Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*** 2013: Accounting Before/After ***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭kevin12345

yournerd wrote: »
    Omg what are people learning?
    I'm learing these in detail, I'll skim over the rest.

Control
    Club
    Service
    Tab
    Dep

Ratios
    Incomplete Forward
    Published

Marginal
    Budgeting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

shawki wrote: »
    No if it is likely legal expenses and compensation would both go into admin and then into the balance sheet under the heading Provison for contingent liability and charges

Yes I know this, I was using two different examples to explain two different things. :P

EDIT: Sorry I see what you mean, I've only ever come across one account where you actually had to use one and I put it into creditors after one year but just looked into it and in the balance sheet it goes into Financed By. Good to know this now I guess!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

I never covered tabular, service or farm or cash budgeting or the 60markers in section 1. am i at a disadvantage?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 lizardspock

For P&L accounts, is investment income entered under the Operating Income heading, or are you meant to add it on to the Operating Profit before subtracting debenture/mortgage interest, or does it even matter??

• Registered Users Posts: 19 dorcan

what headings in accountancy does not get you any marks? Im desperate at it and spend too long on layout. plan on not writing headings which do not give marks to save time please help someone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 LionelNotMessy

To whoever is doing OL.
    Is it guarenteed that Q 5 and Q 7 will be the interpretation and the cash flow or can they change it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭teach88

dorcan wrote: »
    what headings in accountancy does not get you any marks? Im desperate at it and spend too long on layout. plan on not writing headings which do not give marks to save time please help someone
    They have really tightened up on headings in recent times to avoid people just writing down anonymous figures.

This is not going to change this year so all are important. You WILL lose marks if you don't present your work properly and, in my opinion (and no offence), rightly so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

For P&L accounts, is investment income entered under the Operating Income heading, or are you meant to add it on to the Operating Profit before subtracting debenture/mortgage interest, or does it even matter??

I'm pretty sure it's under the operating income heading. Well that's in the published profit and loss anyways! :P

Does anybody know how to deal with this part of the incomplete records : "It was agreed that Lynch would pay interest on the last day of each month at a rate of 5% per annum. The capital sum was to be repaid in a lump sum in the year 2015 and to provide for this the bank was to transfer €1,200 on the last day of each month from Lynch's business bank account into an investment fund commencing on 30/9/2006 " .. ? It's Q 7 in the 2007 paper if anyone can please help! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

ray2012 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure it's under the operating income heading. Well that's in the published profit and loss anyways! :P

Does anybody know how to deal with this part of the incomplete records : "It was agreed that Lynch would pay interest on the last day of each month at a rate of 5% per annum. The capital sum was to be repaid in a lump sum in the year 2015 and to provide for this the bank was to transfer €1,200 on the last day of each month from Lynch's business bank account into an investment fund commencing on 30/9/2006 " .. ? It's Q 7 in the 2007 paper if anyone can please help! :)

To get the interest:
    -180000×5%%12×4=3000= payable
    -3000-2250(paid)= 750 (due ->>balance sheet)
    -3000(payable) - 600 (20% drawings)= 2400 ->> P&L

Investment:
    -1200×4 (4 months Sep-Dec)=4800
    -4800+ 25 ( interest earned by fund to date at end of year) = 4825
    -Goes to Balance sheet under financial fixed assets

Just happened to do the question earlier :)

To get the interest:
    -180000×5%%12×4=3000= payable
    -3000-2250(paid)= 750 (due ->>balance sheet)
    -3000(payable) - 600 (20% drawings)= 2400 ->> P&L

Investment:
    -1200×4 (4 months Sep-Dec)=4800
    -4800+ 25 ( interest earned by fund to date at end of year) = 4825
    -Goes to Balance sheet under financial fixed assets

Just happened to do the question earlier :)

Thanks a million, I really appreciate it! :D

• Advertisement

ray2012 wrote: »

Well in the published accounts you have a special place for Investment Income, right over Exceptional Items which normally just seem to be Profit on sale of a fixed asset. Which is actually quite confusing 'cos I would've assumed it was just a regular old gain as it is in most accounts, thus operating income. But no. :/ Equally confusing is in Cash Flows where if you were to do out an abridged profit and loss, investment income is added after operating profit. I just go along with these things at this stage, what's the point of understanding the intricacies of it all now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭outnumbered

We were told that you won't be asked nor expected to include the contingent liabilities in the accounts as they'll usually be "not expected"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭kevin12345

Does anyone want to help me finish my rhyme for remembering the layout to a Published Account? :P Just incase the pressure gets to me on the day.

Tom........Turnover
    Cruise........Cost of Sales
    Got........Gross Profit
    Drunk........Distribution
    And........Administration

kevin12345 wrote: »
    Does anyone want to help me finish my rhyme for remembering the layout to a Published Account? :P Just incase the pressure gets to me on the day.

Tom........Turnover
    Cruise........Cost of Sales
    Got........Gross Profit
    Drunk........Distribution
    And........Administration
    Obviously..... Other op Income
    Organised...... Operating profit
    Invitations...... Investment income
    Privately...... Profit on sale of land
    Incase ......Interest Payable

Anyone happen to have the balance figure for the DEB mock Q1? 2000 out and it is painful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48 Laauren

Slow Show wrote: »
    Anyone happen to have the balance figure for the DEB mock Q1? 2000 out and it is painful.

Hope this helps?

Edit: sorry the image didn't attach :/ the balance is 1,358,580

Laauren wrote: »
    Hope this helps?

Edit: sorry the image didn't attach :/ the balance is 1,358,580

Thank you! :) I have that as my Total Net Assets figure but my Capital Employed is 1360580. :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48 Laauren

Slow Show wrote: »
    Thank you! :) I have that as my Total Net Assets figure but my Capital Employed is 1360580. :/

No problem! I can't upload the image but here's the financed by:

Creditors:amounts falling due...
    5% mortgage 300000

Capital and reserves
    Capital 1/1/12 880000
    Add net profit 71880

Less drawings (27800)

Revaluation reserve 134500

My Gosh, I am getting so sick of this subject! I used to like it but right now it's the most tedious thing. Being the emotionally unstable being that I currently am (Pay tribute to LC), If, actually no, WHEN my account doesn't balance, I have a mini Breakdown. Tuesday Evening cannot come quick enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

Would anyone be able to explain 2010 q7 part 3 please? It's a suspense question about winning a van and I don't understand the marking scheme.. Perhaps leaving a whole pile of accounting til now wasn't such a good idea!
    Thank you :)

• Advertisement

Would anyone be able to explain 2010 q7 part 3 please? It's a suspense question about winning a van and I don't understand the marking scheme.. Perhaps leaving a whole pile of accounting til now wasn't such a good idea!
    Thank you :)

Hey there!
    Okay this is a confusing one but follows the same steps each time. :)

Mccarthy(himself) won 30000 euro van. And he gave this van to the business. He then took a van of 22500 from the business for private use (treat these as two seperate events).
    So in the "was" bit, you have a debit in the cash book of 22500.
    Now, when you give something of your own to the business, it is called "capital". this is strangely treated as an expense account. So capital will go up by 30000 on the credit side.
    Now he then took from the business 22500 euro, this is called "drawings". drawings account is the opposite to the capital account and thus increases by 22500 on the debit side.
    Then the next bit possibly confuses you.... You have to open a "purchases" account. You treat the win as if you bought something, and you treat the 22500 as if you sold it. so the purchases account will be 30000 debit, 22500 credit.
    The later part is catchy, but yo have to learn this. My teacher couldn't explain it. :D
    I hope this helped.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

Hey there!
    Okay this is a confusing one but follows the same steps each time. :)

Mccarthy(himself) won 30000 euro van. And he gave this van to the business. He then took a van of 22500 from the business for private use (treat these as two seperate events).
    So in the "was" bit, you have a debit in the cash book of 22500.
    Now, when you give something of your own to the business, it is called "capital". this is strangely treated as an expense account. So capital will go up by 30000 on the credit side.
    Now he then took from the business 22500 euro, this is called "drawings". drawings account is the opposite to the capital account and thus increases by 22500 on the debit side.
    Then the next bit possibly confuses you.... You have to open a "purchases" account. You treat the win as if you bought something, and you treat the 22500 as if you sold it. so the purchases account will be 30000 debit, 22500 credit.
    The later part is catchy, but yo have to learn this. My teacher couldn't explain it. :D
    I hope this helped.

Thanks, I get you know! I was using drawings instead of purchases and wasn't sure what that was about. Thanks a million, I guess I should keep all my questions instead of losing them in the pile of sheets on my floor :P

Thanks, I get you know! I was using drawings instead of purchases and wasn't sure what that was about. Thanks a million, I guess I should keep all my questions instead of losing them in the pile of sheets on my floor :P

No bother.
    Haha I'm the same! ughh accounting...

• Registered Users Posts: 22 jackkeane

Just wondering, is anyone in the same position as me? I do Q1, not the 60 markers. Our teacher didn't cover ratios so I do Q6, 7 and I ALWAYS do Q9 over 8.

100mark questions have never come up 2 years in a row so, is anyone bothering to study cash flow / service firm? I really dont want to waste time going over them when they dont have any chance of coming up! Plus cash flow is such a horrible question :(

jackkeane wrote: »
    Just wondering, is anyone in the same position as me? I do Q1, not the 60 markers. Our teacher didn't cover ratios so I do Q6, 7 and I ALWAYS do Q9 over 8.

100mark questions have never come up 2 years in a row so, is anyone bothering to study cash flow / service firm? I really dont want to waste time going over them when they dont have any chance of coming up! Plus cash flow is such a horrible question :(

Yeah I'm not going over the cash flow or service firm. I do Q1 as well so there is no way they'd repeat in section B (don't blame me if they do ;))

I'm going to go over published/incomplete (both methods) and maybe a bit of suspense and hope I'll be sorted with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭AndreaEgan

jackkeane wrote: »

Yeah I'm the same, always do Q1. I'm not going over Cash Flow or Service, in fact I think I'm risking it with Published, Incomplete (both methods) and taking up Interpretation, which I still have yet to do, but I can't start looking over Tab and Suspense this late :P We briefly touched on it with our teacher but I'm going to learn the ratios just to cover myself. I'm also just focusing on Q9's, leaving out Cash Budgets :)

I'm only doing published and incomplete records. and marginal and sole trader and manufactoring :D

I'm only doing published and incomplete records. and marginal and sole trader and manufactoring :D

That's so risky (not that you need to be told).

That's so risky (not that you need to be told).

What else though?

• Advertisement

What else though?

ratios?
    all of section 3, they will **** us over imo

Advertisement