Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LUXOBARGE (sub5k) of the week/day

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

A contender for the most unsaleable car in Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

That Hyundai is also about the same size as an E-Class, so it's no great shakes size wise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,843 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Thread is gonna go downhill if we are classing Hyundai's as luxobrages :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

I don't know - it fits the bill of what a "luxobarge" is surely (unless I'm hopelessly missing something) but yes, I certainly can't really see the point of it here. I don't think anybody will even buy it for the 08 reg, because there is still the issue of the Hyundai badge on the front!

I still find it strangely alluring. If I could afford to buy and run it and it was €2k I would be on my way to Sligo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

I don't know there is something to be said for it. You also have the rarity value. Ok the interior is that bit low rent compared to the germans/jag/volvo/lexus but if you can live with that, lets's face it we've taxed worse.

Then it would take one almighty gulp once a year preferably with a good stiff drink in hand to pay that 1,809 tax bill and block the H word from your conciousness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 702 ✭✭✭landmarkjohn

I don't know - it fits the bill of what a "luxobarge" is surely (unless I'm hopelessly missing something) but yes, I certainly can't really see the point of it here.

Well it is over 3 litre and has more than 4 cylinders so it does tick a couple of boxes. It's interesting to see what the other manufacturers have produced to try and compete with the Germans and Lexus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,421 ✭✭✭ofcork

That looks the exact same as the sonata.

Only use I can see is as a taxi.

Funeral car for Cavan :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I've been struggling to come up with something good to say about that car. But I've found it! It's got 6 weeks tax on it :)

Found another positive thing! If the owner decided to NCT it in 2 weeks time and it passes, it will have nearly 30 months test left! :)

(till then end of June 2018)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

unkel wrote: »
    Found another positive thing! If the owner decided to NCT it in 2 weeks time and it passes, it will have nearly 30 months test left! :)

(till then end of June 2018)

Its not possible to test 6 months early and still get cert to original reg date.

That's what I thought but if you book the car in for the test and select a date this month, you get a warning about voluntary early booking (earlier than 90 days before the due date), with the test only valid for 2 years from date of the test. If you select a date next month, you don't get this warning

Perhaps a bug on the site then?

That's what I thought but if you book the car in for the test and select a date this month, you get a warning about voluntary early booking (earlier than 90 days before the due date), with the test only valid for 2 years from date of the test. If you select a date next month, you don't get this warning

Perhaps a bug on the site then?
    Perhaps a bug. It's certain that there is no 6 month early testing now even for first test. You must be inside 90 days to get cert to reg date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

I'd actually take that car over a W220 or E65.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭Furzy

Big Nasty wrote: »
    I'd actually take that car over a W220 or E65.

.... Why??

..... not being facetious - I'd like to know why you'd prefer it. I'm not prejudiced against Hyundai - I had one of the first S-coupes way back in 1991 and it was probably my favourite car ever, but compared to other Luxobarges this seems cheap and plastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

I don't think it looks bad, but I bet it feels bad. No matter what hyundai want to do , they just don't have the germans experience in wrapping cow around things and putting soft feel high quality plastics in. It seems like a good car, but not a great car. With so many other savage machines going for half nothing in the 1809 tax bracket, id find it very hard to say why I'd buy this over some of the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Brasso

50204332.jpeg
    Nice looking '01 E38 740i with 1 years NCT asking €3,800.

Furzy wrote: »
    .... Why??

..... not being facetious - I'd like to know why you'd prefer it. I'm not prejudiced against Hyundai - I had one of the first S-coupes way back in 1991 and it was probably my favourite car ever, but compared to other Luxobarges this seems cheap and plastic.

Because it's not as fugly.

Brasso wrote: »
    50204332.jpeg
    Nice looking '01 E38 740i with 1 years NCT asking €3,800.

I always find it mad, in the UK when the e38 was on its way out in 2001 they threw loads of spec at it for free (nav, dsp and the comfort seats usually, sometimes a bit more) even a lot of the late 00-01 728i's have a few toys on them. Somehow this just never happened for Ireland , and whether import or not , somebody somehow managed to find an e38 that got the sports wheel, xenons and literally nothing else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Looks in good nick.
    Unless back in the day, these cars sat on forecourts for yonks before they were registered, could be an early 2000 model.

• Advertisement

I heard once that Ireland usually gets the leftovers from the UK market which is why we usually get the crappy spec in cars. Wonder if that's true? But I've heard also that for e.g. Passats here are spec'd better than they are in the UK. Weird huh.

bear1 wrote: »
    I heard once that Ireland usually gets the leftovers from the UK market which is why we usually get the crappy spec in cars. Wonder if that's true? But I've heard also that for e.g. Passats here are spec'd better than they are in the UK. Weird huh.

Irish people don't buy extras or look at the options brochures, dealers have to throw on bits as "standard" so that they're not trying to pedal exec saloons with cloth seats and manual boxes.

I don't think we get the 'crappy' cars, just people don't order the spec. VW tooling up golf's to the hilt for demo models is about all we see of high spec.

Irish people don't buy extras or look at the options brochures, dealers have to throw on bits as "standard" so that they're not trying to pedal exec saloons with cloth seats and manual boxes.

I don't think we get the 'crappy' cars, just people don't order the spec. VW tooling up golf's to the hilt for demo models is about all we see of high spec.

I remember my mother bought in 2005 a brand new Almera and I couldn't believe how basic a spec it was for a 21k car.
    No AC, front only elec windows, 2 airbags I believe etc and it wasn't even the bog standard version. Sp you are partially right also when it comes to the mentality.
    Am I also right in thinking that revenue commisioners here load a premium on cars with a higher spec? or is that just when you are privately importing?
    But.. my parents are ****e when it comes to buying cars :D

bear1 wrote: »
    I remember my mother bought in 2005 a brand new Almera and I couldn't believe how basic a spec it was for a 21k car.
    No AC, front only elec windows, 2 airbags I believe etc and it wasn't even the bog standard version. Sp you are partially right also when it comes to the mentality.
    Am I also right in thinking that revenue commisioners here load a premium on cars with a higher spec? or is that just when you are privately importing?
    But.. my parents are ****e when it comes to buying cars :D

well extras have VRT on them, and performance extras may change the VRT rate on a car too, so in the old days you would have been paying 36% on top of the real cost to le gubberment. vrt is still there, but obviously now we have lower rates for lower emissions cars.

well extras have VRT on them, and performance extras may change the VRT rate on a car too, so in the old days you would have been paying 36% on top of the real cost to le gubberment. vrt is still there, but obviously now we have lower rates for lower emissions cars.
    Exactly and VAT rate is higher for a country with a lower disposable income on average.

Unusual situation now where vw are pushing highline models on pcp with lower interest resulting in very similar costs to lower spec models.
    Should see a flood of nicely specd passat on the road.

Up until a few years ago the average Merc or BMW here had a far higher spec than German ones, so you're wrong there.

FWIW I used to export high end cars from Germany to Africa, trying to get a decent spec on anything up to 2003-5 was seriously difficult.

Red Kev wrote: »
    Up until a few years ago the average Merc or BMW here had a far higher spec than German ones, so you're wrong there.

FWIW I used to export high end cars from Germany to Africa, trying to get a decent spec on anything up to 2003-5 was seriously difficult.

but the brands are thought of differently. In germany many people would buy a 318 with cloth seats just as a family car, like somebody here would buy an avensis. In Ireland having a bmw is a status symbol and its considered an executive car, the reason the spec was higher here is as I said above , Irish people don't like the options brochure, dealers would spec up cars to make them fit the executive image that the badge instilled.

In germany you would have a load of family runarounds with cloth seats in manual, equally you would find one in germany fully kitted with navigation and leather sports seats etc.. that you would never find in Ireland.

but the brands are thought of differently. In germany many people would buy a 318 with cloth seats just as a family car, like somebody here would buy an avensis. In Ireland having a bmw is a status symbol and its considered an executive car, the reason the spec was higher here is as I said above , Irish people don't like the options brochure, dealers would spec up cars to make them fit the executive image that the badge instilled.

In germany you would have a load of family runarounds with cloth seats in manual, equally you would find one in germany fully kitted with navigation and leather sports seats etc.. that you would never find in Ireland.

That's not true, BMW is a premium brand even in Munich, in fact you'll probably find a higher proportion here. My brother has worked for BMW for 5 years in Munich and even with an employee discount most colleagues treat driving a BMW as an unnecessary luxury.

• Advertisement

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/hyundai-grandeur-3-3v6/10921155?sv=true

A 2008 car with NCT well into text year, low miles, leather, xenon, cruise, electric and heated everything and all for around €2500. Theres only one catch...

Spotted today in Dublin..!

DSC_0983_zpsjpuqmo5y.jpg

and a decent taxi it makes. Was the only thing it could become realistically.

and a decent taxi it makes. Was the only thing it could become realistically.

It is a decent taxi. Super cheap yet perfect for the job.

Same car? Original ad is gone.

Hint: it now has taxi badges :pac:

There's probably only one 3.3l petrol '08 Grandeur in the country I would have thought...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

Hint: it now has taxi badges :pac:

There's probably only one 3.3l petrol '08 Grandeur in the country I would have thought...

I imagine the Grandeur Owners Club of Ireland meetings would be rather lonely affairs....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭Furzy

... I don't think so. IIRC the Sligo one had a KE reg and that taxi D reg is showing no change of ownership in last 3m. Surprised it sold so quickly though but buying for use as taxi makes sense.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/jaguar-daimler-4l-v8-auto-n-c-t-1-2017/11162744

Nice Daimler with brand new NCT for under €3k. Probably not to everybody's taste but this is absolutely perfect to my eyes

Beautiful and rare original Irish Daimler.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/jaguar-daimler-4l-v8-auto-n-c-t-1-2017/11162744

Nice Daimler with brand new NCT for under €3k. Probably not to everybody's taste but this is absolutely perfect to my eyes

New NCT would give me a fair bit of confidence, the colour looks a lot better in the flesh than the photo, though it's not something I'm particularly fond of. Nice reg.

One minor issue is that the seller claims 130000 miles, the NCT disc says 152000.

+1

Had the same tranny in my early 90s 530i V8 and while a good transmission back then (5 speed), dunno either how much life would be left in it after it's already done over 150k miles (240k km)

Bit overpriced for what is essentially a bit of a gamble - '17 NCT is nice though...

• Advertisement

The NCT cert also says its a Jaguar so I wonder what the story is there.

If it were my car I would be having them reprint that

Easy mistake as it's just a clone of a Jaguar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 702 ✭✭✭landmarkjohn

Easy mistake as it's just a clone of a Jaguar.

Yes the Daimler moniker is almost more of an upmarket trim level than a make. Easy identifier from Jaguar is the rippled top of front grill and same at rear over number plate.

Yes it's often called a fluted grille. Plus you have the daimler D in the headrests and the tables for the rear seats. Still it's all a nice little upgrade from the jag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

I imagine the Grandeur Owners Club of Ireland meetings would be rather lonely affairs....

Don't worry they'll find a phone box somewhere to have a party. BTW there is no begging board on that taxi ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭TigerTim

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

TigerTim wrote: »

nice motor.... always had a soft spot for the GS... but the CE reg, I just couldnt do it !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

dislike the colour and general shape of these ones. Dont like the front or the passenger rear windows. or the back

its a no for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

dislike the colour and general shape of these ones. Dont like the front or the passenger rear windows. or the back

its a no for me

Agreed on the color but it represents great value to be fair.
    Shape looks dated now alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

In fairness that shape is nearly 20 years old I think they still look great I fact I had decided to buy mullingars one but I found a newer one from another Boardsie. Class car and totally bullet proff I'd buy it in a heart beat..

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement