Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LUXOBARGE (sub5k) of the week/day

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭v240gltse

oh keep me away !!!!

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/stunning-s-500-just-passed-nct/9026439?offset=2

though i would be looking closely at the disks as from the pictures of the wheel i think i see a very shiny/worn disk and also check out the air suspension and it looks like it has adjustable rear seats .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭PurvesGrundy

I might be wrong but those wheels only came on the pre-button handbrake S type

You are. It's the other way around.

Those wheels were only available after the 2002 update with the new interior, which incorporated the 'button handbrake'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

The more I look at this thread, the more i'm amazed I got €4500 for my 728i. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Jesus! That was only recently(ish) enough too was it not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

There's feck all of them in that kind of condition though to be fair :p Plus, enthusiasts will always pay more.

Was 14 months ago and was in good nick, but still at the higher end of things. It's incredible what these luxobarges on here are going for, absolute madness.

I could count on two hands how many big engined yokes are driving about the entire Dundalk area, you just don't see them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Your car was well worth the premium over are cars! I'd say chances are it was the best 728i E38 in the country :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

Was 14 months ago and was in good nick, but still at the higher end of things. It's incredible what these luxobarges on here are going for, absolute madness.

I could count on two hands how many big engined yokes are driving about the entire Dundalk area, you just don't see them.

Unfortunately, the price indicates the overall desire. Everyone is being taxed into 1.4, low tax, depression boxes and it's only getting worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

v240gltse wrote: »
    oh keep me away !!!!

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/stunning-s-500-just-passed-nct/9026439?offset=2

though i would be looking closely at the disks as from the pictures of the wheel i think i see a very shiny/worn disk and also check out the air suspension and it looks like it has adjustable rear seats .

Nct website doesn't confirm the new nct

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

Does anyone know if these beasts have massaging seats?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Its mad to think that a 15 yr old S500 is worth around the same as a C180 from the same year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

MadYaker wrote: »
    Its mad to think that a 15 yr old S500 is worth around the same as a C180 from the same year.

Thays ireland for ya! Great for the lad who doesn't mind the high tax!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

2001 LS430 €850, can't see the reg but the rear of the car looks like it might be a UK yellow reg can't really make it out. Rubbish ad, no mention of NCT or mileage so car could likely be similarly rubbish...

39677115.jpeg

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/01-lexus-ls-430/9021267?offset=3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 809 ✭✭✭filbert the fox

2001 LS430 €850, can't see the reg but the rear of the car looks like it might be a UK yellow reg can't really make it out. Rubbish ad, no mention of NCT or mileage so car could likely be similarly rubbish...

39677115.jpeg

good timing, rubbish ads are rife

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057404699

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭mullingar

39677115.jpeg

+1, looks like a UK reg.

That car has the rare sliding rear seat with message function and rear audio controls in the arm rest. Yet not one picture of it. It's only the rear seat memory buttons on the rear door that gave it away.

Vrt is probably around €1k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

mullingar wrote: »
    +1, looks like a UK reg.

That car has the rare sliding rear seat with message function and rear audio controls in the arm rest. Yet not one picture of it. It's only the rear seat memory buttons on the rear door that gave it away.

Vrt is probably around €1k
    Even so, too much wear on the seats, unclean drivers footwell when you can clearly see the hoover marks on the rear carpet picture, meaning that they obviously tried to clean it but we're unable to do it correctly. Sh1t ad is an understament understament. No mileage listed pisses me off too.
    /Rant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

It's not mad.

An S500 is going to be costly to tax, maintain, repair and fuel than a C180

Going by your logic, a 911 would similarly depreciate as it fits all the same criteria. But it doesn't.

The s500 was 130k new, the c class about 35k new. It is indeed a mad situation that the former is worth less than the latter after 10 years or so.

• Advertisement

daRobot wrote: »
    Going by your logic, a 911 would similarly depreciate as it fits all the same criteria. But it doesn't.

The s500 was 130k new, the c class about 35k new. It is indeed a mad situation that the former is worth less than the latter after 10 years or so.
    Yes, but for the reasons outlined above.
    Its not as apparent in other countries as their tax is reasonable but it is exaggerated here for the tax reasons.
    Who the fcuk wants to pay €1800 to €2000 tax on a car per year? All 3.0l and above fall into this category, obviously, but its a huge part of the running costs of an already wallet shrinking luxobarge (fuel and maintenance) running cost.
    if they can afford to pay that on tax, they can probably afford a newer car.

cadaliac wrote: »
    Yes, but for the reasons outlined above.
    Its not as apparent in other countries as their tax is reasonable but it is exaggerated here for the tax reasons.
    Who the fcuk wants to pay €1800 to €2000 tax on a car per year? All 3.0l and above fall into this category, obviously, but its a huge part of the running costs of an already wallet shrinking luxobarge (fuel and maintenance) running cost.
    if they can afford to pay that on tax, they can probably afford a newer car.

Do motoring organisations in this State have any lobbying power ?
    Apologies in advance if this has been mentioned before ...

Government policy dictates that there's an archaeic system of taxes relating to engine size of motorised vehicles and this forces the concept of scrapping of larger older cars. These older vehicles, in the main, have been engineered to high standards, many with desirable high specifications
    It's a shame that the philosophy of newness being superior is so ingrained in the psyche of the West (France perhaps, being the exception). It is well known that even with metal recycling the environmental impact of new car production is more damaging the maintaining what is already here.

Can someone enlighten me on whether the motoring organisation have teeth in this area?

Do motoring organisations in this State have any lobbying power ?
    Apologies in advance if this has been mentioned before ...

Government policy dictates that there's an archaeic system of taxes relating to engine size of motorised vehicles and this forces the concept of scrapping of larger older cars. These older vehicles, in the main, have been engineered to high standards, many with desirable high specifications
    It's a shame that the philosophy of newness being superior is so ingrained in the psyche of the West (France perhaps, being the exception). It is well known that even with metal recycling the environmental impact of new car production is more damaging the maintaining what is already here.

Can someone enlighten me on whether the motoring organisation have teeth in this area?

What motoring organisation?
    A boards.ie lobby group could be a good start.

mickdw wrote: »
    What motoring organisation?
    A boards.ie lobby group could be a good start.

Automobile Association

Royal Automobile Club

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,504 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

I came here for cars.

Automobile Association

Royal Automobile Club
    Its all about new money.
    The decision makers don't want old cars on the road - they can't make money from old cars (unless they are taxed @ the old rate and high liters at that.)
    Anyway, new cars is where its at.
    The AA want new cars for "safety" reasons.
    The SIMI want new cars for their members to make money.
    The RAC..... got me there.
    Insurance is higher on new cars - more value.
    The cheap tax was an incentive to buy new cars (08 and above).

• Advertisement

Probably nab this for under €2k.

38473150.jpeg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

Ad says 02, reg says 01.

NCT is genuine. Not a super bargain, but looks like a lot of well maintained car for the money. Would love to see the full service history the ad claims it has. LS does look very dated though. I suppose it hasn't really been refreshed much since it was launched in the late 80s. And even back then the design was conservative.

unkel wrote: »
    NCT is genuine. Not a super bargain, but looks like a lot of well maintained car for the money. Would love to see the full service history the ad claims it has. LS does look very dated though. I suppose it hasn't really been refreshed much since it was launched in the late 80s. And even back then the design was conservative.

That's the mk3, there were two completely different models before it and yes the styling was far too conservative and didn't age well

The mk3.5 (04-06) looks so much better.

Can't see much of a difference myself :)

Current gen (4th) is a bit more modern looking alright

I remember an interesting car test I read in the very early 90s. It was one of those long term tests. They had a first gen LS400 with 185k miles on it and they said it looked and drove like new. I remember being very impressed with that at the time, as no other flagship saloon had ever been able to do that, not even the S-class

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

Can't see much of a difference myself :)

Current gen (4th) is a bit more modern looking alright

I remember an interesting car test I read in the very early 90s. It was one of those long term tests. They had a first gen LS400 with 185k miles on it and they said it looked and drove like new. I remember being very impressed with that at the time, as no other flagship saloon had ever been able to do that, not even the S-class

This is why I love toyotas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Love the LS 400s

mullingar wrote: »
    That's the mk3, there were two completely different models before it and yes the styling was far too conservative and didn't age well

The mk3.5 (04-06) looks so much better.
    2 completely different models before this?
    Surely it was the launch model followed by facelift of that model, then the model advertised here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Surely it was the launch model followed by facelift of that model, then the model advertised here.

There was 2 big facelifts of the LS 400 - plus afaik - one very mild facelift of the original car.

the 1995 facelift saw the new dash bought in - plus they changed the car to improve rear legroom - made the wheelbase longer afaik - so changed the body to accommodate that - plus front end different. The car in the video - has the 1995 facelift mentioned above.

Another facelift in 1998 - new front end, and I believe - VVTI engine and 5 speed autobox.

That 1998 version was the final version of the LS 400 afaik - to bring it to end of production in 2000/01 to be replaced by the LS 430.

Obviously - the changes in the 2 facelifts were more then ive outlined - but just mentioning the key bits I can remember.

Epic cars - if I was told in the morning - you can only have ONE model of car for the rest of your driving days - one model - pick it - can't have anything else - these would be VERY high on the shopping list.

Yes,
    Mk1, mk1.5, mk2, mk2.5 and that's the mk3.0

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lexus_LS

A lot of info here:
    http://www.lexls.com/info/lsgenerations.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

38777870.jpeg

Rare one here Citroen C6, not really sure how good value it is as they don't come up much at all but thought some here might be interested anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

cruizer101 wrote: »
    38777870.jpeg

Rare one here Citroen C6, not really sure how good value it is as they don't come up much at all but thought some here might be interested anyway.

That's expensive.

They normally go for under €10K when they are available here. Even with the bad exchange rate at the moment you can get a better spec C6 Exclusive for well under €10K including VRT from the UK.

Lovely car, probably getting one next time I change car.

There is often one parked on Nassau St, it belongs to the French Embassy, the Alliance Francaise is on that street. The C6 stands out head and shoulders amongst the usual A6's, 5 series , E-Classes that populate that area. Looks totally classy there.

The last one mentioned here had an asking price of less than half that. Nice car but certainly not a bargain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

The last one mentioned here had an asking price of less than half that. Nice car but certainly not a bargain.

Nothing is ever a bargain from that dealer. ;)

I remember years ago he had a Porsche 928 asking for about twice what it would go for in a private sale. No surprise the ad was up for a very long time.

Edit - yeah had a quick look on his website. Let's just say the cars aren't really priced to sell :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Tends to have some nice stock all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

not quite bangernomics but jesus thats a steal.

I'd say there still is plenty of room for negotiation.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Brasso

I've noticed a few of those W221 Mercs coming up online for under 10k now, even last year I noticed a wine coloured '06 S350 that was priced close to 10k and probably went for less. A lot of car for that money and the 5.5 V8 could provide some entertainment :)

not quite bangernomics but jesus thats a steal.

****e yeah there are rules for this thread, apologies.
    Still, though, very cheap. Only thing that concerns me is the yellow dealer tag on the keys though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

****e yeah there are rules for this thread, apologies.
    Still, though, very cheap. Only thing that concerns me is the yellow dealer tag on the keys though.

more than likely a garage tag. could even have just been left on the second key and the first one got put back on the ring to sell it.

id still want a service history and double check everything electrical, but if you could haggle that to 8k even youd have a serious serious amount of car for years to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Brasso

38293083.jpeg
    V8 E-Class, but it's been on sale for a while and has the old 'on de book' 1.8 tax, wheels aren't what I would put on an E-Class either but again the V8 engine would be v. nice on the motorway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Brasso wrote: »
    38293083.jpeg
    V8 E-Class, but it's been on sale for a while and has the old 'on de book' 1.8 tax, wheels aren't what I would put on an E-Class either but again the V8 engine would be v. nice on the motorway.

So much wrong with that car, needs to be de-scangerised, surely asking too much @ €5,200 and the hot water you might get into keeping it as a 1.8 'on da book'. Still though I so much want it!

On a side note with the way things are I'd be pretty apprenhesive about advertising a larger engined car as one being a smaller engined car on the book.

• Advertisement

So much wrong with that car, needs to be de-scangerised, surely asking too much @ €5,200 and the hot water you might get into keeping it as a 1.8 'on da book'. Still though I so much want it!

On a side note with the way things are I'd be pretty apprenhesive about advertising a larger engined car as one being a smaller engined car on the book.

Comes up as a 5.0l on my wheels
    Re: Citroen c6, isn't the tax very high on those (08+) cars . As the highest it can go due to high co2?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement