Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**2013: History - Before/After **

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 MadScone08

I was completely thrilled with the paper. But i have a few questions, for the economy of FF and CnG does it have to be half and hald because i did.3 and a half on CnG and only 2 on FF?

For the impact of developments on education, housing and healthcare was that essentially just the welfare state which was all i did anyway with one para on coleraine.

And finally for fascist regimes, i know the "s" implied both Mussolini and Hitler but do the have to be discussed to an equal.extent? for example in.each para of propaganda, law and order and church state relations i talked about hitler for maybe 80% of it while just mentioning auld Benito at the end. Would this matter at all as i did not study italy to any extent but had characteristics of nazi germany learned off? Really need the A1 here :/

• Registered Users Posts: 25 JOS2013

Was as good a paper I could've hoped for. Easy document, welfare state, Britain between the wars with a bit of WW2 and CnG + Dev.
    For the economic policies I kept thinking a bit left field. Did anyone else mention the boundary commission and partition meaning the south lost the industrial heartland of the northeast? Or saving money by cutting the army to 23000 leading to the army mutiny?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭SeanyboyQPR

JOS2013 wrote: »
    Was as good a paper I could've hoped for. Easy document, welfare state, Britain between the wars with a bit of WW2 and CnG + Dev.
    For the economic policies I kept thinking a bit left field. Did anyone else mention the boundary commission and partition meaning the south lost the industrial heartland of the northeast? Or saving money by cutting the army to 23000 leading to the army mutiny?

I mentioned the loss of the North and how Brennan and McElligott encouraged Blythe and Cosgrave to focus on agriculture as 670,000 of the 1.3m workforce were employed in it. Then I compared the agricultural policies of each Government :/

• Registered Users Posts: 9 AR95

JOS2013 wrote: »
    I had paragraph on expenditure on the civil war and got the army mutiny in there. i also mentioned cancelling the war debt to britain in that paragraph

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

matTNT wrote: »
    Hate to say I told you so...My three first choice essays came up. History is THE most predictable subject that I do.

In saying that it didn't go spot on for me, I wrote the following:

Irish Economy - 4 pages
    1913/Land Question - 5 pages - Possibly got 100 marks(I had this really well prepared)
    British Economy - 3 pages
    Document - 2 pages for the 40 marker

The Anglo-Irish Treaty and Moon Landing were both widely tipped, didn't appear.

Anglo-Irish relations came up two years in a row. No one would've predicted the other NI questions that came up. Apprentice Boys case study asked specifically two years in a row.

Lots of people got caught out in my school. History is not a subject that you can solely rely on predictions for! Learning the Irish case studies in depth and nothing else would've left you with nothing to answer on this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 ConorIsCool18

in Europe Topic 3, characteristics of facist state, I said minipulation, propaganda and terror as the characteristics. I talked about mussolinis Church and State relations and how he used the church as a tool and ran out of time at the end so only got one paragraph in for terror on stalin, Would talking about the manipulation of the church by mussolini to gain popularity and build a foundation for propaganda and using the anti-catholic church campain by gobbels as an example of propaganda be ok? Just checking cause when i looked and seen a was running shirt on time i paniced and basically **** out a 3 page essay

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Sucette!

I don't mean to butt in but I'm just finished 5th year now and have always wondered about writing in the history exam?

I know the documents are different next year we are doing Sovereignty and Partition but other than that its pretty much the same,

By the time im finished writing 3 essays and answering document questions (esp Contextulisation), I find that my writing goes completely downhill, like by the end of the essay just legible (barely) my teacher says that's fine, what matters is you've got it all done on paper, my writing is normally small and neat but it gets about twice the size and an essay that I write for homework that's 4 pages can turn out to be 7 pages in an exam situation.

Should I work on trying to write neater under time pressure or is it one of does things that doesn't matter too much as my teacher says every time I question her on it.

Thanks guys :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 ConorIsCool18

Belfast case study did come up it was the impact of WW2 on north and south, and you could have brought Nuremberg into the characteristics of fascism question, thats what i did.

You have to be sly, I studied Church and state really well so I brought that into the last question too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭shootie

Sucette! wrote: »
    I don't mean to butt in but I'm just finished 5th year now and have always wondered about writing in the history exam?

I know the documents are different next year we are doing Sovereignty and Partition but other than that its pretty much the same,

By the time im finished writing 3 essays and answering document questions (esp Contextulisation), I find that my writing goes completely downhill, like by the end of the essay just legible (barely) my teacher says that's fine, what matters is you've got it all done on paper, my writing is normally small and neat but it gets about twice the size and an essay that I write for homework that's 4 pages can turn out to be 7 pages in an exam situation.

Should I work on trying to write neater under time pressure or is it one of does things that doesn't matter too much as my teacher says every time I question her on it.

Thanks guys :)

As someone who got just got caught for time today, all I can say is to try and just get the important information down that's relevant to the question. Don't do for example what I did with Katanga and actually name some of the mercenaries that fought for them (thanks Mike Horare) thinking you're the ****. Just plan around 8-10 paragraphs and work from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Aksa94

i didnt like the look of that HR question . before i went into the exam i said to a friend that they always give date parameters now on HR , never again will a question range from 1870 to 1891 . i studied land and lockout and in a double whammy , both came up in thesame essay

How did your land and lockout look. We're u comparing in each paragraph. I had like a page opening comparing them, then did lockout for about 2 and a half pages and another 3 quarters if a page comparing at end. Is that ok

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Parawhore.xD

Aksa94 wrote: »
    How did your land and lockout look. We're u comparing in each paragraph. I had like a page opening comparing them, then did lockout for about 2 and a half pages and another 3 quarters if a page comparing at end. Is that ok

I said in my introduction that they were both so different and concerned such polar aspects of Irish life that you had to asses them seperatly before you could compare them. So did about 2-2.5 pages on each then a long comparing conclusion. Hopefully that's what they're looking for!

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭aoifemcg94

What did people put in their essays about race relations?
    Could ya talk about the freedom riders. funch counters, small ethnic groups etc...?
    And also Montgomery ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 236 ✭✭SecondMan

aoifemcg94 wrote: »
    What did people put in their essays about race relations?
    Could ya talk about the freedom riders. funch counters, small ethnic groups etc...?
    And also Montgomery ?

They mentioned "developments" so I presume you'd have to write about Acts that were brought in as well.

SecondMan wrote: »
    They mentioned "developments" so I presume you'd have to write about Acts that were brought in as well.

AHHH **** it no ! :( you mean like the civil rights ones and the voting one ya?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 LEAVINGMAD

Anybody do the Stalin question and feel themselves waffling a bit about the showtrials consolidating power....? Like I literally just kepy using that sentence to sum up my point haha it felt so rushed near the end :/

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Aksa94

If you numbered a question wrong would u get deducted marks. I think for USA I numbered it question 1 but did question. It seems like something so trivial to get deducted gor

AHHH **** it no ! :( you mean like the civil rights ones and the voting one ya?

Yeah. And the foundation of NICRA and stuff. But you might get away with just mentioning events as they too kind of were developments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

olazbabes wrote: »
    I was disappointed that that in LAME_Sunningdale, nuremberg prpaganda and belfast case study did not come up-. Anglo Irish relations again. They seem to be obessesed with anglo irish and eomon devalera as a questions. heads up for next years class. Overall it was ok i have done most essays before I really need a B as my course in DCU is 450 min.
    I hate to tell you this - but all three did come up

Northern Ireland -
    Q.2 on Faulkner includes the Sunningdale Agreement and the collapse of power-sharing

P of Sov
    Q. 4 Impact of WW2 on North and South - includes the Belfast Blitz

Dic & Dem
    Q. 1 Characteristics of the fascist states - includes propaganda which includes the Nuremburg Rallies.
    Q. 4 on Leni Riefenstahl - includes the Nuremburg Rallies.

Aksa94 wrote: »
    If you numbered a question wrong would u get deducted marks. I think for USA I numbered it question 1 but did question. It seems like something so trivial to get deducted gor
    You shouldn't - but it is always a good idea to actually write the essay title at the top of the page

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭CrashBandicoot Girl

I just realised I really messed up, I read the question wrong instead of doing charateristics of facist state I did characteristics of origins of facism. Will I get any marks? Im really upset because history was my best subject :(

• Advertisement

I just realised I really messed up, I read the question wrong instead of doing charateristics of facist state I did characteristics of origins of facism. Will I get any marks? Im really upset because history was my best subject :(
    You will get Cumulative marks from each paragraph where you provide information that is relevent to the characteristics of the fascist state - but you are unlikely to get many Overall Evaluation marks as you did not adress the question that was asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭CrashBandicoot Girl

I think I wrote for origins about weak democracy, poor economy, people being upset after WWI, strong leadership and anti communist. So are you saying Ill get marks for the paragraphs on communism and strong leadership?? Do you know itll be much marks?? Sorry for all the questions!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 david1010

i basically did an essay on the anglo irish treaty for anglo irish relations as i just knew the case studies is that 0 marks?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Straight Talking Online Frank

david1010 wrote: »
    i basically did an essay on the anglo irish treaty for anglo irish relations as i just knew the case studies is that 0 marks?

unfortunately it probably will be as the question was from 1922-1939.

SecondMan wrote: »
    Yeah. And the foundation of NICRA and stuff. But you might get away with just mentioning events as they too kind of were developments.

You mean NAACP ya ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭SeanyboyQPR

America was a dirty old hooooar of a section, but by god when I remembered Truman was president for Berlin Blockade and Korean War I had her bent over!

I think I wrote for origins about weak democracy, poor economy, people being upset after WWI, strong leadership and anti communist. So are you saying Ill get marks for the paragraphs on communism and strong leadership?? Do you know itll be much marks?? Sorry for all the questions!
    each topic that you discuss is marked out of 12 marks.
    david1010 wrote: »
    The essay was - How did Anglo-Irish relations develop under Éamon de Valera, 1932-1945?
    So the timeframe was 1932-1945 - the examiner might give you some background marks for the Anglo-Irish Treaty but the maximum would be 12 marks.

If you just knew the case studies then a better question would have been Q. 4 about the impact of WW2 on the North and South where you could have discussed the Belfast Blitz.

You mean NAACP ya ?

Yep damn history confusing me...

• Registered Users Posts: 9 garycreaton

i got to say thanks to this forum. before the exam i went and had a look at predictions just to see and saw welfare state. i studied it and it came up was delighted! :) de valeras input aswell anglor irish relations, thanks again to this forum! :D

• Advertisement

i got to say thanks to this forum. before the exam i went and had a look at predictions just to see and saw welfare state. i studied it and it came up was delighted! :) de valeras input aswell anglor irish relations, thanks again to this forum! :D

You can thank me. Thread creator here an all - no don't be silly a payment is not necessary..your gratitude is worth more <3

Advertisement