Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**2013: History - Before/After **

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Captain Hman

For the economic challenges facing the irish government question could you of of written about the
    Shannon scheme, the protectionism, the great depression and the economic land war with Britain ?
    Cause thats what I did and a few more topics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭matTNT

0mega wrote: »
    Are you serious?

You cannot learn two essays for a section (which is what I was commenting on) and think that you're covered, particularly when only one is a case study.

Hate to say I told you so...My three first choice essays came up. History is THE most predictable subject that I do.

In saying that it didn't go spot on for me, I wrote the following:

Irish Economy - 4 pages
    1913/Land Question - 5 pages - Possibly got 100 marks(I had this really well prepared)
    British Economy - 3 pages
    Document - 2 pages for the 40 marker

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭dizzymenace

For the economic challenges facing the irish government question could you of of written about the
    Shannon scheme, the protectionism, the great depression and the economic land war with Britain ?

yeah ,that all the stuff i wrote about . i split it up into 1.industry 2.agriculture 3.social 4.trade

• Registered Users Posts: 15,286 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

yup, i left out shannon scheme, mentioned the rest and how dev set up the economy for the future by taking on neutraility when war broke out in 1939

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Captain Hman

yeah ,that all the stuff i wrote about . i split it up into 1.industry 2.agriculture 3.social 4.trade
    Yeah same i wrote about the coal-cattle pact, and how
    cumman na gael main economy policy was agriculture in
    constrast to fianna fails. Also discussed the Anglo Irish agreement.

I did the Motor Car question and the Home Rule question as well.
    Home Rule was simple thank god I revised the 1885 general election
    and Parnell phew...

• Advertisement

SecondMan wrote: »
    I felt the US history questions were diabolical.

ah come on now . i thoughtthe racial conflict question was so nice , 45to68 . thats almost everything

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭aoifemcg94

Was there a question on why Sunningdale fail or what?

Yeah same i wrote about the coal-cattle pact, and how
    cumman na gael main economy policy was agriculture in
    constrast to fianna fails. Also discussed the Anglo Irish agreement.

I did the Motor Car question and the Home Rule question as well.
    Home Rule was simple thank god I revised the 1885 general election
    and Parnell phew...

i didnt like the look of that HR question . before i went into the exam i said to a friend that they always give date parameters now on HR , never again will a question range from 1870 to 1891 . i studied land and lockout and in a double whammy , both came up in thesame essay

andrew369 wrote: »
    Irish section was horrible, really vague question on pre civil war sinn fein and no case study. Ended up leaving it and focusing on Northern Ireland, Europe and the document (woo Katanga).

i did like that katanga . i only glanced at the contextualistion and started writing thinking it was only about international involvement , i thought it was a nice question and to makeit easier , after taking a 2nd glance i saw you could talk about the reasons for secessions also . piece of cake

Aksa94 wrote: »
    How much did ye compare land and strike and lockout. I only did it at start an finish and covered lockout in between. Is that ok

more or less the same here . it was a strange match up , i dont think it would be a big problem seeing as how they only did so to discourage people from predicting the lockout , (100 years this year)

• Advertisement

for america , i thought cuba would come up (50th anniversairy) then after the OL irish a comprehension on fk came up because of his death in 1963 so i thought they were going to ask a question on his presidency

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭bitburger

C2 got me writing about the missile crisis

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Legion.

Irish section was horrible, really vague question on pre civil war sinn fein and no case study. Ended up leaving it and focusing on Northern Ireland, Europe and the document (woo Katanga).

Could swear there was a question on how WW2 affected North and South, surely that takes in the Belfast Bombings (Case study) ?

Legion. wrote: »
    Could swear there was a question on how WW2 affected North and South, surely that takes in the Belfast Bombings (Case study) ?

you could do the essay all on north and then add in a para on how the south helped by sending fire trucks up north

• Registered Users Posts: 5 quickdraw megaw

I did this question and focused on how Anglo-Irish relations were very strained after WW2 and the lack of dividend given to Ireland from America afterwards compared to other european countries. I also said the Union was a lot stronger afterwards and the British introduced the welfare state as a means of thanks (NI included) to its citizens. Also talked about free state economy stagnating after WW2 whilst NI economy prospered. Handy enough essay, I also threw in a few titbits about smuggling and rationing along the border and of course those ubiquitous firemen from Dundalk, Drogheda and DunLoaghaire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭andrew369

Oh yes didn't think of that one, yeah Belfast bombing would be a case study alright. You guys think it is still possible to get a C3 since I left out a whole 100 mark question? Considering my project and document where very good with 2 decent essays.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 ameliaaaaa

Guys, how many marks go for the 2 questions in q3? Just realised reading here that I left out the one about the strengths and weaknesses of a cartoon :( I'm hoping for an a1 and everything else went well, this isn't going to throw me off is it? I think I'm being a bit melodramatic here but I don't know !

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Legion.

Oh yes didn't think of that one, yeah Belfast bombing would be a case study alright. You guys think it is still possible to get a C3 since I left out a whole 100 mark question? Considering my project and document where very good with 2 decent essays.

Did you really leave out a full 100 marks? Wowza. I suppose its very possible, especially if you left a full question the examiner will try hard to bring you as high as possible I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭rugrats

Dammit. I never did anything on international involvement in Katanga.... Does Belgian influence count? The only thing I mentioned was a sentence on the cold war in the conclusion. I never even mentioned the UN.... :( I really wanted an A1 in History. Royally f**ked now

• Registered Users Posts: 36 LukeF96

That actually went much better then I had expected. I'm chuffed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 quickdraw megaw

rugrats wrote: »
    Dammit. I never did anything on international involvement in Katanga.... Does Belgian influence count? The only thing I mentioned was a sentence on the cold war in the conclusion. I never even mentioned the UN.... :( I really wanted an A1 in History. Royally f**ked now
    That question was only 20 marks. About 2.5 per cent of the exam.
    I got mixed up in the previous question about the sources regarding International reflection. Said source A didnt reflect Int reflection and Source B did. I thought the question was badly worded and could be implying different things.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Keggers2

Katanga
    Lockout/Land agitation.
    Economic Challenges 1922-39
    Characteristics of a Fascist state.

I want to take that paper home, and have paper babies with it. I'll even cheat on that sexy English Paper 2 I've been seeing.

Couldn't be happier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭andrew369

Did you really leave out a full 100 marks? Wowza. I suppose its very possible, especially if you left a full question the examiner will try hard to bring you as high as possible I guess.

Yep I am just that good at history :P I have serious timing problems with history since I physically just cannot write fast enough. Hopefully they will be generous considering the detail in the other 3 questions. Thought it was better to do 3 questions to good quality than have 4 short rushed, waffley ones. Looking back on it would never have taken history if I had known how different it was in comparison to the Junior Cert which I got an A in. But ah well what is done is done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 236 ✭✭SecondMan

That question was only 20 marks. About 2.5 per cent of the exam.
    I got mixed up in the previous question about the sources regarding International reflection. Said source A didnt reflect Int reflection and Source B did. I thought the question was badly worded and could be implying different things.

The question he's talking about is the Q4 I think. Not a document question

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭ynwa14

I have never been happier with a paper. Even better than English paper two.

Un and Belgium influence counts as international

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭SeanyboyQPR

ynwa14 wrote: »
    I have never been happier with a paper. Even better than English paper two.

Same, Couldn't be happier! Last time I was this happy with a history exam I got a b2, and that was leaving out the mini essay on the documents section! Hopefully got the A this time around!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69 ✭✭olazbabes

I was disappointed that that in LAME_Sunningdale, nuremberg prpaganda and belfast case study did not come up-. Anglo Irish relations again. They seem to be obessesed with anglo irish and eomon devalera as a questions. heads up for next years class. Overall it was ok i have done most essays before I really need a B as my course in DCU is 450 min.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Misteree

I think I rightly ****ed myself over, had to bring out knowledge I didn't know I had in my mind to string together some essays. Probably gonna get a C but I'm capable for much better. Listen kids, never rely on predictions! My own fault really!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69 ✭✭olazbabes

Yes it is possible

Advertisement