Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LUXOBARGE (sub5k) of the week/day

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭lomb

theres near on 100k between the cl63 and cl65 , i cant imagine why anybody would pay that difference , if you need something cl65 fast, go buy something italian and insane.

There was a time when if you wanted the best Mercedes on the road it was a 500, then it was a 560, then a 600 but now its all of the dubious looking AMG models with quad? exhausts. I read a forum post where a guy said every 2 or 3 years his dad would buy one much to his wifes nagging for home improvements. Started with a few 500s, then a 560 SEL.
    I reakon the standard CL500 is for all intents and purposes the best Merc on the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 136 ✭✭RyanMGF

^^ Yep, people tend forget just how fast a boggo (:D) CL500 is these days too. 4.8 seconds to 100 km/h, 429 bhp, 700 Nm torque... Quicker than most AMG Mercs from just a few years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭Kaiser D

This sold at Mullingar Auctions tonight for €3500 apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Kaiser D wrote: »
    This sold at Mullingar Auctions tonight for €3500 apparently.

****e, I might have taken a chance for that kind of money...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

Looks like a Hyundai Sonata :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭rocky

Mitsubishi?

• Moderators Posts: 12,385 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Hyundai Grandeur.
    The "sold "As is" no warranty", "needs NCT", and potentially being part Mitsubushi dont encourage me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

I wouldn't pay €1800 road tax to drive around in a Hyundai, not worth it's weight in the recycling centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭woejus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

That suspension gear is surely worth money (to the right person) if working.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

woejus wrote: »

That has definitely been up before, may years back, and LOOKED a lot cleaner back then, IIRC it sold for a lot more, too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

kev1.3s wrote: »
    I wouldn't pay €1800 road tax to drive around in a Hyundai, not worth it's weight in the recycling centre.

1800 is too much tax for any car. the grandeur isn't really a bad car. plenty of spec, maybe the interior plastics are a bit of a let down but aside from they are not "bad" per say. even it's preecessor the XG wasn't that bad. peculiar, but had a certain quirk about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

That has definitely been up before, may years back, and LOOKED a lot cleaner back then, IIRC it sold for a lot more, too.

I last saw it for sale by a guy in Bray who sold it for 5500 IIRC and yes it looked mint then. If I remember correctly he had converted and sold a few like it. It was about 3 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Battlestar Galactica here with chuff-all mileage on it for very light money.
    Note one of the wings is a little bashed:

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mercedes-s500-lwb/6968706

29619396.jpeg

29619394.jpeg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,825 ✭✭✭✭bear1

So it needs a new wing, new bumper and from the looks of it a new bonnet, possibly even a new headlight.
    But for 1k I'd have that shipped abroad and sold, would make a fortune!
    The only thing that's missing from that spec is the satnav

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

woejus wrote: »

And the baby jesus wept. :(

Bit of work and that Merc would be alright. I bet it had thousands spent on that build.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 483 ✭✭daveohdave

I'd buy it in a heartbeat if I'd storage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭ryan101

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

1800 is too much tax for any car.

Nonsense! The tax is what makes proper luxobarges extremely cheap in penny wise pound foolish Ireland (still very much in a recession)

An '02 S500 with a full years test in good condition will set you back about €2 or €3k here (and about €10k or more on the continent). Drive it for a few years and the total cost of ownership (including Irish motor tax) will be lower than what it would have cost on the continent

Paid max tax for about a decade myself. At one point I was running 2 cars on max tax :eek: :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

unkel wrote: »
    Nonsense! The tax is what makes proper luxobarges extremely cheap in penny wise pound foolish Ireland (still very much in a recession)

An '02 S500 with a full years test in good condition will set you back about €2 or €3k here (and about €10k or more on the continent). Drive it for a few years and the total cost of ownership (including Irish motor tax) will be lower than what it would have cost on the continent

Paid max tax for about a decade myself. At one point I was running 2 cars on max tax :eek: :D

I agree but not on that Hyundai.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,301 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Always wanted to own a cl500 for 6 months for the laugh/experience

Always wanted to own a cl500 for 6 months for the laugh/experience

I wonder for how long you'd be laughing :D

bear1 wrote: »
    I wonder for how long you'd be laughing :D

Hard and long, Bear-san. Alack and alas, in this white-goods-appliance world it only we few, we happy few, that know the contentment of gliding along in a six- or eight-cylinder main battle-tank cosseted in comfort and luxury. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭mullingar

No NCT on that 500.

Well for a bag of sand, what do you expect?

I don't know alot about the mechanics of Mercedes on air suspension but the general comment is always run away quickly. That's fair enough but given that alot of these S class are now silly cheap, surely either there is mad money to be made in breaking them or alternatively bits for the air suspension are now relatively cheap used.
    Opinions?

mickdw wrote: »
    I don't know alot about the mechanics of Mercedes on air suspension but the general comment is always run away quickly. That's fair enough but given that alot of these S class are now silly cheap, surely either there is mad money to be made in breaking them or alternatively bits for the air suspension are now relatively cheap used.
    Opinions?

From what I know, if the air suspension fails you can always just swap over to conventional springs. That way you don't have that problem anymore ;)
    How much it would cost is another question

jimgoose wrote: »
    Hard and long, Bear-san. Alack and alas, in this white-goods-appliance world it only we few, we happy few, that know the contentment of gliding along in a six- or eight-cylinder main battle-tank cosseted in comfort and luxury. :cool:

Haha ya mad man ya :pac:

• Advertisement

From what I know, if the air suspension fails you can always just swap over to conventional springs. That way you don't have that problem anymore ;)
    How much it would cost is another question

Ya that is expensive enough though.
    What im saying is that you could probably spend 2k on one corner at the main dealer but surely with cars selling under 1k, used genuine bits must be reasonable or else there is a fortune in buying up those cars and selling them for parts.

Only a moron takes a 10 year old barge to a dealer.

daveohdave wrote: »
    Only a moron takes a 10 year old barge to a dealer.

No debate there. Just said that to make a point.
    The point still stands that everyone is afraid of suspension issues on these cars and I'm wondering if it's such a big issue at this stage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭noelf

unkel wrote: »

Im comming around to your way of thinking .. bought a new golf in february this year .. has dropped about 6 grand in value ouch !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭ryan101

If I was to buy an S class, it would be the 500 over the 320 every day, its even the same tax rate!

• Advertisement

What is it that fails on the S that causes this suspension problem? Is it the motor that lets go or what?
    Can't believe a 6litre is taxed the exact same as a 3 litre... Gotta love the thinking of our Government/Governments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

compressor fails, but I'm open to correction

Can't believe a 6litre is taxed the exact same as a 3 litre... Gotta love the thinking of our Government/Governments

Yup, anything over 3001cc is taxed @ €1800.

Now to find a S500 re-classified as a 2.0L :):p

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mercedes-s500/6986555

29700496.jpeg

Old school S500.

Claims to be 78k miles but a reg check on NCTS says its a PSV.

Sobanek wrote: »
    compressor fails, but I'm open to correction

The airbag suspension struts fail too as far as I know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

ryan101 wrote: »

Is it just me or does it not look like 82000 mileage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

listermint wrote: »

Bought a Merc recently, has about 130,000 miles on the clock, the last NCT from 2006 it had about 240,000 miles. :pac:

CianRyan wrote: »
    Bought a Merc recently, has about 130,000 miles on the clock, the last NCT from 2006 it had about 240,000 miles. :pac:

Panzerkampfwagen forwaert! You won't kill it! :)

listermint wrote: »

Its not just you.
    The bootlid alignment looks messed up too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

jimgoose wrote: »
    Panzerkampfwagen forwaert! You won't kill it! :)

Say what?!

And eh, it was a group buy and I can definitely see us killing it. :pac:

mickdw wrote: »
    Its not just you.
    The bootlid alignment looks messed up too.

I was going to post that as well, looks like it's had a knock at the back I reckon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Crasp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Crasp wrote: »

I love the high motor tax system in this country, bargains, bargains, bargains for the common man, cheaper than anywhere else on earth for a Joe Soap to buy out and out luxury :D

That's a gorgeous looking CL. But if it's low mileage, why didn't he post the mileage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

No test mentioned either (unless I'm blind)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement