Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LUXOBARGE (sub5k) of the week/day

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Red Kev wrote: »
    ...And a RR with "patina"...

By Cheeses that'd be some fun. Elbow-patches and tweed cap locked and loaded! :pac::pac::pac:

"Flying Spares" - I like that! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

Valetta wrote: »
    Electric seatbelts.... how does that work?

On the Lexus he's just referring to the height adjuster for the belt, which is electric. It's something you wouldn't even notice to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

daRobot wrote: »
    On the Lexus he's just referring to the height adjuster for the belt, which is electric. It's something you wouldn't even notice to be honest.

Yes but a nice gadget anyway and nothing worse than the belt cutting into your neck.
    The height isn't even adjustable on my car which imo is a major f up by audi.
    Going back to electric belts, presenter arms that basically hand you the belt are wonderful things specially with coupes where its a fair reach to grab the belt. I looked into retrofit on my car but it's only available on convertible version so not too easy to retro.
    The other system from America that automatically closes the belt around you is cool too but doesn't seem to be too common anymore even in the states.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 634 ✭✭✭cabb8ge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

That's a nice low mileage example. I'd say the colour would put a lot of people off.

• Advertisement

That's a nice low mileage example. I'd say the colour would put a lot of people off.

Weren't these known to be troublesome pre face lift?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭Kaiser D

I see that car on my way to work every most mornings.

I like the colour tbh.

mickdw wrote: »
    Weren't these known to be troublesome pre face lift?

Supposedly. I never really buy into the hype of certain models/years being disasters (when the buying price is so low). No doubt there's some truth to it, but it's still usually a minority of affected cars within the range. At that money it would be worth a punt. Sure you'd never buy anything if you read into all the online hype.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭ofcork

Youd still have to go in with your eyes open with a W220,serious expense apparently with air suspension etc.

Deactivate, stick in regular struts, job done. :D

• Advertisement

Supposedly. I never really buy into the hype of certain models/years being disasters (when the buying price is so low). No doubt there's some truth to it, but it's still usually a minority of affected cars within the range. At that money it would be worth a punt. Sure you'd never buy anything if you read into all the online hype.

But the face lift was later in that year ( 03) so worthwhile looking for one of them. Having said that, a relative of mine had a face lift one from new that he only occasionally used and it was an absolute money pit. Everytime he drove it, overheating, sensor issues, dropping coolant etc. Lack of use was likely much of the problem but it really was a joke and it was looked after by Mercedes on time always. So If he had the better one, the pre face lift must be fun.

What a nightmare! That would break your heart, at least he didn't drive it much. Would make you appreciate the 90s stuff from both Mercedes and BMW.

He bought an new 08 long Wheelbase S320 cdi and that car had zero issues over 3 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭NewApproach

That LS430 is already marked as sold. I reckon he priced it at least €1k too low.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭lomb

He bought an new 08 long Wheelbase S320 cdi and that car had zero issues over 3 years.

So the 03 was rubbish and he went out and spent more in 08? He must have deep pockets and love Merc.
    I look into w220s from time to time and the interiors are always knackered with torn seats or worn steering wheels and swirled paint. Im thinking the trim and paint quality wasn't great in these.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

Red Kev wrote: »

The "Oirish" and "Paddy spec" comments here are getting wearysome, have a look at how badly the Germans spec their cars and you might change your mind on it.

I have even seen it suggested that manufacturers introduce low spec models specifically for the Irish market. The sheer lunacy. Irish market even in Celtic Tiger bubble era was of course tiny in world terms.

Yep. He bought a new S Class in 03 and basically parked it so yes he had deep pockets. He didnt even sell it when he bought the other one. He had the 2 for a few years.
    He has had mercedes for years, one bad one wasnt going to put him off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

not to mention that some engine parts could be harder to find as i doubt many of them were ever sold outside ireland. the s500 is probably the easiest to look after in terms of replacement parts because of how many there are worldwide.

Just think about what you've said here. You can't seriously believe that Mercedes (or anyone) specifically introduced a model for a 100k units a year market.

I want his job! Theres a garage outside my house and a new 141 regged Merc demo S Class in the window for sale, the garage owner drives it around occasionally on weekends but Ive thought youd have to be very strong financially to take that machine out brand new. Youd have to be able to afford to replace it in 3 years as obviously it will deteriorate and you have a reputation to maintain. Youd obviously be weakened physically and mentally by the massive depreciation. Theres a guy on my road with a 02 s320 bought new and he has it ever since. He obviously was weakened a lot by that venture.

Yep new S Class is for multi millionaire no doubt.
    The man I mentioned was a very very rich man as far back as the early 80s and his business has only boomed since.

• Advertisement

lomb wrote: »
    I want his job! Theres a garage outside my house and a new 141 regged Merc demo S Class in the window for sale, the garage owner drives it around occasionally on weekends but Ive thought youd have to be very strong financially to take that machine out brand new. Youd have to be able to afford to replace it in 3 years as obviously it will deteriorate and you have a reputation to maintain. Youd obviously be weakened physically and mentally by the massive depreciation. Theres a guy on my road with a 02 s320 bought new and he has it ever since. He obviously was weakened a lot by that venture.

If he bought it new in 2002 and kept it for 12 years, it was money well spent in my book!

If he bought it new in 2002 and kept it for 12 years, it was money well spent in my book!

True enough. 10k per year not so bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

True enough. 10k per year not so bad.

Not so bad? 10 grand a year on depreciation... lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

Half of what I make a year :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

That LS430 is already marked as sold. I reckon he priced it at least €1k too low.

Seems to be fluctuating pricing on them alright, plenty have gone for €2k or less in the last year.

You may LOL but we are not talking about someone scratching around in a 15 year old banger. I was talking about a guy who bought a new S class and speaking with reference to comments that the depreciation must financially ruin all but multi millionaires. I was inclined to agree but then 10k per year while alot is not in the multi millionaire territory. An S class would easily lose 40k in first year so keeping it over the longer period has certainly helped that guy to make the cost more manageable.
    In summary, yes laughable costs when talking luxonomics but not laughable figures to people who buy new cars and remember someone has to buy them new

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭Old diesel

porsche959 wrote: »
    I have even seen it suggested that manufacturers introduce low spec models specifically for the Irish market. The sheer lunacy. Irish market even in Celtic Tiger bubble era was of course tiny in world terms.

To my mind the paddy spec comments (in general) comes from things like this

1) Irish Corolla - no aircon, smallest engine (1.3/1.4) Uk Corolla - 1.6 petrol - aircon or electric sunroof - nicer trim inside

2) Irish BMW E34 5 series - 520i - cloth seats, no sunroof - Uk E34 5 series - 525i - sunroof metallic paint, possibly leather and aircon too.

3) Sierras - Uk drivers were far more likely to spec up a 1.8 or 2 litre and maybe go Ghia. Irish example more likely (then Uk) to be a base 1.6 L or a diesel.

4) Ventos - did they even do the GL version here with the much nicer trim, sunroof and the option of the 1.9 tdi from around 94/95????

The basis of the Paddy spec is that an irish spec car is more likely to be the base model with the smallest engine.

You can get those in the UK too - but Uk drivers/companies and owners are more likely not to spec the crap spec model

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

Lets not forget that guy (in limerick?) that gets the new Focus every year. He is paying as much if not more in depreciation every year and is only driving an LX, the bog spec of bog spec Focus'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Ded_Zebra wrote: »
    Lets not forget that guy (in limerick?) that gets the new Focus every year. He is paying as much if not more in depreciation every year and is only driving an LX, the bog spec of bog spec Focus'.

Ah but sure it's fully loaded, alloys and fog lights :pac:

• Advertisement

I doubt a new focus would loose more than 4k which is affordable to most people. An S Class is very costly but is peanuts when compared to a private jet. I dont think a new S Class is affordable in Ireland except to anyone on over 200k pa and it would hurt then even. Theres different vehicles for different people.
    Luxonomics is about the average man driving a millionaires car. But generally the average man is unwilling to fund even 50% more cost on fuel, insurance and tax so the values are near zero both here and in the UK which is why we are here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

Old diesel wrote: »
    To my mind the paddy spec comments (in general) comes from things like this

1) Irish Corolla - no aircon, smallest engine (1.3/1.4) Uk Corolla - 1.6 petrol - aircon or electric sunroof - nicer trim inside

2) Irish BMW E34 5 series - 520i - cloth seats, no sunroof - Uk E34 5 series - 525i - sunroof metallic paint, possibly leather and aircon too.

3) Sierras - Uk drivers were far more likely to spec up a 1.8 or 2 litre and maybe go Ghia. Irish example more likely (then Uk) to be a base 1.6 L or a diesel.

4) Ventos - did they even do the GL version here with the much nicer trim, sunroof and the option of the 1.9 tdi from around 94/95????

The basis of the Paddy spec is that an irish spec car is more likely to be the base model with the smallest engine.

You can get those in the UK too - but Uk drivers/companies and owners are more likely not to spec the crap spec model

This stems not from Irish people being a nation of tight farmers but the fact that most car manufactures charged a premium on cars sold to the UK due to them having to be made in right hand drive, however due to the Irish governments penal VRT they had to sell the cars here at a discount so that stripped the toys in an effort to save some money and more importantly it gave them scope to make it back if someone wanted to pay IR£ 1500 for the electric pack. At least that's how it was in the 90's and early 00's not sure what the situation is now, remember back then there was a raft of new car shoppers coming over for Irish (poverty) spec cars to save £££

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

To address the condescending asshat that believes they can read minds, when I used the word Oirish I was referring to the proclivity of Irish people to buy awful low-end barges, and I'm pretty sure the people talking about paddy-spec meant the same. I don't think anyone here suggested that manufactures build cars specifically for the Irish market, and if they did then you should be addressing them in particular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

rovoagho wrote: »
    To address the condescending asshat that believes they can read minds, when I used the word Oirish I was referring to the proclivity of Irish people to buy awful low-end barges, and I'm pretty sure the people talking about paddy-spec meant the same. I don't think anyone here suggested that manufactures build cars specifically for the Irish market, and if they did then you should be addressing them in particular.

Its often used in conjunction with things like "only in Ireland" , which would most definitely suggest people think manufacturers are spending money developing these cars for Ireland.

Enough crap on that matter lads, back to the barges.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Wheels do nothing for me.

Nice spec though.

Big Nasty wrote: »

Nice spec though.

No bother. Tell him keep the 6k wheels and you will take the car for free :)

Same here on the wheels, and what's the deal with the V12 badge on the boot? They went on the C pillars, not the boot.

Bonkers money for a '98. You might get 5k here for a clean '00 or '01, only a fool would pay that much for a tatty '98.

Big Nasty wrote: »

Nice spec though.

I'm not one for large alloys on a barge, and I can't say I like the Alpinas (?) on this but they're easily swapped out for something nicer, plus you could get a few quid for those if they'r real.

Also, I reckon this deserves a spot in this thread. How fecking rich and important would you have to be to have a Roller limo back in '83? This looks lovely, colour combination is smashing. A nice alternative to a 7 seater MPV :p

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/rolls-royce-limousine-1983/6822663
    28893982.jpeg

Now that is cool. Some cars you would love to know the history of.

• Advertisement

I proffered it jokingly to the wife as an alternative to the Viano we're trying to source at the moment. She half considered it until she saw the size of the engine. :)

("Just popping out to the shops love. How's the overdraft looking?")

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

How are insurance companies when you say things like Limo to them on a private car?

How are insurance companies when you say things like Limo to them on a private car?

They should be grand once its not registered as a PSV.

Came across this while looking for that on other sites:

http://cars.donedeal.ie/view/6633562

That's a great price for a Silver Spirit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

That's some serious low tax pimping in the Silver Spirit. Nice find

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Came across this while looking for that on other sites:

http://cars.donedeal.ie/view/6633562

That's a great price for a Silver Spirit.

Classis tax too. Wonder on the reliability scale how good would they be or would it be an out and out money pit?

Total money pit, you'd need to be going into it with your eyes wide open, and a budget of the same again or more for spares and repairs. However there are parts sources out there and I'm told they're not that hard to work on if you're mechanically-minded.

I plan to own a Shadow or a Spirit or Bentley equivalent within the next few years, ideally as my daily. (I don't do a lot of miles.)

Total money pit, you'd need to be going into it with your eyes wide open, and a budget of the same again or more for spares and repairs. However there are parts sources out there and I'm told they're not that hard to work on if you're mechanically-minded.

I plan to own a Shadow or a Spirit or Bentley equivalent within the next few years, ideally as my daily. (I don't do a lot of miles.)

I plan to own a Dailmer DS420 Limosuine or Austin Princess VDP Limosuine at some point. But, seeing that Silver Spirit limousine has twisted my arm a bit.

I really want a limosuine :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭ofcork

Jesus how many years has that 6.75l engine been used by rr,it must be over 20 at least.

Same here on the wheels, and what's the deal with the V12 badge on the boot? They went on the C pillars, not the boot.

Bonkers money for a '98. You might get 5k here for a clean '00 or '01, only a fool would pay that much for a tatty '98.

The V12 stickers aren't factory at all, no 7 series ever came with them, was Mercedes only. Lads just stick them onto the C pillars.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement