Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**2013: History - Before/After **

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Aksa94

Lukeyy wrote: »
    Yeah I think you would but there was a question last year on the political attempts to resolve the troubles. So it probably won't come up.

You have though a question like number 4 in 2009. 2008 had a question on it too.
    You're almost guaranteed a case study and seeing as both Coleraine and Apprentice Boys came up then Sunningdale is a likely one. Welfare State hasn't been brought up since 2007 I think.

Then NICRA hasn't been since 2008. Brookeborough is another likely one if you'd rather that but I reckon knowing Sunningdale, NICRA and Welfare State will have you sorted!

A sunningdale question on its own would be something like why it failed ya

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 161 ✭✭Chikablam

Anyone else just not doing France?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Lukeyy

Chikablam wrote: »
    Anyone else just not doing France?

That's really risky! It's very unlikely they'll put India on so if Katanga doesn't come up you're in a mess then!

Aksa94 wrote: »
    A sunningdale question on its own would be something like why it failed ya

It could be anything. If you know kind of Causes, Events, Results and Effect you'll be flying for any question

Lukeyy wrote: »
    That's really risky! It's very unlikely they'll put India on so if Katanga doesn't come up you're in a mess then!

Yeah I know, but I dunno, it seems a bit unlikely, France is such a made up topic, and at this stage it's a bit close

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭CrashBandicoot Girl

Hey, I decided with the anniversary of the Dublin Strike and Lockout Id study it eventhough it's not part of my topic. I was wondering if anyone had sample essays or if not could you tell me the successes of the Lockout? There wasnt much about the successes in the book :( Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Roqueandrolle.

Lads... imagine if India came up.

Lads... imagine if India came up.

That'd be horrible and cruel. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7 BLiamB

Anyone know what I should study for the OL History..?
    I was doing HL up till the last few weeks and my teacher said I was going to fail and basically forced me to do OL, said I would fail infront of the whole class, took me to the principal and all and called my parents...
    So I just agreed to get her off my back now I am not sure what to go over for OL..
    Or is it basically just the same things just less detail?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,286 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

so we didnt cover india, so just not doing it.
    not going to make predictions but i would like: Katanga, treaty , ni welfare state, nazi propaganda.
    dont think any made an appearance last year. welfare state being widely tipped

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 StephenMcL

Lads a Mussolini essay is pretty likely to come up in some shape or form

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭dizzymenace

BLiamB wrote: »
    Anyone know what I should study for the OL History..?
    I was doing HL up till the last few weeks and my teacher said I was going to fail and basically forced me to do OL, said I would fail infront of the whole class, took me to the principal and all and called my parents...
    So I just agreed to get her off my back now I am not sure what to go over for OL..
    Or is it basically just the same things just less detail?

well , i dont do OL myself but i do know a lot about it . case studies ALWAYS come up and so do key personalities . they would ask you to "write a short paragraph on 1 of the following . carson , davitt etc...(a choice of four ) . its pretty much a garaunteed pass and definetely a B1 even if you have a lukewarm idea of your course . tbh , its almost insultingly easy . the documents give 40marks to just comprehension q's and only 20marks for contextualisation . you should fly through it

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Straight Talking Online Frank

this is the big one, could make or break my exams....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭SeanyboyQPR

this is the big one, could make or break my exams....

Same boat as myself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭matTNT

0mega wrote: »
    Is that really all you're preparing? I'm concerned people may get caught out I'm learning about 5/6 for each section..

Get out of here. :P History is the most predictable subject. You should be safe with about 3 expected topics methinks. You will certainly have enough history to improvise with.
    To use an English anology if you need 5 poets to be safe your studying all 8, although me with my Mahon/Plath and Shakespeare should probably be covered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

matTNT wrote: »
    Get out of here. :P History is the most predictable subject. You should be safe with about 3 expected topics methinks. You will certainly have enough history to improvise with.
    To use an English anology if you need 5 poets to be safe your studying all 8, although me with my Mahon/Plath and Shakespeare should probably be covered.

Are you serious?

You cannot learn two essays for a section (which is what I was commenting on) and think that you're covered, particularly when only one is a case study.

Also, the poster in question is assuming Welfare State will come up because it hasn't come up in years. Do you not think though that everyone would've also thought the same last year.. didn't come up!

Same with Sinn Féin 1918, Social/Economic Policy etc. in Pursuit to Sovereignity. Just because something hasn't come up in years doesn't mean it will. They also have a habit of asking the same or similar questions back to back and they now combine two different areas into one question and get you to either compare them or write about both.

Don't go fooling yourself that you're guaranteed by learning a few predictions. If you only learn Sunningdale for example, all they need to do is ask a question like 'Which in your opinion led to greater controversy, the siting of the university in Coleraine or the Sunningdale Agreement?'

You're looking at about 60% at best on that essay.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭RoutineBites

Can anyone tell me what the essay question for France is? Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 236 ✭✭SecondMan

Can anyone tell me what the essay question for France is? Thanks.

Race relations.. I dont really know what you mean.. But, then again, "I have comprehension issues"...according to another poster.

SecondMan wrote: »
    Race relations.. I dont really know what you mean.. But, then again, "I have comprehension issues"...according to another poster.

In that the questions for Katanga are either, "Why did Katanga secede?" or, "Why did the secession fail?" What are the prospective questions that can come up on France?

'Which in your opinion led to greater controversy, the siting of the university in Coleraine or the Sunningdale Agreement?'

Oh my god, that would be beautiful, please tell me you work for the SEC?

• Advertisement

In that the questions for Katanga are either, "Why did Katanga secede?" or, "Why did the secession fail?" What are the prospective questions that can come up on France?

'Why did Race Relations become an issue in France in the 1980s?'
    'Why did the National Front rise to prominence in France during the 1980s?'
    'How did French political parties respond to the issue of race relations in France during the 1980s?'
    'To what extent were Race Relations a major problem in France during the 1980s?'

Also for Katanga, to add on to the ones you've listed:

'What was the impact of the Secession of Katanga?'
    'What was the role of the UN in ending the secession of Katanga?'
    'Why did Katanga secede and how was the secession eventually ended?'

Chikablam wrote: »
    Oh my god, that would be beautiful, please tell me you work for the SEC?

Unfortunately not, but possible question - they've yet to compare those two I think. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9 AR95

Is any one else really worried about timing here? If one essay comes up that I really have to think about before writing thats my exam messed up! :/

'Why did Race Relations become an issue in France in the 1980s?'
    'Why did the National Front rise to prominence in France during the 1980s?'
    'How did French political parties respond to the issue of race relations in France during the 1980s?'
    'To what extent were Race Relations a major problem in France during the 1980s?'

Also for Katanga, to add on to the ones you've listed:

'What was the impact of the Secession of Katanga?'
    'What was the role of the UN in ending the secession of Katanga?'
    'Why did Katanga secede and how was the secession eventually ended?'

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭The Pheasant

What I'm studying:

Pursuit of sovereignty and impact of Partition:

Consolidation of democracy 1922-1939
    Factors which led to partition in 1920
    Rise of Sinn Fein
    Cumman na nGaedheal and Fianna Fail economic polices
    The treaty negotiations

Politics and society of N. Ireland:

Welfare state
    Fall of stormont and sunningdale
    The Civil rights movement
    Brookeborough and O'Neill

Dictatorship and Democracy:

Rise of fascism
    Internal and external policies of Josef Stalin
    Inter-war Germany
    Inter-war Britain
    Technology of warfare

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭The Pheasant

StephenMcL wrote: »
    Lads a Mussolini essay is pretty likely to come up in some shape or form

Came up in 2011...only form I can see is possibly rise of Fascism

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭matTNT

Are you serious?

You cannot learn two essays for a section (which is what I was commenting on) and think that you're covered, particularly when only one is a case study.

Also, the poster in question is assuming Welfare State will come up because it hasn't come up in years. Do you not think though that everyone would've also thought the same last year.. didn't come up!

Same with Sinn Féin 1918, Social/Economic Policy etc. in Pursuit to Sovereignity. Just because something hasn't come up in years doesn't mean it will. They also have a habit of asking the same or similar questions back to back and they now combine two different areas into one question and get you to either compare them or write about both.

Don't go fooling yourself that you're guaranteed by learning a few predictions. If you only learn Sunningdale for example, all they need to do is ask a question like 'Which in your opinion led to greater controversy, the siting of the university in Coleraine or the Sunningdale Agreement?'

You're looking at about 60% at best on that essay.

If you studied 3 things last year that were predicted from each section you would have got your essays. Personally I believe your wrong, these exams are much more predictable than you think. I'll quote this after the exam then we'll see who's right....

I'll be doing:

Propaganda
    Rise of Fascism
    British Economy
    Stalin

1913 Strike and Lockout
    1885 Gen Elec
    Land Question

Irish economy
    Rise of Sinn Fein
    Anglo Irish Treaty

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭aoifemcg94

Guys what the hell am I at? I only have failure of sunningdale and impact of world war two on N/S. That's it! I know I'm such a fool leaving it ESP with such a vast course to cover. The thing is I have Irish paper 2 and biology tomorrow so won't get anything done tonight either.
    Any advice? Please help !

aoifemcg94 wrote: »
    Guys what the hell am I at? I only have failure of sunningdale and impact of world war two on N/S. That's it! I know I'm such a fool leaving it ESP with such a vast course to cover. The thing is I have Irish paper 2 and biology tomorrow so won't get anything done tonight either.
    Any advice? Please help !

If you could get Welfare State and a bit more of Sunningdale, and Treaty Negotiations and maybe Economy under FF and CnaG. Those are seeming most likely!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Elena123

I don't really have time to study/revise everything so I just know 3-4 topics for each sections. Can someone tell me if this is enough or do i need to know something else that might come up on Wednesday?

The pursuit of sovereignty and impact of partition,1912-1949:
    1.Treaty Negotiations.
    2.Eucharistic congress ( i don't think this will come up)
    3.Cumman na nGaedheal
    4.Fianna Fail.

The politics and society in NI:
    1. Sunningdale Agreement ( reasons for its collapse)
    2.The Welfare state
    3.The coleraine university controversy

The dictatorship and democracy in Europe:
    I have Lenin,Stalin,Hitler and Mussolini covered.

And I also know 2 Case studies (The secession of Katanga,and race relations in France)

Can someone suggest me what else should i revise? I think i might do rise of sinn fein as well.. But i dont think it enough.

Advertisement