Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**HL Irish Paper II - Before / After **

• 07-06-2013 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭

I'm hoping for Oisín, Geibheann and a character question in An Triail!
    What is the predictions for the paper? And for the Aiste?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Magziiee

AndreaEgan wrote: »
    I'm hoping for Oisín, Geibheann and a character question in An Triail!
    What is the predictions for the paper? And for the Aiste?

An lasair choille for pros and the gathering for an essay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Leaving Cert Student

Does anyone have sample answers for the prose? Oisin, hurlamaboc, gnathrud, dis or lasair choille?

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Raeral

I'm pretty much just gonna try winging the prose and poetry on the day :L it's only worth like 5% anyway, not even worth the time it takes to study all of them!

What about the genre question in the comprehension though? Our teacher never did that with us at all so I've no clue what to talk about in it. Any ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

Do you think they could ask to identity the tuiseal ginideach in Q6 part of comprehensions?
    Sometimes I find it hard to understand it! :/

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Bonbon1995

any tips for ceist a 6 on the comprehension??

• Advertisement

David1994 wrote: »
    Do you think they could ask to identity the tuiseal ginideach in Q6 part of comprehensions?

Yeh I'd say its pretty likely to come up. Last year I think they asked for it in both comprehensions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

David1994 wrote: »

does anybody understand TG? Our Irish teacher is our year head, at our grad mass she made a speech and said "of all the memories I have this year, there's one that stands out to me. Groaning over a certain piece of Irish grammar" she couldn't even finish it because she was laughing so we all exploded laughing, roaring "tuiseal ginideach!!!"
    :pac:

peekachoo wrote: »
    does anybody understand TG? Our Irish teacher is our year head, at our grad mass she made a speech and said "of all the memories I have this year, there's one that stands out to me. Groaning over a certain piece of Irish grammar" she couldn't even finish it because she was laughing so we all exploded laughing, roaring "tuiseal ginideach!!!"
    :pac:

Everyones worst enemy. :P
    Like sometimes I can identify it but I don't really know the proper rules behind it.
    Oh god I might need to look over it tonight then :L

I think the easiest thing to do is just know the different places it arises and hope for the best. There are only like six different times you need to use it:
    1) Phrases using 'of' eg back of the house - cúl an as opposed to teach
    2) Phrases using 's (possession) eg peann Sheáin as opposed to Seán
    3) After quantities ie more, less some eg níos mó airgid as opposed to
    airgead
    4) When using the present participle (-ing) ie ag... eg ag imirt peile as
    opposed to peil
    5) When two nouns come together the second noun changes eg clár
    teilifíse as opposed to teilifís
    6) And finally, after all the double prepositions (eg i gcoinne, ar feadh etc) and
    some of the single ones (eg chun, trasna etc) eg timpeall an domhain
    as opposed to domhan

Thanks for the help! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

Anyone need a 2 minute irish crash course? haha,

yournerd wrote: »

Didn't think that was possible :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Leaving Cert Student

How does one avail of this

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Acciaccatura

Raeral wrote: »
    I think the easiest thing to do is just know the different places it arises and hope for the best. There are only like six different times you need to use it:
    1) Phrases using 'of' eg back of the house - cúl an as opposed to teach
    2) Phrases using 's (possession) eg peann Sheáin as opposed to Seán
    3) After quantities ie more, less some eg níos mó airgid as opposed to
    airgead
    4) When using the present participle (-ing) ie ag... eg ag imirt peile as
    opposed to peil
    5) When two nouns come together the second noun changes eg clár
    teilifíse as opposed to teilifís
    6) And finally, after all the double prepositions (eg i gcoinne, ar feadh etc) and
    some of the single ones (eg chun, trasna etc) eg timpeall an domhain
    as opposed to domhan

Yes, ONLY six :P It's a pain in the backside, but I think I get it in a way I can't really articulate, like the way I don't understand English grammar but use it anyway :pac:

Well I just wanted to help anyone that might be worried over Gaeilge cause it is the national language and it is important and easy to do well in.
    Paper 1, DO THE DEBATE. The introduction and conclusion will take up a page so like that's less mistakes you will make on the day and it's more focused on too so you won't go off topic.

For any School essay don't LIST stuff, like if you're going to be talking the Coras OideachaIs don't talk about the excellent facilities as that's way too easy and VERY OL level.
    For the listening, write EVERYTHING you hear because you get 3 marks for the 'Full' Answer and can loose 2 marks for not writing the full address or whatever and there's a grammar mark of 3 so again try to get your hearing as excellent as possible :P
    For Paper 2 don't focus on the Pros and Filiocht too much, the poem is on the paper so you haven't got a reason not to quote and pros is just like an Achmoirle for every question, DONT FORGET YOUR 4 POETS, name their recent works, a bit about them and their personal life :)
    It's only 5% of the paper like?
    But the comprehensions are like 100 markers so focus focus focus! For Q6 it's 15 makes so make sure you include lots of adjectives. Usually there's 3 questions.......
    Cineal litriocht
    Cineal duint
    agus learmhas/dearcadh na sleachta.
    Make sure you use saorbhriathar and try to write a good few points for this :)

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭AndreaEgan

Well I just wanted to help anyone that might be worried over Gaeilge cause it is the national language and it is important and easy to do well in.
    Paper 1, DO THE DEBATE. The introduction and conclusion will take up a page so like that's less mistakes you will make on the day and it's more focused on too so you won't go off topic.

For any School essay don't LIST stuff, like if you're going to be talking the Coras OideachaIs don't talk about the excellent facilities as that's way too easy and VERY OL level.
    For the listening, write EVERYTHING you hear because you get 3 marks for the 'Full' Answer and can loose 2 marks for not writing the full address or whatever and there's a grammar mark of 3 so again try to get your hearing as excellent as possible :P
    For Paper 2 don't focus on the Pros and Filiocht too much, the poem is on the paper so you haven't got a reason not to quote and pros is just like an Achmoirle for every question, DONT FORGET YOUR 4 POETS, name their recent works, a bit about them and their personal life :)
    It's only 5% of the paper like?
    But the comprehensions are like 100 markers so focus focus focus! For Q6 it's 15 makes so make sure you include lots of adjectives. Usually there's 3 questions.......
    Cineal litriocht
    Cineal duint
    agus learmhas/dearcadh na sleachta.
    Make sure you use saorbhriathar and try to write a good few points for this :)

Thank you! :D
    I know you said not to focus on the pros and filiocht but have you got any predictions for it? I can't believe ts only worth like 5% for the amount you have to do!

Thank you! :D
    I know you said not to focus on the pros and filiocht but have you got any predictions for it? I can't believe ts only worth like 5% for the amount you have to do!

I'm thinking Oisin and spailpin fanach for some reason :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

You know if it asks to find an example of the tuiseal ginideach in the comprehension, do you write just the word that is in the genitive case or the word before it too that made it into the genitive?

E.g let's say you find one and it's : "Muintir na hÉireann" , in your answer would you just put "hÉireann" or else the three words "Muintir na hÉireann" ?

It seems to make sense that you'd put in the three words in the above example.. just wondering to be sure?

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭AndreaEgan

I'm thinking Oisin and spailpin fanach for some reason :)

Okay cool thanks :) I was thinking Oisín too!

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭NellyDean

Okay cool thanks :) I was thinking Oisín too!
    Also heard Oisin! Spalpín or mo ghra-sa

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Lucan Bohs

it is the national language and it is important and easy to do well in.

Don't see why doing well in Irish is any more important than the other subjects we do?

Maybe it's just me but I don't find the subject easy. It's basically a foreign language so there's new words, verbs, grammar etc to be learnt all the time.

Lucan Bohs wrote: »
    Don't see why doing well in Irish is any more important than the other subjects we do?

Maybe it's just me but I don't find the subject easy. It's basically a foreign language so there's new words, verbs, grammar etc to be learnt all the time.

It's a foreign language to me too cause I'm from Russia hahahahaha.

You put in the 3 words and if it's asking for a reamhfhocal you only out the 'an'

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Lucan Bohs

It's a foreign language to me too cause I'm from Russia hahahahaha.

You put in the 3 words and if it's asking for a reamhfhocal you only out the 'an'

Than why is it "important" to do well? :pac:

Lucan Bohs wrote: »
    Than why is it "important" to do well? :pac:
    It's the first result you,l see ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 46 lizardspock

Anyone have a brief note on Padraig Mac Suibhne for the poetry?:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭LpPepper

Anyone have a brief note on Padraig Mac Suibhne for the poetry?:)

Rugadh Pádraig Mac Suibhne in Ard na Rátha, Co. Dhún na nGall sa bhliain 1942. Bhain sé céim amach sa Ghaeilge agus sa stair. A shaol caite aige mar mhúinteoir agus mar phríomhoide. Dar le léirmheastóirí, pléann sé cúrsaí an tsaoil i slí an-simplí greannmhar ina chuid litríochta. I measc na leabhar dá chuid a foilsíodh tá “Taibhsí na Chreagáin”, “Spaisteoireacht” agus “Solas Uaigneach”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

Lads what would ye suggest per question for Irish paper 2 (HL)? My exam papers very helpfully say "rogha an dalta"!

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Parawhore.xD

Lads what would ye suggest per question for Irish paper 2 (HL)? My exam papers very helpfully say "rogha an dalta"!

Is there enough time for mark a minute?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Watching under 20's rugby as gaeilge counts as aural practice right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Legion.

Do you mean time or length? We were told roughly a page and a half for the Prose and the Filiocht, then two pages for an Triail

Advertisement