Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LUXOBARGE (sub5k) of the week/day

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

Adverts seems like the worst way to sell a car these days :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Bigus

commited wrote: »
    Adverts seems like the worst way to sell a car these days :(

And the worst way to try and buy one .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

A friend spotted my last one a few days ago in Dublin, its been 18 months since I saw it last, was delighted!

e38_zpsk2cljzbo.jpg~original

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

A friend spotted my last one a few days ago in Dublin, its been 18 months since I saw it last, was delighted!

The new owner looks to be keeping her well, it's disappointing when you see your old car and it looks like they have not washed it since you sold it to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭Old diesel

How are these things reliability wise? My old man has an S-type petrol which has been great but I've heard iffy things about the 2.7 diesel..

Like you was under the impression the 2.7 was a bit iffy.

I think I read something about the camshaft - specifically how its mounted in place - is a bit suspect.

Also - I went on a Jag forum (not a member - but many forums you can browse without needing to log in) to see if I could find nice cars to drool over.

And I recall reading about 2.7s with a DPF having raising oil levels like DPF equipped Mazdas have a reputation for doing.

not sure how common that issue is on the Jags however

Generally - they can be hit and miss from what I can see - kind of looked into the 2.7 XF diesel - and was very hard to get a concrete viewpoint on the 2.7 diesel in the XF - the main consensus is that the 3.0 diesel is better all round. Unfortunately afaik it was only ever the 2.7 diesel that was used in the X350 XJ featured here.

What capacity is the 3.0 petrol I wonder - is it a 30xx cc situation - hence 1800 euros - or is it 29xx cc and hence in the next level down.

If its the latter scenario - a 3.0 petrol seems a better bet - was browsing through a Jag mag last week in a newsagents - and the 3.0 XJ petrol had a feature about it specifically - general viewpoint in the article was that it was perfectly well up to the job - 0 to 60 7.8 secs - due to the Jag been aluminium - hence car is lighter.

Unfortunately I never thought to see what the actual capacity was :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

2004 730d for 4300

40494477.jpeg

You could probably convince yourself its sensible coz of the diesel, like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,993 ✭✭✭griffin100

Thanks for that Old Diesel, useful info.

Jag I posted seems to have gone up by €2k so no longer fit for this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

In it's day this woulda been a serious barge, still is.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/ford-granada-2-8i-ghia/9202928

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Love that early 80s light green metallic. Looks great on Mercs of that age too. Liked the Granada when it was new although have to admit my favourite in this class was the Opel Senator 3.0 CD :)

Can't see that car being worth anywhere near €1700 down south though. Needs €720 VRT and then needs to be NCT tested (will probably fail) and as the seller says it needs work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Very cool barge even now, looks great.

I love light minty green colours on cars, id love it on an ST205. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

unkel wrote: »

Can't see that car being worth anywhere near €1700 down south though. Needs €720 VRT and then needs to be NCT tested (will probably fail) and as the seller says it needs work

Over 30 years so VRT should be only €200.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Love that early 80s light green metallic. Looks great on Mercs of that age too. Liked the Granada when it was new although have to admit my favourite in this class was the Opel Senator 3.0 CD :)

It's over 30, €250 to clear it

My bad lads, indeed only €200 VRT!

Still a bit of a risk for that car. Who knows what it needs to pass the NCT test. I'd rather buy a tested car or a car exempt from testing tbh...

My bad lads, indeed only €200 VRT!

Still a bit of a risk for that car. Who knows what it needs to pass the NCT test. I'd rather buy a tested car or a car exempt from testing tbh...

Yeah you'd be taking a bit of a risk but if I was in the market I'd have a look at that one. Nice spec, classic tax etc etc would make a lovely daily smoker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Yeah you'd be taking a bit of a risk but if I was in the market I'd have a look at that one. Nice spec, classic tax etc etc would make a lovely daily smoker

That's it exactly.

I'm a bit tempted lately to sell the Jeep and pick up something like this as a daily.

• Advertisement

Big Nasty wrote: »
    That's it exactly.

I'm a bit tempted lately to sell the Jeep and pick up something like this as a daily.

That sounds like a solid idea man. A Granada or similar would be well capable of it too, unlike the more older/ unrefined stuff which I have concluded aren't, realistically

The more I look at that Granada the more I like it

griffin100 wrote: »
    Thanks for that Old Diesel, useful info.

Jag I posted seems to have gone up by €2k so no longer fit for this thread.

Probably should qualify it by saying its 2nd hand info from the internet - sadly ive never had direct experience of one of these.

Based on memory too from about a year and a half ago.

Usual difficulty with the internet - is that you hear about all those that blow up/go wrong.

Probably a fair few 2.7s flying around that haven't given issues.

Id still go petrol on these though.

less hassle and risk - on something that's already a complex car that presents a risk factor with all the gizmos and air suspension.

But if you want one - you might as well go for it - I don't mean THAT particular example - I mean the X350 XJ in general.

You don't exactly buy one of these cars with an eye on being completely sensible. You accept theres risk involved - and you do your best to minimise it as best one can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭zurbfoundation

i had a granada like that in Australia (was a ford falcon XD) in chocolate brown - late 70's - 4.1 l - it was a fantastic yoke - drove it the whole way around the country with not even a puncture - sold it on for double what i paid for it (which was only 300 dollars)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,993 ✭✭✭griffin100

Old diesel wrote: »
    Probably should qualify it by saying its 2nd hand info from the internet - sadly ive never had direct experience of one of these.

Based on memory too from about a year and a half ago.

Usual difficulty with the internet - is that you hear about all those that blow up/go wrong.

Probably a fair few 2.7s flying around that haven't given issues.

Id still go petrol on these though.

less hassle and risk - on something that's already a complex car that presents a risk factor with all the gizmos and air suspension.

But if you want one - you might as well go for it - I don't mean THAT particular example - I mean the X350 XJ in general.

You don't exactly buy one of these cars with an eye on being completely sensible. You accept theres risk involved - and you do your best to minimise it as best one can.

I've always wanted one of these but it's a big risk as I do over 30k miles a year and like you say lots can go wrong. At the same time you only live once and it'd be much nicer place to spend all that time than say an S80 which is my 'sensible' choice. When the time comes to make a decision I'll start a new thread.

griffin100 wrote: »
    I've always wanted one of these but it's a big risk as I do over 30k miles a year and like you say lots can go wrong. At the same time you only live once and it'd be much nicer place to spend all that time than say an S80 which is my 'sensible' choice. When the time comes to make a decision I'll start a new thread.

Not sure how it would fit with budgets etc - but the post 07 S80 is a fine looking bus - they look nice inside too imo.

Never been in one though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭neasyerac

Hardly a luxobarge :p

Out of NCT too

Also best check if you can get / afford insurance before buying a car like this...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭bidiots

Old diesel wrote: »
    Not sure how it would fit with budgets etc - but the post 07 S80 is a fine looking bus - they look nice inside too imo.

Never been in one though

I can't think of many nicer places to be than inside an S80, its the most comfortable thing I have ever driven tbh....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭NewApproach

Dad had a new shape 3.2 petrol S80 SE Lux from 2007 - 2011 or so. Some bus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

How are these things reliability wise? My old man has an S-type petrol which has been great but I've heard iffy things about the 2.7 diesel..

looks very wide the gap between the bonnet and the wing, maybe its just the angle though

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/lexus/ls430/used-2001-lexus-ls430-4-3-v8-auto-dublin-fpa-128814217655364650
    Lexus LS430, FSH, 170k, NCT to 05/16 - €1350

These are looking very tempting at the moment, I reckon they're a great compromise with LPG.

€1750 with NCT till Nov 15.
    Six months tax is €1003, or two lots of €511. Worth it for the experience of having something like this under your arse for a few months.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mercedes-s-500/9170029?offset=18

40412445.jpeg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭ofcork

Full years tax more expensive than the car,lovely motor though.

I'm completely torn at the moment - W220/LS430 luxobarge or Golf GTI - weirdest car choice ever :/

I'm completely torn at the moment - W220/LS430 luxobarge or Golf GTI - weirdest car choice ever :/

Luxobarge. You'll never be able to get them cheaper or be able to run them for less money.

Even if you picked up the S-Class two posts above for €1600, taxed and drove it for 6 months and had to sell it at at a loss at the end if it fails an NCT you'll still remember it 20 years from now.

GTi's will always be relatively affordable to drive, so get the Luxo while you can.

• Advertisement

Red Kev wrote: »
    Luxobarge. You'll never be able to get them cheaper or be able to run them for less money.

Even if you picked up the S-Class two posts above for €1600, taxed and drove it for 6 months and had to sell it at at a loss at the end if it fails an NCT you'll still remember it 20 years from now.

GTi's will always be relatively affordable to drive, so get the Luxo while you can.
    Some test drives will solve the issue :)

There's more to it than test drives! Read Red Kev's post again and think about it for a while. Large engined petrol luxobarges are cheaper in Ireland than anywhere else in the world. They are cheaper now than they have ever been (or ever will be). In a few years time there won't be many of them around, most mentioned in this thread will have been scrapped by then. The painful reality of such waste is enough for many a separate thread, but that aside...

I'm lucky enough to have pulled the trigger at some point to move from nearly new Japanese cars to old cheap V8 luxobarges and as Red Kev said, I sure will never forget them, or regret buying and owning them :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

ofcork wrote: »
    Full years tax more expensive than the car,lovely motor though.

That's why I love the price of such cars in this country, bargains.

There's more to it than test drives! Read Red Kev's post again and think about it for a while. Large engined petrol luxobarges are cheaper in Ireland than anywhere else in the world. They are cheaper now than they have ever been (or ever will be). In a few years time there won't be many of them around, most mentioned in this thread will have been scrapped by then. The painful reality of such waste is enough for many a separate thread, but that aside...

I'm lucky enough to have pulled the trigger at some point to move from nearly new Japanese cars to old cheap V8 luxobarges and as Red Kev said, I sure will never forget them, or regret buying and owning them :cool:

Thanks for the above and share the views, I've spent a good chunk of my life driving large cars and have always prefered them. I've never owned anything too new as depreciation is a massive waste of money and Japanese hatchbacks don't do it for me :) The Saab is the first daily driver that I've owned had with less than a 3.0 engine since 2006 :)

The complication now is that we've moved to one car (on the road anyway :pac: ) and I fear an S-class might be a bit too large as the e39 was a struggle at times for the Mrs to negotiate in car parks etc. Plus I've never had a hot hatch, sort of did the whole thing in reverse :pac:

So you haven't owned a proper V8 luxobarge then? Really, go for it. I've owned a Saab and several 5-series BMW myself, but they aren't a patch on the luxury of a full size flagship!

Parking isn't too difficult with the full front and rear sensors that come with pretty much all of the ones mentioned in this thread these days...

Nope I haven't, I've owned a V8 but it never made it on the road in my ownership! I've had plenty of big 6's though, petrol & diesel, and love the e39 as it has always been a great compromise between comfort and driving enjoyment. I don't think that time is up for getting a bargain v8 in this country and to be honest I don't know if I'm ready to give up my bit of back road fun that I've always been used to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

I'd be the same, I can see why people like barges and I wouldn't one on the side if I was loaded but I care too much about grabbing a small car by the scruff of the neck around a few bends.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-7-series-nct-passed-today/9357821?offset=13
    41368193.jpeg

Early 7 series with new test on the better side of €3k. What could possibly go wrong etc etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-7-series-nct-passed-today/9357821?offset=13
    41368193.jpeg

Early 7 series with new test on the better side of €3k. What could possibly go wrong etc etc

Really, anything could make it a crippling purchase. But you know you want to.

One day i will buy a luxo when i have the money and patience for whatever can go wrong

• Advertisement

The seller of that 745i claims the VRT rebate is €2400, VRT calculator says €1000.

Nice car but it hardly inspires confidence.

The seller of that 745i claims the VRT rebate is €2400, VRT calculator says €1000.

Nice car but it hardly inspires confidence.

And knock €500 of that as well :mad:

why do they calculate an amount and then tell you they take €500 off?

I believe that is their "admin fee"

Sorry, should have said the rebate is €1500 minus the €500 admin leaving €1000. Either way it's nowhere near the €2400 mentioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭surpy

41368193.jpeg

Bonnetl looks like it isn't sitting right on that

Question. Why does everyone call cars buses?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

Sorry, should have said the rebate is €1500 minus the €500 admin leaving €1000. Either way it's nowhere near the €2400 mentioned.

I'm almost tempted to buy this, export it to Poland, convert it to LHD and sell for 6-7k.

3k for car
    1k for shipping
    850e for taxes
    1100e for conversion

Gives total of 5950 minus the 1k tax rebate. So 1k profit either way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Sobanek wrote: »
    I'm almost tempted to buy this, export it to Poland, convert it to LHD and sell for 6-7k.

3k for car
    1k for shipping
    850e for taxes
    1100e for conversion

Gives total of 5950 minus the 1k tax rebate. So 1k profit either way.

Jaysus that's some amount of work for a max potential payout of €1k..... I can't see the LHD conversion being easy either!

Not worth it at all! If the payout was going to be €3-€4k then I'd consider!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

166man wrote: »
    Jaysus that's some amount of work for a max potential payout of €1k..... I can't see the LHD conversion being easy either!

Not worth it at all! If the payout was going to be €3-€4k then I'd consider!

Those are approximate values. These go for around 30k PLN with 140k miles on the clock (€7,500) and the conversion is a 7 day process. It's the workshop's problem, not mine :P

Shipping could be cheaper I suppose but that's what it would cost to drive it there.
    And I suppose the car could be bought for €2,700 or even €2,500.

The most optimistic calculations are

Car: €2,500
    Shipping: €1k
    Taxes: €850
    LHD Conversion: €1,100
    VRT Rebate: -€1k

Giving you a total of €4,500. If you can sell it for €7,500, you're 3k ahead, all for a week's work.

There is one 735i I know of that's going for 2k sincr it has no NCT, but with its spec, it could fetch even 9k. This is boggo spec, not very popular on the continent as people aim for high spec cars in this class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,825 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Arent they changing the law in poland to allow the reg of rhd cars?

I don't think cars are required to be LHD in Poland any more?

Edit: bear1 beat me to it :D

Sobanek wrote: »
    Those are approximate values. These go for around 30k PLN with 140k miles on the clock (€7,500) and the conversion is a 7 day process. It's the workshop's problem, not mine :P

Shipping could be cheaper I suppose but that's what it would cost to drive it there.
    And I suppose the car could be bought for €2,700 or even €2,500.

The most optimistic calculations are

Car: €2,500
    Shipping: €1k
    Taxes: €850
    LHD Conversion: €1,100
    VRT Rebate: -€1k

Giving you a total of €4,500. If you can sell it for €7,500, you're 3k ahead, all for a week's work.

There is one 735i I know of that's going for 2k sincr it has no NCT, but with its spec, it could fetch even 9k. This is boggo spec, not very popular on the continent as people aim for high spec cars in this class.

Sounds plausible. You would want to ensure that whoever does the conversion has done it before and gives a fixed price as I imagine that is where your potential nightmares would arise. BMW's are a fiendishly technical car. You would also need to scale to 3 or 4 cars to start bringing the shipping expense down to a manageable amount. Makes customs work easier too. You would probably need to reduce your selling price, as I imagine a converted car will be more difficult to shift than an original LHD. Make sure you factor for that so there are no surprises.

But, yeah, I think you might have something there, but you would really need to be sure of the local polish market - otherwise you would be just speculating. And that is risky!!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement