Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**2013: History - Before/After **

14567810»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭shootie

Just thinking about what I actually wrote on the exam for the first time. For the dev Q on Anglo-Irish relations I wrote about the various aspects of dismantling the treaty and the external relations act, the economic war and WW2 neutrality and feud with Churchill. Did I miss anything?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

shootie wrote: »
    Just thinking about what I actually wrote on the exam for the first time. For the dev Q on Anglo-Irish relations I wrote about the various aspects of dismantling the treaty and the external relations act, the economic war and WW2 neutrality and feud with Churchill. Did I miss anything?
    That's pretty much it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭SeanyboyQPR

What were the reasons for market segmentation in Q7 b? And the benefits to Ireland of membership of the EU in Q2 (C)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 garycreaton

second man u sound so much like my history teacher :P asking for money, and as u said my grattitude is worth so much more :P and stalin aswell i cudnt be happier

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69 ✭✭olazbabes

HEY mr you are right> i realised that too AT THE END OF THE EXAM. because I was so nervous those case studies just didnt click to me. my bad. DO THEY MARK HISTORY HARD ANYBODY???????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

olazbabes wrote: »
    HEY mr you are right> i realised that too AT THE END OF THE EXAM. because I was so nervous those case studies just didnt click to me. my bad. DO THEY MARK HISTORY HARD ANYBODY???????

Essays are probably marked hard as everyone seems to do well in the document and RSR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69 ✭✭olazbabes

I was just wondering is Lc History marked hard. I thought that the case studies were hidden in questions not asked directly- eg brian faulner=sunningdale or facist regimes-nuremberg. I panicked and answered opposite questions. my fault!:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

0mega wrote: »
    Essays are probably marked hard as everyone seems to do well in the document and RSR.
    The marking scheme for history essays is pretty straight forward

each paragraph (or to be more accurate - each issue you address) is marked out of a maximum of 12 marks. Those marks are allocated on the following basis -
    Excellent 11-12 marks
    Outstanding piece of analysis, exposition or commentary. Clearly expressed, accurate and substantial information.

Very good 8-10 marks
    Very good material, accurately and clearly expressed.

Good 6-7 marks
    Worthwhile information, reasonably well expressed.

Fair 3-5 marks
    Limited information/barely expressed

Poor 0-2 marks
    Trivial/irrelevant/grave errors.

So - if you write five paragraphs and get 12 marks in each paragraph you get 60/60
    If you write 10 paragraphs and get 6/12 in each paragraph you still get 60/60

The remaining 40 marks go for how well your have address the question in your answer
    Excellent:
    34-40 marks
    Excellent in its treatment of the set question, particularly if it shows detailed learning, wide reading, analysis or extensive coverage.

Very good:
    28-33 marks
    Very good –but not excellent - in its treatment of the set question, ie: accurate and substantial.

Good:
    22-27 marks
    Good standard treatment of the set question, without being exceptional in the information or the commentary supplied.

Fair:
    16-21 marks
    Fair attempt at the set question, but has identifiable defects, eg: incomplete coverage, irrelevant data, factual inaccuracies.

Weak:
    10-15 marks
    Poor, in that it fails to answer the question as set, but has some merit.

Very weak:
    0-9 marks
    Very poor answer which, at best, offers only scraps of information.

So if you write a lot of different information - even if you have not written the answer in a particularly good fashion you could end up with 60/60 and 20+/40 making your essay 80+ marks.

As an aside - the marks for the document based question do not tend to be particularly high. In 2011 the average marks broke down as follows

Research Project 91.5%
    Document Based Question 69.9%
    Essays 56.5%

This averaged out at 66.18% or a C1 grade.

One major factor in the low marks in the essays came from people choosing the wrong essay and not being able to write about it.

Example - in 2011
    48% of students answered this question
    To what extent did the Eucharistic Congress and/or the language and education policies of Irish governments promote Irish cultural identity?
    and they received an average of 48% for the essay

At the same time
    31% of students answered this question
    Who handled Anglo-Irish relations better, WT Cosgrave or Éamon de Valera? Argue your case, referring to both.
    And they received an average of 61%

How many paragraphs do ye reckon ye had per essay? (exc. intro and conc)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 236 ✭✭SecondMan

How many paragraphs do ye reckon ye had per essay? (exc. intro and conc)

4-5

• Advertisement

Yeah I'm hoping for an A but thought I'd struggle with having 6 per essay to get a high CM.. As long as nobody's donelike 8 or 9 I'm happy haha

• Registered Users Posts: 9 AR95

Yeah I'm hoping for an A but thought I'd struggle with having 6 per essay to get a high CM.. As long as nobody's donelike 8 or 9 I'm happy haha
    i always do 8 plus conclusion and intro to ensure i get full marks on the cm

• Registered Users Posts: 9 AR95

i always do 8 plus conclusion and intro to ensure i get full marks on the cm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭Dropping No Eaves

I had about eleven per essay.

I had about eleven per essay.

Some will almost certainly be grouped together and marked as one..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 59 ✭✭Kingkumar

we were always told to do 12 paragraphs so if u get 5 per para u will still get 60 CM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 236 ✭✭SecondMan

We were never told to do 12 paragraphs. Anyways it makes no difference as the examiner splits the paragraphs up himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭Dropping No Eaves

My paragraphs all dealt with one aspect at reasonable length, why would he clump them together?

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭dizzymenace

SecondMan wrote: »
    We were never told to do 12 paragraphs. Anyways it makes no difference as the examiner splits the paragraphs up himself.

yes but we were thought how to tructure psrsgrsphs , our teacher was a corrector and when correcting our essays he generally took 1m off when he had to change the pararaphs , it will stand to you if the corrector doesnt have to split them up

Advertisement