Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LUXOBARGE (sub5k) of the week/day

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭faral

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

Meh. Supped up Mondeo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

Sobanek wrote: »
    Meh. Supped up Mondeo.

Not a bad thing, mondeo reliability with better looks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

A Mondeo is hardly a luxobarge though!

That said, it's not a bad bangernomics car, just posted in the wrong thread :D

CL 500, asking €4,995

32629493.jpeg

S500, yours for under €2k

31429950.jpeg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

That s500 is great value. Some car for small money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Just priced car + 12 months tax and insurance on the S500 for the craic, comes to €4,999 for me. Checking fuelly, some folks are getting 25 UK MPG which isn't bad considering.

Edit: an S320 works out €580 cheaper to insure, and S280 insurance almost exactly 50% of the S500.

Trojan wrote: »
    Edit: an S320 works out €580 cheaper to insure, and S280 insurance almost exactly 50% of the S500.

That means your quote on the S500 was over a grand? Presuming you are over 30 with full NCB, I'd say you could get a much better quote than that. You need to seriously shop around though, ring all insurance companies and all brokers

The last quote for my BMW 735i V8 a few years ago was about €500 and that was fully comp, with limited business use and full NCB protection

unkel wrote: »
    That means your quote on the S500 was over a grand? Presuming you are over 30 with full NCB, I'd say you could get a much better quote than that. You need to seriously shop around though, ring all insurance companies and all brokers

The last quote for my BMW 735i V8 a few years ago was about €500 and that was fully comp, with limited business use and full NCB protection

I'm 36, living in rural county, private driveway, 5+ years NCB, no points or claims. I did chose personal + commuting. (Aside: as a self-employed (i.e. director) consultant/business mentor/software developer, I find the occupation field difficult to fill in). I did notice an immediate €200 drop when I turned 36.

The S500 was €1390 from AA. NoNonsense site wouldn't quote me, and I didn't do further checks. (Is there anyone else who gives an immediate online quote?)

Here's the breakdown (all from AA):
    Year	Car		 Reg	 Engine Tax	Insurance	 Car 
    2000	Mercedes S500	00D1689	 5.0 	 € 1,809 	 €1,390 €1,800 
    2000	Mercedes S320	---	 3.2 	 € 1,809 	 €814 	 €1,800 
    2000	Mercedes S280	---	 2.8 	 € 1,391 	 €685 	 €1,500

I'm not sure where else you would get an immediate online quote. But if you're seriously considering buying that S500, you will have to invest a few hours doing it the old fashioned way: on the phone ringing all big brokers and all insurers

For me broker Glennons got better quotes than anyone for many years running (insured with Eagle Star). Several other people on this forum have stated the same (with other higher end cars like a BMW M3 / BMW M5 iirc)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Just priced car + 12 months tax and insurance on the S500 for the craic, comes to €4,999 for me. Checking fuelly, some folks are getting 25 UK MPG which isn't bad considering.

Would nearly be cheaper to fuel a 500 than a 280. I've had both and a 280 is a pig on fuel and to drive. 500 is a dream.:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Crasp

Crasp wrote: »
    I just bought this :o

Got the dreaded airmatic: visit workshop warning last night :(

Just dropped €120 on a TV/video input for the COMAND system too over the weekend...

Haven't taxed it yet though :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

I'm 36, living in rural county, private driveway, 5+ years NCB, no points or claims. I did chose personal + commuting. (Aside: as a self-employed (i.e. director) consultant/business mentor/software developer, I find the occupation field difficult to fill in). I did notice an immediate €200 drop when I turned 36.

The S500 was €1390 from AA. NoNonsense site wouldn't quote me, and I didn't do further checks. (Is there anyone else who gives an immediate online quote?)

My '05 740 is €800 a year, 30 y/o, full NCB etc. The cheapest of 3 brokers and many well known insurers wouldn't quote due to engine size.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

99 735 , 23 (at time of policy) , 5 years NCB , 1000 a year through a broker.
    and S280 insurance almost exactly 50% of the S500.

its also only half the fun :pac:

Would nearly be cheaper to fuel a 500 than a 280. I've had both and a 280 is a pig on fuel and to drive.

I've heard that of quite a few cars where larger engined is similar or even better MPG (down the scale a bit, E39 2.2 vs 2.5 petrol springs to mind).

If I do get a proper barge like a S500, I'd almost certainly be LPGing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭wotswattage

Was it that era of v8 mercs that used shut down one bank of cylinders while cruising to increase economy?
    Might explain the s500 being ok on fuel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Was it that era of v8 mercs that used shut down one bank of cylinders while cruising to increase economy?
    Might explain the s500 being ok on fuel.

I know the v12s did it back as far as the 90s afaik . No idea when the v8 got it

Interesting. Called "variable displacement" in general, and "Active Cylinder Control" specifically on the Merc.

M138 V12 2001-2002
    Daimler AG's Active Cylinder Control (ACC) is a variable displacement technology. It debuted in 2001 on the 5.8 L V12 in the CL600 and S600. Like Chrysler's later Multi-Displacement System, General Motors' Active Fuel Management and Honda's Variable Cylinder Management, it deactivates one bank of the engine's cylinders when the throttle is closed.

In order to preserve the sound of the engines, DaimlerChrysler worked with Eberspaecher to design a special exhaust system for ACC-equipped vehicles. The system uses an active valve to divert exhaust between two different exhaust systems. It also has a variable length intake manifold system to optimize output in the two modes.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/subaru-legacy/7707177

3 litre petrol legacy with heated cow seats and xenons for €1500

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Wow that's cheap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

That'd be great craic to drive. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

Thats prime candidate for LPG and/or commercial conversion IMO.
    Nice looking car and surprisingly cheap.
    Are we really that opposed to petrol powered 3 liter cars as a nation? I knew it was bad but a top spec 05 awd legacy for sub 1500??

No market for it. Kinda falls between two stools. It's not a barge, it's nothing special that you could 'justify' paying 2k a year to tax.

Would make a smashing track car.

Big Nasty wrote: »
    No market for it. Kinda falls between two stools. It's not a barge, it's nothing special that you could 'justify' paying 2k a year to tax.

Would make a smashing track car.

I dunno. At 1495 (probably 1300 odd to buy) I could justify the 1500 p/a tax.

Convert to RWD and would indeed make a great track car! I've seen a few such conversions for sale in the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

whether its a barge or not, that is a bargain and a half. FFS im nearly creaming meself looking at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,492 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Are we really that opposed to petrol powered 3 liter cars as a nation? I knew it was bad but a top spec 05 awd legacy for sub 1500??

Jaysus, forget the LPG, could it benefit from a turbo or a supercharger?

Marcusm wrote: »
    Jaysus, forget the LPG, could it benefit from a turbo or a supercharger?

Yes it bloody could!
    Those engines make loads if power on low boost, 7psi would be loads of a daily sleeper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/lexus-gs300-sport/7485618

I think these cross the Luxobarge territory... What do you think?
    AFAIK they all come with Heated & Ventilated Seats as standard :eek:

Of course it does.

Lexii never did it for me though.

• Advertisement

I don't like that model, kindof falls between two categories for me. If I wanted a high tax luxo-lexus I'd want the ls430 with probably the world's quietest v8. If I wanted one for fun driving I'd want an IS200 and mod it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

I don't like that model, kindof falls between two categories for me. If I wanted a high tax luxo-lexus I'd want the ls430 with probably the world's quietest v8. If I wanted one for fun driving I'd want an IS200 and mod it up.

There is a market there alright. I like 'em, not as costly to run as big sister, yet a silky smooth 3l on tap. Discreet and luxurious inside, there is some great value gs 's about. Mainly because of the high tax. The IS is just that bit more mainstream.
    When paying high tax it's easy to say you should go for the v8 but there are extra costs involved in fueling extra clynders, as you know.
    If the price is right and you pick up a good one, they make a nice luxobarge imo.

cadaliac wrote: »
    There is a market there alright. I like 'em, not as costly to run as big sister, yet a silky smooth 3l on tap. Discreet and luxurious inside, there is some great value gs 's about. Mainly because of the high tax. The IS is just that bit more mainstream.
    When paying high tax it's easy to say you should go for the v8 but there are extra costs involved in fueling extra clynders, as you know.
    If the price is right and you pick up a good one, they make a nice luxobarge imo.
    I do indeed, I've a v8 and a v6(albeit a twin turbo) outside sure.

There isn't normally more than a couple of mpg involved between 8 and 6 cylinder engines in a similar weighted vehicle. Indeed on a longer cruise I've found that the 8pot does similar to the 6pot.

Certainly for the €1809 rate I would want 8 cylinders minimum. At the €1494 rate that's not really normal, most v8 engines are over 3.0 liters. I guess I struggle to see the attraction to a car that is somewhat of a luxobarge but is trumped in the stakes by its stablemate, the ls430. However there's a price for everything, and at the right money the 6pot can find a home :P

I was unconvinced as to the GS until I sat in one.
    The cabin bridged the gap between luxury and sports perfectly, didn't drive it though, it was in a scrap yard. :p

If I wanted one though, I import a Toyota Aristo from Japan. Same car just better bits, two turbos and a six speed box. ;)

CianRyan wrote: »
    I was unconvinced as to the GS until I sat in one.
    The cabin bridged the gap between luxury and sports perfectly, didn't drive it though, it was in a scrap yard. :p

If I wanted one though, I import a Toyota Aristo from Japan. Same car just better bits, two turbos and a six speed box. ;)
    Yes!
    Saw one for sale a while back (before the Big Bird purchase..), should have at least gone to see it.

Sad because no Aristo, happy that the name has stuck. :p:D

• Advertisement

CianRyan wrote: »
    Sad because no Aristo, happy that the name has stuck. :p:D
    Herself doesn't like it. But I do, and that's all that matters.

Big Bird is landing on Saturday. Much laying down of rubber around meath will follow. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭simplybam

Big Nasty wrote: »
    Of course it does.

Lexii never did it for me though.

^ that - just an over-priced Toyota, really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 203 ✭✭wilford

I'm going to be in the market for a gs shortly would an import aristo make more sense?
    looking to spend about 8k max.

wilford wrote: »
    I'm going to be in the market for a gs shortly would an import aristo make more sense?
    looking to spend about 8k max.

They generally have better spec, there's a few importers in Ireland that could help you with your search.
    We have a thread dedicated to importing from Japan too.

And Lexus being an overpriced Toyota?
    Shows how little you know of either brand.

simplybam wrote: »

Personal abuse should be allowed to riposte this crap tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

simplybam wrote: »

It looks to me you havent a clue what you are talking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

I'd say it's fairly priced tbh. As Big Nasty says it falls between stools. Subarus are terminally unfashionable anyway, Impreza excepted. The butt of Rubberbandits' jokes and so on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭mullingar

Sobanek wrote: »
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/lexus-gs300-sport/7485618

I think these cross the Luxobarge territory... What do you think?
    AFAIK they all come with Heated & Ventilated Seats as standard :eek:

Just an FYI, these have direct injection so LPG won't be an option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭mullingar

Aristo 's only came in the Mk1 + Mk2 shape GS300 from 93-97 & 98-05. There were two versions, the standard 2JZ-GE 3.0 non-turbo which was rebranded as the Lexus GS300 and the bonkers 2JZ-GTE 3.0 twin turbo for the JDM market only so had a Toyota badge.

The main difference between the Mk1 and Mk2 2JZ engines was the addition of vvti

The 2JZ-GTE engine was so good Toyota put it into the Mk4 Supra.

The 2JZ-GTE is a very easy swap into a GS300 as Toyota used the same wiring looms

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

mullingar wrote: »
    Just an FYI, these have direct injection so LPG won't be an option.

Direct Injection can be done now, with Prins 5th Generation 'LiquiMax' systems.

It actually doesn't even use a 20% mix of petrol as some systems did for direct injections, it's 100% running on gas.

Quite pricey compared to a standard setup, however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

Saw a lovely 1998 750i V12 in the Merrion centre. Wonder if they post here.

porsche959 wrote: »
    Saw a lovely 1998 750i V12 in the Merrion centre. Wonder if they post here.

If not perhaps they should!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭BnB

Probably a bit flakey to call this a Luxobarge - But still, I'm strangely drawn to it.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/nissan-patrol-3-0-d-elegance-7-seater/7727995

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

BnB wrote: »
    Probably a bit flakey to call this a Luxobarge - But still, I'm strangely drawn to it.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/nissan-patrol-3-0-d-elegance-7-seater/7727995

POA does my bleedin head in!

Do people who put POA on an actually want to sell their cars??

BnB wrote: »

Is that your best effort, really?

That yoke was last NCTd over 3 years ago :rolleyes:

And don't get me started about posting cars here that do not have an asking price :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement