Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LUXOBARGE (sub5k) of the week/day

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,843 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Colour doesn't bother me at all.
    I was wondering about the insurance side of it, if you have AXA then you can drive another car which I believe must be taxed and NCT'd and not in your name. I'm not sure though if the car has to have its own though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

bear1 wrote: »
    I was wondering about the insurance side of it, if you have AXA then you can drive another car which I believe must be taxed and NCT'd and not in your name. I'm not sure though if the car has to have its own though...

No insurance needed, you need to be over 25 however which is useless to me.

Unless I can speak to the office in Derry which is much better than the Wolfetone one as they can help :D

And you need "Driving other cars" on your policy.

Sobanek wrote: »

Unless I can speak to the office in Derry which is much better than the Wolfetone one as they can help :D

I have that :D and I'm over 25

I have that :D and I'm over 25

Lucky bastard :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

Last I checked the car itself had to be insured. I could be wrong though.

• Advertisement

TBi wrote: »
    Last I checked the car itself had to be insured. I could be wrong though.

Can't be - we checked with AXA - your insurance policy covers the car.

YOU CANNOT be the owner however ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,544 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Can't be - we checked with AXA - your insurance policy covers the car.

YOU CANNOT be the owner however ;)

I asked for a cover letter from axa when they offered me driving other cars.
    The facts of it were no insurance needed on the other car. Car cannot be owned by you. Car must be Road legal.
    They had an exclusion for performance cars but I think that only related to the additional fully comp cover that I had for driver other cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Question. When do you become the owner of the car? When money changes hands, or when the logbook arrives in Shannon?

IE, you go and look at a private car, test drive it under your own policy, then decide to buy it, are you not insured to drive it home?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

Question. When do you become the owner of the car? When money changes hands, or when the logbook arrives in Shannon?

IE, you go and look at a private car, test drive it under your own policy, then decide to buy it, are you not insured to drive it home?

When I bought the alfa I transferred the insurance over to it straight away after signing the log.
    So Id argue when te log is signed your now the owner, because If you weren't until Shannon had issued a new log, then in effect you could be seen as stealing the car.

If you were to drive it on third party extension post signing the change of ownership form then I doubt that you'd be insured

That all makes perfect sense to me. :)

• Advertisement

That all makes perfect sense to me. :)

how's the 728i?

OH CRAP.

EVERYONE.

WE HIT OVER A 100 PAGES!

CONGRATULATIONS!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

OH CRAP.

EVERYONE.

WE HIT OVER A 100 PAGES!

CONGRATULATIONS!

Control Panel > Edit Options > Thread Display Options > Show 40 posts per page > Save Changes!!

I make it 38 pages ; )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭rocky

You're doing it wrong, I'm on page 38.

how's the 728i?

Which one? :P

The new black one is still sitting up, have a friend very keen on the engine for a swap into an E30 in the new year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

Clean looking early E65 for €3k with a few months test.
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/02-bmw-735i/6137276

Just been posted :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭hi5

What do you do for an insurance disc on the windscreen, if you transfer your own it will have the wrong registration details?

Just carry your own insurance cert with you.
    Guards stop you then you show the insurance cert with the persmission to drive other cars

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭hi5

Is it illegal not to display an insurance disc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,863 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

the rear bumper on it, looks like it has had lumps taken out of it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Yeah it looks like its had some damage. Those early e65's are known to be disastrous for reliability. Even for that little money, I wouldn't have one. The 2006 model 750i though...I'd be tempted!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

Yeah it looks like its had some damage. Those early e65's are known to be disastrous for reliability. Even for that little money, I wouldn't have one. The 2006 model 750i though...I'd be tempted!

I'm almost sure the Maroon 750i was owned by a Consultant Surgeon in the Blackrock clinic, as I've seen it parked in the Consultants car park a few times.

This would tie in with the sellers description of it as a "doctors car". It has probably been looked after, but how it ended up with a small time trader in Wexford is another matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭tw0nk

daRobot wrote: »
    but how it ended up with a small time trader in Wexford is another matter.

AFAIK main dealers sell trade-ins to small garages so their showrooms aren't spoiled with non-current model cars

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,863 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

agreed, I wouldnt touch a pre facelift with a bargepole, nearly regardless of price...

Drove an '05 750i today, incredible bus! Owner hasn't had a single problem with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭Kaiser D

Meh. I don't like the wheelie bin plastic dashboard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Drove an '05 750i today, incredible bus! Owner hasn't had a single problem with it.

You didn't buy it then? :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭Kaiser D

Meh. I don't like the wheelie bin plastic dashboard.

Its just in the wrong colour, I reckon. Needs to be cream.

In all seriousness, I wonder how much hes asking for this fine machine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

I'd do a CTS-V but not a chance of a normal one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

I've passed that yoke a good bit in the last few days. Would love a 7 series but it'd have to be a diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

I've passed that yoke a good bit in the last few days. Would love a 7 series but it'd have to be a diesel.

I doubt the mpg is going to be much better in a diesel 7'er. Considering it is a 3.0 diesel in a tank of a car, I doubt the mpg would be over 25-27 unless you were on a long run.

Get a V8 and LPG that bitch :D

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭faral

Get a V8 and LPG that bitch :D
    don't you think its ridiculous?v8 and LPG?if you can't afford it than stay away.
    thing is its not only fuel consumption someone have to take account of but also parts cause in every second hand car anything can go wrong and having premium luxury car you will pay premium luxury price to fix it.

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    You didn't buy it then? :p

His wasn't for sale. Might be viewing one this week though.

faral wrote: »
    don't you think its ridiculous?v8 and LPG?if you can't afford it than stay away.
    thing is its not only fuel consumption someone have to take account of but also parts cause in every second hand car anything can go wrong and having premium luxury car you will pay premium luxury price to fix it.

No, I don't. If you can save money then why not.

Not necessarily. Would you run a v8 as a daily, knowing that there was a way to run it cheaper putting more money aside for parts etc?

I think it's ridiculous that a 7 series actually comes with diesel!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭ffocused

Kaiser D wrote: »
    Its just in the wrong colour, I reckon. Needs to be cream.

In all seriousness, I wonder how much hes asking for this fine machine.

same car was on Donedeal in October for just north of 2k in Mayo.
    Current owner registered in early November.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

I spoke to a 730d owner recently who had a 530d beforehand (same engine), and he seems to think that the mpg isn't too far off that if the 530d. He said he regularly gets early 40s on a run similar to my daily commute. 600 miles a week wouldnt warrant a petrol one though which is unfortunate as the sound of those petrol.engines are superb.

Anyway I doubt I'll ever own one this side of 40. As affordable as they are to buy, a small job on a 7 series would start at a grand and work upwards. The 530d willbe my weapon of choice soon enough.

• Advertisement

Scortho wrote: »
    Not necessarily. Would you run a v8 as a daily, knowing that there was a way to run it cheaper putting more money aside for parts etc?

!

well its not obvious in Ireland.LPG is not widely popular here and you need to live in vicinity of gas station that supply it.your car will consume circa 20% more of that and you have to invest money first, say 1 grand towards installation. moreover you have to valuate value of the car if you wish to resell it in a future. as for myself i would not touch luxury car running on lpg not because of safety but for sake of luxuriousness!v8 are reserved for top of the range cars for wealthy lads so lpg will ruin future classic.can you imagine rolls royce on lpg??for me it would be funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

well its not obvious in Ireland.LPG is not widely popular here and you need to live in vicinity of gas station that supply it.your car will consume circa 20% more of that and you have to invest money first, say 1 grand towards installation. moreover you have to valuate value of the car if you wish to resell it in a future. as for myself i would not touch luxury car running on lpg not because of safety but for sake of luxuriousness!v8 are reserved for top of the range cars for wealthy lads so lpg will ruin future classic.can you imagine rolls royce on lpg??for me it would be funny.

Can you imagine being able to afford to run a V8 everyday and not relegating them for "wealthy lads"? Also mass produced cars like the 7 series will never be future classics, so that's irrelevant but in the medium term cars on LPG in the UK and Oz command a premium in the used market.. ie increases not decreases value. In Ireland there are not enough cars to draw any meaningful statistics, but I sold my LPG powered S8 rather promptly and easily.

PS: V8s are not prestigious. And use spaces and caps.

Oooh, something new on the luxobarge market

25436804.jpeg
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-e38-750i-v12/6133883

It looks MINT! Can't go wrong for €2,500

I'd rather have a rolls Royce v8 run on petrol than a tractor.
    If LPG allows luxobarges be owned and used as Dailys by enthusiasts then I'm all for it. In an ideal world, we'd only use petrol but it aint an ideal world.
    Obviously annual mileage comes into play. If it was a daily and I was doing 8000 miles plus, I'd lpg in a heart beat, if it was a weekend bit of fun, she'd be staying as petrol b

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

I pretty much strongly disagree with everything you have said. Its a fact that many times I have simply used "LPG" or "autogas" as the only thing in the filter when searching for cars. Its a highly desirable option on every car, especially big luxury cars.

It has nothing to do with wealth, I could afford to put petrol in a 5 litre car and drive the 800km per week I do currently, but I never got wealthy by throwing money away just for the hell of it, I want as much value for my money as I can get.

I pretty much strongly disagree with everything you have said. Its a fact that many times I have simply used "LPG" or "autogas" as the only thing in the filter when searching for cars. Its a highly desirable option on every car, especially big luxury cars.

It has nothing to do with wealth, I could afford to put petrol in a 5 litre car and drive the 800km per week I do currently, but I never got wealthy by throwing money away just for the hell of it, I want as much value for my money as I can get.
    So that has to be a new trend in Ireland now I'm not aware of.But if its true tell me why there are so few petrol stations with LPG option??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Oooh, something new on the luxobarge market

25436804.jpeg
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-e38-750i-v12/6133883

It looks MINT! Can't go wrong for €2,500

Why ohh why will nobody sell an 00-01 e38 740 or 750 in cosmos black, finding a v8 or v12 post facelift in black seems to be impossible

So that has to be a new trend in Ireland now I'm not aware of.But if its true tell me why there are so few petrol stations with LPG option??

Because retailers are retards. It's the same reason why we're only sold 95 octane petrol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Why ohh why will nobody sell an 00-01 e38 740 or 750 in cosmos black, finding a v8 or v12 post facelift in black seems to be impossible
    Buy it and wrap it in black!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

kaimera wrote: »
    Buy it and wrap it in black!
    Matte of course

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement