Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**2013: History - Before/After **

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭aoifemcg94

Only started history today ! I'm screwed atm ! There is no hope!
    Will I be in any way cover with what I've have done so far..
    Failure of sunningdale
    Impact of ww2 north and south
    Economic policies CnanG & FF
    Civil rights - bus boycott

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭user.name

Elceeney wrote: »
    Do you think the treaty essay would come up as the causes/effects or just a full on essay about the treaty negotiations?
    Also, for 1913 strike and lockout how would the question be phrased?
    And finally... Cultural revival, study GAA/Irish League (like last year's) or Douglas Hyde/W.B Yeats involvement (year before that)

learn or have a quick read about the after treaty debates in the dailits pretty straight forward but it could fit in nicely if they near a question towards the end bits of the treaty :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭shootie

Anyone doing America? What have ye studied? :/

LBJ+Vietnam war, the post war economic boom, foreign policy, moon landings. Think I should be fairly safe with those, I reckon a domestic question could come up (i.e McCarthyism etc.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭andrew369

What's your essays your doing?

Hoping for Nazi propaganda/Weimar Germany and Hitler's rise to power/Lenin for European, Anglo Irish Treaty for Ireland and NI welfare state/Brookeborough and O'Neil/Coleraine and Apprentice Boys.
    And then France or Ketanga doesn't really matter to me which.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 abrobin

I'm studying:

Soveirgnty and Partition:
    1913 Lockout + Strike
    1916 Rising
    Anglo Irish Treaty
    Fianna Fail and Cumann na nGaedhael
    And maybe Rise of Second Sinn Fein party if I have time tomorrow.

Dictatorship & Democracy:
    Nazi Propaganda (especially Nuremberg Rallies)
    Rise of Facism
    Show Trials
    Maybe Britain and Weimar Germany.

Northern Ireland:
    Apprentice Boys
    Coleraine Controversy
    Sunningdale Agreement
    Brookeborough & O'Neill. (More Brookeborough though as I believe O'Neill came up last year.)
    Welfare State
    And maybe NICRA if I do have time.

That's it, with Session of Katanga and Race Relations in France. I predict Katanga will come up but I wouldn't mind which one does to be honest, they're both nice.
    Anyway, good luck everyone tomorrow!

• Advertisement

Knew since first year that I was dropping History and seems I've made the right decision from everyone talking about it! The titles of the essays even confuse me!
    Good luck everyone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭SeanyboyQPR

abrobin wrote: »
    I'm studying:

Soveirgnty and Partition:
    1913 Lockout + Strike
    1916 Rising
    Anglo Irish Treaty
    Fianna Fail and Cumann na nGaedhael
    And maybe Rise of Second Sinn Fein party if I have time tomorrow.

Dictatorship & Democracy:
    Nazi Propaganda (especially Nuremberg Rallies)
    Rise of Facism
    Show Trials
    Maybe Britain and Weimar Germany.

Northern Ireland:
    Apprentice Boys
    Coleraine Controversy
    Sunningdale Agreement
    Brookeborough & O'Neill. (More Brookeborough though as I believe O'Neill came up last year.)
    Welfare State
    And maybe NICRA if I do have time.

That's it, with Session of Katanga and Race Relations in France. I predict Katanga will come up but I wouldn't mind which one does to be honest, they're both nice.
    Anyway, good luck everyone tomorrow!

Isn't the lockout in the movements for reform section??

Isn't the lockout in the movements for reform section??

That is actually very true! I don't know why I typed that, my brain isn't working properly at the moment, one less thing to do so! Thanks for pointing that out :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10 eoghaanM

Revision starts now after a 3 hour nap. 4 cans of red bull and 2 share size packets of doritos have to get me through 6 hours of study and a french exam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 236 ✭✭SecondMan

eoghaanM wrote: »
    Revision starts now after a 3 hour nap. 4 cans of red bull and 2 share size packets of doritos have to get me through 6 hours of study and a french exam

Worst thing you could have done. History is a subject you do not want to be drowsy and half asleep in.

• Advertisement

SecondMan wrote: »
    Worst thing you could have done. History is a subject you do not want to be drowsy and half asleep in.

Definitely, you need to be at your fastest and most-capable mindset.

we'll see, 3 hours sleep is manageable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

I have three essays prepared for topic 5, two for Topic 3 and one for European history topic 3. Aw lads

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Jamesunited

I have three essays prepared for topic 5, two for Topic 3 and one for European history topic 3. Aw lads

Haha I'm in the same boat sure its all about the rush of blood you get opening the paper trying to find your essays haha

Going with Sunningdale and Welfare State, Lenin and Jarrow, and Treaty negotiations and Rise of Sinn Fein. Katanga for documents or else its game over

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭aoifemcg94

eoghaanM wrote: »
    Going with Sunningdale and Welfare State, Lenin and Jarrow, and Treaty negotiations and Rise of Sinn Fein. Katanga for documents or else its game over

Im doing the same as you just im doing CnanG & FF economy policy for pursuit of soverngeity and partition.
    What you doing for America?

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭fishmahboi

I currently have Welfare State, Civil Rights Marches, Katanga, Sinn Fein, 1916, British Social Conditions and Propaganda in Germany. Hopefully I have enough to carry me through the exam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭mossy95

My expections have really dropped on this exam 2 weeks ago wanted a B3 now hoping for a C3 at least, history is defintley a subject you can't cram for

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭andrew369

This is the only exam I am really nervous for. Terrified none of the topics I studied will show up, and even when they do I am horrible at writing essays for history. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 36 LukeF96

I haven't studied enough for this to do great in. But in Ordinary level you can get around 50% without knowing your Short paragraphs or Essays, If you do the Document Q's and Part A's in Section 2 and 3 along with your project if you did well.
    As long as i pass I'll be happy with History.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 471 ✭✭Aeternum

This is actually my most dreaded exam because even though I love the subject I left it on the back shelf for a while :/ anyway I've learnt..

Treaty Negotiations
    Civil War
    Consolidation of democracy (CnaG and FF)
    Ireland during WW2 (Belfast Blitz)

Welfare State
    Civil Rights Movements
    Coleraine (won't come up though)
    Sunningdale and power sharing executive

Nuremburg
    Rise of Nazis
    Show Trials
    Mussolini
    Stalin&Lenin economic policies

I would be so happy if the treaty and welfare state come up!! Don't really mind what comes up in D&D because I know that section better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 236 ✭✭SecondMan

Can someone please tell me how to structure a question that has the "two or more of the following" twist?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Sleeve

Any one doing the treaty negotiations and bombing of Belfast?

Can someone please tell me how to structure a question that has the "two or more of the following" twist?

Do 3. Same with "One or more" or "and/or" and it gives you two options, do the two.

If it says X or Y, do one.

If you were writing on 3 things i'd dedicate 2 paragraphs of significant info on each. If it was two, 3 each.

This will get me through it won't it? Case studies are definates

• Registered Users Posts: 33 The Cheesepoo

I'm in serious trouble for this. Barely know anything

Well image didnt attach .. I've Katanga , race relations, apprentice boys, coleraine , sunningdale agreements, negotiating a treaty, Eucharistic congress, n.i in Second World War , stallins show trials +purges, jarrow march and nazi propaganda + Nuremberg rallies

Well image didnt attach .. I've Katanga , race relations, apprentice boys, coleraine , sunningdale agreements, negotiating a treaty, Eucharistic congress, n.i in Second World War , stallins show trials +purges, jarrow march and nazi propaganda + Nuremberg rallies

You might just get lucky with the treaty. I'd go over the FF/CnG and a aspect of their government (economic/anglo-irish relations) just to keep safe. The Eucharistic Congress came up for the past few years as the cultural question, can't see it coming up ahead of cultural identity again. I don't do your other topics so I can't really say.

• Advertisement

shootie wrote: »
    You might just get lucky with the treaty. I'd go over the FF/CnG and a aspect of their government (economic/anglo-irish relations) just to keep safe. The Eucharistic Congress came up for the past few years as the cultural question, can't see it coming up ahead of cultural identity again. I don't do your other topics so I can't really say.

But isn't there 3 case studies for each topic in which 1 always comes up? If that's the case I'm covered I think

Advertisement