Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LUXOBARGE (sub5k) of the week/day

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Consider a few years tax as part of the purchase price and its still good value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

daz16 wrote: »
    Electric for back/forward?

Pulse massage or lumbar support I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Bigus

Trade plate in the S320 if it makes any difference .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

racso1975 wrote: »
    I know it has been said before but amazing car for 1500 but then to fork out 1800 in tax is so fukin irish it's unreal. Government really need to do something about this otherwise we will be left with no nice old cars on the road

Its an utter farce. No other way to describe it.

What a joke

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭JackF1

I know it has been said before but amazing car for 1500 but then to fork out 1800 in tax is so fukin irish it's unreal. Government really need to do something about this otherwise we will be left with no nice old cars on the road

Not to start a tax debate but the government has no agenda on +2.5l/200g/km road tax - they simply can't be seen by the public to be cutting taxes for the 'rich'

The upper echelons of taxation are plainly ridiculous. They'd actually gain from capping tax at €1200 across the board. By new sales and not having to refund on exports.

There simply won't be any luxobarges as buyers won't consider a car that costs €2.5k to tax knowing that the diesel/hybrid option will kill it coming resale - regardless of wealth.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

JackF1 wrote: »
    Not to start a tax debate but the government has no agenda on +2.5l/200g/km road tax - they simply can't be seen by the public to be cutting taxes for the 'rich'

Why does our Government appear to be the only one on the Planet that taxes vehicles at such an extortionate rate?

Besides, its the poor that takes the brunt of it at the moment. Its those that can't afford to own a post 08 Model that are hit with the highest rates.

I sold a 2.4 this week to somebody who admitted he just doesn't tax any car , he paid 900 , so it doesn't take him long to break even.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Clungewellies

Sobanek wrote: »
    Pulse massage or lumbar support I think.

Lumbar, it inflates or deflates the lumbar air bladder in the seat. Avoid that generation like the plague until the facelift (late 03). They can cost a bloody fortune to fix. I sold off my prefacelift cl because of extortionate repair cost .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Juan Pablo

Not sure if it qualifies as a luxobarge but have my Audi up for sale at the moment. Relocating back to Dublin shortly so commute going from 200km per day to around 10km, no need for the big diesel anymore.

3.0 TDi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Bigus wrote: »
    I sold a 2.4 this week to somebody who admitted he just doesn't tax any car , he paid 900 , so it doesn't take him long to break even.

Feckin hell haha! Are you gonna report him? Im guessing he lives in the back arse of nowhere and stays there if he can get away with that. I've passed checkpoints with guards checking tax and nct about 3 or 4 times in the last year around Galway city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

The upper echelons of taxation are plainly ridiculous. They'd actually gain from capping tax at €1200 across the board. By new sales and not having to refund on exports.
    On the CC system it probably is losing them money with the ridiculous rates, cars just sit there and will be declared off the road for several months of the year or are for sale, but untaxed and sitting there for months on end. Maybe cap it at 1k or so, people would be rushing out to get them, there would be far more compliance, far more of them on the road, and people would be doing far more mileage in them, so they would be creaming it off the fuel too...

MadYaker wrote: »
    Feckin hell haha! Are you gonna report him? Im guessing he lives in the back arse of nowhere and stays there if he can get away with that. I've passed checkpoints with guards checking tax and nct about 3 or 4 times in the last year around Galway city.

Report him for what ? Telling me a story ! For all I know he could be driving around a big farm or an island . Good luck to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

MadYaker wrote: »

How would that even cross your mind? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Juan Pablo wrote: »
    Not sure if it qualifies as a luxobarge but have my Audi up for sale at the moment. Relocating back to Dublin shortly so commute going from 200km per day to around 10km, no need for the big diesel anymore.

3.0 TDi

why does it have a cd changer and a cd player , seems a bit pointless ha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

That's for the navigation disc I'd say

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

Same in my e60, cd player + cd changer + dvd drive for navigation

Thanks to the "high" taxes and aversion of anything that is expensive to tax, these cars are pretty much free in Ireland.

A search for S-class diesels between 1999-2002 in Finland, where VRT rates are similar to Ireland but a combined yearly diesel and vehicle tax for a S320 would be around €700, reveals asking prices of between €9000 and €23800. Even the cheapest tax free (pre VRT'd) one is €5500.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

samih wrote: »
    Thanks to the "high" taxes and aversion of anything that is expensive to tax, these cars are pretty much free in Ireland.

A search for S-class diesels between 1999-2002 in Finland, where VRT rates are similar to Ireland but a combined yearly diesel and vehicle tax for a S320 would be around €700, reveals asking prices of between €9000 and €23800. Even the cheapest tax free (pre VRT'd) one is €5500.

Finland has high second hand car prices because of the huge market for them in Russia and the Baltic States. If we had LHD cars here second hand prices would be higher because of the larger potential markiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭daz16

Something to rival all the E60 530d's
    2003 e320 cdi
    nct 6/14
    looks straight
    €3299
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mercedes-benz-e-class-cdi-diesel-avantg/6450913

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Bigus wrote: »

Funny you mention that. I sold my V8 petrol E34 BMW to a guy like that 10 years ago. He had 7 or 8 cars, all V8 petrols. None of them worth an awful lot. He lived in the midlands somewhere (near Longford / Roscrea iirc) and was never really stopped / checked for tax, although he had one car confiscated on him (plus a €60 fine for no tax)

So he saved himself thousands and thousands each year by not having his cars taxed

To be fair, a system that expects him to pay €15k in motor tax for a few old cars, of which he can only drive one at a time, is ludicrous

• Advertisement

Red Kev wrote: »
    Finland has high second hand car prices because of the huge market for them in Russia and the Baltic States. If we had LHD cars here second hand prices would be higher because of the larger potential markiet.

It's actually other way around, i.e. Finns buy second hand cars from the Baltic states. Finland is too expensive market for export purposes due to high registration charges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

That's for the navigation disc I'd say

no navigation on it as far as I can see, just the monochrome MMI display

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

no navigation on it as far as I can see, just the monochrome MMI display

Some A6 models had a basic nav with that screen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭lomb

daz16 wrote: »
    Something to rival all the E60 530d's
    2003 e320 cdi
    nct 6/14
    looks straight
    €3299
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mercedes-benz-e-class-cdi-diesel-avantg/6450913

That has the dodgy sensomatic brakes (2k and goes at these miles) and leaky transmission cooler that can take out the transmission , the miles are at a point that it is an economic write off. Nice car though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

unkel wrote: »
    Funny you mention that. I sold my V8 petrol E34 BMW to a guy like that 10 years ago. He had 7 or 8 cars, all V8 petrols. None of them worth an awful lot. He lived in the midlands somewhere (near Longford / Roscrea iirc) and was never really stopped / checked for tax, although he had one car confiscated on him (plus a €60 fine for no tax)

So he saved himself thousands and thousands each year by not having his cars taxed

To be fair, a system that expects him to pay €15k in motor tax for a few old cars, of which he can only drive one at a time, is ludicrous

If a forummer ever admitted to doing this, he would be called a bad man :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Juan Pablo

Some A6 models had a basic nav with that screen

Hadn't even noticed this anomaly until now! To clear up, No nav on this one, the additional 6 changer was (like everything else from Audi) an option on this model (see page 36). Probably more spent on the option list than what I'm selling it for now, looks like Audi didn't give much as standard (even the draw bar would have been £580). It didn't even have isofix as standard, had to pay audi €75 for the bar and fit it myself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/car/6306625
    Cheapest A8 TDI on sale in Ireland right now. Asking €6,300

http://cars.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/bmw-e32-735il-/6610369
    Classic barge. Love this shape 7ers. Asking €1,800, no mention of NCT though.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-735i-sport-new-nct/6574636
    Nice spec E65 735i. Asking €4,200 and just passed NCT.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2004-jaguar-xj-classic-se-auto-4dr/6530043
    Nice Jaaaaaag. NCT until 2015, but you need to make your way down to Antrim if you want it.
    Asking €4,360 (3650gbp)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

That is one of the worst A8's I've seen for sale yet, awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

That A8 looks an absolute shed.

The Jag is sweet though. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭faral

http://cars.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/bmw-e32-735il-/6610369
    Classic barge. Love this shape 7ers. Asking €1,800, no mention of NCT though.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-735i-sport-new-nct/6574636
    Nice spec E65 735i. Asking €4,200 and just passed NCT.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2004-jaguar-xj-classic-se-auto-4dr/6530043
    Nice Jaaaaaag. NCT until 2015, but you need to make your way down to Antrim if you want it.
    Asking €4,360 (3650gbp)

winner of this competition is Jaaaaaaag:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭Kaiser D

Bar the wheels and Carlow reg, I'm failing to see whats wrong with the A8...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

Kaiser D wrote: »

Seats, drivers door looks dodgy, manky, rotten colour....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

Kaiser D wrote: »

Agreed. A new set of rims, a wax/interior valet, and some tints and that car would look well.

It appears to be grey, but one pic makes it look purple'ish, and I don't reckon it would look like that in person. Granted, the pics are absolutely terrible, and he's not closed the drivers door in the photos, but if you got that for 5k, it's a good deal imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

How in the name of Jaysis did a car like that, with that engine end up registered in this country. Madness! Saw a silver vel satis on the motorway over the weekend and thought it looked class though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

Speaking of Jaaaags..

27795892.jpeg

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/jaguar-xj6/6603926

I've always wanted one, and as my old bangernomics motor is put out to pasture I'm getting more interested in these by the day. What's reliability like with them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

A big Megane with a VQ35.
    Deadly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,825 ✭✭✭✭bear1

How much would the tax have been on that Vel Satis when it was new I wonder... Plus I believe petrol wasn't very expensive then and salaries were not bad so it was probably quite affordable to own it.
    Thank God for the **** storm that happened later huh :(

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭ArnieSilvia

Nforce wrote: »
    Speaking of Jaaaags..

27795892.jpeg

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/jaguar-xj6/6603926

I've always wanted one, and as my old bangernomics motor is put out to pasture I'm getting more interested in these by the day. What's reliability like with them?

Went to buy this car last week

Seller wasn't honest about the car so I didn't proceed with buying.

On the phone I asked:

On the scale 1-10, 10 being brand new car in showroom what's the condition of bodywork and paint.
    His answer was 8.5
    Well, I read on pistonheads that there might be problem with paint due to alloy body not working well with its paint.
    So on this car pretty much every panel had laquer peel plus scratches on bottom of doors, cracked shiny bits of trim on bumpers etc etc
    Seller first thing opened the boot so I paid special attention to it and guess what, the edge at the window all corroded (as in old alloy wheels)
    Small crash damage around front light, would have to be looked at (bodyshop/paint)

In essence, if you buy a car like that you'd want it to be presentable and this one was starting to look shabby. OK from 4 meters but not up close.

On the phone seller said 160k, 178k miles in fact
    Seats showing signs of wear in line with mileage so I'd say it's genuine 178k if you care. He said "rear seats never been sat in" well questionable I'd say because they had brown hue (baby shyte/chocolate?) and presence of playstation wiring and dvd screen (very small, useless really) kinda show that there were kids involved.
    Wood on the steering wheel and gear knob didn't match the dashboard (darker on the dash) but quite a few early ones 2003-2005 models have this "feature"
    Small hole on passenger door card, bit of an eyesore thats all
    Tyres need replacing and not the same, not a good sign
    Car fresheners in the boot so probably damp there

I was driven in it and mechanically it was ok as far as I could tell, no funny noises, gearbox ok etc but I wasn't at the wheel myself so no idea about vibrations from steering/brakes. Power/performance ok but not staggering. It's a massive car and it takes a lot space to turn it around.

In the end I hooked my autocom cdp+ interface but it didn't have much diagnostics on this model (usually it runs through all car's systems such as abs, aircon, lights etc etc, there was no OBDII (engine) related errors.

In the end the diagnostics was a deal breaker. I was a bit disappointed that I couldn't run through all systems. If I could tell that apart from bodywork everything else is fine then yeah, why not. It looks the part, drives like tank and has that sense of occasion when you're in it. In this particular case I walked away. Seller lied and there could be other issues that I couldn't see so it was too much risk for me. I told him that I want to view one more car (which was true).

Afterwards, the owner was piss_d off that I didn't take it (he thought that I'll say "yeah, lovely") and changed the price on ad plus put some smart comment on it about computer geeks coming to view the car :pac: and to make sure his car is the last one you view.

• Advertisement

By the way, it would be great if this thread turned into some form of feedback from people who went to view the car and didn't buy because it was a dog or owner was dodgy etc. Would save everybody unnecessary trips, insurance quotations and the hassle.

THE POWER OF BOARDS :D

Went to view a CLS 5l week before last from done deal.
    The( one )owner who paid around 100k for it . The front was crash damaged with the panel not lining up. He asked me what I saw and I said the panel didn't line up. He said he had rearended someone and shrugged. Every panel was dented and the rear bumper looked like it was touched up with a paint brush. Every alloy was scuffed. First service was at main dealer, second was at Atlas Tyre and Exhaust , one service (all 3 in 9 years) was at a small garage where it had ONE balljoint changed. Turning the steering wheel showed around half an inch of play before the wheel turned. It had in fairness passed an NCT recently so one can overlook that. Also the car wore matched premium tyres so that end was looked after.
    When I looked at the exhaust they were black and it wasn't dirt or rust. Not being a diesel I suspected the engine was burning oil and asked him to rev it. He asked me what I expected to see. I said possibly smoke. He then said to me look at the area (posh part of Dublin) look at the type of man I am do you think it will be burning oil? This car has been babyied etc.
    I told him Im only here to look to buy a car and needed him to rev it. So he sat in the car and revved it adding around 100 revs from idle. I stared at him and said sorry to waste your time and walked away :rolleyes:

Im on the hunt for a 500 or 560 SEC as a second car now due to road tax issues. I doubt I could enjoy paying 2k for a piece of paper and like my TT roadster just fine as my daily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

I enjoy reading stories like that, i'd laugh in his face about the area of Dublin bit. Pain in the ass all the same. Is it still on Done Deal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

Went to buy this car last week

Seller wasn't honest about the car so I didn't proceed with buying.

Thanks for the feedback on that particular car. In fairness it is at the lower end of the purchase scale for that particular model and year. A mate of mine has had an Merc S500 for the last couple of years and it is a joy to travel in despite the not insignificant running costs. I've always preferred the XJ, though and need to scratch that Jaaaag itch.

I enjoy reading stories like that, i'd laugh in his face about the area of Dublin bit. Pain in the ass all the same. Is it still on Done Deal?

What do you think? Don't wish to link directly.

Nforce wrote: »
    Thanks for the feedback on that particular car. In fairness it is at the lower end of the purchase scale for that particular model and year. A mate of mine has had an Merc S500 for the last couple of years and it is a joy to travel in despite the not insignificant running costs. I've always preferred the XJ, though and need to scratch that Jaaaag itch.

I know what you mean, it's cheap for what it is but for me it was a car that someone used up and wanted to offload for someone else to worry about. I don't buy unloved cars anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

lomb wrote: »
    What do you think? Don't wish to link directly.

The pictures look purposely awful. But was certainly worth a look at that price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

put some smart comment on it about computer geeks coming to view the car :pac: and to make sure his car is the last one you view.

done deal is only on computers?
    idiot

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

I'm tempted to ring him and ask what a "computer head" is.

Tigger wrote: »
    done deal is only on computers?
    idiot

Those sort of cars seem to attract people who enjoy lording it over others. The sellers are the time wasters. To be honest I wouldn't NOW even turn the key on a car if it didn't look cared for -that includes dings/dents relative to year/prestige, service history money no object, general interior condition.

After that I would take it on a test drive looking for drivetrain/suspension /engine noises and issues, finally checking fluids and operation of all electrical items.

The pictures look purposely awful. But was certainly worth a look at that price.

It isn't that cheap, after I viewed it he increased the price to 7900!!!! to annoy me I suspect or because he didn't wish to drop on 7500 but allowed nothing off in his calculation. Its now back to 7500. The other thing is the revenue VRT calculator lists the open market selling price as something like 5200 which is low when you think about it for a 05 500. I guess no one wants them for any money but that's that what it is. In the end it will probably get traded into the trade at around 5k who will spend around 800 getting the alloys refurbed and the body touched up and valeted and get sold on with with a '3 month engine and gearbox' warranty for 7.5 or 8 or exported.
    Its certainly a massive drop on its new value but that's the vendors problem not the buyers who is buying sold as seen with no comeback or warranty so needs to carefully check everything.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement