Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**HL Irish Paper I - Before / After **

• 07-06-2013 5:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭

Does anyone think bullying is a likely topic? I have major cramming to do for the Irish essay!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

Doubt it. DO THE DEBATE!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47 BubblegumBitch

• Ireland Today (As my teacher calls it, the 'Omnibus' Essay) - Crime, Unemployment, Recession, The Gathering, Education System, Health System
    • Education System
    • Health System
    • Crime
    • Recession
    • The Gathering
    • The Media

Am I covered? :/ Note that I am not very good at paper 1 and am relying on my oral, comprehensions and 'Gafa' questions to gain me marks! Looking for a C3 (minimum) / C2 (preferably)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

Feeling so laid back about Irish :D
    Approximating I got about 25/40% in the oral, im only gonna learn an ghaeilge, education and media! I'm not counting Irish in my points so I have no problems with making up a half assed essay on the spot :D

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭AndreaEgan

yournerd wrote: »
    Doubt it. DO THE DEBATE!

What do you reckon is coming up for the debate?
    • Ireland Today (As my teacher calls it, the 'Omnibus' Essay) - Crime, Unemployment, Recession, The Gathering, Education System, Health System
    • Education System
    • Health System
    • Crime
    • Recession
    • The Gathering
    • The Media

Are those your essay topics? I'd imagine you have covered pretty much everything there! I would love a broad essay as in 'problems in society today', we could literally throw everything in!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 cremeeggeater

Still haven't got the knack of studying for the essay, do most people just learn essays off by heart or vocab or what? My brain is just a black hole, refusing to remember anything....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭HPMS

I've covered everything bubblegumbitch has + problems on the road, homelessness, bullying and old people. Hoping I'll be covered, but you never know! I would die for an A in irish but it really depends on what my oral mark was :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭HPMS

Still haven't got the knack of studying for the essay, do most people just learn essays off by heart or vocab or what? My brain is just a black hole, refusing to remember anything....

I dont really learn anything, I just remember vocab for each topic, a seanfhocal or two but I never learn essays off by heart, the morning of the exam I'll have a quick glance over the ones I've written up until now.

I would love something easy like: "Na fadhbanna is mó inár sochaí inniu" ... That would be a dream essay! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭outnumbered

So this paper approaches.....
    Have to learn off my essay (note the singular!)
    The thing about this exam is the over abundance of time! It always makes me feel weary. I think once my essay is done I'm gone to study last minute Biology!
    Immigration/recession and maybe, depending on how my other Study this weekend, Some Media/youth stuff! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Leaving Cert Student

Does anyone have any irish sample answers for the prose section? I am absolutely screwed for it

• Education System
    • Health System
    • Crime
    • Recession
    • The Gathering
    • The Media

Am I covered? :/ Note that I am not very good at paper 1 and am relying on my oral, comprehensions and 'Gafa' questions to gain me marks! Looking for a C3 (minimum) / C2 (preferably)
    Christ! most definitely covered!!! I am going for a C too and just learning the Recession/Immigration/Internet +youth
    And I am just going to do 2 poems and 1 story! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭kevin12345

• Education System
    • Health System
    • Crime
    • Recession
    • The Gathering
    • The Media

More than covered. :) Plus, I think Crime and Health System came up last year. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 80 ✭✭ChromosomeT

hey there i've an irish scéal prepared but i'm not too sure if it would be off high enough standard for an A. I was wondering if anyone would care to read over it and give me some advice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 80 ✭✭ChromosomeT

lads I've a scéal done out on the theme of éadochas / díoma etc all along those lines but i'm not sure if it is enough to get a decent high mark. would anyone care to look over it and possibly give me a few pointers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

Does anyone have an essay/debate/whatever on the importance of Irish / Media in today's world ? Would really appreciate it! I have one on eisimirce if someone wants to trade. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭11Charlie11

Is the aural before or after the written? :)
    I have yet to learn an essay! :(

Good q... How will the aural take place in a big hall? surely they wouldnt have several tape recorders going at once?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Before! Which is REALLY annoying as it starts at 2, about the time that the mass exodus from CSPE begins.

Slow Show wrote: »
    Before! Which is REALLY annoying as it starts at 2, about the time that the mass exodus from CSPE begins.

Just put your hand up if you can't hear it.
    Tape is the start of Paper 1. I'm hoping for at least 50 in that as I have been getting nearly full marks in all the past ones recently (all the first time I've heard them)
    For an essay, I have so much notes on loads of topics that I don't even know where to begin.
    I feel my standard of Irish could BS me a C on the essay though hopefully! :cool:

Good q... How will the aural take place in a big hall? surely they wouldnt have several tape recorders going at once?

We have our exams in about 15 different classrooms with only 8 in each! :D
    For the whole leaving like! I'd hate to have it in a hall!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 django 123

Are people learning essays off or just writing them in there? Could not be bothered learning anything off unless anything highly specific is predicted in HL? Also just out of curiosity did anybody else's oral examiner tell them their score? I know that they aren't supposed to but mine did

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

Don't be bothered with the Pros and Filiocht, focus on the leamthuisicnt and aiste :)

15 examiners? what a joke to the tax system that is, we have about 150 in one hall and only three examiners

• Registered Users Posts: 25 JOS2013

I've got Sport, The economy and Young People done. Will one of them come up somewhere?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

So this paper approaches.....
    Have to learn off my essay (note the singular!)
    The thing about this exam is the over abundance of time! It always makes me feel weary. I think once my essay is done I'm gone to study last minute Biology!
    Immigration/recession and maybe, depending on how my other Study this weekend, Some Media/youth stuff! :)

Our plans are identical!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

How I would LOVE that, the Leaving cert is the first exam I've taken in a hall since my first year entrance exam :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭Dropping No Eaves

What is your approach to the aural? I used to listen through once carefully taking in what was going on, then fill in the answers on go 2 and 3 and it was perfect! Now the eejits have cut it to 2 gos, and I'm very worried I'll miss out on loads of answers! I mean, 10% is quite a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Legion.

Try and get the answers both times its played. But instead of writing them in full during the recording, write them short hand and fill them in during the breaks. Only thing I can think of really.

I did a really good oral. I am only looking to pass Irish so if i did the listening, the comprehensions, an essay (i'm learning uneployment/immigration and media/youth), attempted everything else but didn't learn it, There's a god chance of passing isn't there?

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Legion.

If you did all of that, and even tried the pros/filiocht questions with whatever Irish you have you'd nearly be closer to a C at least..

• Advertisement

Legion. wrote: »
    If you did all of that, and even tried the pros/filiocht questions with whatever Irish you have you'd nearly be closer to a C at least..
    Great to know! I did that in my mocks without the oral and got 57%!

Advertisement