Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LUXOBARGE (sub5k) of the week/day

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

The V12 stickers aren't factory at all, no 7 series ever came with them, was Mercedes only. Lads just stick them onto the C pillars.

Really? Wasn't aware of that, as a huge amount of V12's have them, inclusive of the one I owned. I would have taken it off if I knew it wasn't factory, the 750i badge says enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Yup, they're usually eBay emblems or bought from Mercedes. You can even see the V font is usually Mercedes.

The only emblems available from BMW:

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=GJ02&mospid=48542&btnr=51_2352&hg=51&fg=20

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

Kaiser D wrote: »
    Also, I reckon this deserves a spot in this thread. How fecking rich and important would you have to be to have a Roller limo back in '83? This looks lovely, colour combination is smashing. A nice alternative to a 7 seater MPV :p

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/rolls-royce-limousine-1983/6822663

Quite a find, would be very interested in history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

I'm not one for large alloys on a barge, and I can't say I like the Alpinas (?) on this but they're easily swapped out for something nicer, plus you could get a few quid for those if they'r real.

Also, I reckon this deserves a spot in this thread. How fecking rich and important would you have to be to have a Roller limo back in '83? This looks lovely, colour combination is smashing. A nice alternative to a 7 seater MPV :p

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/rolls-royce-limousine-1983/6822663

Didn't fall apart yet? :pac:

28399590.jpeg
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/jaguar-daimler-4-0-lwb/6415045

Fresh NCT, LWB model. 4.0 V8 to please your ears.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,825 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Looks like an Australian import.

Sorry.

Sorry.

Badum tsss :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Sorry.

Would that really matter on the L322 Range Rover (presume you mean the Range Rover) - assuming there aren't too many differences parts wise between a European L322 or the Australian version.

Although I know very little about these (and arguably about cars in general :D) - I should think condition on something like this would be more important then where it came from.

Old diesel wrote: »
    Would that really matter on the L322 Range Rover (presume you mean the Range Rover) - assuming there aren't too many differences parts wise between a European L322 or the Australian version.

Although I know very little about these (and arguably about cars in general :D) - I should think condition on something like this would be more important then where it came from.

I believe, and correct me if I'm wrong here, but I believe he meant Australian due to the picture being upside down :p

• Advertisement

bear1 wrote: »
    I believe, and correct me if I'm wrong here, but I believe he meant Australian due to the picture being upside down :p

Okay no worries :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭ofcork

To answer the posters question 're the range rover about 100k new.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

markkelly2 wrote: »

Why post this across threads?

Tbh I'd be hesitant buying it. That drivers seat is very worn given the mileage and I'd like to see a cert for the LPG installation. Alloys look w@nk on what's supposed to be a luxury car and I've found arty pictures are used to hide a crappy car.

All my opinion of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭Kaiser D

I like the looks of it tbh, would need a thorough going over first though.

• Advertisement

I like the looks of it tbh, would need a thorough going over first though.

He has another one for sale which looks better apart from the overly dark window tinting. Although it's hard to tell which is best given the image affects on the '95 one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭markkelly2

ba_barabus wrote: »
    Why post this across threads?

I posted across threads because everyone might not
    be following both threads.
    That was my only reason. Sorry if it is not allowed or against the rules.:confused:

markkelly2 wrote: »
    I posted across threads because everyone might not
    be following both threads.
    That was my only reason. Sorry if it is not allowed or against the rules.:confused:

I'm just grumpy tonight ignore me although I have a feeling it may be frowned upon.

He has another one for sale which looks better apart from the overly dark window tinting. Although it's hard to tell which is best given the image affects on the '95 one.

I'd question why one has a weird filter on the photos and the other doesn't.

In my mind filtered photos = bodywork is in poor condition.

In my mind filtered photos = bodywork is in poor condition.

That's what I said above in my first reply to the ad when I said arty pictures hide crappy cars. Funnily enough it can backfire and show up panel respray too.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

Never seen a 4.0 Sport before. Or a 4.0 six, for that matter.

rovoagho wrote: »
    Never seen a 4.0 Sport before. Or a 4.0 six, for that matter.

And I miss the bleeding obvious, 3.2 was badged a SPORT and both 3.2 and 4l were v8s in that car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

And I miss the bleeding obvious, 3.2 was badged a SPORT and both 3.2 and 4l were v8s in that car.

No. That's an X300, with the AJ16 straight-six.

jimgoose wrote: »
    No. That's an X300, with the AJ16 straight-six.

I thought I'd get in for a ninja edit. That has the old straight 6, the v8 didn't come until the XK was launched in 1996, it was added to the XJ after that in 97 *I think*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I thought I'd get in for a ninja edit. That has the old straight 6, the v8 didn't come until the XK was launched in 1996, it was added to the XJ after that in 97 *I think*

That's right - the XJ got the V8 with the X308 update in '97.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭pcardin

Interslice wrote: »

I'm on the hunt for e38 now , wheels for my anual Eurotrip. :D

Looking at this and thinking should I go and see it or not. I can see this is a facelift model but then again its sport and that colour doesn't really impress me. What would SPORT be versus normal one MPG wise? Asking is 1k, how much would you recon would be possible to knock off the asking?

Tbh, if I was going to look at a 2.8 petrol BMW, MPG would be the last thing on my mind as I'd imagine you'd get max 25mpg out of it.
    Difference between a SPORT and a normal 728i engine wise is nothing, same MPG, power and top speed.
    SPORT is probably just sleaker

bear1 wrote: »
    Tbh, if I was going to look at a 2.8 petrol BMW, MPG would be the last thing on my mind as I'd imagine you'd get max 25mpg out of it.
    Difference between a SPORT and a normal 728i engine wise is nothing, same MPG, power and top speed.
    SPORT is probably just sleaker

Just checked different websites and SPORT is actaully 1pmg less for some reason.
    I'm not aiming for any high MPG, if that would be my aim i would go for some tractor engined car. This year I've chosen e38 but for my budget it seems only 2.8 are available. Is 2.8 reliable engine?

pcardin wrote: »
    Just checked different websites and SPORT is actaully 1pmg less for some reason.
    I'm not aiming for any high MPG, if that would be my aim i would go for some tractor engined car. This year I've chosen e38 but for my budget it seems only 2.8 are available. Is 2.8 reliable engine?

I couldn't tell you about the reliability but reviews say that the engine is quite good.
    Suspension being the main problem on such a heavy car. Gearbox also is being praised.
    I would go and view it, especially at that price and with such an impressive spec.
    There is an S500 for sale on DD too which is about 21MPG combined and the spec is fantastic, it's also the LWB version.

Here is a 740i

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/99-bmw-740/6689601

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2000-lexus-gs300/6908495 - this has a fridge :)

It's a BMW 6 pot, they're great engines. A little underpowered for the E38, but grand if you just want to cruise. If you want some umph under your foot, you need a 740i, ideally a Sport. If you want move house with one, a 750i'll tow it for you.

You'll get 25mpg out of a 728i with normal driving, no problem; you should get 30 out of it on motorways if you go easy. I got 20-25mpg out of my 740i with normal driving for feck's sake, and as high as 28 on a long motorway journey.

The silver one looks good, but they're ten a penny -- this would be fab if it checks out mechanically. Imola Red is a gorgeous colour, and it's very, very rare on an E38. The car is already on M Paras, so all you need to do is take that stupid grille off and fit a stock one.

EDIT: The price is mad btw, but it was only listed today so it's probably just a hope-a-live-one-sees-this price.

M2NlZjAyZDE2ZWVmY2U5YjBhZDk0ZTJmZmQ0YjI2MzEumx3YDGYqlMM2qIZsyYORaHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmFkc2ltZy5jb20vOTUxMDQzMTM4ZDlhMmI0ZmU3MGY3Y2JjMDU5ZmIwOTA1Mzk0YzU4OGMyZjc0Y2M3YmViNzVjYTNlMWFjNzRjMi5qcGd8NzAwfHx8fHx8aHR0cDovL3d3dy5hZHZlcnRzLmllL3N0YXRpYy9pL3dhdGVybWFyay5wbmd8fGh0dHA6Ly93d3cuYWR2ZXJ0cy5pZS9zdGF0aWMvaS9ub25lLWltYWdlLmpwZ3w=.jpg

• Advertisement

Keep a 728i cruising at 90-100kph, you'll get 38-40MPG. At 120kph you'll see 34MPG. Really quite impressive. M52 is a fantastically reliable engine and sounds great. I used to try and get as best as possible between Dublin and Dundalk and it was just as frugal as a 1.6-1.8 petrol in a regular saloon.

Keep a 728i cruising at 90-100kph, you'll get 38-40MPG. At 120kph you'll see 35-36. Really quite impressive. M52 is a fantastically reliable engine and sounds great. I used to try and get as best as possible between Dublin and Dundalk and it was just as frugal as a 1.6-1.8 petrol in a regular saloon.

See, even better. I'd no idea it went that high, but I'm not at all surprised, they're great, great engines.

I had an early version in an E34 525i, my first proper car, had great fun with it.

All the I6s from that era are great. You'll see some online reports of 45mpg etc from the 728 which is impossible, or 40mpg+ at 70mph, but the figures i posted above are achievable.

I'll never have one again, but I wouldn't mind two of them in a V formation. ;)

wow. Thanks guys for sharing your toughts. 25mpg is ok for me and I will be doing motorways for 90% of my trip. Have a choice now to look at two 728i tonight. One is prefacelift 1998 and the other one is this facelist 1999 model. I have to say I kinda like the pre-facelift front better for some reason. Will the engine be still the same in both or did they change anything after facelift?

Read the Wikipedia article, it has everything you need. Just google e38, it'll be right near the top.

I had a pre-facelift 740i myself, but I prefer the clear lens' and body-coloured skirts of the post-facelift cars. But each to their own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

I got about 15 mpg urban in my 735 and achieved 30 motorway @ 80 mph. In a 520 2.2 atm and while urban is quite a bit better @ 21 / 22 mpg motorway is pretty much identical to the 735, presumably because the 735 is reving lower ar speed than that

I got about 15 mpg urban in my 735 and achieved 30 motorway @ 80 mph. In a 520 2.2 atm and while urban is quite a bit better @ 21 / 22 mpg motorway is pretty much identical to the 735, presumably because the 735 is reving lower ar speed than that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

The price is mad btw

€5,900 for a base underpowered 13 year old 7-series? :D

Sounds very reasonable. No it doesn't :D

The highest offer on adverts.ie is almost as unreasonable at €800

Seriously though, the straight 6 BMW engine surely is in the top 10 best and most reliable engines ever made, but why would you want one in your 7-series?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭gizabeer

It's a BMW 6 pot, they're great engines. A little underpowered for the E38, but grand if you just want to cruise. If you want some umph under your foot, you need a 740i, ideally a Sport. If you want move house with one, a 750i'll tow it for you.

You'll get 25mpg out of a 728i with normal driving, no problem; you should get 30 out of it on motorways if you go easy. I got 20-25mpg out of my 740i with normal driving for feck's sake, and as high as 28 on a long motorway journey.

The silver one looks good, but they're ten a penny -- this would be fab if it checks out mechanically. Imola Red is a gorgeous colour, and it's very, very rare on an E38. The car is already on M Paras, so all you need to do is take that stupid grille off and fit a stock one.

EDIT: The price is mad btw, but it was only listed today so it's probably just a hope-a-live-one-sees-this price.

M2NlZjAyZDE2ZWVmY2U5YjBhZDk0ZTJmZmQ0YjI2MzEumx3YDGYqlMM2qIZsyYORaHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmFkc2ltZy5jb20vOTUxMDQzMTM4ZDlhMmI0ZmU3MGY3Y2JjMDU5ZmIwOTA1Mzk0YzU4OGMyZjc0Y2M3YmViNzVjYTNlMWFjNzRjMi5qcGd8NzAwfHx8fHx8aHR0cDovL3d3dy5hZHZlcnRzLmllL3N0YXRpYy9pL3dhdGVybWFyay5wbmd8fGh0dHA6Ly93d3cuYWR2ZXJ0cy5pZS9zdGF0aWMvaS9ub25lLWltYWdlLmpwZ3w=.jpg

Some mark up
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/BMW/7-Series/728-I-E3/201301220785041/advert?channel=CARS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

gizabeer wrote: »

:eek::eek::eek:.nice money~~~~if you can get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

:eek::eek::eek:.nice money~~~~if you can get it.

You can bet that he bought that for about 1700.

But not a hope will he sell it for anywhere near his asking. He might turn a profit and move it on between 2-3k, to be fair.

Just goes to show how much a difference decent pics make in an ad. :eek:

I'm watching the ad on adverts now cos I know there'll be a massive argument in the comments when the owner sees

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

2005 Phaeton with NCT 02.2015 €5500. I've driven these for a few days in Germany and they're a fabulous car, seriously cheap now (maybe too cheap?) if you can handle tha badge.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2005-vw-phaeton-3-0-tdi/6851158

29036779.jpeg

S500, 6 months NCT, claimes FSH €1950

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mercedes-s-500/6886361
    29213205.jpeg

OK... it's a W124, so not a Luxobarge but it's the convertible, for me one of the best looking 4 seat convertibles ever built, a few months NCT and a hard to believe price of €6500. I never thought they'd go that low. Nice car for Ireland to hear the rain beating in a meditational fashion on the roof. Very soothing.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/mercedes-e-220-cabriolet/6881688

29189361.jpeg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

phaeton is sold, so cheap!

phaeton is sold, so cheap!

The ads only been up a day - must be some kind of record in this day and age for a big 3 litre car on the engine size tax system to move in 1 day.

I guess if you meet the RIGHT buyer - then miracles can happen - possibly someone who was specifically looking for a Pheaton and moved quick for the right car????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 634 ✭✭✭cabb8ge

....- possibly someone who was specifically looking for a Pheaton and moved quick for the right car????

At price it was adv. at it no surprise it sold quickly, possible one for resale, perhaps UK sale.

Nice Jaguar..

http://cars.donedeal.co.uk/cars-for-sale/jaguar-xj-3-2-2002-nct-2-15-may-swap/4337960

16398367.jpeg

Sold as seen but NCT, perhaps a nice car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The ads only been up a day - must be some kind of record in this day and age for a big 3 litre car on the engine size tax system to move in 1 day.

I guess if you meet the RIGHT buyer - then miracles can happen - possibly someone who was specifically looking for a Pheaton and moved quick for the right car????

Seems to be happening more and more lately, have noticed a couple of LS430's sold in under a day. People seem more willing to accept original €100 grand cars now going for the price of a decent living room suite, the recession is over :D

Seems to be happening more and more lately, have noticed a couple of LS430's sold in under a day. People seem more willing to accept original €100 grand cars now going for the price of a decent living room suite, the recession is over :D

I wonder have some people downsized (for cheap tax, better fuel economy) - now discovered the realities that tax isn't the ONLY cost of running a car - and have now realised that they've given up something lovely only to realise they are incurring depreciation plus cost to change.

That big Lexus starts looking very tempting again - if you've had to deal with modern diesel reliability issues.

But maybe I am WAY of the mark - the Uk export market looks a far more logical explanation.

But surely the Uk has better maintained cars to choose from over there (and more of this type of car in the first place)????.

Have however seen on the Lexus owners club where someone was looking for an LS - and someone suggested an Irish members car which was been sold???

Mind you it was a 400 not a 430

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement