Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LUXOBARGE (sub5k) of the week/day

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭mullingar

Those GS's are cockroaches. They refuse to die and will survive any nuclear holocaust. Trust me, I had mine 9 years and it cost buttons to maintain.

For a near 20 year old car they aged very well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

whilst I get what you are saying, I dont understand the "its 20 years old therefore it has aged very well"

A car either looks good or doesnt. Imo It doesnt it looks dated and every bit of the 20 years that it is.

I take the points being reliable and very cheap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

robtri wrote: »
    nice motor.... always had a soft spot for the GS... but the CE reg, I just couldnt do it !!

Why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Why?

stupidity really on my part.... it just puts me off.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

robtri wrote: »
    stupidity really on my part.... it just puts me off.....

99% of them are either registered as G, D, CE, or C..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/jaguar-daimler-4l-v8-auto-n-c-t-1-2017/11162744

Daimler V8 with new NCT (previously posted by me a few weeks ago) now reduced to €1950

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭daz16

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Daimler V8 with new NCT (previously posted by me a few weeks ago) now reduced to €1950

Two weeks ago he was looking for 3 grand. Which was overpriced.

Now he's looking for 2 grand which is a bit more realistic given it has a long NCT, but still a bit rich imho

There are very few people out there buying 15+ year old cars that cost the guts of €2k per year to tax. Those few people that do buy them, want them for next to nothing...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

unkel wrote: »
    Two weeks ago he was looking for 3 grand. Which was overpriced.

Now he's looking for 2 grand which is a bit more realistic given it has a long NCT, but still a bit rich imho

There are very few people out there buying 15+ year old cars that cost the guts of €2k per year to tax. Those few people that do buy them, want them for next to nothing...

Everything's a bit rich for you to be fair though. :)

I'm not sure how (assuming haggling)'you could get that for much less than €1500. Prices of these cars have gone up in the last two years from the bottom of the barrel that they were. How much cheaper do you want to buy it?

@€;1750 it seems a fair price given the spec and the NCT which means it's somewhat mechanically sound. I'd love it.

• Advertisement

166man wrote: »
    Everything's a bit rich for you to be fair though. :)

Indeed :D

I'm usually not wrong though, am I? :p

Would love the Daimler myself and I am one of those few people who have forked out max tax for many cars over the years - not at the moment though, but will do it again in future

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/lexus/gs300/used-2007-lexus-gs300-executive-4-westmeath-fpa-201214491527824280

Nice GS and from a dealer so warranty and a discount if buying straight..

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭jonno23

I actually called about that 07 GS earlier last month, as I'm looking for one, but it's being sold on behalf of someone so no warranty :rolleyes:

jonno23 wrote: »
    I actually called about that 07 GS earlier last month, as I'm looking for one, but it's being sold on behalf of someone so no warranty :rolleyes:

Ah I see any movement in price??? Its not the executive model but its a straight looking car though.

There is a few 450h`s for sale if they are of interest..

Truckermal wrote: »
    Ah I see any movement in price??? Its not the executive model but its a straight looking car though.

There is a few 450h`s for sale if they are of interest..

Yeah, it looks straight enough, and those 3l engines appear to handle the miles well. I think he mentioned he could knock five hundred off for a straight sale.

Would love either the 300 or 450h, looking at another 300 this week, hard enough to get a decent model in this shape for luxo barge money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭tw0nk

450h all the way, you will always regret it if you go for 300

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bbari

jonno23 wrote:
    Would love either the 300 or 450h, looking at another 300 this week, hard enough to get a decent model in this shape for luxo barge money.

That 07 GS have €8,250 price tag on the wind screen!

Did you see the black 06 GS on DD? It's in Monaghan.

tw0nk wrote:
    450h all the way, you will always regret it if you go for 300

Why do you prefer 450h over 300? Will 450h be much more expensive to run v 300?

bbari wrote: »
    Why do you prefer 450h over 300? Will 450h be much more expensive to run v 300?

Only difference is tax as the 450H is about 250 more P/A but its more economical I averaged over 35MPG in my 300 this week..

In saying that if I am paying max tax I will have a LS 600 which is my next car.

I drove a 300 first and liked it, its a nice car. Then got into the 450h and it was so much better. From the silent driving electric motor when initially pulling out of car park to the unbelievable power when putting foot down and both electric and 3.5 petrol engage. It has a ridiculous spec for the year of the car and just generally beats the 300 at every step.

At the time I had to scrimp and scrape to get the extra 1.5k together to get the 450h over the 300 but Im so glad I did. I immediately decided I would not buy a 300 after driving the 300.

This is all just my opinion from owning a 450h for 2 years, but I would say to you to drive both 300 and 450h before buying either.

In saying that if I am paying max tax I will have a LS 600 which is my next car.

+1 would LOVE an LS 600, tax on all of the high end pre-08 Lexus are so high, ended up being one of the reasons I sold mine

• Advertisement

Truckermal wrote:
    Only difference is tax as the 450H is about 250 more P/A but its more economical I averaged over 35MPG in my 300 this week..

35 MPG in city or on motorway? I think you have it for a few months, are you liking it?

35 MPG in city or on motorway? I think you have it for a few months, are you liking it?

That was motorway driving mostly but it still does 28/29 on short trips where the engine don't warm up.

I have it over 6 months now and I love it they really are a class car, some don't like the retro look but I love every part of it. Funnily enough the previous owner who is a Boardsie posted pics of it when he purchased it in 2010 I was broke at the time and remember being so jealous so little did I know I would own it one day and its still in prefect condition.

I never drove the 450 but they are seriously quick all right and don't be put of with stories about the hybrid batteries as that's a cheap fix now..

My advise is buy something soon as they are getting scarce..

• Registered Users Posts: 3 swishtrout

swishtrout wrote: »
    my bmw 728i if any one is interested .for sale on adverts in laois . 1800 euro bargain its in very good condition , perfect luxobarge

Now selling for 1200 if interested

That 07 GS have €8,250 price tag on the wind screen!

Did you see the black 06 GS on DD? It's in Monaghan.

There's a big difference between asking prices and realistic selling prices, I think an E8k price tag belongs in the dreamers thread :).

Looks like the one in monaghan has gone.

tw0nk wrote: »
    I drove a 300 first and liked it, its a nice car. Then got into the 450h and it was so much better. From the silent driving electric motor when initially pulling out of car park to the unbelievable power when putting foot down and both electric and 3.5 petrol engage. It has a ridiculous spec for the year of the car and just generally beats the 300 at every step.

At the time I had to scrimp and scrape to get the extra 1.5k together to get the 450h over the 300 but Im so glad I did. I immediately decided I would not buy a 300 after driving the 300.

This is all just my opinion from owning a 450h for 2 years, but I would say to you to drive both 300 and 450h before buying either.

Thanks for that, I'll try and drive both; the 450h are still a little more expensive than the 300, but if the difference is as you mention, might be worth selling one of my kidneys or something...

That was motorway driving mostly but it still does 28/29 on short trips where the engine don't warm up.

I have it over 6 months now and I love it they really are a class car, some don't like the retro look but I love every part of it. Funnily enough the previous owner who is a Boardsie posted pics of it when he purchased it in 2010 I was broke at the time and remember being so jealous so little did I know I would own it one day and its still in prefect condition.

I never drove the 450 but they are seriously quick all right and don't be put of with stories about the hybrid batteries as that's a cheap fix now..

My advise is buy something soon as they are getting scarce..

You have a 300, Trucker Mal? I must say i am really looking forward to getting a GS, i know the looks aren't for everyone but i love em. Not too bothered about mpg as i don't do much mileage, but i think the smooth drive and reliability are fantastic.

You have a 300, Trucker Mal? I must say i am really looking forward to getting a GS, i know the looks aren't for everyone but i love em. Not too bothered about mpg as i don't do much mileage, but i think the smooth drive and reliability are fantastic.

I do surely I wanted one in years they are brilliant and silky smooth but they are reasonably economical for a big cruiser. Even the older model is still a class looking motor I'm on. .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,825 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Hachiko would be creaming his pants if he saw these last two pages.

There's a big difference between asking prices and realistic selling prices, I think an E8k price tag belongs in the dreamers thread :).

Looks like the one in monaghan has gone.

Yeh, just logged in to send you the link and noticed that its gone. Ad might have expired as the same seller had an IS also and thats gone too. It was a Black GS300, 125K KM for €4,700 - €4,900.

bear1 wrote: »
    Hachiko would be creaming his pants if he saw these last two pages.
    I wonder if the sound system in the GS is as good as ML in the IS/ISF :)

• Advertisement

ML sound system is pretty good except for 2 bad points:

1. Can't read mp3's on DVD (can on CD)
    2. Can't stream from phone via BT, just voice for phone calls

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Way over budget, but show me a better looking luxobarge for the same money:

bmw-7-series-S2090488-1.jpg

I remember looking at this car years ago, a very respectable price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Love it dude! There is no better looking barge. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

very clean and spec is ok, pity there isn't more cylinders

Yeh, not even heated seats. If it had more toys and was a V8, i'd probably pick it up. I was moments from pulling the trigger on an Aegean blue 740 before, someone over here snapped it up funnily enough.

Don't need one, but they're going cheap and I know them inside out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Yeh, not even heated seats. If it had more toys and was a V8, i'd probably pick it up. I was moments from pulling the trigger on an Aegean blue 740 before, someone over here snapped it up funnily enough.

Don't need one, but they're going cheap and I know them inside out.

Miss my own E38 regularly too. Selling at the time was the right thing to do though meant I could throw €7k+ at my 166!

Pretty confident I'll own another one at some stage though! May even be this year, tho they command strong money across the Atlantic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mercedes-s500-lwb-nct-01-17-169500-new/10772094

Merc 500 lwb 3, 500 and nct till 2017 and nappa leather

50611017.jpeg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

racso1975 wrote: »

an excellent car, facelift version, fully loaded (even extended leather on the door cards) and the navigation fitted. The wheels are a bit meh but easily changed for something more interesting. The only way that car could be better is if it was black instead of that wine colour, I'm not hating that though. If I was looking for a barge and could get that for 2900 id 100% take it.

Not bad, but that leather looks boggin!

• Advertisement

I would love to own that! Wouldn't be bad for my first Mercedes-Benz :D

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭daz16

I love them, very understated. Wouldn't be interested in a V6 though and particularly not in a FWD one.

NCT out in less than 2 weeks. "will be sold with new NCT" blah blah blah

Why wouldn't he put it through the test first and then try to sell it?

• Moderators Posts: 12,385 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

I love them, very understated. Wouldn't be interested in a V6 though and particularly not in a FWD one.

NCT out in less than 2 weeks. "will be sold with new NCT" blah blah blah

Why wouldn't he put it through the test first and then try to sell it?

Bodywork isnt 100%, bumper needs painting... But my favourite is, "Pictures say everything more.". The pictures say "wash me" to my eyes.

2nd favourite line being "Very rare not"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭mullingar

daz16 wrote: »

Engine management light on too....

LOL worth more like €750 than €4,750

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭blackbox

This LS430 seems to have been on sale for a while

48802413.jpeg

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/lexus-ls-430/10846315

Price looks competitive unless there is something hidden.

Test out 3 months ago (so last tested probably in 2014). The owner should either test it or sell it for a lot less than what he is looking for imho.

The other car he is selling has been for sale even longer and has a test that is now also expired.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

LOL worth more like €750 than €4,750

Are you talking about the Phaeton?

Just that if you are in the market for one you have the choice of that one for 4750 or these two....

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/vw-phaeton-3-0l-tdi/11228980 = 2005 for €12500

or

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/vw-phaeton-diesel-for-sale/10999510 = 2005 for €18500

And thats it across carzone,adverts and donedeal. Interesting difference in pricing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Surely that should set off alarm bells!!! Too good to be true it probably is

pippip wrote: »
    Are you talking about the Phaeton?

They are very rare so it looks like people don't really know what asking price to come up with - there is nothing out there to compare their car to. Those two cars are ridiculously priced though. We have had a few Audi A8, same year, same diesel engine and for most people (not me) the more desirable car asking around the €6k-€8k

Me, I'd want a V8 petrol Phaeton. Maybe in a year or two :)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement