Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LUXOBARGE (sub5k) of the week/day

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Jesus. wrote: »
    I see. A decent auto box on a diesel can be quite nice to drive. I heard the Phaetons are just bloated Passats but I'd say they'd have to be a bit more luxurious?

No, they're built on the VAG D1 platform, same as the "new" Bentleys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

...some photos of the sovereign I bought am collecting it on Tuesday...

Oh dear. I seem to have made a little naughty wee-wee... :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

I see. A decent auto box on a diesel can be quite nice to drive. I heard the Phaetons are just bloated Passats but I'd say they'd have to be a bit more luxurious?

Just look at how they were made and you'll realise who ever told you that is full of ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,191 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

CianRyan wrote: »
    Just look at how they were made and you'll realise who ever told you that is full of ****.

Are you saying my 1.4Tsi Passat is not really a Bentley? Gutted. :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

Sobanek wrote: »
    7 Series must be a V12 :D

Depends on the 7 series, and requirements. The fastest E38 is actually the 740i Sport, which is a V8. The V12 had more power and torque but performance on the road was almost identical to the standard V8. The Sport had a different gearbox though.

If I buy another E38 it'll be a 750iL, but that's only because I'm a masochist and I've already had a 740i. Most people should be aiming for the 740i Sport.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

CianRyan wrote: »

Ah, this is where I heard it:

"The Volkswagen Phaeton is an uber-saloon that looks too much like a swollen Passat to convince most people, and its heavy steel body gives it cumbersome dynamics. The only place to enjoy it is from the back seat."

http://www.topgear.com/uk/volkswagen/phaeton

So it only looks like a swollen Passat. That's a bit different!

I knew I'd heard something along those lines somewhere though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭Kaiser D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

If that was registered here I'd take it!

Yeah, thats a real shame..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

How did he manage to take such awful photos???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

At first glance I thought it said 2011... Bit of shock. Very ugly car to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,825 ✭✭✭✭bear1

At first glance I thought it said 2011... Bit of shock. Very ugly car to be fair.

The front I don't mind, but the back isn't easy to like.
    I've seen one once and the noise of the V8 more than makes up for the looks.
    They are absolutely huge as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

Now, that is some deal (UK)

2007 Audi A8 3.0 TDI Quattro for Ł5,995 :eek:
    There is a catch though...
    172k miles on it
    media?id=58a5629eb5ff54aa9ad856ef3d2e01e9&width=640&height=480

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/95482777738/Audi-A8-QUAT...

^^^ ya bastard!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

So it only looks like a swollen Passat. That's a bit different!

Exactly. And that is precisely why I would love to own one. A 4.2l V8 petrol with just two badges: "Passat" and "1.9TDI" :D

unkel wrote: »
    Exactly. And that is precisely why I would love to own one. A 4.2l V8 petrol with just two badges: "Passat" and "1.9TDI" :D

Why not a W8 Passat then? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Cause I want a Bentley that looks like a Skoda ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

Now that's what I'd call a Sleeper!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Such a cool car. Definitely on my want list!

Now that's what I'd call a Sleeper!!

A Passat W8 with a 1.6 badge would be a good sleeper too :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Sobanek wrote: »
    Now, that is some deal (UK)

2007 Audi A8 3.0 TDI Quattro for Ł5,995 :eek:
    There is a catch though...
    172k miles on it
    media?id=58a5629eb5ff54aa9ad856ef3d2e01e9&width=640&height=480

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/95482777738/Audi-A8-QUAT...

Ya Plick.......:p. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Senior Bill

Update on this, was meet at Gatwick, Guy is genuine. some marks that did not show on photos, wheels were kerbed, tyres, while recent, and uniform were budget. He allowed 250 to have the wheels done, he also gave me a new set of premiem mats he had gotten for his birthday, all in all a nice guy he has had the car since 2008, now has Mercedes E250 Coupe a nice car, but not as good as what it replaces in my opinion.
    Had booked to return on 17.15 sailing from Hollyhead and after he had entered post code i was on my way. I wont bore you, but due to my stupidity. I missed not only the 5 o clock, but the 8 o clock sailing as well.
    I drove more than 4 hundred miles for most of it I wished I was driving my Lexus 430 or my Phaeton
    thats not to say this is a bad drive not at all just not as good as the other 2 mentioned, I was disappointed, if you have followed the thread you will know, I only got interested in having a Jaguar when Sobanek posted one for sale in the north which looked good and I bought. The new one is a long wheel base, and this I think is the reason it fells a little less engaging than the blue one. Also this one has 19" wheels as against 17" on the Blue one. so a harsher ride.
    As someone who has been lurking on this site for years I know that people complain about the standard of drivers here, let me tell you its no different over there, I had one incident where I so lost my temper I invited the other guy to pull off the motor way and speak to me, at first he was willing and did up to the point when I got out of my car and approached, he seen my face and headed away as quick as his ford focus would go. I have been busy but I will post more photos later

I'm shocked that you're actually in Ireland, lol! I thought you were UK based which explain a lot with regards the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Senior Bill

I'm shocked that you're actually in Ireland, lol! I thought you were UK based which explain a lot with regards the car.

Now is a great time to buy bigger engine, tax has brought the price down, even if you buy in UK, the VRT omsp is way down. anyone want to see photos of the Phaeton or Lexus?

^^^ ehhh... both!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Luxobarges are gone really scarce of late especially the Lexus LS or the older GS.

Truckermal wrote: »
    Luxobarges are gone really scarce of late especially the Lexus LS or the older GS.

I think people have finally woken up to the bargains out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

bear1 wrote: »
    I think people have finally woken up to the bargains out there.

Oh wait!!!
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/view/6711339

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Holy shheeeet that's some amount of car for that money.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Advertisement

No NCT though..
    Still it's a nice rival for the S class of the same year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 335 ✭✭brophy

Audi A8
    <2k with Nct to 2015 according to advert

27919196.jpeg

brophy wrote: »
    Audi A8

27919196.jpeg

Oohhh that is nice! I like the part where it says "sorry too many extras to list" nice marketing there, makes you very interested in knowing what those extras are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,582 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

bear1 wrote: »
    Oohhh that is nice! I like the part where it says "sorry too many extras to list" nice marketing there, makes you very interested in knowing what those extras are.

No it doesn't. Makes me think there's sod all extras.

Love the "430" reg, proper rich, lol. Was behind a 07 430 the other day, didn't think they were around that late/have never taken notice before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

brophy wrote: »
    Audi A8

Why take the pics in the forest ffs? I suspect patchy paint, no extras and a mini dealer with the CAPS LOCK ON.

Love the "430" reg, proper rich, lol. Was behind a 07 430 the other day, didn't think they were around that late/have never taken notice before.

Yeah, the new model came in 07, so likely a few older ones regged that year too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Now is a great time to buy bigger engine, tax has brought the price down, even if you buy in UK, the VRT omsp is way down. anyone want to see photos of the Phaeton or Lexus?

Please do, theres a post a picture of your car thread I'm sure there's plenty In there who would be only to happy to see pics.

On mobile so can't post link but should be handy enough to find.

It makes me interested :p

Please do, theres a post a picture of your car thread I'm sure there's plenty In there who would be only to happy to see pics.

On mobile so can't post link but should be handy enough to find.

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/314368/831/#post89753165

I'm on mobile too :p

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Tech savvy show off :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,191 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

The first and last 7 series ever to better an S-Class. Lovely old bus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

What would you put down if you had too many extra's to list? My Mini had almost all the option boxes ticked when bought, even i forget how many extra's there are sometimes!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

The first and last 7 series ever to better an S-Class.

So, so wrong.
    TBi wrote: »
    What would you put down if you had too many extra's to list? My Mini had almost all the option boxes ticked when bought, even i forget how many extra's there are sometimes!

An enthusiast writes out the list. A real enthusiast copies and pastes a list they already had. A bullshot artist writes "too many extras to list".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭JP 1800

Kaiser D wrote: »

ABC problem, hence uneconomical to repair, to do the pump properly with new fluid, filters ect will cost over 2K, I have plenty of experience with the w215 and its ABC foibles.

TBi wrote: »

There's never too many extras to list - and the more extras there are, the more important it is to list them! Generally, "too many extras to list" means "leather".

my favourite is when they say "HIGH SPEC!!" and the pictures show manual AC and only front elec windows.. usually see this on 3 series ads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

There's never too many extras to list...
    These are always the ads to list such amazing extra's like ABS, drivers airbag, CD player and other stuff I'd expect as standard in a car.

These ads usually also include "careful lady owner", "motorway miles" and my favourite "first to see will buy" to complete a full set of car ad cliches.

If they stopped talking nonsense maybe they'd have space for all the extras.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement