Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LUXOBARGE (sub5k) of the week/day

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭MarkN

unkel wrote: »
    Can't agree. The ad is straight up, car was taxed until a few weeks ago and has a long NCT. I'd trust an ad like that over one with fancy pics made in fancy places.

Go have a look Mark, My gut tells me that car is good.

Found another one here that is possibly an all round better buy, although double the price.

That said... I did have a look at a 2004 325ci M-Sport today that I'm hoping to pick up later in the week, find it very hard to leave the BMW stable.

Never say never though...

http://cars.donedeal.ie/view/9765117
    2004 Jaguar XJ6//SALE//SWAP//BARGAIN//

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

MarkN wrote: »
    Found another one here that is possibly an all round better buy, although double the price.

Without an NCT? Risky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

No V8 engine either :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

MarkN wrote: »

That said... I did have a look at a 2004 325ci M-Sport today that I'm hoping to pick up later in the week, find it very hard to leave the BMW stable.

Never say never though...

http://cars.donedeal.ie/view/9765117
    2004 Jaguar XJ6//SALE//SWAP//BARGAIN//

That is literally the opposite of an all round best buy compared to the other..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

Sweet car for the money. Eyes wide open though. Has been out of NCT for 2 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,825 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Still cant get over the logic that the tax on a 5 litre v8 is the same as a 3 litre diesel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

bear1 wrote: »
    Still cant get over the logic that the tax on a 5 litre v8 is the same as a 3 litre diesel

It's not, there's €312 difference.

Still that CL500 is stonking value, I will own one soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

dodgy add too. 089 number, going on 'holydays', and MERCEDES as the name. Wonder how many ads they have up if they need people to say the make of car when they answer the phone.

You'd wonder too why it hasn't been nct'd, was it to do with dodging tax or is there something wrong that was too expensive to put right for a test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

dodgy add too. 089 number, going on 'holydays', and MERCEDES as the name. Wonder how many ads they have up if they need people to say the make of car when they answer the phone.

You'd wonder too why it hasn't been nct'd, was it to do with dodging tax or is there something wrong that was too expensive to put right for a test

if you google his number you will find links to
    01 ford focus
    01 opel agila
    Audi A8

Not an indicator of a "problem". However it's probable that this is not his personal car....
    the NCT thing would defo put me off...

I can't see his A8 for sale but I can see he kept relisting the anglia at different prices.

Seems he sold the cl500 for 5,200 before http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/cl-500-mercedes-benz/9883213

Maybe he got no interest so he hid the 260k kms and lowered the price.

But going from pictures in his little yard with the other cars for sale, to the 'nice' pictures beside hedges in a residential area is a bit misleading if that's not his house. Could be he's genuinely going on holy-days or he wants rid of a problem asap.

Even though his second ad says too many extras to list, when he went ham on it the first time trying to list them all he didn't actually list any more, maybe he doesn't have a clue what spec the car has?

No change of ownership in the last 3 months though. The whole thing is a bit odd, out of nowhere within a month of eachother this guy lists multiple cars, none of which seem to be his. All the pictures are in wildly different places.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭astraj

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

astraj wrote: »

great car, pity its not the large petrol but thats just me. NCT just expired, on something like that id insist on that being done first.

Maybe it's a typo. It's actually tested till the start of November ('15)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,468 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

astraj wrote: »

Those wheel to me scream -
    A8 is now into knacker category. Imo would look so much better with something more standard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

mickdw wrote: »
    Those wheel to me scream -
    A8 is now into knacker category. Imo would look so much better with something more standard.

The wheels alone are hardly overly offensive but I agree with you the car would certaibly look better with the wheels as intended by Audi.

What would worry me more than the wheels is a rattly 3.0 Tdi lump in what is intended to be a premium luxury saloon...

finger print start though, who would've thought that was ever an option

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

The wheels are just too modern for the car. And not nice at that.

But I wouldn't discount the car because of them. It's got unusually high spec : electric rear seats (very rare) sunroof, comfort front seats & rear air con controls.

And along with the fingerprint start, there must be other items of interest.

20" Final edition alloys and a remap and you'd have a great bus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

DuffleBag wrote: »

Down to 2,350 now I'd nearly buy it at that price it's for nothing. .

finger print start though, who would've thought that was ever an option

My €100 Chinese phone has finger print start too. Meh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

My €100 Chinese phone has finger print start too. Meh.

Your chinese phone wasnt made 11 year ago and by audi.

Also if some forks out for finger print start on an A8 i can assure you they forked out for a lot more.

Fair points!

Finger print start is still totally naff though :p

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,152 ✭✭✭✭beertons

A8 is now into knacker category

Something I never thought I'd see

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

Fair points!

That is very true. I have yet to see any proper implementation of fingerprint texhnology that make it worthwhile.

Truckermal wrote: »
    Down to 2,350 now I'd nearly buy it at that price it's for nothing. .

3,450 now

Pricing is all over the shop. Doesn't help his sale tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Brasso

Frynge wrote: »
    Also if some forks out for finger print start on an A8 i can assure you they forked out for a lot more.

Yeah that's what I always think when I see a car specced with a night vision camera, it's so useless that you assume whoever got just didn't want to see too many blanked out buttons on the dash.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Brasso

http://cars.donedeal.ie/view/9936566
    '03 facelift S350 LWB for €3k. Ad must be older than it seems or something because it says NCT until this month in the details, but in the description it says until February.

Frynge wrote: »
    That is very true. I have yet to see any proper implementation of fingerprint texhnology that make it worthwhile.

What's next? Iris scanner? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Hachiko

any luxo barge definitely can't be a diesel. The whole point of a barge is pottering around in a car totally superlative to most others on the road and being in one that is so refined you don't even know the engine is running. With a diesel there is no mistake you are in the devil's fuel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Hmmm had it for €5200 before and sold it....

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/cl-500-mercedes-benz/9883213

Has a few cars on donedeal

• Advertisement

Hachiko wrote: »
    any luxo barge definitely can't be a diesel. The whole point of a barge is pottering around in a car totally superlative to most others on the road and being in one that is so refined you don't even know the engine is running. With a diesel there is no mistake you are in the devil's fuel.

I'm the last one on here to defend diesel cars but, with respect, that statement is absurd. Some relatively modern 6 pot diesels (but old enough to make it into this thread), in particular from Audi and BMW are pretty refined.

I dont know about that, I have seen and heard quite a few high end diesels in England (not talking 1.9TDi rep mobiles),...and they were loud (from rumbling around streets to hearing them in parking lots several feet away- (that's not to say they don't drive well though). But maybe that's because my own car is so quiet.

Aye if you're into quiet, you can't beat petrol. Nothing is smoother or more refined than an inline 6 or a V12. I presume you have one of those? My personal favourite is the V8 petrol though. A bit of rough in a refined world ;)

But about the diesels. Stick your head under the bonnet of a revving 535d. Not as smooth as the engines above, but smoother than 95% of cars on the road (including pretty much all 4 cylinder petrols)

beertons wrote: »
    Something I never thought I'd see

Same here I thought hard about one before I bought the Lexus but most of them are molested unless you buy very fresh one..

Fair points!

ahh telling lads down the pub about it would be good craic. would impress a few id imagine.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/view/9518933

Japanese quality it was up for 7K so 5k should buy it I'd love it!!!

All the power you could need but lacking in the feel department.

Bargain that. What lexus u got?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

A mate picked up a 2004 S-type today, a really pale green, almost sky blue on cream leather. 3.0l V6 for €2,200, he's delighted!

EDIT: This colour:

• Advertisement

A mate picked up a 2004 S-type today, a really pale green, almost sky blue on cream leather. 3.0l V6 for €2,200, he's delighted!

EDIT: This colour:

is that the actual car ? the only thing that would annoy me is over here the v6 is great but in V8 merica land id be looking for a v8 xj

All the power you could need but lacking in the feel department.
    Be Jaysus how much feeling would you like???:pac:

Bargain that. What lexus u got?

I have a 05 GS 300.

is that the actual car ? the only thing that would annoy me is over here the v6 is great but in V8 merica land id be looking for a v8 xj

Nope, sorry, just showing the colour. He bought it in Dublin. Has the slightly stuffier wheels too, but looks good. The 4.2 V8 in the R version S-Type would be something to behold!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

Sleepy wrote: »

It amazes how people always go for the complicated fix first, instead of investigating an obvious fault (battery showing steady 11v)

Most modern ecu's ( including that jags) wont tolerate a base voltage much lower than 12.3v

Be Jaysus how much feeling would you like???:pac:

I have a 05 GS 300.

I think they have no idea what the car is tbh., that 450h is an absolute bus, albeit with milage on the high side.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

I think they have no idea what the car is tbh., that 450h is an absolute bus, albeit with milage on the high side.

They're very good cars for a specific amount of money. I'll agree on that.

Are they joyful, full of soul cars? No. But so isn't a W221 Merc or an E65 BMW.

for the asking price its a bargain, the milage is slightly worrying but its a Lexus and they can handle high miles with ease. I had my eyes on a LS460 SEL here in England (out of curiosity more than anything) from a private sale as it was going ridiculously cheap (£8k ish). It is sold now, the milage was well over 150k but for people in the know are knowledgeable that they can easily cope with stellar miles. Anyway, that series BMW 7 series was riddled with gremlins was it not? Barges from Lexus are legendary like the LS400.

I considered an 08 model a few years back. I decided against due to the very isolated drive and also interior styling. The power is amazing and seemlessly goes from all electric to petrol engine etc. An amazing bit of kit for sure and returned high 20s mpg for me over weekend mixed driving but I was sampling all its power at all times. I think that is a good figure given the performance. Still I was happy to sit into my own car after and that says everything really.

I agree on the interiors, years behind brands of the same era. But surprisingly powerful.

well it has a 3.5L V6 and a hybrid, it is not going to be a slouch

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement