Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LUXOBARGE (sub5k) of the week/day

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

IMO the E39 is the ultimate barge but that don't do it for me.

E65 (?) Wheels and after market xenons do nothing for it. Lovely colour though and would look great on m-pars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Big Nasty wrote: »
    IMO the E398 is the ultimate barge

FYP ya dope :p

unkel wrote: »
    FYP ya dope :p

Autocorrect - surprised it didn't say E60 these days. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

Big Nasty wrote: »
    IMO the E39 is the ultimate barge but that don't do it for me.

E65 (?) Wheels and after market xenons do nothing for it. Lovely colour though and would look great on m-pars.

nice colour, dont like the alloys either

get it through the nct if you can and 1800 is alright price

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭dbrunson

Designed and written by Krusty the Clown.

lol for sure, selling 50k armoured cars with a Tesco payg

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Brasso

46027550.jpeg
    Mega miles on this '06 CLS 350 for €5k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

What are the chances the wife would notice a cheque for 5k, due in the morning, disappearing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

Not just one, but two lady owners!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Imagine looking at that steering wheel every day, diabolical.

• Advertisement

This is a terrible ad but I haven't seen any of this generation GS for sale before with the 4.3 V8
    48858309.jpeg
    Probably has no NCT or something but the seller does give a full name and has been "done dealing" since 2010 so has used that phone before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Brasso wrote: »
    This is a terrible ad but I haven't seen any of this generation GS for sale before with the 4.3 V8

Probably has no NCT or something but the seller does give a full name and has been "done dealing" since 2010 so has used that phone before.

Looks a good car but with pictures an a brutal ad like that I wouldn't even call about it, never mind view it, will be a waste of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Imagine looking at that steering wheel every day, diabolical.
    The ad states it was upgraded. Upgraded from what? a solid pool of vomit?

Looks a good car but with pictures an a brutal ad like that I wouldn't even call about it, never mind view it, will be a waste of time.

Yeah it would be a nice car, shame it doesn't seem to be a good example of one. Interesting to see a V8 GS though, there is a nice one from the generation before that on sale but it's a dealer asking €6k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Yeah it would be a nice car, shame it doesn't seem to be a good example of one. Interesting to see a V8 GS though, there is a nice one from the generation before that on sale but it's a dealer asking €6k.

Be careful as the pics are different, one car is the executive model with Nav and a timber wheel where the other pic has neither plus the wheels are from a GS 450H. .

Also the mirrors are fitted with turn signals which indicates a modern car..

Truckermal wrote: »
    Be careful as the pics are different, one car is the executive model with Nav and a timber wheel where the other pic has neither plus the wheels are from a GS 450H. .

Also the mirrors are fitted with turn signals which indicates a modern car..

Good spot, that first interior shot seems to be taken from this ad: http://m.carsireland.ie/detail-images.php?ad_id=1207181
    And wing mirror indicator lights would be from a 2007 on car which would be a GS460 if it had a V8?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Hachiko

without even looking at the ad, from the photo it looks like a gs450h, so it would have indicators on the mirrors and indeed have the 3.5v6. I don't want one as it has a CVT transmission like most hybrids. Them cars are brutal fast btw, they will blow away most other cars at lights unless they cost a lot of money.

Good spot, that first interior shot seems to be taken from this ad: http://m.carsireland.ie/detail-images.php?ad_id=1207181
    And wing mirror indicator lights would be from a 2007 on car which would be a GS460 if it had a V8?

Its a v6 on the 450h, similar to the powerplant in the is350.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Have you taken a spin in a 450h yet? I don't think the cvt is that huge a drawback.

I never done so, somehow not drawn towards it very much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭bidiots

Hachiko wrote: »
    I never done so, somehow not drawn towards it very much.

BB963C3.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Have you taken a spin in a 450h yet? I don't think the cvt is that huge a drawback.

I got one for a weekend off lexus. Serious bit of kit. It will beat most cars to any speed, never mind away from the lights. It just keeps going and going with the cvt holding engine at the sweet spot. Its quite freaky but not a bad setup. Just forget about the fake manual option.
    I think it would take the likes of an m5 to beat it in a straight line. Not so much of a drivers car though.
    I'm actually looking at the new model gs450h. Like hens teeth it seems and are still very very expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 203 ✭✭wilford

I have mine almost a year now and I love it,its also the only auto I've driven where you would be hard pressed to tell when the gears change even when accellerating hard,even kick down is really smooth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭tw0nk

I have a 06 GS450h, absolutely love it. The looks are standing the test of time except the back which I think is looking a bit dated. Amazing how little goes wrong with those cars considering the amount of gadgets and electronics they come with. Also amazing that the spec still isnt matched by a lot of cars these days.

tw0nk wrote: »
    I have a 06 GS450h, absolutely love it. The looks are standing the test of time except the back which I think is looking a bit dated. Amazing how little goes wrong with those cars considering the amount of gadgets and electronics they come with. Also amazing that the spec still isnt matched by a lot of cars these days.

I am not taken by the looks either but no denying its a fine specimen, the specification is pretty identical to the top spec is250, like you said hard to get even a modern car with all that stuff on board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

I am not taken by the looks either but no denying its a fine specimen, the specification is pretty identical to the top spec is250, like you said hard to get even a modern car with all that stuff on board.

You can't get a modern car with most of those features? You seriously need to get over this whole thinking so highly of Lexus models thing you got going on.

A good friends dad has a Kia Optima, it has leather, satnav, heated electric and cooled seats, dual zone climate, nice alloys, leather steering wheel etc etc.

Come down from that high mountain you're living on and realize that plenty of new cars have all this stuff your decade old Toyota has.

yep, things are moving on fast. Its fairly freaky seeing stuff like avensis having automatic emergency braking as standard and fairly standard cars having auto parking etc

166man wrote: »
    You can't get a modern car with most of those features? You seriously need to get over this whole thinking so highly of Lexus models thing you got going on.

A good friends dad has a Kia Optima, it has leather, satnav, heated electric and cooled seats, dual zone climate, nice alloys, leather steering wheel etc etc.

Come down from that high mountain you're living on and realize that plenty of new cars have all this stuff your decade old Toyota has.

ffs, put a sock in it, you wont lie down will you.

My car and the gs450h discussed by previous poster are almost 10 years old with all that stuff, most of this..

Heated and vented seats
    Climate Control with auto recirculate
    Sat Nav with Park Assist and front/rear sensors
    14 speaker Mark Levinson 300W Audio
    Auto dimming rear view mirrors
    Auto Dimming/dipping side mirror
    Auto Wipers
    HID lights, adaptive w/wash jets
    Keyless entry/Start
    Rear Electric blind
    Cruise Control
    *forgot the 12 way electric seats (driver/passenger) with memory setting for both.

and comparing a Kia to a Lexus.... right,

The Lexus is aimed a bit more higher than Kia and when the Gen 2 is250 was out (and the gs450h) the specification was indeed very good, compared to its competitors and even now many competitor cars do not have this stuff standard.

Then you have the reliability & interior build quality with an almost silent drive due to the insulation, you could be forgiven for thinking its an electric car.

The irony is Lexus bashers probably have never driven one.

The biggest accolade i can give the Lexus is that it's very hard to choose another car to move onto.

Fine looking car them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

My car and the gs450h discussed by previous poster are almost 10 years old with all that stuff, most of this..

Heated and vented seats
    Auto Wipers
    Keyless entry/Start
    Rear Electric blind
    Cruise Control

The Lexus is aimed a bit more higher than Kia and when the Gen 2 is250 was out (and the gs450h) the specification was indeed very good, compared to its competitors and even now many competitor cars do not have this stuff standard.

Then you have the reliability & interior build quality with an almost silent drive due to the insulation, you could be forgiven for thinking its an electric car.

The biggest accolade i can give the Lexus is that it's very hard to choose another car to move onto.

That would swing it for me every time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,825 ✭✭✭✭bear1

I test drove a 01 320 s class petrol a year ago and that had heated and cooled front and rear seats. Massage front and rear seats, tv with dvd player, xenons, satnav, cruise, parking sensors, memory seats front and rear, Double glazed windows, electric blind and a fridge in the boot.
    The things the Lexus had 10 years ago the s class had 5 years before that.
    And the merc was for sale for 2k... Wonder which id pick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭Soarer

bear1 wrote: »
    I test drove a 01 320 s class petrol a year ago and that had heated and cooled front and rear seats. Massage front and rear seats, tv with dvd player, xenons, satnav, cruise, parking sensors, memory seats front and rear, Double glazed windows, electric blind and a fridge in the boot.

Well if you pick a 01 Merc over a 06 Lexus Hybrid, you're certifiable.

I get your point though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

That Merc will cost you a hell of a lot more over time than the Lexus.

S class, hello.

if you are comparing an is250 to a S class they clearly did a good job in Japan designing it.

pick the S class, it will leave you a broken and poor man, you better hope the seats are good as you may end up living in it.!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

That Merc will cost you a hell of a lot more over time than the Lexus.

I wouldn't be so sure a hybrid Lexus would be a financially painless ownership experience. Sure in this thread alone in the past few months several of these with broken / dodgy batteries have come up . Outside of warranty, which means the car is an economic write-off if that happens

I wouldn't be so sure a hybrid Lexus would be a financially painless ownership experience. Sure in this thread alone in the past few months several of these with broken / dodgy batteries have come up . Outside of warranty, which means the car is an economic write-off if that happens

Maybe not so much anymore?

Battery fix.

My point about the S class was that these options and much were available on cars prior to the Lexus.
    Never drove a 450h so really can't say what they are like but by looking at videos on youtube it looks like a serious bit of kit.
    Would I choose a 01 S class over the Lexus? Depends really but to avoid all the bull**** Lexus talk at moment I'd probably pick the Merc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,191 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Bring back wind up windows, at least you couldn't hack into my old Pug 206.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

Soarer wrote: »
    Maybe not so much anymore?

Battery fix.
    I read that whole page, including comments at the end. I realise that the guy is fairly handy with the DIY and said basically that if you can't get the panels off without much fuss, you shouldn't be undertaking a job like that.

He's right and unfortunately, most mechanics will shy away from replacing a damaged cell in that battery pack - so even if you were to pay a guy to do all the ripping and teardown - and replace the cell - they will charge handsomely. Remember - if it goes faulty - who is to blame?

Point being - unless you can do it all yourself (and even as detailed as that description is, it's still not all the detail you will need) - you will be paying ~ €1K for a battery repair imo.

The mileage was around 100,000 miles and the car is 8 years old.
    I would consider that kind of repair (€1k at best) too much, like what turns me off Diesels with that kind of mileage - large repair bills.

Yes, the owner did a good job and got the part for cheap, but he had both the tools and the know how.
    Two ingredients I am missing :(.

Jaysus, he's in Cork like.

Offer him €500 for his 2.5 hours work and get him to do it for ya.

• Advertisement

Personally, I'm very much surprised that that repair is actually possible without any special tools. I thought the cells would be fixed together with a one time fixing, not the nice bolted connections that are there.
    It's very much a diy prospect having seen what is involved.
    I'd certainly be going with the voltage protecting gloves. The guy says that with the breaker pulled there is little danger but I wouldn't be risking that. There is an awful lot of power in that pack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

I must meet up with him some day as that was that was me who commented.

Heated and vented seats
    Auto Wipers
    Keyless entry/Start
    Rear Electric blind
    Cruise Control
    *forgot the 12 way electric seats (driver/passenger) with memory setting for both.

I damn well won't lie down my friend, you should know that at this stage.

The only thing on that list that the Kia doesn't have is the Mark Loser sound system! It has every single other option that you have listed there.

A little education would go a long way for you with regards to what cars have these days as standard.

The Kia is diesel so it's noisier alright, but its torquey, good on fuel and pretty quiet at speed. It also doesn't have a notchy gearbox like the Lexus IS!

The Germans don't offer this stuff as standard because they know people will pay for it. This is a business and they know that people will pay for the options. Lexus obviously have to fill their cars with standard kit to make people buy them which is telling.

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭bidiots

Talk about two bald men fighting over a comb!
    less chat more barges!

bidiots wrote: »
    Talk about two bald men fighting over a comb!
    less chat more barges!

Yeah you're right, just tired of the upper class attitude because I drive a cheap Lexus.

I even mentioned in another thread that I want an E38 again!

wouldn't call 45euro an economic write off, you clearly have a thing against Lexus. (like most other people here it seems)

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic/104412-2007-gs450h-hybrid-battery-cell-replacement-for-50/

• Advertisement

I damn well won't lie down my friend, you should know that at this stage.

The only thing on that list that the Kia doesn't have is the Mark Loser sound system! It has every single other option that you have listed there.

A little education would go a long way for you with regards to what cars have these days as standard.

The Kia is diesel so it's noisier alright, but its torquey, good on fuel and pretty quiet at speed. It also doesn't have a notchy gearbox like the Lexus IS!

The Germans don't offer this stuff as standard because they know people will pay for it. This is a business and they know that people will pay for the options. Lexus obviously have to fill their cars with standard kit to make people buy them which is telling.

:)

if you prefer a diesel kia to a lexus is250 you are not right in the head.

now excuse me I need to go into my cheap 10 year old toyota to get some milk.

My point about the S class was that these options and much were available on cars prior to the Lexus.
    Never drove a 450h so really can't say what they are like but by looking at videos on youtube it looks like a serious bit of kit.
    Would I choose a 01 S class over the Lexus? Depends really but to avoid all the bull**** Lexus talk at moment I'd probably pick the Merc.

you remind me of a bloke at work, shoving your nose into everything, in your case everything that has Lexus in the sentence, clearly the last day has been hard on you with a few posts about lexus cars.

its clear you hate Lexus, fantastic. I am over joyed , now could you by any chance move on and post up some pics of BMWs or something, like they have been discussed about 70% of the time on here.

you remind me of a bloke at work, shoving your nose into everything, in your case everything that has Lexus in the sentence, clearly the last day has been hard on you with a few posts about lexus cars.

its clear you hate Lexus, fantastic. I am over joyed , now could you by any chance move on and post up some pics of BMWs or something, like they have been discussed about 70% of the time on here.

You're some lad, you remind me of someone too but I cant say it cause I'm not stooping to your level.
    As you know perfectly well I don't own a bmw in fact I'm carless at the moment but we do have a fiat though...
    I don't hate Lexus at all just tired of you.
    Now be a good lad, make yourself a cup of tae and drop it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

wouldn't call 45euro an economic write off, you clearly have a thing against Lexus. (like most other people here it seems)

Not sure if Lexus would choose you as a brand ambassador, making friends and influencing people not really your forte.

You're some lad, you remind me of someone too but I cant say it cause I'm not stooping to your level.
    As you know perfectly well I don't own a bmw in fact I'm carless at the moment but we do have a fiat though...
    I don't hate Lexus at all just tired of you.
    Now be a good lad, make yourself a cup of tae and drop it.

whatever, and you are tired of me because, what did i do over the last day or two to upset you? Driving a Lexus clearly has people thinking I am some snobbish up class cnut, its a luxury well appointed Toyota, Thats all. Seems you have a problem with that.

I know far more about Lexus cars than you do so you are the one contradicting yourself and saying crap.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement