Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**HL Irish Paper II - Before / After **

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

Legion. wrote: »
    Do you mean time or length? We were told roughly a page and a half for the Prose and the Filiocht, then two pages for an Triail

I mean time.

A mark a minute would leave you 15 minutes short.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭Colinoneill

5% for poetry = 25 mins and 4mins to check
    5% for prós = 25mins and 4mins to check
    6.66% for Gafa or an triall or whatever = 33.3mins and 5mins to check
    16.66 for reading comps = 83.3mins and 5 mins to check

• Registered Users Posts: 21 The Man They Couldnt

Hey, I am quite happy with my progress in irish at the moment but this is one thing thats bugging me...

for q6 in the comprehensions part a usually asks to find some specific grammar thingy but the problem is I basically learned irish from speaking it and dont know the technicalities at all. is there a finite list of what can come up? I think id be better off learning them off at this stage...

And then for part b does anyone know all the types of writing that can come up as ghaeilge like informative, reportive etc.? And also a list of personality traits if anyone has them would be handy for this q?

cheers to anyone that helps me out, really dread q6 every time!
    I also have this problem, my Comprehensions are fine other than Question 6's, Any help?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Evertonianbhoy

Could someone help please on what storys could come up on tomorrows paper including poetry thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭LpPepper

How much should I write for each section?

My teacher said 1.5 for poetry, 1.5 for pros and 2 for An Triail. What would be deemed enough? Some people were saying 30 marks = 30 lines etc..?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭internet_user

they have only been examined once so its hard to predict, id say last years- hurlamabloc and thearrach thiar would be unlikely

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Raeral

LpPepper wrote: »
    How much should I write for each section?

My teacher said 1.5 for poetry, 1.5 for pros and 2 for An Triail. What would be deemed enough? Some people were saying 30 marks = 30 lines etc..?

Nah that should be fine I'd say, around what I'm hoping to do as well. They are only worth like 30 marks each so they don't expect you to write too much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 120 ✭✭evancunny95

Any tips for answering the comprehension,
    What type of questions do they usually ask us in q6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 120 ✭✭evancunny95

Yeah I struggle with this,need to do well in this tomorrow seeing as I have not got a clue for poetry or pros.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭11Charlie11

In the front of the edco exam papers they have a diaspoireacht on the education which came up today.. then for the prose the have bealodis in oisin and the poem is geibhinn... they might be right!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 The Man They Couldnt

Can someone please give me an Idea how to answer Question 6's in the Comprehensions? O

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

Who thought Irish PII and Biology in one day was a good idea? Would they not have put up Irish & German or something.. seriously..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Leaving Cert Student

Does anyone have notes/sample essay on this yolk?

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Lucan Bohs

:
    0mega wrote: »
    Who thought Irish PII and Biology in one day was a good idea? Would they not have put up Irish & German or something.. seriously..

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

Hi Leaving Cert Student, it's me, Scuid Mhór!!

Hi Leaving Cert Student, it's me, Scuid Mhór!!

Jaysus Scuid Mhór you've an awful small Scuid there.

Anyone have any decent notes on poets/prose? Are people learning stuff off for this? There is so much to do for a measely 16% it is horrible

• Registered Users Posts: 8 mary.odriscoll

Any tips on Higher Irish paper 2 tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Acciaccatura

I'd say there's a fair chance of Oisín (or Cáca Milis) coming up tomorrow, to contrast with last year's Hurlamaboc. If Oisín comes up, then I doubt they'd put Spailpín on it as they're both old, anonymous pieces of literature, so I'd say the poem would be Géibheann, Colscaradh or Mo Ghrása.

I was right about imirce and/or Gaeilge coming up, if that means anything to people relying on predictions :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭buyer95

Anyone have any decent notes on poets/prose? Are people learning stuff off for this? There is so much to do for a measely 16% it is horrible

I have a superficial knowledge of the poems as they'll be in front of us tomorrow, no point learning off answers for q's for a 30 marker broken up into 3 parts IMO. I've more done for prose as its a straight 30 mark question but I wouldn't say I know the prose back to front. If you can do well in the comprehension a that'll carry you a long way tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭kevin12345

Does anyone have any websites that could help with the grammar for Q6? We haven't done any of it in class? Thanks. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

So happy I'm not counting Irish, I could have spent all night learning off an triail quotes but instead im going in tomorrow and making up the whole exam :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭SeanyboyQPR

Has anyone got any notes on this? Bit of an emergency!

Are we meant to quote the prose and the 40 marker text? Also can I answer comprehension in the words of text no manipulation whatsoever?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

Are we meant to quote the prose and the 40 marker text? Also can I answer comprehension in the words of text no manipulation whatsoever?

you don't need to quote the prose, although you need to quote from an triail, a thig or whatever you're doing! And yep the comprehension answers can be copied and pasted from the text - a curse in disguise, I always choose the wrong sentence! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭AndreaEgan

Has anyone any predictions for An Triail tomorrow? For poetry and Pros I'm going with Oisín and Geibheann :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Leanne12

How much are the pros/poetry worth? :/

I'm winging this.
    Níl ach saol amhain agat!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

what do people need help for Q6? :) im studying and it wil help me too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Okay, let's see if I can shed some last minute wisdom from what I remember of last year. :P

Poetry: It's a pain, but know your authors and a tiny bit of biographical info on them. This only occurred to me 5 minutes before I went out the door for Irish PII, and it actually came up! Know the technical words and the themes as well as you can.

Prose: Maybe it was because Hurlamaboc was pretty much the only one I studied and it was always my favourite story, but I found the questions are pretty broad and you can twist them to suit yourself. But again, for 30 marks they're not expecting masterpieces.

An Triail: I remember going up to my teacher in April and asking her when we'd be doing the more detailed stuff...she told me all you needed to do was Maire, her mam, Pádraig and the theme of betrayal and society in the '60s. I was pretty horrified because I didn't see how that could be true, but I wasn't arsed to do anything about it, and she was right, 40/40. :pac: Make constant reference to the question too. Pretty sure I wrote something along the lines of "and therefore we clearly see hypocrisy / suffering here" and they wrote FM every time. I think they count the FMs at the end to judge what mark to give you, so remind them of the fact that you're keeping to the point.

Comprehensions: Firstly don't reword them! Unless it says "Bíodh na freagraí i d'fhocail féin", there is no need. All there is to answering them is a basic understanding of the text and picking out the answers.

Regarding Q6, if they asked for a genitive I always wrote it like "mála scoile" to show I knew which was in the genitive case. If they ask for a dative case (probably the only one they'd ask besides genitive), then it's things with a H caused by a dative preposition (like ar). I actually can't remember the accusative case in Irish, but the vocative is the only other one they might ask, which is almost certainly not coming up because of the fact that it's when you're addressing someone - e.g. "A Sheáin".

If they ask the type of passage, you can really say anything as long as you back it up. Personal - they use the I form or maybe they recount memories. Factual - goes without saying, "there are facts such as dates and names". Historical - was it set in the past? I'm pretty sure they aren't picky.

Okay this post went on longer than I planned it to. :pac: Hopefully it's of some use despite the exam being so soon. Good luck everyone. :)

Advertisement