Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LUXOBARGE (sub5k) of the week/day

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

unkel wrote: »
    They are very rare so it looks like people don't really know what asking price to come up with - there is nothing out there to compare their car to. Those two cars are ridiculously priced though. We have had a few Audi A8, same year, same diesel engine and for most people (not me) the more desirable car asking around the €6k-€8k

Me, I'd want a V8 petrol Phaeton. Maybe in a year or two :)
    Yea, both of those cars should make the dreamers thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,960 ✭✭✭Soarer

pippip wrote: »

Does that one say 14.2 litres per 100 kilometres? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Soarer wrote: »
    Does that one say 14.2 litres per 100 kilometres? :eek:

He doesn't like the seats either!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/vw-phaeton-3-0l-tdi/11228980 = 2005 for €12500

or

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/vw-phaeton-diesel-for-sale/10999510 = 2005 for €18500

And thats it across carzone,adverts and donedeal. Interesting difference in pricing.

overnight this car has gone to €17500

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

It was overpriced at 12k. .!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Truckermal wrote: »
    It was overpriced at 12k. .!!!!!

May he meant to take 5500 off the 12k cause at 6500 it might have a chance of being sold

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Keep_Her_Lit

For the extra €5k, maybe the seller can now rouse himself to giving it a wash.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/view/11266024

This is actually sold as I just phoned about it but anyway a 08 GS450H with 19k on the clock with full Lexus service history and serviced every year. They are looking for 19k which sounds steep but the car is like brand new plus 750 a year tax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

anyone here ever owned a Bmw 730d the E65 version they are going for small money these days . what are they like ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

With the 30% plus reported increase in insurance this year and the lack of some insurers covering 10 year old cars is the barge becoming impossible to own? Shame really as fuel prices have collapsed and motor tax has remained stable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭spyderski

With the 30% plus reported increase in insurance this year and the lack of some insurers covering 10 year old cars is the barge becoming impossible to own? Shame really as fuel prices have collapsed and motor tax has remained stable.

Mate of mine has a 2006 BMW 630i from new (best looked after car in Ireland). His insurance last year was c.€580. He got a renewal notice last week for nearly €1,100 ! He figured there must be something wrong, so he checked, and rang 3/4 other brokers and that was the cheapest price he could get !

Nothing has changed - no accidents, no change of address etc. in fact last year he had 3 points on his licence which have now come off - so the only explanation is because the car is now 10 years old. Does not bode well for the future of luxobarges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Jesus. There was me thinking it was 15 years that you'd have to worry about. So now because it's 2016, my meticulously maintained, NCT'd and safe BMW is becoming a write-off simply because insurance companies have decided it's a death trap. Fun times. :mad:

Yep, with the insurance at €1100 and the tax at €1480 he's now genuinely thinking of changing, even though he loves the car and is not stuck for a few bob - he's paying through the nose for the privilege of driving a 10 year old car that's worth €12k on a good day. His annual cost before the car turns a wheel is over 20% of the cars' value. Crazy stuff really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Sure mine was the same on the 740, €800 two years ago and all the quotes I got last month were €1900+. With the tax and insurance, the overall purchase/ownership cost of these cars is inline with most countries now, despite the cheap purchase price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,544 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Sure mine was the same on the 740, €800 two years ago and all the quotes I got last month were €1900+. With the tax and insurance, the overall purchase/ownership cost of these cars is inline with most countries now, despite the cheap purchase price.
    What are they playing at? They must be pushed into this by government to drive new car sales.
    Of course they would be easily persuaded.

The new car sales push is crazy. I'm in the middle of buying a new car myself. The car I want is 3 years old, the car the Mrs. wants is brand new. Mine is priced nearly €10k less, but hers is working out nearly €100 per month cheaper due to manufacturers low APR vs. a normal bank loan. Unless you're buying for cash there's really no advantage in buying a 3-4 year old car over a new one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

spyderski wrote: »
    The new car sales push is crazy. I'm in the middle of buying a new car myself. The car I want is 3 years old, the car the Mrs. wants is brand new. Mine is priced nearly €10k less, but hers is working out nearly €100 per month cheaper due to manufacturers low APR vs. a normal bank loan. Unless you're buying for cash there's really no advantage in buying a 3-4 year old car over a new one.

I presume there's a final payment waiting at the end of 3 years on your wife's new car. You'll be free and clear when your bank loan is paid.

spyderski wrote: »

Add up all the payments and I assure you the total difference will still be the guts of €10k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Back to sort of luxobarge motoring.

24266360692_93cc1bfbed_b.jpg

Cost me 1500 lids. And yes, it's a commerical crew cab :) BMW M51 engine, so sweet and fuel efficient 2.5l diesel. Will even take veg oil, if I wanted to. Even came with a test to July.

And somebody has already converted it from air to coil suspension. That's that one taken care of.

/M

• Advertisement

mickdw wrote: »
    What are they playing at? They must be pushed into this by government to drive new car sales.
    Of course they would be easily persuaded.

Insurance doesn't make a difference on old vs. new bar value. They just upped everybody based on overall claims. No government influence needed to fleece us.

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

Marlow wrote: »
    Insurance doesn't make a difference on old vs. new bar value. They just upped everybody based on overall claims. No government influence needed to fleece us.

/M

when I was renewing on my 02 I put in as 06 just to see and premium dropped by 60euro.

when I was renewing on my 02 I put in as 06 just to see and premium dropped by 60euro.

Insurance is like lottery. It could be caused by engine performance changes between a 02 and a 06 of the same model. Without further details it's hard to know.

Either way, 60 quid is marginal. We are talking about premiums raising in the 100s this year due to the amount of claims last year.

/M

M

2003 LS430 Presidential Edition €3250, 3 months tax and NCT. This one has air suspension which if gone could cost as much as the car...

50860028.jpeg

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/ls430-rare-presidential-edition/11276297

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,544 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Marlow wrote: »

/M
    But we are after hearing examples of prices going to silly levels once the car turns 10 years old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭Furzy

mickdw wrote: »
    But we are after hearing examples of prices going to silly levels once the car turns 10 years old.

We've heard example of car insurance going up silly levels - nothing to say it's restricted to cars over ten years!

• Advertisement

Premiums for a lot of stuff have gone up silly disregard less of age. Fact. And that's related to last year's claim load.

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Sounds about right. Mate of mine works for FBD and said figure on around €20 premium per €1000 of insured value.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Brasso

Two GS 450hs here, €5k each. Both due NCT in June so both are probably coming up to their tenth birthdays. The navy one has 234,000 km and the silver has 201,000 km. The navy seems to be some sort of trade sale and is missing a bit of rear trim on the door, the reg isn't shown either and there's no description in the ad. The silver is a private sale, looks a bit less suspect to me but who knows, says donedealing since 2008 so he's had no reason to change his number anyway. Checking the reg on the silver one gives no change of ownership in the last 3 months and NCT until May 22, so June isn't quite accurate.
    50993103.jpeg

51085042.jpeg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭Staph

Love it, but it's a little pricey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Agreed. As lovely as its history is and as rare as it is, they still go for peanuts. €6000 would be asking a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭polan

Is it not the same 600SEL that was up for sale a few weeks back for like €1,500 ?

polan wrote: »
    Is it not the same 600SEL that was up for sale a few weeks back for like €1,500 ?

No that was Navy in colour and a TS reg..

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Brasso

51270595.jpeg
    Probably the only V8 you can buy that avoids max tax on the engine displacement system. Only has NCT until March though, asking €2,450.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

Brasso wrote: »
    Probably the only V8 you can buy that avoids max tax on the engine displacement system. Only has NCT until March though, asking €2,450.

Wonder why he hasn't got the NCT done since it's so close?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Lovely car but I doubt he'll get anywhere near his asking price
    Brasso wrote: »
    Probably the only V8 you can buy that avoids max tax on the engine displacement system.

I had that same engine in my '94 E34 :)

Sold that car 12 years ago, only to buy a...

... V8 E38 7-series :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,544 ✭✭✭blackbox

How could you have a car 20 years old with only 82,000 miles on it? Especially something that is built for long distance driving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭ligertigon

blackbox wrote: »
    How could you have a car 20 years old with only 82,000 miles on it? Especially something that is built for long distance driving.

(82000/20)X4.54=18532 X €1.20 = €22,000

Because it cost 22 grand to put that mileage on it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

blackbox wrote: »

What about it is so unbelieveable to you? Some people simply use their cars less than others.

I've a 20 year old 5 series with a genuine 66k miles which is an even more extreme example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I put 20,000 miles up in 12 months living in Mayo. When I lived in Killester I didn't even need to own a car. Different strokes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭bren2002

Posting on a phone so hope this works.

06 xtype, <50k miles, 10 months of nct but no tax. €4,950

http://m.carzone.ie/used-cars/Jaguar/X-Type-V6-LUXURY-4DR-2-LITRE-05.5MY..LOW-MILLAGE../201314533958973090

M

bren2002 wrote: »
    Posting on a phone so hope this works.

06 xtype, <50k miles, 10 months of nct but no tax. €4,950

http://m.carzone.ie/used-cars/Jaguar/X-Type-V6-LUXURY-4DR-2-LITRE-05.5MY..LOW-MILLAGE../201314533958973090

Says NCT until Nov 2017 at the bottom of the ad, might not show up on mobile version. I wonder how reliable these cars and engine are, normally Jaguar is low in those reliability surveys. Looks well looked after and low miles too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭millington

Says NCT until Nov 2017 at the bottom of the ad, might not show up on mobile version. I wonder how reliable these cars and engine are, normally Jaguar is low in those reliability surveys. Looks well looked after and low miles too.

Horrible cars. Rattly old Mondeos is all they are!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 486 ✭✭curiousb

millington wrote: »
    Horrible cars. Rattly old Mondeos is all they are!

My old xtype was a million miles from a 'rattly old Mondeo'!

x3.jpg

There's good and bad examples of all cars. But I don't think the xType is a luxobarge!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

not for me either, but this one i do consider a lux
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/jaguar-xk8/11016679
    49615200.jpeg

engine has 30,000 less miles than on the clock due to it being replaced (all receipts/invoices for the work are available to view)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

kupus wrote: »
    not for me either, but this one i do consider a lux
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/jaguar-xk8/11016679

engine has 30,000 less miles than on the clock due to it being replaced (all receipts/invoices for the work are available to view)
    Outside of a good shunt, I would be asking why the engine and gearbox was replaced. I'd also be looking for service receipts for the original car.

That one wouldn't be for me with that dash either. Looks very dated imo.
    Edit: they might have been replaced at different times......The ad says "engine and gearbox recently replaced"

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭kodirl

ligertigon wrote: »
    (82000/20)X4.54=18532 X €1.20 = €22,000

Because it cost 22 grand to put that mileage on it?

That's a very conservative figure given that petrol prices were higher over the past few years.

kodirl wrote: »
    That's a very conservative figure given that petrol prices were higher over the past few years.

But not 20 years ago ;)

If memory serves me right a litre of unleaded was about 55p back then...

• Advertisement

cadaliac wrote: »
    I would be asking why the engine and gearbox was replaced.

Engine is quite common, these suffered from Nikasil. As for why the gearbox needed to be changed, now that is very strange indeed at that kinda mileage. Question time it is so :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement