Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LUXOBARGE (sub5k) of the week/day

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Crasp

At that price it needs a tax disc too... be a nice car to have all the same.

watching this thread like a hawk as I'm in the market for a luxobarge myself. .. I like the idea of a cl for that price but I'm not mad on the wooden dash .. (a common issue with this type of car). still, I couldn't resist posting it here, figured there would be some interest ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭PurvesGrundy

I love the high motor tax system in this country, bargains, bargains, bargains for the common man, cheaper than anywhere else on earth for a Joe Soap to buy out and out luxury :D

You can get either of these for under 4k right now in the UK and they are no more than £300 for annual tax over there:

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/mercedes-benz/cl/mercedes-benz-cl-cl500-2dr-auto/2089153

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/mercedes-benz/cl/mercedes-benz-cl-cl500-2dr-auto-high-spec-mint-car/2301446

Nothing excuses the fact that this is a really terrible country for motoring. CC based tax almost forbids us to own anything over 2.0 litre with rates that are unjustifiable for many.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,825 ✭✭✭✭bear1

I think the best way to look at it is through economies of scale. The UK has what, 50 million people?
    So they are able to have lower rates as they will in turn still make a lot of money.
    Ireland has 5 million or so, so our rates are calculated on this amount, I'd say if we had a higher population like the UK then our rates would probably be similar.
    Or I'm talking utter ****e and out Government is a bastard

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

bear1 wrote: »
    I think the best way to look at it is through economies of scale. The UK has what, 50 million people?
    So they are able to have lower rates as they will in turn still make a lot of money.
    Ireland has 5 million or so, so our rates are calculated on this amount, I'd say if we had a higher population like the UK then our rates would probably be similar.
    Or I'm talking utter ****e and out Government is a bastard

MAybe its that government dont wnat heavy burners, after all the big houses that were built for 2-4 people burning up all the oil, the less heavy burners on the road the better as more money is not being sent out of the country.
    Remember the introduction of speed limits was 1) safety 2) to conserve oil production.
    Maybe the government are just idiots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

kupus wrote: »
    MAybe its that government dont wnat heavy burners, after all the big houses that were built for 2-4 people burning up all the oil, the less heavy burners on the road the better as more money is not being sent out of the country.
    Nonsense. Our motor tax is based on the size of the engine, not on usage. Nobody cares if you burn 10 litres per month in your 5l V8 or 100 litres in a "green hybrid" engined car.

What is nonsense that speed limits were reduced to save on fuel usage? Look it up. So whats to say this is not an extension of that thinking? Tax heavy burners high so to limit their usage to comply with that kauto agreement thingy.

I hope you are aware that...... a 5.0 S class will use more than a 1.0 yaris or a "green hybrid" engined car.

So the government are complying with kuato and getting the mass of people to get into smaller engine cars.
    This cuts down on the amount of money being SENT OUT of the country. Something Ireland doesnt need right now as keeping money in Ireland is the name of the game at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

What is nonsense that speed limits were reduced to save on fuel usage? Look it up.
    Speed limits were never lowered here in Ireland to save on fuel usage. The speed limits in general are too high (except motorways) in most circumstances in this country.
    I hope you are aware that...... a 5.0 S class will use more than a 1.0 yaris or a "green hybrid" engined car.
    Yes, it will. But what I was saying is that you still pay the same amount of tax if you burn 10 litres of fuel or 100 litres. The tax is not based on usage. You may live your car parked on your driveway and use it once a month while still being charged the same amount if you were driving the car 24 hours per day round the clock.
    So the government are complying with kuato and getting the mass of people to get into smaller engine cars.
    They not doing anything like you suggested. Yes, the huge rates put people off the large engined cars. But the only good thing the Government could do is to put all the car taxes based on usage, i.e. included them in fuel price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭ryan101

What is nonsense that speed limits were reduced to save on fuel usage? Look it up. So whats to say this is not an extension of that thinking? Tax heavy burners high so to limit their usage to comply with that kauto agreement thingy.

This cuts down on the amount of money being SENT OUT of the country. Something Ireland doesnt need right now as keeping money in Ireland is the name of the game at the moment.

How much money goes out of the country when a new car is bought ?
    And re using an old car is a lot more environmentally friendly than creating a new one.
    Above all I fundamentally disagree with taxing people who cannot afford newer cars at a much higher rate, but no surprise in a county that is not a democracy but a plutocracy.

Seweryn wrote: »
    Speed limits were never lowered here in Ireland to save on fuel usage. The speed limits in general are too high (except motorways) in most circumstances in this country.

Irish roads are sh1te and in the past were a lot sh1tter, I remember a main road to dublin with more twists and turns than a snakes and ladders game.And thats not so long ago. So it was impossible to get to top speed barr in a few places. I will concede that Irish limits were never lowered (in my knowledge) to save on fuel, but had the roads being a decent standard Ireland may have reduced buts thats all maybe on behalf of my argument.

Yes, it will. But what I was saying is that you still pay the same amount of tax if you burn 10 litres of fuel or 100 litres. The tax is not based on usage. You may live your car parked on your driveway and use it once a month while still being charged the same amount if you were driving the car 24 hours per day round the clock.

Im talking about having to fuel cars in the now and the future. Ireland buys its fuel from outside, so this money is being spent outside of the country which has no benefit to Ireland, except for the bloodsuckers that are in that trade (I know them and they are not nice people with very shady business dealings and it only takes one person to raise the price of fuel that particular day,)
    Now Ireland has to reduce its spending on outside fuel, think of a ledger book. imports and exports work the same way. THe more imports into a country, more money goes out. The more exports go out, the more money comes in. Ireland has no choice but to import fuel. But it can be reduced by getting people into smaller more fuel efficient cars.
    which is why im saying MAYBE just maybe government are trying to get rid of gas guzzlers to reduce having to spend money outside.
    be back for more...

They not doing anything like you suggested. Yes, the huge rates put people off the large engined cars. But the only good thing the Government could do is to put all the car taxes based on usage, i.e. included them in fuel price.

ryan101 wrote: »
    How much money goes out of the country when a new car is bought ?

Most of it, barr taxes and duties. You maybe surprised to know that dealers made f all on their new cars being sold. In some cases only 500 euro. THeir main income was the parts, which I view as a completely different business.

And re using an old car is a lot more environmentally friendly than creating a new one.

Scrappage schemes encourage trade turnover, encouraging money transactions on behalf of simi traders and trickle down econmonics. Gives jobs to salesmen and dealers and jobs in the manufacturing of cars.
    Using your old car does not do any of these things. In fact many of these bangers that were scrapped were perfect.

Above all I fundamentally disagree with taxing people who cannot afford newer cars at a much higher rate, but no surprise in a county that is not a democracy but a plutocracy.
    will be back later with more have to go and im a slow typist.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭ryan101

It definitely makes more sense from a green perspective to keep your old car running and well-maintained as long as you can

http://environment.about.com/od/environmentfriendlyautos/a/new_old_cars.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

More barge less waffle!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

Nice little 4x4.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/range-rover-2002/6957573

No mention of NCT though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

BMW 730d, €5950, NCT till 10/14. Seems to have a very high spec, claimed FSH (easy to verify), lovely colour IMO.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2004-bmw-730d-m-sport-auto-leather/7056754
    30051232.jpeg

RR diesel, NCT 01/15, €6000

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/range-rover-hse/7035638
    29940114.jpeg

Something for the summer has the smallest engine but it's the only R129 with an NCT on donedeal in that price bracket. Still a nice way to cruise around and NCT till 01/15. €4600

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mercedes-sl-280/6974870
    29646878.jpeg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

The 7'er isn't great value to be honest.

Pre-facelift (ugly and troublesome), and no spec at all. The only options I can see are the sport wheel, and the sunroof.

Like the Merc though. That shape is dead cert future classic. Would prefer the V8 however :pac:

Tempted to get an R129 as a classic weekend car myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/1998-bmw-750i/7005618

needs a bit of work, nothing major by sounds of it, a nice v12 for small money :)

or just a touch over the budget limited... but what a car
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/jaguar-xk8/7060427

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Seems an honest ad, good find, robtri :)

Needs serious negotiation on price. Also needs that ridiculous phone gone :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

love these E32s

• Advertisement

It's the back of those E32's that kills it for me, I'd be buying a Jag of the same era, much better looking IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

It's the back of those E32's that kills it for me, I'd be buying a Jag of the same era, much better looking IMO.

I'm not huge on it either but it does look a very clean and well minded example.

Everyone needs a V12 in their lives :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Ya but E38s are far more awesome than the Jags of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Ninap

Moneymaker wrote: »

Luvin those fold down tray tables

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭Kaiser D

Ninap wrote: »
    Luvin those fold down tray tables

Always makes me laugh seeing them in Jags and BMWs.

I remember my uncle had an Allegro with those tables.

Vanden Plas? :)

Ha!

rlpjWE5e.jpg

More pics here: linky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

unkel wrote: »
    Ha!...

Class out, bah. :cool:

Yeah, a lovely blue UK import VDP. Only ever drove BMC and BL cars, my uncle, no faith in anything else :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Senior Bill

1969 I had a a very posh Austin princess 3 liter Vanden Plas 4 speed manual with electric overdrive , grey over black, blue leather and pull down trays. I had to sell it because I only got 45 miles for a pounds worth of petrol. Yes you heard right 45 miles for a pound. A life time ago. Pay attention guys, time flies, I was thirty and went to bed when I woke up I was fifty, I don't remember anything about that twenty years'it seems I got married and had kids, how did that happen?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

these Lexus's are getting cheaper...

nice bit of NCT...
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/00-lexus-ls-400-top-spec-new-nct/7029896

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

1969 I had a a very posh Austin princess 3 liter Vanden Plas 4 speed manual with electric overdrive , grey over black, blue leather and pull down trays. I had to sell it because I only got 45 miles for a pounds worth of petrol. Yes you heard right 45 miles for a pound. A life time ago. Pay attention guys, time flies, I was thirty and went to bed when I woke up I was fifty, I don't remember anything about that twenty years'it seems I got married and had kids, how did that happen?

Ya, but you've also got a shít hot driveway!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Senior Bill

Ya, but you've also got a shít hot driveway!!!

If possible, I would gladly swap you a few years for a few cars Charlie. But hey Im not dead yet, Bill

Yeah but it was worth it for the tables along I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭Soarer

robtri wrote: »

nice bit of NCT...

Interior pic is RHD and the exterior is LHD?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭bidiots

nice bit of NCT...

Too many extras to list, yet manages to list year's, models, variations, gti's, Sri's.....yeah, no thanks.

Boils my p@#© tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

Dude, I think you slept for longer than you think you did - we're in 2014, not 1989.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,825 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Soarer wrote: »
    Interior pic is RHD and the exterior is LHD?

Judging by the exterior I'd say the seller took the image of an American version.
    That annoys me when they can't be bothered to put up proper pictures!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭Old diesel

bear1 wrote: »
    Judging by the exterior I'd say the seller took the image of an American version.
    That annoys me when they can't be bothered to put up proper pictures!

And the interior pic is from a pre 95 LS 400 as well :mad::mad::mad:

I wouldn't be the worlds best with a camera - but mother of god - I think id at least ask someone who is to take some pics if I was selling it :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭mullingar

nice bit of NCT...

There was a thread recently about that Lexus, I need to search for it but IIRC the poster who sold it recently sold it with 180,000 miles. Now its 78,000. (Note the reg is missing!)

Edit:

This thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=90624276

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

mullingar wrote: »
    There was a thread recently about that Lexus, I need to search for it but IIRC the poster who sold it recently sold it with 180,000 miles. Now its 78,000. (Note the reg is missing!)

Edit:

This thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=90624276

We should all ring "John" about the car and after some polite back and fourth, "oh yeah, so this is the Clocked Lexus all over the internet - so you have it?!!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

cadaliac wrote: »
    ..."oh yeah, so this is the Clocked Lexus all over the internet - so you have it?!!"

"Wossit like then, mistah??" :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

We should all ring "John" about the car and after some polite back and fourth, "oh yeah, so this is the Clocked Lexus all over the internet - so you have it?!!"

Here is another ad with the same number:
    http://www.donedeal.ie/caravans-for-sale/wanted-wanted-windows-tabbert-vivaldi/6687586
    "Connor" this time.
    You can draw your own conclusions.....:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

Here is another ad with the same number:
    http://www.donedeal.ie/caravans-for-sale/wanted-wanted-windows-tabbert-vivaldi/6687586
    "Connor" this time.
    You can draw your own conclusions.....:)

He's also selling a hiace on the lexus ad.

Clocked lexus from "John", wanting windows for a caravan from "Connor" and selling a hiace.

Hmm, the detective in me thinks this might be a chap called John Connors.

john-connor-terminator.jpg

I think it might be the fella on the left :pac:

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

Kaiser D wrote: »

That's the job alright, should be over on classic bargains!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

kev1.3s wrote: »
    That's the job alright, should be over on classic bargains!

Should be in Bangernomics :cool::cool:

Remember this wasposted here a while ago, and I said it sold at auction a few weeks ago. It was back in Mullingar auctions this evening.

Did you buy anything heard there was a load up there.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement