Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LUXOBARGE (sub5k) of the week/day

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Are people out there still looking at luxobarges? Has anyone seen any trends, less on the ground etc?

Yes since the economy picked up and the price of fuel dropped there's very few bargains. Also a chance on certain models that the VRT export refund may have sent some to the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Are people out there still looking at luxobarges? Has anyone seen any trends, less on the ground etc?

even in terms of luxury cars.

Range rovers - especially TDV8 models and high spec models have pretty much disappeared from sale (no vogue SE's on donedeal, 1 on carzone, even real vogue's are hard to come by unless youll accept one with mega miles)

e66 745i's - I remember at one point there were 10-15 of these on donedeal in one go, now there are none, very hard to find, 750's and other high end stuff too.

e38's - very few left for sale, especially anything over a 728i

s500's - used to be 10+ for sale at any one time , 00-03 models for under 5k , now theres 3 intact ones left on donedeal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I would have been crying out for the vrt rebate to be introduced.
    Now I can see that it is taking away all the nice old cars

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Wow, that's a same, suppose it was only a matter of time.

In fairness we didn't have that great a selection as such, just lots of the same thing left over from the boom, CL500s, S500s, 745is coming out of our ears; very few with anything over base trim.

Just goes to show how few people actually drive these cars in this country, in a mere 12 months they've disappeared.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Is the hassle of finding a buyer in the UK, MOT'ing it and applying for a rebate at with an automatic €500 deduction really worth it? I was offered an 03 S320 for €3k last year. I was considering selling it in the UK but when I saw what had to be done it didn't seem worth the hassle plus there was no guarantee of a profit at the end of it all.

Has anyone here done it?

I suspect many went much further abroad than the UK; the same cars weren't much more expensive over there than they were here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,191 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

My BMW is in Poland somewhere. :-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

What's the import process like for Poland, Russia, etc.? Does it have to pass an initial road worthiness test and have dials in MPH like the UK?

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    Is the hassle of finding a buyer in the UK, MOT'ing it and applying for a rebate at with an automatic €500 deduction really worth it? I was offered an 03 S320 for €3k last year. I was considering selling it in the UK but when I saw what had to be done it didn't seem worth the hassle plus there was no guarantee of a profit at the end of it all.

Has anyone here done it?

Not done it but certainly money to be made on expensive stuff, not in stuff of this price range imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

mickdw wrote: »
    Not done it but certainly money to be made on expensive stuff, not in stuff of this price range imo.

I worked it out at the time and you could take a 2006-2009 range rover vogue from here and land it in the uk, mot register and all and break even with uk prices , so if you took the vrt rebate as your profit you were walking away with 2.5-4k a car

M

If you had a contact on the other end to register and sell them there's lots of money to be made.

I worked it out at the time and you could take a 2006-2009 range rover vogue from here and land it in the uk, mot register and all and break even with uk prices , so if you took the vrt rebate as your profit you were walking away with 2.5-4k a car

So you would have a situation where a tax rebate is taxable :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

There's one more on the ground. I'm moving country and I can't bring my 04 LS430 (mentioned back in October and December 2013 of this thread). I'm going to have to sell her :(

My bias of having one for sale now notwithstanding, if you're into cars you should own at least 1 luxobarge. It's a different experience to anything else.

It's killing me to get rid of it, mostly because I taxed the feckin yoke up until October 2015, about 2 weeks before the job opportunity raised it's head.

To top it off the country I'm heading for has an incredibly poor motoring pedigree, it's a Caribbean island with lots of salty breezes and all the cars need to be (expensively) shipped from America. So I'll end up in a rusty Chevrolet within the next few weeks after becoming used to having my buns toasted these cold mornings by heated leather seats.

Feck it.

Feck it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

This post has been deleted.

I didn't want to say, I know you're not meant to use this as a platform to advertise.

There's only 90k kms on it so looking at the market it's worth €6k but I'd be willing to negotiate obviously. I haven't put it up on Carzone yet. You can PM me if you're interested.

Mods remove that if it's not kosher!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Bigus

kevpants wrote: »
    There's one more on the ground. I'm moving country and I can't bring my 04 LS430 (mentioned back in October and December 2013 of this thread). I'm going to have to sell her :(

My bias of having one for sale now notwithstanding, if you're into cars you should own at least 1 luxobarge. It's a different experience to anything else.

It's killing me to get rid of it, mostly because I taxed the feckin yoke up until October 2015, about 2 weeks before the job opportunity raised it's head.

To top it off the country I'm heading for has an incredibly poor motoring pedigree, it's a Caribbean island with lots of salty breezes and all the cars need to be (expensively) shipped from America. So I'll end up in a rusty Chevrolet within the next few weeks after becoming used to having my buns toasted these cold mornings by heated leather seats.

Feck it.

Feck it.

Buy yourself a nice road bike and get fit and tanned , instead of fat and a tanned arsè, or maybe ship a motorbike from here ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Think of the sunshine on your back,and forget about the cold here. That'll fix the hurt. Good luck:)

Bigus wrote: »
    Buy yourself a nice road bike and get fit and tanned , instead of fat and a tanned arsè, or maybe ship a motorbike from here ?

I was thinking bike but I think I'd be divorced. It's a small place and I do run so I gues I'll just have to settle for the tanned Adonis option. Ho hum.
    Think of the sunshine on your back,and forget about the cold here. That'll fix the hurt. Good luck:)

Thanks a million. The car is the only drawback. It's a great opportunity!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Could you stick it in storage somewhere ? If it's done right at least your car'd be there for you if/when you're back -

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Markcheese wrote: »
    Could you stick it in storage somewhere ? If it's done right at least your car'd be there for you if/when you're back -

Considered it. But for the value of the car it's nearly not worth it, you could buy a whole new one for the price of properly storing it. If it doesn't shift it's definitely an option though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

There's more to VALYE than monetary value. Nice barges are getting like hobby horses ****e here now. You'll prob never get one again unless Lexus come out with a 1.6 TDI version. Think about Marks idea,it's not entirely hairbrained.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭mullingar

I didn't want to say, I know you're not meant to use this as a platform to advertise.

There's only 90k kms on it so looking at the market it's worth €6k but I'd be willing to negotiate obviously. I haven't put it up on Carzone yet. You can PM me if you're interested.

Just to add salt to the wound, there is another 04 Ls430 just advertised today which was NCT'd yesterday and valid until September15, 4 months tax, similar mileage @57k miles for €3,900......

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2004-lexus-ls-430/8557715

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭ofcork

Would you question why the nct wasn't done last year when due?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Don't worry, it's fine to mention your own car. We've discussed that before. You can even link to your ad. As long as you are clear it is your own car for sale :)

Best of luck with the sale and the move!
    ofcork wrote: »
    Would you question why the nct wasn't done last year when due?

Nah. It was done yesterday. Which is better in my book than last September. Probably a realistic enough price, considering supply of luxobarges is now low and petrol is cheap. I doubt the seller would refuse €3.5k though - sorry kevpants if that is not what you wanted to hear!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

What's it like as a daily? I've been looking at the all week and seriously considering one as my next car. Was even looking at the GS 300.

Are they heavy on petrol?
    I've had V8's before (4.4 X5) so not totally clueless to the real world figures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭W123-80's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

Very tidy looking.

That Merc is on the full fat tax rate so roughly has €1200 of it left. So an equivalent without tax is only €2800.

Cheap barge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

W123-80's wrote: »
    Test Jan '15
    Tax Sept '15 (I assume PSV?)
    Asking €3,995

http://cars.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/mercedes-benz-s-class-s320-3-2-2003/8603257?offset=9

Just noticed the below in the above advert, does that mean they'll fit a washing machine engine to my car, seriously how could I explain that to the NCT tester.

*Gerard Lee Motors Ltd is a Bosch approved service center located in Dun Laoghaire, South County Dublin.

• Moderators Posts: 12,385 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

JJJJNR wrote: »
    W123-80's wrote: »
    Test Jan '15
    Tax Sept '15 (I assume PSV?)
    Asking €3,995

http://cars.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/mercedes-benz-s-class-s320-3-2-2003/8603257?offset=9

Just noticed the below in the above advert, does that mean they'll fit a washing machine engine to my car, seriously how could I explain that to the NCT tester.

*Gerard Lee Motors Ltd is a Bosch approved service center located in Dun Laoghaire, South County Dublin.

I really hate it when people create non-vintage cars into the vintage car category.

• Advertisement

But great for bargain hunters.....

JJJJNR wrote: »
    *Gerard Lee Motors Ltd is a Bosch approved service center

The Bosch approved car service centers have very high standards in my experience. I wouldn't bring my car elsewhere when it comes to a difficult diagnostics issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

I see the 05 GS300 was sold after being up for 2 weeks I wonder was it a genuine car as I looked at the ad every day.

Thoughts on this?

Linky

Nearly half a million kilometers!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

unkel wrote: »
    Thoughts on this?

Linky

I would love 1 but wouldn't spend that much on something that wil be costing a lot when things start going on it.

Comfort bus is all I can say.

wouldn't spend that much on something that wil be costing a lot when things start going on it.

When or if? I've had several old big BMWs (much older than that one) and never had any big bills.

That said, they were all petrol. And nowhere near that kinda mileage :)

Sobanek wrote: »

Luxobarge requirements:
    Price: Max €5k (updated by moderator)
    Thoughts on this?...........

Price: € 8,950

wrong thread imo

And I'd share the sentiment above, €9k is a huge wad of cash to be spending on a car that has 300k miles on it. Given your views on the BMW auto transmission fluid changing I would have thought you'd be wary of a 300k miler.

Forgot about the €5k limit, apologies. Probably a bad idea to pick a high miler diesel anyway :p

How about this?

'02 735i V8, NCT + tax + 1 owner (all genuine), asking €2,950. No mention of miles though but probably nowhere near half a million km :p
    Augeo wrote: »
    Given your views on the BMW auto transmission fluid changing

My views aren't so black and white. In fact, one of the reasons I bought my current car (with the 6 speed ZF box) was that the previous owner had just changed autobox filter + oil at about 150k km. These boxes seem to last longer and give less trouble than the previous gen anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Must be a very rare car in this country...

Nice one!

• Advertisement

I'd love a spin in one of those.

Seweryn wrote: »

Nice one!

That is a class car..

Nice one!

Love it! There were only ever a handful of them sold here. And I've never before seen one for sale for a reasonable price. This ad is 2 hours old now, I doubt the car will still be for sale this time tomorrow

Best of luck to both the seller and the buyer :)

M

Nice one!

If only it wasn't powered by the black fuel.

I wonder why the Citroen badge is upside down

37701250.jpeg

Love it! There were only ever a handful of them sold here. And I've never before seen one for sale for a reasonable price. This ad is 2 hours old now, I doubt the car will still be for sale this time tomorrow

Best of luck to both the seller and the buyer :)

15 available on autotrader.co.uk. 4 on carandclassic. So rare all round. Comparing prices & mileage with the one above it is a very good buy..
    Wish I was in the market..!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

I'd be a bit suspect of the seller's other adds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

If only it wasn't powered by the black fuel.
    Well, it is a V6 and not a bad engine at all in fairness.

Here is an interesting review:

And another one:

Jeayzis, I like this machine. It is in a class of its own, isn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭Old diesel

The issue I see with a C6 is finding someone able to maintain one of these in Ireland.

The C6 equivalent of what George Dalton is for VAG owners

Stunning car thought - and surely a future classic in the making if the cars survive long term

C6 sold...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Blue850

Thoughts on this?

Linky

In Galway...I wonder was that silver 07 730d that was running on its own engine oil at the lights at Briarhill junction last year, revving like a b@stard and it wouldn't knock off with the key, and wouldn't stall cos of the auto....

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement