Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LUXOBARGE (sub5k) of the week/day

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

jharr100 wrote: »
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/view/9900346

Is a Phaeton a luxobarge or a big Passat?
    Looks good value to me..

would I buy one new when i could have something with a nicer badge - no
    would I buy one on the cheap now - hell yeah, id rather the w12 myself but the interior of these is soo very plush, its literally a comfy couch on 4 wheels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

It looks like a Passat, but it's actually a hand-built Bentley. So yes it's a luxobarge alright :cool:

High on my list of cars to own, but that one is the least desirable of them all. Most people would want a diesel. Personally I'd want a petrol, but if I'm paying maximum tax, I'd want the 5l V8 or the W12 if my budget was higher and I had bigger balls

That car on donedeal might only be FWD, I thought all of them were 4WD until I did a quick google. How can you tell, if at all, from the ad / pics?

unkel wrote: »
    That car on donedeal might only be FWD, I thought all of them were 4WD until I did a quick google. How can you tell, if at all, from the ad / pics?

you'd need the VIN id imagine, it would kill me to find out that one was a fwd , but knowing Ireland it probably is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Hachiko

http://cars.donedeal.ie/view/9900346

Looks good value to me..

Phaeton is nothing like a big Passat, its a true luxobarge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

That's about €15,000 landed here with the exchange rate, VRT and transport. Nice car alright but that's top range W221 territory or a very good Roller or Bentley.

I guess we all realise that, Red Kev. Still not a bad thing to compare very cheap cars for sale over here with near concours condition, very high spec cars in the UK that could still be landed here for less than the price of a new small Hyundai!

MAJJ wrote: »
    Just wow and 290GBP to tax in NI!

VRT into R. O. I would be cruel :(

nothing like 290gbp, try £505, still better than Ireland tho.

• Advertisement

These barges are grand till they go wrong, you need a large pair to go buy one. Any serious parts or maintenance will break you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,492 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Hachiko wrote: »
    nothing like 290gbp, try £505, still better than Ireland tho.

It's pre Feb 2006 so it does not rank for the higher rates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,492 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Interesting choice of postcode. That's the area in which I have either worked, lived or had my car washed for the last 20 years.

Marcusm wrote: »

its top band in England.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

Marcusm wrote: »

I thought the change was March 2001 :confused:

Edit: March 2001 was the new tax bands, but after march 2006 its co2 based.

its top band in England.

according to this its 290 quid.

after march 2001, that Barge has well over 255 Co2.! good luck getting cheap tax for it., its a friggin v12.

A Up to 100 £0 Not available Not available Not available Not available
    B 101-110 £20 £20 £21 Not available Not available
    C 111-120 £30 £30 £31.50 Not available Not available
    D 121-130 £110 £110 £115.50 £60.50 £57.75
    E 131-140 £130 £130 £136.50 £71.50 £68.25
    F 141-150 £145 £145 £152.25 £79.75 £76.13
    G 151-165 £180 £180 £189 £99 £94.50
    H 166-175 £205 £205 £215.25 £112.75 £107.63
    I 176-185 £225 £225 £236.25 £123.75 £118.13
    J 186-200 £265 £265 £278.25 £145.75 £139.13
    K* 201-225 £290 £290 £304.50 £159.50 £152.25
    L 226-255 £490 £490 £514.50 £269.50 £257.25
    M Over 255 £505 £505 £530.25 £277.75 £265.13

according to this its 260 quid.

thats b/s, I work here and know how much high tax is as mine is bad enough on bank K @ £490 p/a

2004 Phaeton >

2004PetrolSaloonAutomatic76000 miles
    ANOTHER LIKE THIS.UNREPEATABLE OFFER, £9,990
    Running costs
    Urban mpg 13.3 mpg CO2 emissions 374 g/km
    Extra Urban mpg 26.9 mpg Annual Tax £505
    Average mpg 19.5 mpg

thats b/s, I work here and know how much high tax is as mine is bad enough on bank K @ £490 p/a

VCA online calculator is showing different figures than their table. thats the confusion.

But this note explains it:
    * Band K includes cars that have a CO2 figure over 225g/km but were registered before 23 March 2006 ( Band K is 290)

the DVLA site says -

Those cars registered after March 1st 2001 fall into the VED band structure that goes from Band A (no road tax applies) to Band M (first year VED rate of £1,100).

M = £505

Be surprised if that car could be taxed for £290.

• Advertisement

the DVLA site says -

Those cars registered after March 1st 2001 fall into the VED band structure that goes from Band A (no road tax applies) to Band M (first year VED rate of £1,100).

M = £505

Be surprised if that car could be taxed for £290.

They also say
    * Band K includes cars that have a CO2 figure over 225g/km but were registered before 23 March 2006

interesting, I never checked up that asterix *, bit of a sneaky loophole there to be exploited.

£505 a year is still well fookin reasonable coming from the €1809 for 90s eurobarges we list in this thread.

true but most people in England will balk at such tax rates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭ofcork

I remember looking at an SL65 AMG on one of the cannonballs and the tax around the 500 mark!

yeah well SL65 or a Bugatti, the upper end of tax is £505 AFAIK.

unless there are more loop holes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

£505 a year is still well fookin reasonable coming from the €1809 for 90s eurobarges we list in this thread.

At todays exchange rate that is still only around 710 euro, :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,843 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Utter piss take this country is when it comes to motor tax. Costs less to tax a w12 vw in the UK than it does to tax a 2.2 diesel accord.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,863 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Utter piss take this country is when it comes to motor tax. Costs less to tax a w12 vw in the UK than it does to tax a 2.2 diesel accord.

total disgrace! but I am delighted that you can now buy luxobarges or even 5 series, E class etc and pay f**k all in motor tax, even on the petrols...

• Advertisement

bear1 wrote: »

that 'loophole' that applies to that v12 barge is exceptional, I was not even aware of that. Not many people really want v12s that old but certainly its a bit enticing for people who do want to purchase one knowing tax is that low. Most newer cars will be paying the guts of £500 for a large cc car based on co2 rates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

W

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,902 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

not that I don't love reading about the UK's tax rates but can there be more luxobarges? :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Brasso

not that I don't love reading about the UK's tax rates but can there be more luxobarges? :D:D

How 'bout a 750il:
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/view/9907270

Last NCT tested possibly as long as 2.5 years ago

No thanks!

Does the seller honestly think he can sell it for anywhere near that without test?

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Brasso

Last NCT tested possibly as long as 2.5 years ago

No thanks!

Does the seller honestly think he can sell it for anywhere near that without test?

Ah, I was suspicious when I didn't see NCT listed. I seen dealer though so thought it would be OK, maybe he'll sell with a new NCT.

• Advertisement

'02 CL 5l V8 NCT end of April '16

44191201.jpeg

NCT is genuine

Linky

Could be yours for a touch over €3k

That car with a few options ticked was probably about €160k new...

I would buy that tbh, incredible bargain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Like any luxobarge the engine is the least of your worries. Box, suspension, multitude of sensors, airbags, etc. often make a car with a good body and engine practically an economic write off.

its an interesting beast for sure, I am not looking to change my car any time soon.......but you never know :$

With a car like a CL500 a detailed service record is a must, I am pretty reassured its a fantastic car but only if it has been looked after. 5k for the one I posted looks like robbery, if it is a good example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,544 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

its an interesting beast for sure, I am not looking to change my car any time soon.......but you never know :$

With a car like a CL500 a detailed service record is a must, I am pretty reassured its a fantastic car but only if it has been looked after. 5k for the one I posted looks like robbery, if it is a good example.

I don't think there is such a thing as a troublefree cl of that era.
    As far as I'm aware the facelift with the newer rear lights like you linked is more reliable but random regular bills of 2k to 3k is par for the course I believe.

5k for the one I posted looks like robbery, if it is a good example.

Nah, that's probably as good a deal as you'd get in the UK

Cars like these are cheaper in Ireland than anywhere else in the world. Most superb condition cars have already made it (back) from here to the UK at this stage, but I'd say there is still plenty of pretty nice (but nowhere near perfect) cars to be had here for very little money

mickdw wrote: »
    I don't think there is such a thing as a troublefree cl of that era.
    As far as I'm aware the facelift with the newer rear lights like you linked is more reliable but random regular bills of 2k to 3k is par for the course I believe.

that would be a big worry, (naturally). If I thought I could run these as reliably as I could do with a 5 litre ISF i would be tempted. Clearly the age and miles is a problem. I think the newer ones I linked are more trouble free and a health check in a Merc dealer would be money well spent before a potential purchase. It certainly looks like a beast of a car.

from a usa forum

You want 2005 or 2006. They are the same cars and have all the bugs worked out. I had a 20k mile 2000 when new and it had problem after problem. Thanks for the MBZ warranty!!!! I also had a 2004 CL 500 and it was a night mare. The 04 seems to be the worst offender with the first MOST system. The 03 might be a good option but the 00-02 were not very attractive compared to the later versions. As for miles. Your asking for a heap of trouble!!!!!! The cars are so expensive to fix. I spent 15k within the first six months of owning my 2004. Got rid of it ASAP. The 2006 is a dream but is a 600 and hasn't given me a minutes trouble. Everything works and haven had any glitches. It was had a CPO inspection. You should ask the seller if he wouldn't mind if you took it to the dealer and had them put in on the rack and check things out plus put it on the STAR system to check out the electronics. Unless you can get an extended warranty I wouldn't touch one. That is why they are so very inexpensive to buy used. As for the CLK they are junk cars. Everything is hard plastic and cheap. If you can afford to buy a 2005-2006 you will get a much better life expectancy out of the car. Remember the suspension is the worst offender of problems. Make sure you get an exclusionary policy instead of some cheap warranty. Make sure EVERYTHING will be covered. Only trim items will not be. I have found that the trim breaks a lot as well. So, unless you are willing to spend money and can afford to do so DO NOT BUY a high miles MBZ esp before 2005. Best of luck. Your best bet is to lease a 2012 C 250. No worries there. I just bought my mother one and she is happier than a pig in slop and it is loaded to the nuts.

mickdw wrote: »
    random regular bills of 2k to 3k is par for the course I believe.

Bills for what? Something pretty bad must have happened if a decent indy would have to charge you 3k to fix it. As Big Nasty said on a 3k car if something like the autobox goes, the car is a write-off. That's worst case scenario though.

If you buy a car like this, with a recent NCT, and have it thoroughly checked out by an indy who knows what to look for, you could drive a car like this for years and spend only hundreds per year in maintenance, not thousands.

Again, as I said, unless you are very unlucky

thats what I would expect too, its the height of Mercedes Engineering you are talking about. Once the car has had its regular 9k services it should keep going ...forever.

Occasional mishaps like suspenson is par for the course maybe given its age but by and large i would expect a well maintained example to be relatively trouble tree. Tyres/Petrol/discs/pads etc are a given.

I wouldn't put the height of Mercedes Engineering on such a pedestal for an '02 car :p

Not their best era :p

Servicing really is fairly irrelevant. N/A large lazy V8 engines are naturally strong and if it runs well now, it will unlikely give you trouble in future (again as Big Nasty said - he has owned several old V8 petrol cars in the past and so have I)

But I'm the first to admit the buyer of a car like this has to be realistic. You'd need either a few grand of spare cash to have the car repaired or be prepared to write it off (and buy another one) if a big issue comes your way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Only about 60k miles in old money on it, I'm tempted.

What kind of issues would be on the Merc, suspension, electrics or is it all good?

No, it's far from all good. But rather than read up on horror stories / listen to pub talk, you would have to check out each car on its own merits (getting a good indy to do this for you is essential imho)

And a bit of common sense. Check all electrics. If something doesn't work, decide if you want it to work or not and if you do want it to work, make sure you have a realistic expectation about the bill. Could be eye watering. Or to put it differently - buying a car like this is not really smart if you're a perfectionist.

I wouldn't put the height of Mercedes Engineering on such a pedestal for an '02 car :p

Not their best era :p

Servicing really is fairly irrelevant. N/A large lazy V8 engines are naturally strong and if it runs well now, it will unlikely give you trouble in future (again as Big Nasty said - he has owned several old V8 petrol cars in the past and so have I)

But I'm the first to admit the buyer of a car like this has to be realistic. You'd need either a few grand of spare cash to have the car repaired or be prepared to write it off (and buy another one) if a big issue comes your way.

I was on about the 05 one, I would be looking for probably a 08+ ideally. If one propped up at a dealer anywhere near me i would be tempted to take it for a drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭sblythe

I sold my 2001 Cl500 with NCT until 2016 for €2500 in April. There wasn't much wrong with it, and everything worked but it hadn't a shred of history past 2013. The guy buying it knew, and he was willing to put a few quid into it because apart from that it was an immaculate car with good service history from before then, with low enough mileage and good spec etc.

They are absolutely immense though. I doubt there is another car on the roads from a mainstream brand that can turn as many heads. And, I know this is a bit cliche, but driving and owning one really does make you feel like a million quid. If you ever think about owning one, do it

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement