Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*** 2013: Accounting Before/After ***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭AndreaEgan

yournerd wrote: »
    What else though?

Maybe try Interpretation, just in case Published and Incomplete don't appear together :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

IInterpreation is a bitch though what do i need to learn?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭outnumbered

IInterpreation is a bitch though what do i need to learn?

I know man... you're going for medicine aswell though. you can't take the risk :)
    learn the 20 ratios and headings. it's a nightmare but prob guarenteed ;)

20? I'm not going for medicine hahaha. i hate the health centre plus no jobs :)

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭AndreaEgan

Interpretation is awful! Just have it as a back up in case they throw Tab or Suspense on :) Have a look at exam papers and see what are the most popular ratios, although you generally need them all for comparison in part b of the question. Its a right pain!

• Advertisement

really? were you not in the med forum? :)
    yeah approx

AndreaEgan wrote: »
    Interpretation is awful! Just have it as a back up in case they throw Tab or Suspense on :) Have a look at exam papers and see what are the most popular ratios, although you generally need them all for comparison in part b of the question. Its a right pain!

There's 3. Looking for a mortgage, for the debenture and share holders :) i think,

• Registered Users Posts: 22 jackkeane

Club account 100mark is also likely!

Yeah I'm not doing question 8 either. But I'm covering cash budgets in case the mixed version from 2009 comes up again. Since our exam is in the afternoon, I might glance over a departmental account JUST in case!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Brendan1234

Am I the only one who likes the interpretation question? It's handy enough one you've done a few.

Am I the only one who likes the interpretation question? It's handy enough one you've done a few.

I'm beginning to like it actually! Here's hoping they put one up!

• Advertisement

In the 2005 question7 incomplete, Can anybody properly explain the rent figure of 1200 in the workings?
    I am sooo lost with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 bigt132

In the 2005 question7 incomplete, Can anybody properly explain the rent figure of 1200 in the workings?
    I am sooo lost with it!

Hey so firstly you split the 2400 between drawings (800) and eh non-drawings (1600) :P, then with this 1600 you then split that again between prepaid, 1200, and paid for this year, 400 (which goes in the P+L) :)

bigt132 wrote: »
    Hey so firstly you split the 2400 between drawings (800) and eh non-drawings (1600) :P, then with this 1600 you then split that again between prepaid, 1200, and paid for this year, 400 (which goes in the P+L) :)

Thanks. But I don't understand why there is Prepaid of 1200?? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

Ok, so the figure for rent is at €1600 now. You see in the question that the building rented was on the 1/10/04. That leaves 3 months for the P+L (as it's THIS YEARS), and you'll have 9 months prepaid for the next year, so that will go into the Balance sheet as a current asset. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29 bigt132

Oh right I think it's cos the 1600 was payment for a whole year but then in the question it says that he rented the building on the 1/10/04 so then you'd have 3 months paid for 04 and 9 months prepaid for 05 which turns out to be 1200 :)

Edit: Same as above :P

For some reason you split the figure after drawings with rent from incomplete records.

Any other adjustment like that (e.g the splitting of mortgage interest in Q1 sole trader), you split it from the total amount payable. My teacher said there is no proper reason why you dont deal with them the same way.

thinking of bringing in 2 calculators.

thinking of bringing in 2 calculators.

I always have two haha. I'm paranoid like that. Then sometimes i have the two of them going at once... :P haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Lcstudent2013

Hate every single Q6/Q7 besides published accounts.
    PLEASE published come up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭giggsy664

I always have two haha. I'm paranoid like that. Then sometimes i have the two of them going at once... :P haha.

My calculator died during Junior Cert Maths Paper 1, so I've had 3 with me for all the exams haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 lizardspock

Ended up having one calculator on either side of my desk during maths last week, one with radian measure other with normal/stats. Will be bringing two into chemistry, hate the way casio always puts things in scientific notation, just makes me make stupid mistakes! So it's a combination of Sharp + Casio.. slightly obsessive :P

Anyone else make the most frustrating mistakes like reading numbers wrong? (e.g writing 6560 instead 6650)

Drives me INSANE!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 carlos123455

I'm gonna be so happy if tabular came up as a 100 marker

Ye know for the words in the accounts like "Debtors" and "creditors", would it be acceptable as abbreviating them, as in maybe "Drs" and "Crs"? I always do it in class, but I'm not sure if it's acceptable in an exam. Obviously one wouldn't be able to do that in the published account, but I mean other accounts like Q1's and incomplete? :P

ray2012 wrote: »
    Ye know for the words in the accounts like "Debtors" and "creditors", would it be acceptable as abbreviating them, as in maybe "Drs" and "Crs"? I always do it in class, but I'm not sure if it's acceptable in an exam. Obviously one wouldn't be able to do that in the published account, but I mean other accounts like Q1's and incomplete? :P

I think it depends on how others are doing. So if people are doing very well, they will start making it tougher and give marks for headings etc.
    I'd assume it's at the discretion of the examiner. :)

I think it depends on how others are doing. So if people are doing very well, they will start making it tougher and give marks for headings etc.
    I'd assume it's at the discretion of the examiner. :)

Alright sound :)

If a manufacturing comes up as Q1, I know I'll be rushing to get the whole exam finished so I'd probably abbreviate then. If it's a sole trader I'll be grand with time, hopefully!

ray2012 wrote: »
    Alright sound :)

If a manufacturing comes up as Q1, I know I'll be rushing to get the whole exam finished so I'd probably abbreviate then. If it's a sole trader I'll be grand with time, hopefully!

Ah I don't do question 1.
    You know for Published, words, headings, order are absolutely crucial!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 carlos123455

I don't see why is everyone so sure that Q1 is going to be sole trader or manufacturing.. Company came up last year but they could put it up again to trick us, and before it cam up 3 years in a row so whats stopping it from coming up this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

Hey there!
    Okay this is a confusing one but follows the same steps each time. :)

Mccarthy(himself) won 30000 euro van. And he gave this van to the business. He then took a van of 22500 from the business for private use (treat these as two seperate events).
    So in the "was" bit, you have a debit in the cash book of 22500.
    Now, when you give something of your own to the business, it is called "capital". this is strangely treated as an expense account. So capital will go up by 30000 on the credit side.
    Now he then took from the business 22500 euro, this is called "drawings". drawings account is the opposite to the capital account and thus increases by 22500 on the debit side.
    Then the next bit possibly confuses you.... You have to open a "purchases" account. You treat the win as if you bought something, and you treat the 22500 as if you sold it. so the purchases account will be 30000 debit, 22500 credit.
    The later part is catchy, but yo have to learn this. My teacher couldn't explain it. :D
    I hope this helped.

Sorry to post again on this, I was looking over this earlier and in the marking scheme they use bank instead of drawings? Does anyone know why? I think the figure is 7500. I would have used drawings and there aren't any similar ones in the revise wise so I can't work it out. Thanks!

• Advertisement

Sorry to post again on this, I was looking over this earlier and in the marking scheme they use bank instead of drawings? Does anyone know why? I think the figure is 7500. I would have used drawings and there aren't any similar ones in the revise wise so I can't work it out. Thanks!

Okay I better stop answering questions haha.

Our teacher DID however tell us that you can do it either way.
    I stand to be corrected :) x

Advertisement