHD conversion). Not bad.

rovoagho wrote: »
    Way to repeat.

I was agreeing with you :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

I was agreeing with you :confused:

Yeah but you made him look less knowledgable by agreeing with him. Shame on you!

:)

Yeah but you made him look less knowledgable by agreeing with him. Shame on you!

I'm genuinely missing something here :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭rocky

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,544 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Sobanek wrote: »
    I think I came up with a business plan. I wonder how well the E65 sells in Poland. I found a professional company in Poland that can convert the car to LHD - starting from €800 - 2500 incl. parts. Buy one for €3,500 here, get the VRT back, ship it to Poland, convert it and you can still make €600-€1000 on a single car (which is priced very competitively since it's a RHD conversion). Not bad.

I think there is easier ways to make €600. Some good options for export to uk but you would want to be spending 10k minimum imo to make it pay.

mickdw wrote: »
    I think there is easier ways to make €600. Some good options for export to uk but you would want to be spending 10k minimum imo to make it pay.

That's only €600 on a single car though. Do this twice a month, and it's a handy €1,200 extra to your monthly pay :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,843 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Eh? How?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

That's only €600 on a single car though. Do this twice a month, and it's a handy €1,200 extra to your monthly pay :)

Aren't they changing the rules in Poland that the car no longer has to be lhd?
    Or did I dream that somewhere?
    It'd be a lot more tempting, if you didn't have to change it to lhd.
    I'd go for it, not much to lose and a nice side earner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

OK say you do export to Poland, what aboout the cost of the VRT equivalent there? Plus the import tax.

It is a good idea and if you have the funds then why not?

Whats the market like for luxobarges atm in poland

kupus wrote: »
    OK say you do export to Poland, what aboout the cost of the VRT equivalent there? Plus the import tax.

It is a good idea and if you have the funds then why not?

Whats the market like for luxobarges atm in poland

It's feckin expensive. More or less with all the paperwork it would probably work out the same as here.
    Plus you need to go to a few offices and it can take the whole day to do this.
    But if I was to do this I wouldn't bother with it - let the onus be on the new owner, just bring the car over, price it accordingly and leave it un-registered.
    Market I imagine is quite good seeing as there is no motor tax there.
    Fuel prices aren't low though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,544 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

bear1 wrote: »
    It's feckin expensive. More or less with all the paperwork it would probably work out the same as here.
    Plus you need to go to a few offices and it can take the whole day to do this.
    But if I was to do this I wouldn't bother with it - let the onus be on the new owner, just bring the car over, price it accordingly and leave it un-registered.
    Market I imagine is quite good seeing as there is no motor tax there.
    Fuel prices aren't low though

You need to show the car as registered in another state before you can get refund of vrt from revenue. Selling it unregistered could be an issue.

You need to show the car as registered in another state before you can get refund of vrt from revenue. Selling it unregistered could be an issue.

I saw that when I was looking at the XK8, i get back the vrt get I still have to pay import tax here plus sales tax plus whatever else they call it. AFAIK they cannot call it import tax as thats illegal so they call it something else.

But feck all price difference after all sums are done.

I meant un-registered in Poland, without Polish plates.

bear1 wrote: »
    I meant un-registered in Poland, without Polish plates.

That includes the "Akcyza" at 18.6% and recycling at 500PLN.

9500 pln to have it imported and ready for sale pretty much

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

http://cars.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/bmw-750/6092069

posted a pic of that awhile back.

It's a 750IL and to be fair the seller is going the car absolutely no justice.

The 750iL deserves to be put in dreamers thread too. Way overpriced for that mileage... You could import one from the UK, pay the VRT, pay the road tax and I think you'd pay less than this

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201312040329764/sort/default/usedcars/postcode/tf28ba/page/1/model/7_series/radius/1500/onesearchad/used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew/maximum-age/over_10_years_old/engine-size-cars/5lplus/make/bmw?logcode=p

Get this down to 2,695 (defo possible) - 3,250
    Import Cost - 550
    VRT - 2,226
    Tax for three months - 511

Total: €6,537 - but you do get a 2001 one with half the mileage... Some cheaper ones frequently pop up on AutoTrader all the time.

Revenue OMSP ? €6,184 - Really?????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,492 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

The 750iL deserves to be put in dreamers thread too. Way overpriced for that mileage... You could import one from the UK, pay the VRT, pay the road tax and I think you'd pay less than this

But would it have a factory fitted fax machine? I find it hard to believe that anyone could see that as an attractive feature - makes me think that there's something taking up space and possibly running down the battery.

Marcusm wrote: »
    But would it have a factory fitted fax machine? I find it hard to believe that anyone could see that as an attractive feature - makes me think that there's something taking up space and possibly running down the battery.

Novelty? Like car phone kits in late 80's and early 90's. Totally superfluous now but a reminder of the luxuries of upper spec barges in their day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

And probably come with FSH too. ;)
    Marcusm wrote: »

I know a man would come in his jockeys for that. Ain't that right Cartman? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

Completely agree.

I co-owned a mint 750i that was bought for 1300 euro.

A truly phenomenal amount of car for the money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Fax machine!!!

homer_drooling1.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,863 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

what do people reckon a reasonable test the waters asking price on the 750 would be, 2950?

To be fair, that's an Adverts.ie-style offer. I'd hang up on you.

I don't really agree that it's overpriced. He's priced it over what he'll get for it of course, but only a moron doesn't do that.

However iLs are relatively rare in Ireland, so they command a bit of a premium over standard cars. And while I'd be taking a good look at the interior and panels, in particular the stretched parts, 140k is absolutely nothing on a BMW V12. And finally, I'd be surprised if you were able to import one from the UK for that price. Good ones go for mad money over there. Exporting it might pay off though!

If it was me, I wouldn't accept less than €4k for that car, and I'd probably fight fairly hard for €4.5. Assuming it's a good 'un, of course.

Idbatterim wrote: »
    what do people reckon a reasonable test the waters asking price on the 750 would be, 2950?

Personally, I wouldn't even consider it at that money. It would have to be 2k-2.3k and that would be an absolute upper limit.

And to suggest that would be an 'adverts' esque offer, and the seller should hang up is just laughable.

There is a large gap between what a car is deemed to be worth, and what it will sell for.

There is no way on earth that for example, you'd import a LS430 and VRT it for less than what you'd pay for one here. It would be almost double.

Surely then, the massively "underpriced" examples should be flying out the door here? But they're not. Market forces are in play, demand isn't there and it doesn't matter a damn what they cost in the uk and the associated costs with importing it.

It's a wonderful car, but does 10-12 mpg in town and is 1800 to tax.

It took an age to shift the one I previously owned, and it went for what we paid for it (1300) And that car had an exemplary history, folders of receipts inches thick and was flawless.

In short, you'd need to be off your rocker to pay any more than 2,300 for that car.

Edit: Just clicked on the 'more ads from seller button'. He's a bit-part dealer masquerading as a private seller, selling various heaps including a misspelt Porsche. He probably paid less than a grand for that 7'er. Wouldn't touch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭mcko

Love this thread, I am at the age where I could afford a barge, would love a s class merc. 2004 and 2005 seem reasonable, would you be mad to buy one, I am thinking if something went wrong it would cost a fortune servicing ect, tax and ins would not worry me to much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,863 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Love this thread, I am at the age where I could afford a barge, would love a s class merc. 2004 and 2005 seem reasonable, would you be mad to buy one, I am thinking if something went wrong it would cost a fortune servicing ect, tax and ins would not worry me to much.
    that is the great unknown with the luxobarges, everything else is very to calculate, its the potential for expensive repairs...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭NuckChorris1

rocky wrote: »

Haha, just saw this thread and was gonna ask what people thought of my car that I'm selling - but you already linked it!! :D It's twin turbo so "fast-ish" prob doesn't do it justice (i'm still proud of my T6 even when selling it). Only problem would be wheelspin if going from a standing start.

• Advertisement

268bhp says wiki, from a 3l twin turbo... still think it's fast-ish :)

It's not AWD is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭thecomedian

rocky wrote: »
    268bhp says wiki, from a 3l twin turbo... still think it's fast-ish :)

It's not AWD is it?

These are Fwd

These are Fwd

Hell of a lot of power for the front wheels

That's why Volvo turbos are called tyre shredders. Volvo's TRACS handles it surprisingly well though. I can spin the wheels in my 850 in 2nd in the dry or 3rd in the wet if I floor it at the right time, but if you treat the accelerator with a bit of respect, it's absolutely fine. And it'll be a lot better in more modern Volvos like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

• Advertisement

lol more pics here:pac::pac:
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/jaguar-s-type-v8/5999556

Also I see the LS430 is gone and being replaced by a Hyundai Santa fe

Maybe not so great after all, or he's trying to make a weeks wages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 634 ✭✭✭cabb8ge

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mercedes-s500-lwb-02/5650257

Sad to say, even at less than asking price I not afford to run, close to €40/week motor tax not option for me :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 634 ✭✭✭cabb8ge

Just as aside in case someone mention the extra over tax for 1.8 or 2.0 is same as two cup of coffee per day I have jar of coffee at work, I not spend €20+ week on cups of coffee :)

cabb8ge wrote: »
    Just as aside in case someone mention the extra over tax for 1.8 or 2.0 is same as two cup of coffee per day I have jar of coffee at work, I not spend €20+ week on cups of coffee :)

Maybe bring the jar and save the 20 anyway :p

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2003-mercedes-cl-500-top-spec-mint/6007278

Fantastic wheels on this, and LPG to boot. Pity it's so expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭enviro

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2003-mercedes-cl-500-top-spec-mint/6007278

+1 on the wheels, expensive in the context of this thread alright, but considering the lpg mod, genuine wheels and relatively low miles... it's not so bad imo. Long NCT too and looks clean.

The CL for me is a classic shape. They still look much more special than the S class.

If you could get that for 5k, you'd be laughing.

I was a passenger in one a couple of years ago, they really aren't for the faint hearted, even with traction on.

Have to agree on the shape though, looks better than the one it was replaced with.

Would the LPG affect the car's overall BHP?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement