Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LUXOBARGE (sub5k) of the week/day

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mercedes-s-class/6702856

28292316.jpeg

Has anybody taken a look at this? I may go and take a look at it later in the week

kupus wrote: »

28292316.jpeg

Has anybody taken a look at this? I may go and take a look at it later in the week

Nobody has gone to see it,
    It says right there "first to see will buy" :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

kupus wrote: »

28292316.jpeg

an s class without a v8/v12 makes baby jesus cry

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

Every time I see a 280, I wince. So Oirish.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

Not to mention very cheap on petrol.
    Cheaper than running it on anything else, granted.

I've never, ever taken MPG into account when buying a car. I would - and will - happily drive a Rolls, Bentley or Roadrunner in single figures. Tax is always my bugbear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭pcardin

rovoagho wrote: »
    I've never, ever taken MPG into account when buying a car. I would - and will - happily drive a Rolls, Bentley or Roadrunner in single figures. Tax is always my bugbear.

yes, but speaking about that S280 it's nonsense to buy it as MPG is even slightly worse than S430. that engine is too small for W220

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

pcardin wrote: »
    yes, but speaking about that S280 it's nonsense to buy it as MPG is even slightly worse than S430. that engine is too small for W220

It's all about the tax, don't you know! That €300 odd difference per annum (less than 3 tanks of fuel) is all important if you are Irish.

It's all about the tax, don't you know! That €300 odd difference per annum (less than 3 tanks of fuel) is all important if you are Irish.

not to mention that some engine parts could be harder to find as i doubt many of them were ever sold outside ireland. the s500 is probably the easiest to look after in terms of replacement parts because of how many there are worldwide.

That's bonkers. Yes Irish people will continue to buy them!

(For the record, what I meant about was that I simply can't afford the tax on a barge at the moment. If I had the choice, I'd be buying a 600. Why compromise once you get over 3l?)

• Advertisement

not to mention that some engine parts could be harder to find as i doubt many of them were ever sold outside ireland. the s500 is probably the easiest to look after in terms of replacement parts because of how many there are worldwide.

true. but I would recommend to forget about W220 as such. Tax and petrol involved with these are the least of the problems. W140 was/still is way better car in my books, it just that it looks like a dinosaur... :)

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-750il-individual/6852161

If this wasnt silver id have to go break my piggy bank, my christ thats a spec and a half.

29041198.jpeg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Perfect for a Mc Donnalds drive through.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-750il-individual/6852161

If this wasnt silver id have to go break my piggy bank, my christ thats a spec and a half.

29041198.jpeg

Jayzz, that is some collection of outdated vintage electronics :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Can you be pulled for using that phone? :pac:

If it was Orient Blue over black, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. For half the price.

• Moderators Posts: 12,390 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Air freshener in a fancy luxobarge? Does anyone just immediately think its covering up a smell of something? Damp?

Air freshener in a fancy luxobarge? Does anyone just immediately think its covering up a smell of something? Damp?

if it was a new car smell magic tree id say its justified, love those things, that air freshner looks quite big though

CianRyan wrote: »
    Perfect for a Mc Donnalds drive through.
    ive those tray tables on my e38 seats, youd barely fit a big mac on them. they look damn cool though
    Jayzz, that is some collection of outdated vintage electronics :D
    most new mid level cars still dont have half the kit that e38 does
    CianRyan wrote: »
    Can you be pulled for using that phone? :pac:

no, its not a mobile phone , its cabled, although id say a gard would try.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭Kaiser D

I always wanted a car with a wired phone...

Kaiser D wrote: »

E38 fromt and rear phones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Nice bus, would that have been a legit Irish plate for 2000 or is it an import?

First thing i'd do is loose the wheels and clean the whole car, looks a little grubby in the engine bay. I reckon you could buy it, tax it, sell it on after a year in the UK and still break even.

Nice bus, would that have been a legit Irish plate for 2000 or is it an import?

First thing i'd do is loose the wheels and clean the whole car, looks a little grubby in the engine bay. I reckon you could buy it, tax it, sell it on after a year in the UK and still break even.

If it had the coolbox id buy it just for that, the edc and the rear monitor then sell it on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,301 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Beautiful 7 series. If it wasn;t a LWB i would be tempted love them in silver however

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,595 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

There's something about a wired car phone that says Michael Douglas in Wall Street (in a good way)! One of the ultimate true luxobarge accessories!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Funnily enough, Michael Douglas had a 750Li in The Game. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I'd love to know what government it was owned by, going by left right hand drive and what appears to be miles on the clock and import plate number it must have been UK. Would be pure fancy if it had bullet proof class, plenty of dodgy characters would be interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Isn't that the E38 I linked ages with different wheels on it now?

Edit: Well, it is.

1383040_10153346552980176_1165921170_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

^^^ I'd prefer those wheels

Nforce wrote: »
    ^^^ I'd prefer those wheels

I think you speak for everyone.

• Advertisement

What kind of a moron takes m-paras off an e38?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Was looking a lot better there. Was that in Swords LM?

Big Nasty wrote: »
    Was looking a lot better there. Was that in Swords LM?

Possibly! It was at a Car sales show-type event.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭Kaiser D

I don't even fancy the M-Pars on it tbh.

Kaiser D wrote: »

I had a wired phone in my X type, there was even a simcard in it! Foolishly I thought there was an option to use the phone kit handsfree too.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭faral

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

faral wrote: »

Lovely car, criminal that the motor tax for one year is the price of the car, such a waste of a perfectly good car, the emissions and resources used to create a new fuel efficient diesel poverty spec cancer causing diesel super mini would do far more damage to mother earth if you were lead to believe that man could ever change the climate of earth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

Christ I hate air fresheners. It's the car equivalent of spraying lynx onto a sweaty t-shirt. Nasty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

Electric seatbelts.... how does that work?

I know a few years ago I rented a car in the US and when I sat into the drivers seat the seatbelt kind of slid back from the front of the door into its normal position. I thought I was being strangled for a second.

I've never seen that in a car here, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,843 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Having an electric seatbelt tells me either:

1) absolute laziness
    2) just another electrical item to go wrong.

Can't see the point of them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

bear1 wrote: »
    Having an electric seatbelt tells me either:

1) absolute laziness
    2) just another electrical item to go wrong.

Can't see the point of them

I had a car with electric seatbelts, and in the next one I actually missed them.

Its like driving automatics, you'll miss it when you go manual

A lot of large American coupes had them. In fact given the length of the doors on some of them it would be extremely uncomfortable trying to reach back for the seat belt without them. Old E-Class coupe had them too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Nice well specced newer model A8 with over a years NCT, €5500.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/05-audi-a8-3-7-quattro-high-spec/6673797

28147377.jpeg

http://cars.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/rolls-royce-silver-shadow/6802744

And a RR with "patina", but €56 tax and NCT free, it leaves plenty of cash for petrol and the servicing bills...nice way to get around, although they are insanely expensive to fix if they start to rust. Tantalisingly cheap at €3250.

28797976.jpeg

an s class without a v8/v12 makes baby jesus cry

Biggest selling S-Class worldwide is the S320 CDI. 6 cylinders sell far more than 8 or 12 cylinders for the simple reason that overall they make more sense financially.
    rovoagho wrote: »
    Every time I see a 280, I wince. So Oirish.

Mercedes didn't develop the S280 solely for the Irish market, no idea how somebody could think that they'd spend so much on developing one version of a car for such a tiny market. It's a huge seller in Asia and the S280 and S320 petrol sell well in many European countries, including Germany. But the biggest seller for them is the S320 CDI and it outsold the S400 CDI in huge numbers.

The "Oirish" and "Paddy spec" comments here are getting wearysome, have a look at how badly the Germans spec their cars and you might change your mind on it.

Red Kev wrote: »
    The "Oirish" and "Paddy spec" comments here are getting wearysome, have a look at how badly the Germans spec their cars and you might change your mind on it.

yes, I once saw a W140 in Essen that did had a cloth seats and hubcaps and was in nonmetalic green colour. Never seen one again anywhere else in Europe. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,544 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

One of the few cars that turn up here that looks absolutely right & genuine.
    I think he is under pricing that if all is well. Thats still a very respectable car, not just a drive it til it breaks type car.

yes, I once saw a W140 in Essen that did had a cloth seats and hubcaps and was in nonmetalic green colour. Never seen one again anywhere else in Europe. :D

Irish reg? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭dmc17

daRobot wrote: »
    Christ I hate air fresheners. It's the car equivalent of spraying lynx onto a sweaty t-shirt. Nasty.

Not necessarily. If you clean the car first then it's the equivalent of having a shower and putting on some aftershave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

To cheer you people up on the 'paddy spec' - Germans have to pay extra for Metallic paint on a 7 series - all the way up to the 740Li xDrive.

But then, it's more expensive here, so I'd say it's no surprise that it is included in the price :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭randy hickey

Just to put into context what a bargain that actually is, here is the same car,same spec, same year, but with higher mileage for sale in the UK, at Stg£2,790 (€3,400) - and that's before you'd even mention VRT:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201404283757799/sort/default/usedcars/make/lexus/radius/1501/page/1/onesearchad/used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew/maximum-age/over_10_years_old/postcode/bt39jp/keywords/2002/model/ls?logcode=p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,183 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Valetta wrote: »
    Electric seatbelts.... how does that work?

I know a few years ago I rented a car in the US and when I sat into the drivers seat the seatbelt kind of slid back from the front of the door into its normal position. I thought I was being strangled for a second.

I've never seen that in a car here, though.
    Due to the length of the doors in some two-door cars, some of them have an electric sliding mechanism that "hands" you the top of the seat belt when the ignition is switched on.
    Big Nasty wrote: »
    ...Old E-Class coupe had them too.

Yup. My brother had a 2005 CLK that had 'em.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement