Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LUXOBARGE (sub5k) of the week/day

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Hachiko

Brian Scan wrote: »
    Not sure if Lexus would choose you as a brand ambassador, making friends and influencing people not really your forte.

speaking the truth goes a long way to making friends. Unkel has always back stabbed Lexus, he was at it ages about about prehistoric auto boxes in the ISF, which is strange as most people who have driven the ISF (me included) are amazed by it.

But arguing or coming out on top of a poster who has been on here so much is pointless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,843 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Hachiko wrote: »
    whatever, and you are tired of me because, what did i do over the last day or two to upset you? Driving a Lexus clearly has people thinking I am some snobbish up class cnut, its a luxury well appointed Toyota, Thats all. Seems you have a problem with that.

I know far more about Lexus cars than you do so you are the one contradicting yourself and saying crap.

:) that's good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

What a fookin cock

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

Soarer wrote: »
    Maybe not so much anymore?

Battery fix.

That's interesting, the main thing putting me off considering one of the hybrid Lexus was the battery issue as I didn't think it was DIYable. Now it's only the pesky tax!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Hachiko

Big Nasty wrote: »
    What a fookin cock

should you not be putting up pictures of the other angel eye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

Hachiko wrote: »
    should you not be putting up pictures of the other angel eye.

That was actually quite funny.

Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

Can we all ignore those types of posts. Maybe it will go away then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

bidiots wrote: »
    Talk about two bald men fighting over a comb!
    less chat more barges!

108543-004-6C1BD35C.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

Lads I've a ten year old lexus that is bawling its eyes out after reading this.

Have some humanity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

daRobot wrote: »
    Lads I've a ten year old lexus that is bawling its eyes out after reading this.

Have some humanity.

Me too this is my favourite part of the Internet well it was..:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

Hachiko wrote:
    But arguing or coming out on top of a poster who has been on here so much is pointless.

Well for **** sake please stop doing it. I don't know if you are doing it on purpose or not, but you are ruining one of my favorite treads. The universe will not rotate around you or your is 250, regardless of your antagonistic post count. Honestly please don't respond this. Just stop please,..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I'm closing this thread for review

Edit - Reopened thread, actions to come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭bidiots

biko wrote: »
    actions to come.
    rm3oLmh.gif

Couldn't resist....

Please dont ban me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/99-jaguar-xj8-sport/10710587

48154020.jpeg

hopefully just a vacuum issue or lambda sensor but worth checking out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

I love it, back to dreaming instead of arguing. Thanks Eric Cartman!

48154020.jpeg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Always had a thing for this shape Audi. Very classy

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/8738420
    Audi A8 For Sale!!!

This one maybe has potential. I personally really like the wheels on it too.

Good to be back to Luxobarges again, is this one over budget?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

48154020.jpeg

I've been looking at this all week and thinking what's the worst that can happen :pac:

I've been looking at this all week and thinking what's the worst that can happen :pac:

Its almost certainly an intake problem. Ive looked it up and everyone who has had the issue has been saying cracked air intake pipe, dodgy MAF or manifold seals.

Haggle to 650 and it would likely still be worth that in parts , you wouldnt really lose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,183 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Its almost certainly an intake problem. Ive looked it up and everyone who has had the issue has been saying cracked air intake pipe, dodgy MAF or manifold seals.

Haggle to 650 and it would likely still be worth that in parts , you wouldnt really lose

It could also be a failing stick coil, but they cost about fifty bucks and are simple to change. Those X308s have the ZF transmission as well, which are fairly solid. Overall, I'd say well worth a funt.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭polan

166man wrote: »

Audi A8 For Sale!!!

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/audi-a8-3-7-v8-quattro-nct-high-spec/10865983

Cheaper and with a proper engine :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

polan wrote: »

Id rather have the 4.2 engine. As far as I remember, the 3.7 is a front wheel drive car, not a Quattro as stated in this advert. Makes a huge difference having 4wd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Its cheap no doubt but that mileage surely is a bit of a fantasy.

mickdw wrote: »
    Its cheap no doubt but that mileage surely is a bit of a fantasy.

Possibly , but lets say it had 150,000 miles on it, the engine would still have lots of life left and it would still be a bargain. Just needs to be checked out I suppose

It would make more sense for him to get a diagnostics done and show on the advert what is actually causing the issue.

Possibly , but lets say it had 150,000 miles on it, the engine would still have lots of life left and it would still be a bargain. Just needs to be checked out I suppose

Its super cheap and I'm not saying that this is an issue at all in this price range but the drivers seat and centre arm rest are in bits. Looks like mega mileage to me or else jag make poor interiors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭DoctorStrange

Its super cheap and I'm not saying that this is an issue at all in this price range but the drivers seat and centre arm rest are in bits. Looks like mega mileage to me or else jag make poor interiors.

Looks like driver seat angled way back so you can't see the bolster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭polan

Id rather have the 4.2 engine. As far as I remember, the 3.7 is a front wheel drive car, not a Quattro as stated in this advert. Makes a huge difference having 4wd.

All D3 A8s are Quattro ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭zizou_

polan wrote: »
    All D3 A8s are Quattro ;)

3.0 petrol was FWD afaik.

e.g. http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2004-audi-a8-3-0-v6-multitronic/10816963

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,003 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Audi A8 For Sale!!!

Nice (I prefer the big grille of the newer one though! :))... I've been half-seriously looking at A8s again of late because I just don't think I'll find a newer A6 with an equivalent spec to my own :(

The biggest thing I've noticed is how rare the older ones are becoming. Thank you "cheap tax" and insurance loadings on "old" cars :(

I'm not a fan even though I loved them years ago the rear seems to have dated a lot plus they are making strong enough money for a barge.

Funnily enough though that pop up screen is only coming in the A4 from now..:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I like them. Much better looking car than the E65. I actually prefer the split grill too.

Last test ran out August 2012.
    On a car like that, if it was garaged etc it wouldn't particularly worry me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

It would worry me. Why does the seller claim it has full service history while it has been off the road for years? If it wasn't off the road, why was it not tested for well over 4 years?

Nice car, but wouldn't even be near cheap enough for me to give him a call

The maintenance on his gaff leaves a lot to be desired. Not a great sign of someone keeping their stuff in top condition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

unkel wrote: »
    It would worry me. Why does the seller claim it has full service history while it has been off the road for years? If it wasn't off the road, why was it not tested for well over 4 years?

Nice car, but wouldn't even be near cheap enough for me to give him a call

The maintenance on his gaff leaves a lot to be desired. Not a great sign of someone keeping their stuff in top condition.

It's nearly €2k a year to tax it. I'd wager money was a little tighter in 2012 as it was for nearly everyone, and it was taken off the road. Maybe it wasnt, who knows? If it's been off the road it's not going to have much service history is it? ;)

A quick drive of it will tell a lot. My gut feeling is it's potentially a good car. €5k for a supercharged one of those is cheap too.

Your comment about his house (assuming you know it's his house) is completely ridiculous.

Last test ran out August 2012.
    On a car like that, if it was garaged etc it wouldn't particularly worry me.
    It's nearly €2k a year to tax it. I'd wager money was a little tighter in 2012 as it was for nearly everyone, and it was taken off the road. Maybe it wasnt, who knows? If it's been off the road it's not going to have much service history is it? ;)

A quick drive of it will tell a lot. My gut feeling is it's potentially a good car. €5k for a supercharged one of those is cheap too.

At the very least the seller should take it to the NCT, test it and put the list of faults up. It might cost €500 to fix, might cost €4000.

For that reason alone I'd be suspicious the seller is hiding something and I'd move on. There isn't even a mention that the car's NCT ran out in 2012.

If I was looking for a car in that category I'd be going for this: Yes, it's a 6 cylinder, but it has an NCT till June of next year and they are easier and cheaper to fix than the Jag. At €6500 it's more expensive, but probably cheaper in the long run.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mercedes-benz-sl-class-sl320-nct-05-2016/8298752?offset=20
    40236587.jpeg

It's nearly €2k a year to tax it. I'd wager money was a little tighter in 2012 as it was for nearly everyone, and it was taken off the road. Maybe it wasnt, who knows?

Possibly. Even likely!
    Your comment about his house (assuming you know it's his house) is completely ridiculous.

Care to explain why? I'm the first to admit it's not proof of any sort. It's a sign, that's all. See a car in front of a meticulously maintained house and chances are the car is well maintained too. And the other way around. Trust me, I've been there myself, for the same reason you suggest up there ^^^

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

Possibly. Even likely!

Care to explain why? I'm the first to admit it's not proof of any sort. It's a sign, that's all. See a car in front of a meticulously maintained house and chances are the car is well maintained too. And the other way around. Trust me, I've been there myself, for the same reason you suggest up there ^^^

Exactly the reason most of my friends park their cars outside some nice fancy gaff when taking photos to sell their cars. Its common sense. When I see a prestigious car parked in a rough housing estate I wouldn't even entertain it, same goes for the bad spelling in adverts. If it sounds like a tramp , it probably is and is probably best avoided.

*I guess Im not allowed that word for some reason. I guess it must mean something different in Ireland than in Scotland.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/view/10924386

A nice GS 450H for tiny money..

Truckermal wrote: »

That looks class and for the price of a diesel focus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

Wow, that's tempting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,183 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Now that there is a lot of warship. :cool:

I'd put money on that having a battery problem. Circa 5k repair at dealer but can be fixed much cheaper than that.

Could be a nice little business for someone in this country. Buy hybrid Lexus with battery issue. Fix, guarantee the battery for 3 years and sell for two grand more than you paid.

I'd buy a car from a reputable company who did that!

I'd put money on that having a battery problem. Circa 5k repair at dealer but can be fixed much cheaper than that.

£800 in the UK, takes about a week.

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic/99506-lexus-gs450h-hybridtraction-battery/

There was a post on here a few weeks ago about a guy in Cork who fixed his for a part he paid €45 for. Took him 4 hours, but he can get it down to 2.5 hours. He has a load of photos up showing each step.
    Edit: Here's the link http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic/104412-2007-gs450h-hybrid-battery-cell-replacement-for-50/?p=933241

There's a few for sale here, 2007-08 models, all going for €8000 more. Might be worth buying, take it to the UK on a trailer if it's not fully driveable, fly back to pick it up and sell it on for a few grand profit.

Red Kev wrote: »
    £800 in the UK, takes about a week.

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic/99506-lexus-gs450h-hybridtraction-battery/

There was a post on here a few weeks ago about a guy in Cork who fixed his for a part he paid €45 for. Took him 4 hours, but he can get it down to 2.5 hours. He has a load of photos up showing each step.
    Edit: Here's the link http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic/104412-2007-gs450h-hybrid-battery-cell-replacement-for-50/?p=933241

There's a few for sale here, 2007-08 models, all going for €8000 more. Might be worth buying, take it to the UK on a trailer if it's not fully driveable, fly back to pick it up and sell it on for a few grand profit.

I'm well aware of the guy who did the fix and it's very diyable. I would tackle it. There was nothing special to it.
    That said, replacing a cell might only be a very temporary fix. The one next door could go rather quickly after so imo that kind of fix is best done if offloading immediately.

You cannot really compare 08 models to this as the tax is 750 v versus 1809 on the 07.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭millington

Could be a nice little business for someone in this country. Buy hybrid Lexus with battery issue. Fix, guarantee the battery for 3 years and sell for two grand more than you paid.

I'd buy a car from a reputable company who did that!

Maybe as a sideline business it could work, as you are one of a very select few that would buy a GS450H, it's the sort of car that will sit around for a long time.

I don't see the advantage of buying a hybrid when you're paying full fat tax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,960 ✭✭✭Soarer

Big Nasty wrote: »
    I don't see the advantage of buying a hybrid when you're paying full fat tax.

Better mpg and a lot more power.

• Advertisement

Soarer wrote: »
    Better mpg and a lot more power.

I was under the impression that the electro motors powered the front wheels but it looks like I was wrong. That's a pity. All that additional torque available from idle just going through the rear wheels just like that from the petrol engine

And the car has 296bhp. Which is not all that much. I thought I would want a car like this but I'll have to go with Big Nasty here. Why get a V6 with hybrid setup like this while for the same money you could get a more powerful V8 engine (for the same tax too)

From '08 they make sense of course with the low CO2 (on paper that is). The low MPG is probably no where near as low as what it says on paper. Tests of the Prius showed it used near twice as much fuel as it was supposed too

Not Lexus / Toyota's fault at all, they just go with the flow of the standardised testing like everybody else. Porsche Panamera 2100kg, 416bhp and just 71g/km. Yeah right :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement