Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LUXOBARGE (sub5k) of the week/day

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

A same year same value same motor tax BMW 550i or Mercedes E500 have 70-90 more BHP. And have V8 engines. Even an Audi A6 4.2 (bog standard, not talking S6 or RS6 here) has 40 more BHP and 4WD. I guess I'd have any of those over the Lexus GS hybrid for those reasons alone (and obviously less to go wrong. I really wouldn't want to ship my car to the UK for a fix)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

The GS 450 produces 340bhp also the Bimmer or Mercedes-Benz will cost more to maintain. .

Truckermal wrote: »
    The GS 450 produces 340bhp

My bad! I must have only looked at the figure for the petrol engine. Still about the same as the Audi, but well less than BMW or Mercedes. Which don't have systems that you have to go to the UK for when they break :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

The GS 450 produces 340bhp also the Bimmer or Mercedes-Benz will cost more to maintain. .

They really are stand out powerful.
    I will say it again, if bmw produced this package of power and fuel efficiency with a 3.5L 6 cylinder, it would be regarded as the second coming of Christ.
    The electric power is far from wasted going through the rear wheels.
    I've not driven anything quicker in a straight line anyway. I'm not talking quick to 60 mph either. It's quicker than most cars right across the speed range

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

Big Nasty wrote: »
    I don't see the advantage of buying a hybrid when you're paying full fat tax.

think about how smug you'll feel when you tell people you drive a hybrid. :pac:

• Advertisement

mickdw wrote: »
    They really are stand out powerful.
    I will say it again, if bmw produced this package of power and fuel efficiency with a 3.5L 6 cylinder, it would be regarded as the second coming of Christ.
    The electric power is far from wasted going through the rear wheels.
    I've not driven anything quicker in a straight line anyway. I'm not talking quick to 60 mph either. It's quicker than most cars right across the speed range

Aye the GS 300 on its own is savage all thought Unkel has a point if I wanted to pay 1809 tax I'd be buying a LS 460 which I hope to have next year or if I win the lotto a 600H..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

kupus wrote: »
    think about how smug you'll feel when you tell people you drive a hybrid. :pac:

Eh no, you're grand thanks! :D

Aye the GS 300 on its own is savage all thought Unkel has a point if I wanted to pay 1809 tax I'd be buying a LS 460 which I hope to have next year or if I win the lotto a 600H..

+1

When I was posting I figured I had to compare like with like. But already I wasn't thinking of ever buying any of those GS / A6 / 5-series / E-class myself.

You might as well go flagship all the way if you're paying max tax :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Lexus GS450h does 32 mpg on average. Source is one that I think is relatively accurate. From what I've heard it struggles to get 24 mpg in town but will do 40 mpg on a motorway.

Acceleration of the GS vs 335i is here.

Red Kev wrote: »
    I've heard it struggles to get 24 mpg in town but will do 40 mpg on a motorway.

I've had many (very) large heavy cars, several with V8, several with I6 and several with I4 all petrol engines

All of them did around 20mpg around town and all of them did about 40mpg on a motorway.

It all makes feck all difference, unless you do mega miles on the open road. But then you would't buy a petrol anyway...

• Advertisement

BTW why didn't you compare like with like? A BMW 335i was never a competitor to the Lexus GS450h about 10 years ago. The BMW 550i was. And guess which is quicker, GS450h or BMW 550i?

unkel wrote: »
    BTW why didn't you compare like with like? A BMW 335i was never a competitor to the Lexus GS450h about 10 years ago. The BMW 550i was. And guess which is quicker, GS450h or BMW 550i?

How much does a 550i cost versus a gs450h?
    How much does a 550i cost to fuel compared to a gs450h?
    I don't think they are competitors at all.
    Just looking at acceleration on YouTube. The lexus would appear to be quicker to 200kmh

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Brasso

Well I don't know how accurate it is but zeperfs (which claims to take its info from several car magazines) states a 550i is faster across the whole 0-250 km/h.
    http://www.zeperfs.com/en/duel2015-1533.htm

The GS has a 3.5, the 550 has a 4.8, so technically they're not comparable that way either.

I only put the 335 vs GS 450 was available on youtube so I put that up. I was actually looking for GS 450 acceleration when I came acres that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Anyways...

Range Rover Vogue - €6950
    47564473.jpeg

Lexus LS430 - €2950
    49191897.jpeg

BMW 745Li Individual - €9650 - Cracking spec for once
    49173457.jpeg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,825 ✭✭✭✭bear1

That bmw would be my choice. But 10k?? Is that realistic or way ott?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

bear1 wrote: »
    That bmw would be my choice. But 10k?? Is that realistic or way ott?

It belongs in the dreamers thread imo.

It's 6k dearer than any other 04 granted there mostly diesels but still and it's 2.5k dearer than an 05 750li on car zone.

He'll never get that for it.

How much does a 550i cost to fuel compared to a gs450h?

On a €5k 10 year old luxobanger with a large petrol engine, that really is irrelevant. 22 vs 26mpg at 10k km per year is maybe a couple of hundred euro if that (guessing here)
    How much does a 550i cost versus a gs450h?

There were much, much closer in price than a gs450h and a 335i

Anyway, struggling to find a decent luxobarge on donedeal but this is extremely cheap: V8 BMW 735i, very likely yours for just €2k

48999052.jpeg

Linky

NCT till end of January, so needless to say this car will need to be checked out thoroughly before buying. Nice plates though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

@ Voodoomelon - the lexus would be my pick - best value imo.
    BMW is dreaming a that price.

cadaliac wrote: »
    @ Voodoomelon - the lexus would be my pick - best value imo.

With obscured license plates and probably without any NCT? And with some stock picture of a left hand drive LS? :rolleyes:

I wouldn't even bother picking up the phone to call a seller like that...
    cadaliac wrote: »
    BMW is dreaming a that price.
    It belongs in the dreamers thread imo.

He'll never get that for it.

I'd never spend that money on that car, but you guys might be wrong here. The individual 7-series in top condition command a huge premium in the UK. If the seller isn't getting what he wants for it over here, he'll have to go through the bother of reclaiming VRT and exporting it, but he will get his money that way, no doubt about it.

Or the seller might be patient and wait for a buyer like Voodoomelon :D

• Advertisement

@cadaliac - the :rolleyes: is aimed at the seller of the Lexus, not at you BTW :)

If any of ye win the Lotto I want this. .
    http://m.carzone.ie/used-cars/Lexus/LS600H-L.W.B-PRESIDENT/201014480302786850

Presidential model is fairly rare too and I love lots of buttons. .

Id live in that.

On a €5k 10 year old luxobanger with a large petrol engine, that really is irrelevant. 22 vs 26mpg at 10k km per year is maybe a couple of hundred euro if that (guessing here)

There were much, much closer in price than a gs450h and a 335i

I wouldnt be so sure about that pricing. The gs450h was not so expensive and came with 50 percent vrt rebate for a number of years.
    You are correct that the mpg makes little Difference now but my point is that the 2 cars were for completely different markets when new.
    Your average man in the street like myself can run a gs450h. A bmw 550i is a didn't proposition.

I really don't want to go into a fight with you about what the exact prices of luxo cars were 10 years ago
    Your average man in the street like myself can run a gs450h. A bmw 550i is a didn't proposition.

The great thing is that the average man in the street (like both you and me) can actually buy a brilliant flagship €150k car for a couple of grand 10 years or so later. If I were a Christian, I would say Hallelujah to that :)

With obscured license plates and probably without any NCT? And with some stock picture of a left hand drive LS? :rolleyes:

I wouldn't even bother picking up the phone to call a seller like that...

I'd never spend that money on that car, but you guys might be wrong here. The individual 7-series in top condition command a huge premium in the UK. If the seller isn't getting what he wants for it over here, he'll have to go through the bother of reclaiming VRT and exporting it, but he will get his money that way, no doubt about it.

Or the seller might be patient and wait for a buyer like Voodoomelon :D
    Agreed about the ad - I more than likely would be turned off by it if it were my hard earned. I would just prefer an LS over a 7'er or a RR.

Anyway re: BMW individual; its still a pointed market and whilst the seller might get the right buyer for that car, the market, at that price is very small. In that sense I think he's dreaming - unless they are willing to sit on the car until a BMW purist arrives willing to spend extra.

I never spotted the left hand drive pic for the LS, not a chance i'd ring about it either based on that.

The spec is the only attractive thing about that 745Li. Prefaclift, high mileage and no mention of history are all working against it. If the opposite of those 3 things were true, it would be sold already at that price.

735iL, 07/16, €3500, from a dealer.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-7-series-735-i-long-nct/9559920?offset=1
    42354528.jpeg

730D, 02/17, Tax 05/16. €5900, but has €800 of tax on it. Has a lot of work done with new parts, if the servicing checks out then it may be interesting to someone.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/04-bmw-730d-sport-new-nct-02-17-tax-05-16/10532193?offset=15
    47250057.jpeg

728i, 07/16, €2150. Smaller engine but still nice for the price.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/immaculate-bmw-728/10900578?offset=1
    49073536.jpeg

728i, 04/16 for a grand. Almost too cheap ? Worth a look anyway.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-728i/10753682?offset=3
    48349396.jpeg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

that first one, paid for comfort seats but not heating, or cooling or massage. What a let down on spec.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭zizou_

that first one, paid for comfort seats but not heating, or cooling or massage. What a let down on spec.

It's a nice colour and I thought the spec was ok (sunroof, comfort seats). Looks like it had a bang on the front n/s from the panel gaps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭polan

Also, it was bought for 700 quid last month (I was too late to buy it :()

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

polan wrote: »
    Also, it was bought for 700 quid last month (I was too late to buy it :()

That E65 with nearly a years test was 700 quid a month ago?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭polan

That E65 with nearly a years test was 700 quid a month ago?

I thought Eric was talking about the two E38s, pics didn't work for two E65s then!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

it looks well ****ed, boot doesnt close, tyre is flat, alloys are ****ed.

• Advertisement

Agreed. But the price is right and he's also prepared to negotiate. Could be a bottomless pit though, you'd want to know your Phaetons.

It's a 2k 3.2 Phaeton, it's hardly going to be perfect. I could live with ****ty looking alloys and other crap for that price.
    I'd just give it a good valet and cruise in comfort.
    I'd be curious why he didn't stick it through the nct after May.

It's a 2k 3.2 Phaeton, it's hardly going to be perfect. I could live with ****ty looking alloys and other crap for that price.
    I'd just give it a good valet and cruise in comfort.
    I'd be curious why he didn't stick it through the nct after May.

with that reasoning, thats why your last car was an utter lemon tbf

if you think doing the above is going to make it drive, I reckon you are very much wrong

Agreed. But the price is right and he's also prepared to negotiate. Could be a bottomless pit though, you'd want to know your Phaetons.
    Plus, the absolute no no for me is not washing the car for the photos. That speaks volumes about the owner, and car.

I simply cannot understand this mentality.

with that reasoning, thats why your last car was an utter lemon tbf

if you think doing the above is going to make it drive, I reckon you are very much wrong

So you are comparing a normal family estate diesel Japanese car to a 3.2 VW Phaeton?
    Good god you're crap at this trolling aren't ya.

• Advertisement

no I was implying that your assumption of giving the phaeton a valet would equate to cruising in comfort.

I then insinuated that your poor judgement on the paheton might have been the reason that your last purchase was unsuccessful.

No trolling intended

no I was implying that your assumption of giving the phaeton a valet would equate to cruising in comfort.

I then insinuated that your poor judgement on the paheton might have been the reason that your last purchase was unsuccessful.

No trolling intended

It is not an assumption its more of a thought. It hasnt been tested in 6 months and for a good reason I imagine but at the end of the day its a 2k phaeton which is why I implied that you can't expect a perfect car. Its filthy inside hence why I said to get it valeted.
    You have no idea what my judgements were when I bought the Honda and nor do you know how much of a heartache it was to admit to myself that I had made a huge mistake.
    But at the end of the day there is not one reliable car out there.
    Was my car a lemon? Yes, it was but on the other hand it never left me stranded in the middle of nowhere.

True enough tbh. Didnt mean to sound harsh. Can happen to anybody as you rightly say.

True enough tbh. Didnt mean to sound harsh. Can happen to anybody as you rightly say.

No harm no foul :)

I like Phaetons and would like to own one. That one is a heap of sh1te though and that's coming from me, I'm not too picky at all

Even if you got it nearly free, who would want to own a front wheel drive :rolleyes: flagship gaz guzzler with a sh1tty V6 engine and still have to pay €1809 tax (€511 per quarter)?

Oddly enough I saw on adverts him offering to test it for the asking price.

Oddly enough I saw on adverts him offering to test it for the asking price.

He sounds like an eejit then. Just test it at that point.

He sounds like an eejit then. Just test it at that point.

He is a dealer and like all the worst dealers, they won't put a penny into anything until they sell it.

€750 VRT rebate on the Phaeton. I'd say it was NCT'd, it failed and he wants rid as the repair bill is too high.

€2250 - 750 - haggling = €1300.

If its driveable it may be good for exporting and then for parts. If it could get to the boat in Rosslare and trailer it from Cherbourg it might be interesting to some of the East Europeans.

Red Kev wrote: »
    €750 VRT rebate on the Phaeton. I'd say it was NCT'd, it failed and he wants rid as the repair bill is too high.

€2250 - 750 - haggling = €1300.

If its driveable it may be good for exporting and then for parts. If it could get to the boat in Rosslare and trailer it from Cherbourg it might be interesting to some of the East Europeans.

Ate you excluding the 500e admin fee they take? If no then its 250e.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement