Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LUXOBARGE (sub5k) of the week/day

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

bear1 wrote: »
    2 things, I'd take a picture of the engine... get those chrome pipes cleaned up ;)
    2nd thing I'd do is spend the 50e and stick through the NCT and pop up a picture of the fail sheet so people know exactly what is wrong.
    Could help it shift even quicker.

Good advice there , as a 166 owner myself Alfa's like that V6 are a niche market at the minute only Alfa lovers will look for that majority of the market are in BMW/Audi division.

Top quality car at that price though and yes that engine is out of this world, so clean it up and get pictures of it up. Get it through the NCT.

As I said, anyone likely to come view it or buy it first thing I'd be looking for is the NCT report , service history , condition of engine bay , leather , exhaust , suspspention , clutch.

Looks clean though , good look!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Is1ldur wrote: »
    Does anyone mind me nominating my own ad?

http://www.adverts.ie/car/alfa-romeo/166/2000-alfa-romeo-166-for-sale/7545035

Price is a probably a little high, but I have heard bad things about lowballing on Adverts.ie! And it is the best V6 ever made!

They are a lovely car and the engine is great but given the few jobs it needs and the market we have, that is a 400 to 500 quid car imo.
    I have owned a 166 in the past that was only 3 years old and had 40k miles and I very quickly got to know the parts guy in tractamotors on first name terms so I know very well how they can eat money. Interestingly, at the time, my ics system (radio) stopped working and as they were impossible to find secondhand at that stage, I was quoted 2300 for a new one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

mickdw wrote: »
    that is a 400 to 500 quid car imo.

I'd normally agree but the engine alone is worth a good bit more than that. That said, I can't see the car fetch anywhere near the asking price unless TB is done and at least an NCT fail sheet is produced (showing very little needs doing)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

They are a lovely car and the engine is great but given the few jobs it needs and the market we have, that is a 400 to 500 quid car imo.
    I have owned a 166 in the past that was only 3 years old and had 40k miles and I very quickly got to know the parts guy in tractamotors on first name terms so I know very well how they can eat money. Interestingly, at the time, my is system (radio) stopped working and as they were impossible to find secondhand at that stage, I was quoted 2300 for a new one.
    unkel wrote: »
    I'd normally agree but the engine alone is worth a good bit more than that. That said, I can't see the car fetch anywhere near the asking price unless TB is done and at least an NCT fail sheet is produced (showing very little needs doing)
    Irishcrx wrote: »
    Good advice there , as a 166 owner myself Alfa's like that V6 are a niche market at the minute only Alfa lovers will look for that majority of the market are in BMW/Audi division.

Top quality car at that price though and yes that engine is out of this world, so clean it up and get pictures of it up. Get it through the NCT.

As I said, anyone likely to come view it or buy it first thing I'd be looking for is the NCT report , service history , condition of engine bay , leather , exhaust , suspspention , clutch.

Looks clean though , good look!

Fantastic cars alright but without a doubt they eat money.

That silver one looks clean but you can be sure it will need suspension components, most likely in the rear, possible front arms, as well as the timing belts and all that.

Thing is with the suspension is that the car can drive fine, but it's only after you jack it up you can see they're perished.

I absolutely love mine though... Would be a real pity to see another one broke, but that's sometimes reality.

Well it needs a battery, possibly the radio unit and the front bumper repaired together with timing belt.
    All that is before you consider control arms possibly for the test and anything else that comes up, tyres etc
    Given as you say the engine has value, it's certainly worth more broken.

• Advertisement

166man wrote: »
    Fantastic cars alright but without a doubt they eat money.

That silver one looks clean but you can be sure it will need suspension components, most likely in the rear, possible front arms, as well as the timing belts and all that.

Thing is with the suspension is that the car can drive fine, but it's only after you jack it up you can see they're perished.

I absolutely love mine though... Would be a real pity to see another one broke, but that's sometimes reality.

This is thing with them, my went through the NCT today no issues with suspension other than squeeking which is a common issue component s are fine but they need constant checking, I paid 1000 for mine last year and it was in he UK had full service history and in good condition but here's a list of what I've done this year alone.

Pedal box replacement €550
    New clutch €450
    Timing belt and water pump €650
    Repair drainage €130
    Two new rear coil springs €250
    Brakes front/rear €160
    4 new tyres €430

I also done two oil changes, changed the gear box oil and power steering fluid. Now even at that and with a new NCT I'd be lucky to make €1500 for her to me she's worth more than that but to the market..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Sirtoyou

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭mullingar

Sirtoyou wrote: »

Delighted , anyone who buys a car knowing it has a bigger engine than what they are insuring and taxing it for is an idiot.

One , they are not actually insured on the car at all. If you can't/won't pay the correct tax for the engine capacity your driving , then don't drive it. I don't like paying motor tax either, nobody does but if I want to drive my car legally , which I do then that's the deal.

It used to be the Glanza's at it all the time and the Civics if I remember...' Glllaaannnnzzzaaa, downe as a nan turba in buk' cheap insurince...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭Dawn Rider

mullingar wrote: »

The blue headlights on the convertible are a bit naughty too..

• Advertisement

Dawn Rider wrote: »
    The blue headlights on the convertible are a bit naughty too..

Unsure if I love them or hate them??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Unsure if I love them or hate them??

The latter. It's one for the scanger thread.

Big Nasty wrote: »
    The latter. It's one for the scanger thread.

Probably the best thread on the forum , was in stitch's going through it the other night..some absolute belters =)...the money they ask for them is the best part..

S-class down to €3,650 asking. Serious value for money!

S-class down to €3,650 asking. Serious value for money!

I've seen them for half that though..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

I've seen them for half that though..

With a years NCT and €800 worth of tax?

No you haven't.

And did I mention V8, one owner, low miles, long wheel base, Full MB SH, high spec?

Just taxed my own car for the year before I saw that. Otherwise I might have been very tempted...

The BMW is a year younger than the Mercedes but far more miles and asking almost twice as much. No tax, NCT almost out. That W220 is a steal.

With a years NCT and €800 worth of tax?

No you haven't.

And did I mention V8, one owner, low miles, long wheel base, Full MB SH, high spec?

Just taxed my own car for the year before I saw that. Otherwise I might have been very tempted...

Sorry I meant S class merc..

So did I

You quoted me saying S-class :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

The BMW is a year younger than the Mercedes but far more miles and asking almost twice as much. No tax, NCT almost out. That W220 is a steal.

I'm sorry, but I'd pick a facelifted E65 over a W220 any day. Looks much more modern and fresh compared to the Merc.

Pretty nice spec in that E65 and actually not too bad looking. I'd nearly have that myself.

Nearly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

I'd definitely rather that 7 than the S, even with the miles on it. NCT wouldn't worry me too much at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭CheezePleeze

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

2002 , very first model year, plauged with problems, a lot of which werent ironed out until the facelift in 2005.

If its been running this long it might be OK, but a word of caution to anyone going looking , full BMW service / repair history is a must, look for receipts. Also double check everything electrical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭ofcork

I'd definitely rather that 7 than the S, even with the miles on it. NCT wouldn't worry me too much at all.

The 7 was mightily better looking after the 05 facelift whereas the s class didn't really change since it arrived in 99 until new model in 06 so looks more dated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Ardent

Delighted , anyone who buys a car knowing it has a bigger engine than what they are insuring and taxing it for is an idiot.

One , they are not actually insured on the car at all. If you can't/won't pay the correct tax for the engine capacity your driving , then don't drive it. I don't like paying motor tax either, nobody does but if I want to drive my car legally , which I do then that's the deal.

It used to be the Glanza's at it all the time and the Civics if I remember...' Glllaaannnnzzzaaa, downe as a nan turba in buk' cheap insurince...

Remember being very interested in a Jag S-type on Donedeal a couple of years ago. It was advertised as a 3 litre but the online motor tax system reported it as a 2 litre. Didn't go for it in the end, but if anyone pulled me up on it I would just say "listen, I bought it second hand, they advertised it as a 2 litre, I'm not very good with cars, yadda, yadda...".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Ardent

Was just trawling through Donedeal and spotted this also! Serious amount of car for the money!

And it's been reduced by €300. Last time I looked it was €6,750.

Plenty of flash for little cash. Even though it's 10 years old it's still looks very modern.

• Advertisement

Sobanek wrote: »
    Plenty of flash for little cash.

Still overpriced. And from a dodgy dealer. I know you're a fan, but sometimes it's better to try and be objective ;)

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-740li/8652983?offset=18

Here's a cheap 740 variant. I love the description :pac:
    Please no more A***oles its petrol when did you last see a 740 Diesel ?? Also no more w***ers with Diagnostic computers the car is perfect as all previous tyre kickers can prove. If you need to know what it does to the Gallon or what the Road Tax is ? Move on to the next ad. Apoliges to the genuine Buyers

Although it doesn't really make me confident about the condition of the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Unwilling to let someone run a disgnostic on it.

Eejit of a seller

Eejit of a seller

Judging by the condition of the rear seats it's been used as a taxi/hackney before. It therefore may be clocked and that's why the seller hid the reg and doesn't want diagnostics to run. This car is cheap. Anyone would buy it if it was alright I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Judging by the condition of the rear seats it's been used as a taxi/hackney before. It therefore may be clocked and that's why the seller hid the reg and doesn't want diagnostics to run. This car is cheap. Anyone would buy it if it was alright I'd say.

A cheap E66 won't be a cheap E66 for long.

Would you honestly buy a potentially clocked, dodgy E66 because it was cheap?

Ha, I know the chap selling that!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

Big Nasty wrote: »
    Ha, I know the chap selling that!

Give us what you know.

Give us what you know.

I wouldn't!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Crasp

Anyone know what that 750iL would have cost on the forecourt new??

Crasp wrote: »
    Anyone know what that 750iL would have cost on the forecourt new??

2005 750Li started at a €131,100 + delivery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

• Advertisement

That's a 3.5 litre by the way not 3 litre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Eejit of a seller

Would have thought someone doing a diagnostic check would be indicative of someone genuinely interested in buying the car.

I wonder if someones been to seen the car hooked up to a code reader etc - and noticed fault codes????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

3.7 petrol running on LPG, supposedly has a FSH that should be easy to check out and a brand new NCT till 04/16. €3950.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mercedes-benz-s-class-s350-fsh-nct-lpg/8915289?offset=1

39123656.jpeg

A shade under 6 grand for this, but with a short NCT to June. Love these cars all the same.
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mercedes-benz-sl-class-sl320/8298752?offset=1
    38871329.jpeg

Anybody got the cojones to buy this? The money you save with the €52 tax you can invest in keeping it running, no NCT required and cheap insurance if its a second car. So long as the hydraulics are ok and the sub frames aren't rusted they are actually fairly manageable from a financial point of view. At €4000 it might be a bit cheap though.
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/rolls-royce/8488317?offset=9
    36953698.jpeg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

I bought a car from the dealer selling the S class, they were very honest about the car and genuinely nice to deal with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭CptMackey

Question about the 7 series . Do they go badly wrong ? Boss had a 320 sclass 07 and it was in the garage more often than it was out of it and everything was over a 1000 Euro to fix. Are the 7 series as bad ? Always wanted one

CptMackey wrote: »
    Question about the 7 series . Do they go badly wrong ? Boss had a 320 sclass 07 and it was in the garage more often than it was out of it and everything was over a 1000 Euro to fix. Are the 7 series as bad ? Always wanted one

Thats worrying re the 07 s320.
    I thought they were quite reliable.

The 7 series from 2005 facelift on are supposed to be ok as alot of electrical stuff sorted by then. Still have some issues no doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭CptMackey

The 7 series from 2005 facelift on are supposed to be ok as alot of electrical stuff sorted by then. Still have some issues no doubt.

I don't know if it was a Monday car but everything seemed to go wrong. He got rid of it last year after putting 3250 into it when something happened the power . Went into something like a limp mode. Broke his heart

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭Old diesel

You can have bad examples of even the best of cars.

You sure you weren't thinking of the 06 (post facelift E-class)? That's reliable.

The early W221 S-class was not that reliable iirc

Ive heard of another one that gave its owner a lot of grief like the one above,07 was the first year of production iirc so early issues id say.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement