Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LUXOBARGE (sub5k) of the week/day

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,825 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Big Nasty wrote: »
    If its being sold in the UK maybe they're just putting down MOT as people wouldn't know what NCT / DOE is.

Yeah but it's written that the MOT has been done locally which implies that it has a UK MOT.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mercedes-benz/6775264

Can anyone spot the heated seats? Cause as far as I can tell it doesn't have any.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

bear1 wrote: »
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mercedes-benz/6775264

Can anyone spot the heated seats? Cause as far as I can tell it doesn't have any.

The switch doesn't seem to be there. Odd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

While I love the XJS, I'd never own one. It would be sitting on the driveway all the time. Mighty fine to look at, a nightmare to own though.

• Advertisement

Sobanek wrote: »
    The switch doesn't seem to be there. Odd.

I was thinking the same, that it should be next to the seat position buttons.
    I hate when people lie about the spec that's on their car.

Would necessarily call the XJS a luxobarge but it's defo a sportyluxobarge :)
    They look absolutely beautiful for a near 40 year old car!

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭ek9er

It's not possible to put a foreign NCT/MOT on a car not registered in that country.
    Don't know how they got to have one and even still I can't see any NCT on the windshield.

You can mot a foreign car. You would have to do it first in order to put it on UK plates.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Senior Bill

ek9er wrote: »
    You can mot a foreign car. You would have to do it first in order to put it on UK plates.

How would one go about this please? Bill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

This S500 is back again at a greatly reduced price:

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mercedes-s/6795763

Nicely specced, but it doesn't have a scrap of history (I literally rang every Merc dealer in the country about it a few months ago). The one guy I got through to who knew the car, described it as "dog rough".

It's a real shame when such an expensive car ends up being neglected through the ownership of people who have no respect for it. It'd be sitting outside my house had it been maintained.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Ded_Zebra wrote: »

The hood ornament ruins the cars long, clean front end.
    I hate when idiot stick those yokes on where they were never supposed to be.

So much better looking like this.
    640px-Jaguar_XJS_3%2C6.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭ek9er

How would one go about this please? Bill

You book an mot as normal with a garage in the uk. You will get an mot cert with the foreign reg on it. After you reg the car the dvla will give you a new mot cert with the new uk reg on it

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭JohnxF

CianRyan wrote: »
    The hood ornament ruins the cars long, clean front end.
    I hate when idiot stick those yokes on where they were never supposed to be.

Beautiful cars as originally designed. Adding the bonnet mascot ruins it, as did the facelift. I would love one but would be very afraid of the costs and reliability of a Jag of that vintage - it would have to be a V12 too though! When you consider that the 928, SEC and 6 series were it's main rivals at the time how do you think the years have been to them? I'd say the 928 and SEC would be the better bet for a usable driver today, with the 6 following close behind and the Jag still on the driveway having failed to proceed.

I remember a group tests in a UK magazine comparing the 928, XJS and 635 I think. As usual in the UK mags the Jag won in the end despite all the preceeding comments in the test. And when a new Jag came out (like the XJ40s) they would then admit how poor and outdated the previous ones were nd how the new one was a great advance to bring them back into the game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,191 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

JohnxF wrote: »

I remember a group tests in a UK magazine comparing the 928, XJS and 635 I think. As usual in the UK mags the Jag won in the end despite all the preceeding comments in the test. And when a new Jag came out (like the XJ40s) they would then admit how poor and outdated the previous ones were nd how the new one was a great advance to bring them back into the game!

As a BMW fan back then loved those 7 series, S class and XJ giant tests. The XJ40 was lauded at the time but man was that car an under engineered heap, dated so fast as was miles off the pace in a couple of years. Still won the UK test though. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭lomb

daRobot wrote: »

Nicely specced, but it doesn't have a scrap of history (I literally rang every Merc dealer in the country about it a few months ago). The one guy I got through to who knew the car, described it as "dog rough".

It's a real shame when such an expensive car ends up being neglected through the ownership of people who have no respect for it. It'd be sitting outside my house had it been maintained.

How much are they with history ? What are they new here I think they list at 165000 and even with a 10 % discount that's 150000. Getting it for 10 at 8 years is absolute peanuts if its a runner. I looked into getting a Cl 500, CLS 500, and S 500 of the w140 kind but ended up with a 500 SEC( See the post on the classic forum). If tax was cheap I would probably consider a CL 500 post 2006. I think they are around 25k now, not a lot for a car that lists at 196000!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Pics are probably a year old too judging by the external temperature shown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Pics are probably a year old too judging by the external temperature shown.

looks like something pissing from under the engine too !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Theanswers

It's not possible to put a foreign NCT/MOT on a car not registered in that country.
    Don't know how they got to have one and even still I can't see any NCT on the windshield.

Incorrect. One book's the MOT via the Chassis Number. I've done it myself in the past.

Cheapest D3 A8 is now €5,750.

What happened to all sub-4k ones?

This comes to mind

sbN1REY.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

lomb wrote: »
    How much are they with history ? What are they new here I think they list at 165000 and even with a 10 % discount that's 150000. Getting it for 10 at 8 years is absolute peanuts if its a runner. I looked into getting a Cl 500, CLS 500, and S 500 of the w140 kind but ended up with a 500 SEC( See the post on the classic forum). If tax was cheap I would probably consider a CL 500 post 2006. I think they are around 25k now, not a lot for a car that lists at 196000!

If the VRT on the CL500 was the same as the S500 (about 2.5k for a 2006 from the uk), I'd have one over the w221, as they're very reasonable in the UK. But it's significantly higher.

There's a 2006 S500 with FSH in Kellys for 12k, and I'm sure you'd get something off that, but it's SWB and basic enough spec so not for me.

You'll pick up a nice one in a private sale in the UK for £10k, so around 14-15k clears one with great spec, and FMBSH.

When a car like that has no history, there's something up with it, or someone is trying to hide something. Just like that clown whose CLS you viewed. The amount of things to go wrong, even on a fully documented car of this value is insane, and with no idea of what's been done to that car over the last while, it would be a huge risk.

My guess is that either there is or was a timing chain issue, or issues with the 7 speed box, both of which are common enough. Then of course at those miles you're looking at new air shocks, and no way of knowing if they were replaced.

Has the potential to be the biggest headwrecker of a car ever, and that coupled with a seller who spells 'very' as 'wery' on his multiple adverts, leads me to the conclusion, that from a risk mitigation perspective, even at 10k, it's still a really bad buy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭lomb

If the VRT on the CL500 was the same as the S500 (about 2.5k for a 2006 from the uk), I'd have one over the w221, as they're very reasonable in the UK. But it's significantly higher.

There's a 2006 S500 with FSH in Kellys for 12k, and I'm sure you'd get something off that, but it's SWB and basic enough spec so not for me.

You'll pick up a nice one in a private sale in the UK for £10k, so around 14-15k clears one with great spec, and FMBSH.

When a car like that has no history, there's something up with it, or someone is trying to hide something. Just like that clown whose CLS you viewed. The amount of things to go wrong, even on a fully documented car of this value is insane, and with no idea of what's been done to that car over the last while, it would be a huge risk.

My guess is that either there is or was a timing chain issue, or issues with the 7 speed box, both of which are common enough. Then of course at those miles you're looking at new air shocks, and no way of knowing if they were replaced.

Has the potential to be the biggest headwrecker of a car ever, and that coupled with a seller who spells 'very' as 'wery' on his multiple adverts, leads me to the conclusion, that from a risk mitigation perspective, even at 10k, it's still a really bad buy.

Ya, in reality of course what you really want is a one owner car where it was money no object and for some reason he was lazy and didnt replace the car for 7 or 8 years as he had better things to do. The only reason he is selling now is that he wants a brand new one. Those cars do exist but unfortunately they get sold very quickly and usually at a premium. Its all the rubbish that hangs around. What you dont want is someone who bought a car they couldnt really afford or had no interest in it, ran it into the ground never changing the oil or fixing issues and then when some big issue comes up to try to offload it on a victim who hasnt got the several hours it takes to go through its issues,find out its a piece of dirt and waste a lot of time.
    The CLS I viewed the guy was a clown. He paid well over a hundred grand for it ,first service in Issac Agnew in Belfast driving up from Dublin so it doesnt sound as if he is a money no object guy and right enough second service was in Atlas Tyre and Exhaust. And it was downhill from there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

The CLS I viewed the guy was a clown. He paid well over a hundred grand for it ,first service in Issac Agnew in Belfast driving up from Dublin so it doesnt sound as if he is a money no object guy and right enough second service was in Atlas Tyre and Exhaust. And it was downhill from there.
    wonder why he got it done in belfast, unless he was up there for some other reason, the cost of fuel in a cls up and down plus the time would make it a nigh on waste of time for just a basic service surely! Also LOL at atlas!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

Idbatterim wrote: »
    wonder why he got it done in belfast, unless he was up there for some other reason, the cost of fuel in a cls up and down plus the time would make it a nigh on waste of time for just a basic service surely! Also LOL at atlas!

An atlas service in the merc book would almost be worse than a "no history" car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭randy hickey

I was just about to post this in the Bangernomics thread when I remembered this thread.

A bag of sand for a 00 S-Class with 80,000 miles:

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mercedes-benz-s-class-low-mileage-no/6785137

28708730.jpeg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

There's something nice about an s class on basic wheels. Nothing to prove - sorta thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

colm_mcm wrote: »
    There's something nice about an s class on basic wheels. Nothing to prove - sorta thing.

Looks close to scrap to me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭Kaiser D

The interior looks quite dismal.

I think it looks in quite good condition for a 14 year old car.
    Spec isn't the highest for an S class but it looks like a nice cruiser.

• Moderators Posts: 12,385 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

An atlas service in the merc book would almost be worse than a "no history" car.

A buddy of mine got 2 tyres changed in Atlas not too long ago, during which the car had to be towed to a Volvo dealership, where it was diagnosed with a central electronics module failure. Think they said itd be about €1k to replace. Still no idea how they did this, but his wife went to pick up the car from Atlas, they drove it off the ramp no problem, after she paid there was a guy with his nose under the bonnet and from here things got worse.

Lots of tearing the car apart by volvo, and reconnecting modules 1 by 1 "fixed" it, but for how long.

Once Advance Pitstop told my girlfriend she needed 2 new brake cables. I decided to get the fitted by my mechanic, to which he informed me 1 brake cable is brand new already, and the other is fine. Problem was brake cylinders and warped brake drums.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

colm_mcm wrote: »

I'd say the complete opposite.
    Everything to prove but they lack to wallet to prove it.

It's like buying a 316i for the badge.

CianRyan wrote: »
    I'd say the complete opposite.
    Everything to prove but they lack to wallet to prove it.

It's like buying a 316i for the badge.

Still, 6 months of savings and you have a taxed, LPGd S-Class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

It costs €999 ffs, buy new wheels!

MadYaker wrote: »
    It costs €999 ffs, buy new wheels!

+1 and I'd hazard a guess you could even get it down to 800e.
    I see nothing wrong with that car at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

+1 and I'd hazard a guess you could even get it down to 800e.
    I see nothing wrong with that car at all.

+1
    A great "drive it till they confiscate it" car, where the purchase price is less than the motor tax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭rocky

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volvo-s80-2-9-litre-petrol/6427777

2004 Volvo S80 2.9 Litre Petrol € 1,499

28941721.jpeg

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volvo-s80-3-2-leather-auto-full-s-h/6770109

2008 (!) Volvo S80 3.2 Leather Auto full s.h AWD € 4,400
    28635301.jpeg

I don't like the drive in the S80, but how wrong can you go for 4400?

• Advertisement

That 2008 S80 is highly suspicious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

That 2008 S80 is highly suspicious.

Large engined petrol Volvo from 2008, I reckon it has to be priced VERY cheaply to sell.

There are a number of other ads showing for that seller too.

Deerpark take their photos there don't they?

I presume it belongs to them, but its been flogged off as a private sale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

If that's the 3.2 S80 that I *think* it is (and there isn't many about) it was for sale a few years ago for many, many multiples of that price. If that's as good as it appears it's an insane amount of pretty new car for the money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Kaiser D wrote: »
    Deerpark take their photos there don't they?

I was thinking the very same thing.

Looking at various images on their website I can't say for sure if it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Photos are taken with an iPhone that has the dodgy camera problem too:D

You guys are like a bunch of internet detectives haha!

I bought my BMW for €2,250 which was €1k under retail.
    Spent €1,450 on it so far.

That's why it's suspicious :P

Its mad, that S80 is cheaper than most 08 Corsas on Donedeal...

What are the chances of getting done for that of fooling around with tax? Has anyone here ever heard of it happening?

Just over 1.8k to tax that Volvo :D
    Love it!

How the hell did they do that???
    I'd also presume that the insurance is down as a 2.0 - fairly bloody risky.
    Surprised the NCT centre hasn't picked up on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

i don't think the NCT care what engine is in the car, provided its safe.

and perhaps it is a 2 litre, declared properly. someone could have fitted the 6 cylinder from the is200 for tax purposes. makes the car much more economically viable imo if you want a luxury car with tolerable bills.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement