Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LUXOBARGE (sub5k) of the week/day

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

bear1 wrote: »
    I'd be interested in that all the way until I'd see "timing chain probably a job for future".
    Quite expensive for a near 20 year old 4.0 Jag which also needs a new headlight for the NCT which I imagine wouldn't be cheap

That Jag was way earlier on this thread, a few months ago. I made a post about it.

It was for sale at 2k then, from a dealer in Swords. It was some dealer in Airside who was sketchy about disclosing what dealership it was at, and wanted to meet me in the PC world car park instead. Must have been traded in, and they wanted nothing to do with it, regarding warranty.

Looks like it's a dog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 443 ✭✭maceocc2

Hey Unkel, fancy a new E38? And I mean new. 8k miles.

Awesome find, Looks like the face lift M-Sport model as well. Loads of extras.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

rovoagho wrote: »
    Are we talking about the "sealed" nature of these boxes? Because plenty of indies can and do "unseal" them...

Lots of manufacturers go on with this "sealed for life" ballacks. In reality, any autobox will benefit hugely from fresh ATF every two years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

jimgoose wrote: »
    Lots of manufacturers go on with this "sealed for life" ballacks. In reality, any autobox will benefit hugely from fresh ATF every two years.

They're not physically sealed. There has to be a process to drain and refill the ATF if the box is removed or develops a leak.

The manufacturers claim that there is no need to change the ATF during the life of the gearbox as part of the service schedule. This is what's being debated.

I have 205k miles on my Audi allroad and have never changed the ATF fluid. I'll think about it closer to 250k.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

daRobot wrote: »
    That Jag was way earlier on this thread, a few months ago. I made a post about it.

It was for sale at 2k then, from a dealer in Swords. It was some dealer in Airside who was sketchy about disclosing what dealership it was at, and wanted to meet me in the PC world car park instead. Must have been traded in, and they wanted nothing to do with it, regarding warranty.

Looks like it's a dog.

I messaged the guy about it on eBay. You'd have to wonder why it is on eBay but not on donedeal. Kindof dodge to me anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

It's in Dublin too gwan Cleveland another one wont kill you. .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 282 ✭✭Caddyman

lomb wrote: »
    How many miles do you do to spend 2-300 pw? Thats a shocking amount really. What did you trade for ? I would say probably CLS 320 cdi?

Depending on where I have to go (obviously I hear you say!) but as I'm self employed and my job takes me all over the country, I could be in Cork after leaving Longford one day and then head to Galway and onto Derry etc etc! It's really not hard to put up the big miles!

How many miles do you do to spend 2-300 pw? Thats a shocking amount really. What did you trade for ? I would say probably CLS 320 cdi?

Sorry I forgot to answer your question, I got a 2011 C250 CDI BE Auto Saloon Sport to be exact! It's the latest model and came with a several extras!
    Not unlike this one:
    http://sytner.co.uk/mercedes-benz/search/mercedes-benz-c-class-diesel-saloon-mercedes-benz-of-bedford-458402-813143.aspx?st=Vehicle&vhl=-458402&drv=350729&loctn=813143#.UqY9cpwgGSM

It really is. I mean for €300 I would get the best part of 500 miles even in my 12-15 mpg truck!

I too possess a truck that actually gets only 10 mpg! What have you got yourself?
    I'll post a pic of mine when I figure out how to do it again as it's been ages since I was on boards!

bear1 wrote: »
    I believe those Merc's have a 80 litre tank, say a litre of petrol is 1.5 then a full tank equates to 120e per tank.
    I think they have a combined cycle of 20 mpg.
    80l is 17 gallons so assuming my figures are correct thats about 330/350 miles to a tank.
    It could be possible tbh if he is doing for e.g. Dublin-Cork everyday. If not, there was something wrong with the car

You're almost spot on, I was getting at most 340 miles to the tank and as I work weekends it wasn't hard to fill her up twice a week and sometimes every 3 days :(
    I could do from Dublin to Derry twice a week and then plenty of short runs like 50/70 mile round trips, it's not hard at all to clock up the big miles!
    The most I ever put in it in a single fill was €132!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

Caddyman wrote: »
    I too possess a truck that actually gets only 10 mpg! What have you got yourself?
    I'll post a pic of mine when I figure out how to do it again as it's been ages since I was on boards!

A gmc sierra 5.7v8.
    Currently anyway, I have my eyes on one or two potential replacements.

A gmc sierra 5.7v8.
    Currently anyway, I have my eyes on one or two potential replacements.

Nice machine! I forget how to post a photo but here's a video my son made on my Dodge M882 US Army 4x4 Jeep. It's a 1977 communications model with 32,000 miles on the clock. I've had any rust done on it since this and it's also been cleaned up inside as well but it's still in Camouflage :)

http://youtu.be/MrDS4el_mFw

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭pafro

daz16 wrote: »
    I know it's a little pricey but still serious barge potential
    2004 Porsche Cayenne 3.2
    All the toys
    nct 3/14
    Ive seen it and its mint
    €8950
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Porsche/Cayenne/TIPTRONI/201329216019854/advert?channel=CARS

Wouldnt go for that engine.
    Too small for this heavy car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

You're almost spot on, I was getting at most 340 miles to the tank and as I work weekends it wasn't hard to fill her up twice a week and sometimes every 3 days :(
    I could do from Dublin to Derry twice a week and then plenty of short runs like 50/70 mile round trips, it's not hard at all to clock up the big miles!
    The most I ever put in it in a single fill was €132!

That's fairly hefty with mostly motorway mileage. In the 735 I was averaging 15mpg urban but could manage 30mpg motorway with cruise @ 80mph. Most I ever fitted in to the tank was €140 when petrol was up near €1.70.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

Big Nasty wrote: »
    Most I ever fitted in to the tank was €140 when petrol was up near €1.70.

My biggest issue with a luxobarge wasn't the cost of filling it, it was waiting at the pump for it to fill ... every other day...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

It is actually incredibly boring filling a barge, the removal of pump locks is an absolute pain in the arse, particularly when the the filler cap doesn't fit neatly in the gap as a replacement.

I'm actually revelling in my turbobrick, it "only" takes around ninety quids worth. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭lomb

Sorry I forgot to answer your question, I got a 2011 C250 CDI BE Auto Saloon Sport to be exact! It's the latest model and came with a several extras!
    Not unlike this one:
    http://sytner.co.uk/mercedes-benz/search/mercedes-benz-c-class-diesel-saloon-mercedes-benz-of-bedford-458402-813143.aspx?st=Vehicle&vhl=-458402&drv=350729&loctn=813143#.UqY9cpwgGSM

Very nice , some
    have commented on Pistonheads that there is little difference between Bmws best car and their worst in terms of function and quality. I cant really comment as I haven't driven a barge for long enough. I did drive a CL 500 and found it a very nice car in a straight line but the twisties had me disappointed. I thought it was more a land yacht than a car.
    How do you find the change?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Hey Unkel, fancy a new E38? And I mean new. 8k miles.

Was in contact with dealer, already sold for £15,000.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

Is that dealer the guy that used to run Ultimate7.co.uk? He seems to have a corking operation there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Two different chaps I believe. He tells me most of his cars go out the door before they even reach the website, so hopefully I'm now on his *list*. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

Nice machine! I forget how to post a photo but here's a video my son made on my Dodge M882 US Army 4x4 Jeep. It's a 1977 communications model with 32,000 miles on the clock. I've had any rust done on it since this and it's also been cleaned up inside as well but it's still in Camouflage :)

What is it with the Irish and their diesel obsession? :D

Awesome truck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭lomb

Was in contact with dealer, already sold for £15,000.

Madness, if you went to sell it you would be lucky to get 6 or 7.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Madness, if you went to sell it you would be lucky to get 6 or 7.

That would be a keeper. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,747 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Big Nasty wrote: »
    That's fairly hefty with mostly motorway mileage. In the 735 I was averaging 15mpg urban but could manage 30mpg motorway with cruise @ 80mph. Most I ever fitted in to the tank was €140 when petrol was up near €1.70.

Yeah same enough for my 735i. Most I ever fitted in to the tank was €98 when it was completely empty. At €1.19 per litre though :)

Nowadays a fill up for my modestly engined 520i with a small enough tank costs over €100 :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

unkel wrote: »
    Yeah same enough for my 735i. Most I ever fitted in to the tank was €98 when it was completely empty. At €1.19 per litre though :)

Nowadays a fill up for my modestly engined 520i with a small enough tank costs over €100 :(

Theres only one thing for it, 750i !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

listermint wrote: »
    Theres only one thing for it, 750i !

And a V8 to pump the petrol in to speed things up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Very nice! Is the rolls yours as well?

It's really upsetting filling the tank these days alright... My 1.6 Passat takes just north of €100 to fill, and the 740i.....Well, I haven't had the balls to fill that up yet. It'd feel as if I was spending my kids inheritance, too sad :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

maceocc2 wrote: »
    It's really upsetting filling the tank these days alright... My 1.6 Passat takes just north of €100 to fill, and the 740i.....Well, I haven't had the balls to fill that up yet. It'd feel as if I was spending my kids inheritance, too sad :(

Do you mind if I ask you what sort of mileage you get for that Passat and what year is it? and is it City driving or Motorway...

I'm actually going to see a Passat tomorrow, that would help me.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Is that dealer the guy that used to run Ultimate7.co.uk? He seems to have a corking operation there.

seemt to have rediculous access to high quality e38's . Ive asked him to email me the next time an 00-01 740i sport in cosmos black shows up (wishful thinking really ha)

• Advertisement

Do you mind if I ask you what sort of mileage you get for that Passat and what year is it? and is it City driving or Motorway...

I'm actually going to see a Passat tomorrow, that would help me.

Thanks

It's a 2011 (new model) 1.6 TDI, motorway miles, it does 4.5 L/100km, in the city it does about 6.5 L/100km

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

Ls430 is going like an absolute dream. Such a machine. Its so refined, even when you stamp the throttle the automatic gearbox responds with "all in good time". If you flip it across to manual shift though and keep the needle north of 3 its exhilarating.

There is a gripe though, but it's not really to do with the ls in general, but it kinda is. Its something maybe not everyone will look for when casting their eye over one.

When you're driving it's ridiculously quiet, there is no engine noise unless you floor it in manual shift mode and then its not noise its majestic. I, however noticed a whirring hum coming from the back. It wasn't engine or exhaust related and it didn't change in tandem with the revs. It wasn't there at low speed, loudest at 60-90km/h and kinda tailed off at higher speeds whilst still being there. It isn't loud by any stretch, you can hear your heart beating in the cab regardless but it started bugging me more and more.

Today i figure it out. I was checking the tyre pressure, in case it was being caused by an overinflated tyre, and then i saw it. Goodyear eagles on the front (i thought the back too) and mutha farkin lassa impetus sports on the back. Lassa!? Impetus!? Sports?! How did i miss that!?

Who puts cheap tat like that on a car like this? Obviously the dealer or previous owner. They are brand feckin new too so i cant even justify changing them right now. I cant express how much more that barstard noise is going to annoy me now. Its the sound of cheapness on a carriage of excellence.

If you need me I'll be out doing massive luxurious donuts.

kevpants wrote: »
    If you need me I'll be out doing massive luxurious donuts.

:D

Work them hard and you'll need new tyres before Christmas :D

If the money is tight, get some high quality part worns. Will cost you €50-€80 per corner balanced and fitted. Well worth it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭rocky

Incredible value for money. Suspiciously short NCT though. Would sell easier with an 02/15 test!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

Could get lucky, but Id be sweating it on nct day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Incredible value for money. Suspiciously short NCT though. Would sell easier with an 02/15 test!

02/16!

@kevpants, Brilliant post.

It is actually incredibly boring filling a barge, the removal of pump locks is an absolute pain in the arse, particularly when the the filler cap doesn't fit neatly in the gap as a replacement.

I'm actually revelling in my turbobrick, it "only" takes around ninety quids worth. :)

And on a cold and or wet day it's a real pain in the face! One more reason I changed to burning oil :)

Very nice , some
    have commented on Pistonheads that there is little difference between Bmws best car and their worst in terms of function and quality. I cant really comment as I haven't driven a barge for long enough. I did drive a CL 500 and found it a very nice car in a straight line but the twisties had me disappointed. I thought it was more a land yacht than a car.
    How do you find the change?

I'm really delighted with the the C250 as apart from the lower tax, more miles etc it handles like it looks! It is a completely different car than the CL500 which was a great car but was never meant for the twisties.
    I was in Kells yesterday on a back road and passed a big truck on a slight corner (I could see for a mile before anyone says anything!) which was a manoeuvre that I'd never have taken in the CL. It's really fast as well as its the 204 bhp engine with twin turbos I believe! I'd recommend them as a great all rounder.

Sobanek wrote: »
    What is it with the Irish and their diesel obsession? :D

Awesome truck!

Yeah I know what you mean about the diesels, a friend of mine Cecil O'Connor of Lambe & O'Connor said to me last week that "fellas used to be saying their car could do 0-60 in 6 seconds but now they're saying my car will do 48mpg" It's just the way the world has changed especially here in Ireland, thanks to big oil companies and of course The Green Party with their emissions tax!

Thanks for liking my truck, I couldn't give up burning petrol altogether and it burns plenty!!

• Advertisement

02/16!

Indeed! :D

And to give people some perspective:

2013 - 7 year old mid to high end 7-series at a very good price: under €6k (this one)

2003 - 7 year old mid to high end 7-series at a very good price: under €12k (bought one myself - similar Mercedes S-class went for about €20k back then)

1993 -7 year old mid to high end 7-series at a very good price: about £17k

MadYaker wrote: »
    Very nice! Is the rolls yours as well?

Thanks! Yeah the truck is great craic!
    The Rolls is mine and is the best investment I ever made in a car, pity I didn't buy ten of them and some of the ****ty property I bought :eek:

Ah well mustn't grumble, the only problem with the Rolls is that I don't get to take it out too often, I think I only had it our four times this year and I'm in a Vintage Club!

which was a manoeuvre that I'd never have taken in the CL.

Why not? V8 petrol CL is at least as capable in mid range acceleration as a 4 pot diesel C-class, I'd have thought? :)

Why not? V8 petrol CL is at least as capable in mid range acceleration as a 4 pot diesel C-class, I'd have thought? :)

There's not much that would stay with the CL on the straights but I'm talking about the handling, the C250 Sport is just so much easier to throw around a corner, it's a case of you having to have been there on the particular bend I passed the artic truck on!! Trust me I wouldn't have squeezed the CL around let along hold the bend at speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 635 ✭✭✭BillJ

E65 7-series, low mileage for age, NCT (only a few months but still), Decent spec, all for less than 3 grand.

In fact this is very close to bangernomics territory!

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/02-bmw-735i/6137276
    25453902.jpeg

Trust me I wouldn't have squeezed the CL around let along hold the bend at speed.

I'll take your word for it. You do realise that overtaking in a hairpin bend is not advisable? :p

Failed the NCT. Seller should have stated what it failed on. Ad fail too :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

at that price, I'd go for one, if it wasnt for the **** colour, which is obviously why its that price...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

rocky wrote: »

This would be on my driveway if insurance wasn't an issue.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement