Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LUXOBARGE (sub5k) of the week/day

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

They're around since '05, but possibly a year later in RHD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭ofcork

Sometime in 06 launched here iirc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 935 ✭✭✭wildefalcon

My ex-boss had one of the 006/07 S class, too. Dreadful thing, always in for repair. He gave up on it - left it for them to take way with the key on the tyre. They said " what if someone steals it?".

He said: "if they can start it, they can have it!".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

ofcork wrote: »
    Sometime in 06 launched here iirc.

Yes there were 06 here.
    I've heard of some issues but I know a couple of people with 08 versions with alot of miles and they have been flawless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

Mate of mine had a 2006 320cdi. Needed a €6000 engine rebuild at about 110k miles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Mate of mine had a 2006 320cdi. Needed a €6000 engine rebuild at about 110k miles

Still one of the nicest Diesel engines of the noughties though....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

The real lesson with modern barges is, dont buy the first year of a model, probably even the second to be safe.

2002-2003 e65's are a disaster for example , but by 2004 or even the facelift 2005 theyre fine.

The real lesson with modern barges is, dont buy the first year of a model, probably even the second to be safe.

2002-2003 e65's are a disaster for example , but by 2004 or even the facelift 2005 theyre fine.

I think in general with all new models, it's best to wait till facelift to get a car with the silly stuff ironed out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

mickdw wrote: »
    I think in general with all new models, it's best to wait till facelift to get a car with the silly stuff ironed out.

Also in nearly every instance I can think of the facelift is a far better looking car.

Especially with the E65 / 66.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

double check everything electrical and keep 5k aside to replace modules. first year of a new model, as I said above, it can be a nightmare , it made it this far so it might be ok.

also valve stem seals, expensive to do and a possibility to fail badly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭Old diesel

double check everything electrical and keep 5k aside to replace modules. first year of a new model, as I said above, it can be a nightmare , it made it this far so it might be ok.

also valve stem seals, expensive to do and a possibility to fail badly

A regular poster on here - had the valve stem issue on his 7 series - he posted about it.

Threads around somewhere

Old diesel wrote: »
    A regular poster on here - had the valve stem issue on his 7 series - he posted about it.

Threads around somewhere

that was voodoomelon , garage covered the cost iirc , but to do out of your own pocket would be very costly.

It cost under a grand though didn't it? If I bought a 13 year old car that cost €140k when new then I wouldn't mind a few €1k repair jobs over the years. And at €3k to buy it, you can take a risk. Face a €3k + repair bill in future? Just scrap it and buy another :)

I would love to know the reason for sale for that one is though. The cynic in me tells me there are things wrong with it and it won't pass an NCT as is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Yup, €1300 for valve stem seals and guts of €1200 for the coolant pipe swap.

Both issues affect 545/550/645/650/740/745/750 models and just the coolant pipe affects the 760.

Labour prices above are exceptionally good with the garage I used, i'd expect prices to be 50% more from most other independents.

They're still ridiculous value, as Unkel says just buy one for peanuts, drop a couple of grand into one and you still have a bargain. I'm surprised they're still so cheap, surely they'll start to dry up very soon.

• Advertisement

That car is recorded as transferred to individual in February So either someone trying to flip it at profit or its a lemon.
    It doesn't appear to have a test so I would fear it's a lemon.

I'm surprised they're still so cheap

Curse of the big engined youngtimer
    That car is recorded as transferred to individual in February

Out of interest, how do you check that?

unkel wrote: »
    Curse of the big engined youngtimer

Motortax.ie

Yep motortax.ie
    vehicle transaction query.

also nct site will give test details and carsireland will throw up a few details too if you go to advertise your car section. They usually have number of owners and tax expiry date.

Yep motortax.ie
    vehicle transaction query.

Never spotted that - thanks!

• Advertisement

Never spotted that - thanks!

First day at school stuff tbh! :p

For perspective on the 7 series valve stem seals and coolant pipe - its - imo - very easy to rack up similar bills on a modern diesel.

Put 2 k into your 7 series - and your still in profit compared to running a 20 k modern diesel bought new.....

Old diesel wrote: »
    For perspective on the 7 series valve stem seals and coolant pipe - its - imo - very easy to rack up similar bills on a modern diesel.

Put 2 k into your 7 series - and your still in profit compared to running a 20 k modern diesel bought new.....

Very very true and it amazes me how the ordinary motorist is now routinely paying these type of bills that not too long ago were only seen on S Class mercedes etc.
    I had a similar discussion with a rover 75 owner who complained that it wasn't a good car cause they had spent about 600 on headgasket job. Having bought the car cheap to start with, I pointed out that a new diesel would likely have cost multiples of that in repairs over the 6 years they owned the rover. Anyway they went for an 08 passat after the rover and within a year they had paid for a flywheel and rear brake caliper.

I had a similar discussion with a rover 75 owner who complained that it wasn't a good car cause they had spent about 600 on headgasket job. Having bought the car cheap to start with

9 years ago when the missus needed a bigger car, I was looking at buying an Octavia. Alright car, cheap and cheerful. Econobox. Budget was €7k and that just about would buy us a big miled not great condition 5 year old 1.4 / 1.6

Ended up buying a 5 year old FSH great condition low mileage Rover 75 1.8 for €6k. Far nicer car and a grand still in my pocket for a HG. But it never failed, in fact we spend nothing on the car except basic servicing for the 5 years we had it...

Very very true and it amazes me how the ordinary motorist is now routinely paying these type of bills that not too long ago were only seen on S Class mercedes etc.
    I had a similar discussion with a rover 75 owner who complained that it wasn't a good car cause they had spent about 600 on headgasket job. Having bought the car cheap to start with, I pointed out that a new diesel would likely have cost multiples of that in repairs over the 6 years they owned the rover. Anyway they went for an 08 passat after the rover and within a year they had paid for a flywheel and rear brake caliper.

And they still had to shell out money to change cars from an undesirable to the trade Rover "its a Rover with that K series engine that needs HGs every week - don't want it" - to the Passat "desirable low tax 08 diesel - everyone wants one - can't be got"

Funny how 35 mpg rather then 50 is seen a tricky cost to deal with - but shelling out 11 grand to get to 50 mpg first day - is completely fine

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭CheezePleeze

9 years ago when the missus needed a bigger car, I was looking at buying an Octavia. Alright car, cheap and cheerful. Econobox. Budget was €7k and that just about would buy us a big miled not great condition 5 year old 1.4 / 1.6

Ended up buying a 5 year old FSH great condition low mileage Rover 75 1.8 for €6k. Far nicer car and a grand still in my pocket for a HG. But it never failed, in fact we spend nothing on the car except basic servicing for the 5 years we had it...

I bought a lovely 75 Connoisseur for half the price of the equivalent BMW 5 series. Lovely - leather, cruise control, sat nav etc.

Water got into the boot and wrecked the radio and sat nav, the heater controls went, the alternator went, and the sunroof leaked water.

But in fairness, the engine never let me down... :(

Yep, had the water in the boot too. Turned out one of the plastic plug in (ventilation?) units (for want of a better word) in the side of the boot had leaked. I pulled the part out (it was a BMW branded part!) and just duck taped over the hole. Didn't leak again :D

Sorry for off topic, the Rover 75 is hardly a luxobarge although probably a more comfortable cruiser than many cars posted in here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

Yep, had the water in the boot too. Turned out one of the plastic plug in (ventilation?) units (for want of a better word) in the side of the boot had leaked. I pulled the part out (it was a BMW branded part!) and just duck taped over the hole. Didn't leak again :D

Sorry for off topic, the Rover 75 is hardly a luxobarge although probably a more comfortable cruiser than many cars posted in here.

remember the argument over this last year. I agree I dont think its one either

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭CheezePleeze

Sorry for off topic, the Rover 75 is hardly a luxobarge
    Might not be a luxobarge, but with all that feckin water about, it was like being on a barge...

Do I win a prize...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

Might not be a luxobarge, but with all that feckin water about, it was like being on a barge...

Do I win a prize...

yes, yes you do :D

36449315.jpeg

Cheezeplease you are now the proud owner of a Mercedes S320

All for €1,809

• Advertisement

Very very cheap alright but why hasn't it been tested for over 5 years?

I suppose get it very thoroughly tested and if it works out ok, buy it and keep it forever. What a cool car :cool:

Or just stick it on a boat to Poland - anyone know what this car (with presumably a few serious issues - suspension and the like) might fetch over there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

colm_mcm wrote: »

I might be wrong but those wheels only came on the pre-button handbrake S type

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

Under 2k for that v12 b@stard. That's pretty incredible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

It will be the cost of road tax, insurance & fuel that will kill you! :pac:

Might have a look at that S600 myself next week if its still there, doubt it will be. Money to be made there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Might have a look at that S600 myself next week if its still there, doubt it will be. Money to be made there.

You'd wonder why the dealer isn't making it himself so....

Probably got it for less than €500.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

Very very cheap alright but why hasn't it been tested for over 5 years?

I suppose get it very thoroughly tested and if it works out ok, buy it and keep it forever. What a cool car :cool:

Or just stick it on a boat to Poland - anyone know what this car (with presumably a few serious issues - suspension and the like) might fetch over there?

€3k in RHD at most.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭redlead

It's crazy to think that a Toyota Yaris from the same year would be worth more than that now. The road tax really destroys the valuation of these cars

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Iv driven that car, its a serious machine! If I had space it would be mine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

They couldn't afford the R.

aaakev wrote: »
    Iv driven that car, its a serious machine! If I had space it would be mine

So it's not a bucket of sh1t?
    I would have had my doubts given the long lack of test.
    I don't think it's paticularly cheap though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 809 ✭✭✭filbert the fox

jacksie66 wrote: »
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/862387529

The same car here in New Zealand. That's the minimum price..

i'm led to believe that the antipodoeans know how to operate a tax/insurance collection system - they hook it up to the price of fuel.....soooooo sensible!:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

Holy ****, I'm tempted to take a risk on that. Perfect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,448 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Did one of you but it? It's sold per their website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

So it's not a bucket of sh1t?
    I would have had my doubts given the long lack of test.
    I don't think it's paticularly cheap though.

I drove it about 5 years ago and it wasn't then, the guy who had it always had something like that as his daily driver

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement