Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LUXOBARGE (sub5k) of the week/day

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

My 2.8 did 20-22MPG around town, 36MPG on a run. 25-26MPG is easily done on mixed driving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭mullingar

My 17 year old 3.0 auto would do a petrol average of 24mpg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

This post has been deleted.

my 3.5 V8 gets 30-32 on a motorway jaunt from dublin to limerick.
    around town your talking 18-20 , but with 60/40 motorway/urban usage, im averaging close to 25.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

around town your talking 18-20 , but with 60/40 motorway/urban usage, im averaging close to 25.

That's pretty good, especially considering the comfort of that car.
    My v8 would max out at 23mpg going dublin-galway and back at 100 kmph, but that was a GMC pickup to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

around town your talking 18-20

Mine was similar enough but my mix was bad. A lot of heavy traffic commuting, very little open road, a lot of fast overtaking and not always sticking to the speed limit on completely empty motorways at 6AM brought down my average to 20mpg

• Advertisement

Interesting seeing others MPGs, most are very manageable.

My current 4l V8 is quite poor, purely town driving is yielding about 15-16MPG, it sat around 18MPG in the summer. Did a test of the on board readout and it's completely accurate.

I've noticed that putting the boot down for just 5 seconds once or twice a week will drop the MPG a massive amount over the course of a full tank, pretty mental.

My last I6 2.8 wasn't anywhere near as thirsty, you'd never get it below 18-19MPG no matter how hard you drove.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

I used to get 30 motorway and about 15 urban! :o

The Trans Am used to do about 15 motorway and I-haven't-a-fookin-clue urban. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Tommyboy40

My 5.0 V8 will return 28ish on the motorway at 130kmh (if I ever broke the limit) and considerably less in town. 450 miles full tank motorway, 250 town. All it's cost in 6 years beside standard servicing is a track rod and a pair of front discs. Enormous Ventilated front discs and pads from a main dealer cost €220

Big Nasty wrote: »
    I used to get 30 motorway and about 15 urban! :o

The Trans Am used to do about 15 motorway and I-haven't-a-fookin-clue urban. :D

ON the topic of yanktanks, my mopar did approx 6-7 mpg on a motorway drive from cork to navan.

Although I had only gotten the car then so perhaps with less flooring it it would be better :)

My current 4l V8 is quite poor

745i E65 is what, at least 200kg heavier than a 728i E38? That really counts in town driving!

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    745i E65 is what, at least 200kg heavier than a 728i E38? That really counts in town driving!

Also wheel size being bigger overall and possibly a different final drive ratio could make a difference. Is that a factory sport VM ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭Old diesel

3.5 v8 - X350 Jag XJ8????

No, E38 BMW 735i

I had one myself...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,448 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

4.2 S/C V8 gets maybe 8-10 around town and up to 20 on 130kmh motor way drives.

4.4 twin turbo V 8 gets 25 or so on motorway runs and maybe 12-15 around town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭Old diesel

No, E38 BMW 735i

I had one myself...

Apologies - slow moment - I forgot about BMW 3.5s and Rover 3.5s

:(

Still haven't had to NCT it so not sure of the weight, but I reckon you're not far off, prob 150kg heavier.
    Also wheel size being bigger overall and possibly a different final drive ratio could make a difference. Is that a factory sport VM ?

Mines not a sport at all and didn't leave the factory with my wheels, it actually shipped with style 95s in 19". BMW Ireland stuck 20" 149s on it as a show car.

Never thought about the wheel size, that would certainly affect the mpg. The E38 had a 1:3.23 diff, the E66 is 1:3.62 or so RealOEM tells me.

ON the topic of yanktanks, my mopar did approx 6-7 mpg on a motorway drive from cork to navan.

Although I had only gotten the car then so perhaps with less flooring it it would be better :)

That's a 440 6-pack yeah?

Them six barrel carbs are a killer on juice.

That's a 440 6-pack yeah?

Them six barrel carbs are a killer on juice.

Tis just that aye, a 1970 plymouth 440 TNT 6bbl if I'm not mistaken
    I'm hearing through the grapevine that a previous owner had a supercharger on it for a short period of time and it was doing 2 miles to the gallon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

25mpg average here with a 5.4 V12... 70% motorway 30% stop-start city driving.
    Calculated with maths, not the onboard computer, that guy is a pure dreamer (35mpg, right :pac: )

You can change that out for a 4 barell. Make fvck all difference to performance but will make going on a good long spin a lot more reasonable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

http://www.adverts.ie/car/bmw/5-series/bmw-523-se-automatic/7152767

This is crazy, you can bearly pick up a decent German 05 hatback for that money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

NCT out 5 months. If it was just a visual, why doesn't the seller stick in 2 part worns (€80 for 2 decent ones) and pass the test? I'm sceptical here. According to the NCT website, a re-test is not available, only scheduling a new test. Say no more...

Also big miles for the autobox, if it hasn't been serviced. Also the pic of the servicing on the iDrive means nothing. Any fool can reset those after 1 minute researching youtube.

There's plenty of great value petrol E60s out there. The buyer is king.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

NCT out 5 months. If it was just a visual, why doesn't the seller stick in 2 part worns (€80 for 2 decent ones) and pass the test? I'm sceptical here. According to the NCT website, a re-test is not available, only scheduling a new test. Say no more...

Also big miles for the autobox, if it hasn't been serviced. Also the pic of the servicing on the iDrive means nothing. Any fool can reset those after 1 minute researching youtube.

There's plenty of great value petrol E60s out there. The buyer is king.
    +1 on the NCT and tyres.... sniff sniff.

Is the auto that soft? 133k miles - are they not a sealed "lifetime" unit?

The lifetime sealed claim is worthy of its own discussion thread! Suffice to say on this thread is that the car manufacturers state life time sealed / needs no service, whereas the manufacturer of the box, ZF, offers a full service on the box themselves...

One of the main reasons I bought my own E60 was that the tranny oil and filter had just been replaced at 150k km

By all means, this generation of ZF box seems to hold up well, I haven't heard much about failures. Interesting little fact is that the auto transmission in the E60 is the same that goes into the VW Phaeton (basically a hand-built Bentley)

Even though supposedly sealed I replace the gearbox oil and filter on all mine every 60 k miles. It's preventative maintenance

Tommyboy40 wrote: »
    Even though supposedly sealed I replace the gearbox oil and filter on all mine every 60 k miles. It's preventative maintenance

Going to a flush on mine in a few months. Recommended at 100k miles. I'm not going to open it though. It clears the torque converter also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

I've been thinking about changing the fluid/filter in mine but I've heard the transmission might not take well to the change if it hasn't been changed before as it's so used to what it was using.

I've been thinking about changing the fluid/filter in mine but I've heard the transmission might not take well to the change if it hasn't been changed before as it's so used to what it was using.

some opinions :
    here

• Advertisement

I think that mechanics seem to be scared of autos and subscribe to the 'best leave it alone camp. It seem ridiculous to believe that the oil will last 200k. My SL up shifts later when cold but this is to warm up quicker. It's an easy job if you have a pit or lift but trickier in a driveway. Mercedes charge €250 for filter, gasket, labour and fluid on an E class. It is important to drain the torque converter also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭kingofburt

I've recently moved home and have been following this and the bangernomics thread with interest!

I came across this GS earlier, if its as genuine as they claim its a great deal. It can be exported to Northern Ireland with a VRT rebate of €750, so that makes it £2,500 stg, underpriced by about £4,000, but I do too many miles to justify it.

36638273.jpeg

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/lexus-gs300/8424169?offset=1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

kingofburt wrote: »
    I've recently moved home and have been following this and the bangernomics thread with interest!

I came across this GS earlier, if its as genuine as they claim its a great deal. It can be exported to Northern Ireland with a VRT rebate of €750, so that makes it £2,500 stg, underpriced by about £4,000, but I do too many miles to justify it.

36638273.jpeg

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/lexus-gs300/8424169?offset=1

Couple of things.
    The rebate is not known unless the appraisal had been carried out on the car as it may have come into the country via a vrt exemption or even if registered new here, it could have been bought by disabled driver with a vrt exemption. In those cases there is no rebate available.
    Secondly, is it really worth 6500 sterling in uk?
    Even without rebate, it's a no brainer if worth that in the uk

mickdw wrote: »
    Couple of things.
    The rebate is not known unless the appraisal had been carried out on the car as it may have come into the country via a vrt exemption or even if registered new here, it could have been bought by disabled driver with a vrt exemption. In those cases there is no rebate available.
    Secondly, is it really worth 6500 sterling in uk?
    Even without rebate, it's a no brainer if worth that in the uk

3 litre cars never got the disabled exemption Afaik, can anyone confirm.

Also not a menttion of nct and for sale in donegal worries me

And that would be a hard enough colour to sell compared to black or silver , especially in the uk

And that would be a hard enough colour to sell compared to black or silver , especially in the uk
    ivory callely the politician was driving around in a range rover which availed of the vrt and vat rebate to the max amount so it would seem all is possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,825 ✭✭✭✭bear1

And for very good reason, it expired on the 03/05/14.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭kingofburt

Yeah, it's got potential to be a dud, but if it's genuine like they say then it's some serious motor for the price. It doesn't suit me to run it and try to sell it at the same time, I was just sticking it up in case someone was interested.

No idea why the for sale in Donegal would worry you, it's not some clapped out car, normal people live there too and they even have roads with tarmac:rolleyes:

mickdw wrote: »
    ivory callely the politician was driving around in a range rover which availed of the vrt and vat rebate to the max amount so it would seem all is possible.

I could be wrong but I think it's 2L for a disabled driver and up to 4L for a carer.

I could be wrong but I think it's 2L for a disabled driver and up to 4L for a carer.

Yep. I think there was a difference between driver or carer as you say.

Ivor Calelly claimed a lot of expenses (some entirely made up), thinking he could get away with it.

He couldn't. He's in jail now for fraud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Seems extremely underpriced so there must be a good reason for it. My father sold his 07 GS300 with similar milage for €8500 a few months ago. The DL plates are never a good sign but would be worth a call to get all the details.

• Advertisement

Ivor Calelly claimed a lot of expenses (some entirely made up), thinking he could get away with it.

He couldn't. He's in jail now for fraud.

I'm aware of that but the range rover was legit in terms of being suitable for the rebate - it was well investigated at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 203 ✭✭wilford

After looking at a few gs's before I got mine that is well below what they should be looking for,also you will find it hard to get a bargain gs in the uk they are all a lot more expensive than you'll find over here.

I had a look at 4 GS300s before I bought my E38 and there's always been an issue with something - mileage, rust etc.

I think it's easier to find a decent one in the UK.

GS with <100k miles
    NCT until 2016
    €3999
    here

Looks good, but isn't the asking price very optimistic?

Looks good, but isn't the asking price very optimistic?

Indeed, I didn't research it too much. It was just in response to the previous comments about the cost of a GS here versus the UK.

Sobanek wrote: »

that actually looks like a decent barge, for that money you can't go wrong. Fairly well spec'd too, only seems to be missing navigation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭ofcork

The alloys look like they came off an IS look small on the gs.

Are people out there still looking at luxobarges? Has anyone seen any trends, less on the ground etc?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement