Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*** 2013: Accounting Before/After ***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭AndreaEgan

Sorry I don't, I only have one sample and that was a printed version we got at that seminar. It would be really unfair if it came up, considering how unavailable the material is for it, but you never know with those state examination commissioners..

No worries! I'll try pull something together on the day if that happens :)
    Slow Show wrote: »
    I have a mock paper somewhere where it came up and the solution, I probably won't get a chance today but I'll PM it to anyone who's interested when I get a chance (not sure what the craic with copyright is so it might not be the best idea to put it up on thread).

I would be interested to see it if you have it :) Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

Need this A1.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 32 cool4cats17

Word is that this is the year departmental is going to make an apperance :eek:

Could they be that mean? :eek: I don't think I would manage a Departmental :P

• Registered Users Posts: 33 carlos123455

AndreaEgan wrote: »
    Could they be that mean? :eek: I don't think I would manage a Departmental :P

What the **** is departamental :O

• Advertisement

The 'alternative' to Sole trader, Company and manufacturing accounts as Q1s that 'is' on the course and could be asked any year but is neglected by many accounting teachers as it doesnt usually come up in the Q1 rotation.

First time for everything, Its gonna have to come up some year, is this the year :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

I think that was the word last year and every other year too. :p Nothing exists to say it won't happen but it is extremely unlikely. :P

Slow Show wrote: »
    I think that was the word last year and every other year too. :p Nothing exists to say it won't happen but it is extremely unlikely. :P

I hope you're right! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

That makes two of us...

Not sure there is anything the opposite to sole trader, but there are other forms of business such as partnership, charities and incorparation (forms of companies), but I've not heard of departmental accounting. :o

Q1 Departmenetal

Q2,3,4 60 Markers - Published, Suspense, Farm

Q5 - Interpretation

Q6 - Club OR Service Firm

Q7 - Tab or Incomplete

Q8 - Difficult Costing/Budgeting similar to 2009

Q9 - Marginal

You heard it here first folks ;)

• Advertisement

smcgiff wrote: »
    That makes two of us...

Not sure there is anything the opposite to sole trader, but there are other forms of business such as partnership, charities and incorparation (forms of companies), but I've not heard of departmental accounting. :o

It generally appears on the OL but it is on our course too, just as Cool4Cats17 said teachers tend to neglect it because it has never appeared on the HL course before. Hoping it doesn't appear this year either, although I did have a dream a few nights ago about this paper and Departmental appeared, as I said, it was more like a nightmare! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Departmental is basically where you have to split the firms trading/profit and loss between departments - always between two in ones I've done e.g. Footwear/Sportswear departments in a clothing shop. You'd end up having six columns, 2 for each department and then a totals column. I've only ever done Ordinary Level questions as there really aren't any higher level examples. It's not difficult, it's just weird, the hardest thing to it is knowing whether to divide based on Floor Space or Sales (you'd know what I mean if you saw a question) and that's generally not hard. That being said, what with only doing it at OL, I dunno what they'd bring in at HL but I imagine it'd be the same as always just with more dividing.

Apparently there's too much arithmetic for them to really put it up at HL, as there really isn't enough time to make the question all that complicated with workings when you have six columns to fill and so much dividing to do. I think I'll have a glance over it for ten minutes on Sunday evening but that's all. If you've never done it I wouldn't worry about it, it's even very rare at OL.

I would imagine there would be uproar by many teachers if Departmental appeared as Q1 (and I don't think the SEC would risk that) as it never has done before and many books don't even include Departmental q's or examples at HL making it very difficult for us to learn or know what to include. I know our book and 2 books we had in the previous year didn't have Departmental accounts included at HL and our teacher never covered them with us at all. All we can do is hope it doesn't appear :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭outnumbered

Q1 Departmenetal

Q2,3,4 60 Markers - Published, Suspense, Farm

Q5 - Interpretation

Q6 - Club OR Service Firm

Q7 - Tab or Incomplete

Q8 - Difficult Costing/Budgeting similar to 2009

Q9 - Marginal

You heard it here first folks ;)
    That would be a horrible paper!
    Is ties a reason why wwt think these?
    I think,
    Club, depreciation, control.
    Interpret, Published or suspence , incomplete.
    Marginal
    production

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

WHAT THE HELLL IS A DEPARTMENTAL?

Okay so this is what I am studying. It should cover me in all sections (I hope)

control*
    Depreciation*
    Tabular
    Club*service/farm

Interpretation (As a very last resort)
    Incomplete*(both methods)
    Published account*

Production Budgeting
    Marginal Costing*
    Look over other Budgeting Questions

Theory for all of the above. It's worth 15% after all.

So I hope this will cover me! I really really need the A1 in this, especially after Biology. So let's hope they are nice.

*= Expected/wanted/studying most

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭buyer95

How likely is a marginal costing question?Its the only question in section 3 Im good at, I HATE budgeting...

buyer95 wrote: »
    How likely is a marginal costing question?Its the only question in section 3 Im good at, I HATE budgeting...
    on a scale of 1-10, I'd say 6.5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭buyer95

on a scale of 1-10, I'd say 6.5

Of the others you listed above, which do you feel are most likely?

Interpretation is A MUST!

Its the only guaranteed question every year, why wouldn't you have it done to a tee with all the ratios and theory learned off?

Easy Marks........

• Advertisement

buyer95 wrote: »
    Of the others you listed above, which do you feel are most likely?
    Ok so the thing is, This year is very predictable. They know this....
    They WILL **** us over somehow.
    So this is what shoudl come up, but expect a twist with one of the Long questions I'd say!
    Depreciation
    creditors contrl
    Incomplete (forward) Ironic as I have yet to complete it! :p
    Published
    Marginal
    Prodction

• Registered Users Posts: 2 KingKavanagh

Okay, calm down everyone. They will NOT put a Departmental A/C on the exam! The number of people who choose accounting are dropping every year! Only 3,889 people did Higher Level Accounting last year and only an extra 1,716 did Ordinary! They really don't want to scare off more people by putting on a question that has never been asked before on higher level!

Okay, calm down everyone. They will NOT put a Departmental A/C on the exam! The number of people who choose accounting are dropping every year! Only 3,889 people did Higher Level Accounting last year and only an extra 1,716 did Ordinary! They really don't want to scare off more people by putting on a question that has never been asked before on higher level!

I think that everyone is being put off by the fact that every year its becoming more likely and overdue and if they ask it this year they definitely won't ask it for 5+ years, therefore people will be more likely to do accounting again #logic

The time to panic is now people - Departmental Accounting LC 2013 Its gonna happen

It definitely wont be departmental

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭giggsy664

Here's a class website I found a while back. Has notes on every topic (except control, dep, and reval) and has links to all the papers and marking schemes.

http://davidwilson.ie/web/Accounting.html

If anyone has any notes on reval or could PM me / post in the thread explaining how you work out the Revenue Reserve that'd be greatly appreciated

Just out of curiosity is there any knowledge of how many people are sitting Accounting this year?

I am hoping Departmental doesn't appear and if it does I'll just have to suffer the loss of those 120 marks! But I really need at least a B1 in this!

• Registered Users Posts: 46 lizardspock

I think that everyone is being put off by the fact that every year its becoming more likely and overdue and if they ask it this year they definitely won't ask it for 5+ years, therefore people will be more likely to do accounting again #logic

The time to panic is now people - Departmental Accounting LC 2013 Its gonna happen

It definitely wont be departmental

See what you did there- smell of **** being stirred :P
    Keep calm folks, it's not gonna happen!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Fcuk question 1,the 60 markers are where it's at :cool:

Fcuk question 1,the 60 markers are where it's at :cool:

I don't know why anyone would do Q1 when Q2, 3, 4 are either short versions of questions in Section 2, or control accounts (the easiest question on the course), depreciation (imo the second easiest question), and revaluation (which is also fairly easy)

Okay So I have decided to learn the Ratio question!
    Has anybody got any good tips on How to learn the damn things? :/

• Advertisement

Okay So I have decided to learn the Ratio question!
    Has anybody got any good tips on How to learn the damn things? :/

Just do the questions. Write out all the ratios first, then do questions.

Advertisement