Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**HL Irish Paper I - Before / After **

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭outnumbered

woopah92 wrote: »
    Am I the only one who got so bored towards the end that they counted their words?

502 bam!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭FrankLamar

Just completed bullsh*tted my way through Coras Oideachas but all in all it was okay saying I learned basically nothing :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

Thank you, Córas Oideachais!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 90 ✭✭jessiblah

How long were your essays? I did A - a (the life one). It was six pages.. My friends all did between a page and a half, and six and a half, with most at three and a half.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Hirish

Did anybody else find the listening very fast??? Anybody else do aiste no.5??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

That really couldn't have been much simpler, even though none of the essays I have ever written matched any of the titles. Despite never having written either a talk or an essay on education I went with it anyway and managed to get nearly 4 pages out of it so I'm happy with that. Even the aural was a doddle compared to others I've done. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭kevin12345

Mine was 3, 570 words! Wasn't pushed about writing too much more than that, they only ask for between 500-600 after all! I just hope my Irish was good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭hitchcock

Hirish wrote: »
    Did anybody else find the listening very fast??? Anybody else do aiste no.5??

What did you write about for aiste number five? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭RabbitHearted

beautiful, beautiful paper :D
    i won't complain about the irish system again, even though i just wrote a 6 1/2 page essay claiming it was as data agus seanfaiseanta :P
    delighted with it to say the least.
    i was in a really good mood though, cause just before the papers were given out our teacher came up to the door(glass door) and gave us all a big thumbs up and cheesy smile :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 113 ✭✭Sporty_Kate

Will I be marked down for doing 1015 words?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Raeral

kevin12345 wrote: »
    Mine was 3, 570 words! Wasn't pushed about writing too much more than that, they only ask for between 500-600 after all! I just hope my Irish was good enough.

F*****ck! And there was me trying to be all high and mighty with my 800 :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭HPMS

Anyone do the essay on emigration?? :) thought mine was really good! Got like 5 1/2 pages in total so happy with that! :)

hitchcock wrote: »
    What did you write about for aiste number five? :)

I twisted my gathering essay around?? It's what I had prepared best! Ireland as a holiday resort??? Seemed to fit in ok. Anybody else?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 ele1992

I twisted my gathering essay around?? It's what I had prepared best! Ireland as a holiday resort??? Seemed to fit in ok. Anybody else?

I did that too :P

Oh great! I wasn't too sure exactly what the title meant! Got 4 pages so happy with that! Anybody predications for tomorrow's paper???

I'm so relieved! That's exactly what I did! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Flowerpoppy

Praise The Lord imirce came up!!! Didn't ramble too much about 700/800 words max!

Now what's the predictions for tomo....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Lol great paper. Listening was fairly straightforward, had so much choice for the essay but settled on imirce, brought in the gathering as a solution after talking about how awful immigration was for about three pages, wrote looooads all in all but it was all fairly high-standard, grand old paper, let's hope Paper 2 continues along the same vein!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

HPMS wrote: »
    Anyone do the essay on emigration?? :) thought mine was really good! Got like 5 1/2 pages in total so happy with that! :)

"No need to write more than 500-600 words"

No offence but five pages could piss an examiner off and it leaves so much room to lose grammar marks.

Although the fact you can so much suggests you're outstanding. :)

Edit: you didn't even write much compared to some people on here! haha I take back pissing off a corrector!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭11Charlie11

jessiblah wrote: »
    How long were your essays? I did A - a (the life one). It was six pages.. My friends all did between a page and a half, and six and a half, with most at three and a half.

What did you write about for that aiste? :)

• Advertisement

Do you think aiste 5 was aimed for the gathering?? Was a great paper, a lot of options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭HPMS

John.Icy wrote: »
    "No need to write more than 500-600 words"

No offence but five pages could piss an examiner off and it leaves so much room to lose grammar marks.

Although the fact you can so much suggests you're outstanding. :)

I've always written about that amount, and so far I've never not gotten lower than an A *fingers crossed* It's not like I rambled or anything - I split it up into three points - reasons for emigration, influences it has on Ireland today and then the solution+ some nice seanfhocail etc. I hope they don't mark me down but I went over it afterwards and didn't seem to make many grammar mistakes! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 90 ✭✭jessiblah

What did you write about for that aiste? :)

I did the one on life and things that affect you or are important to you or something (the first one).

I wrote about my friends, music (apparently I'm an amazing musician), my radio show, the Internet, Irish, Eoghan McDermott, my imaginary boyfriend Nath that I've been with for two years apparently, health and exercise, and relaxing. Apparently I go to Mayo to practice Irish with my imaginary boyfriend and we're going to live there when we're old. :P

What did you do? :)

Do you think aiste 5 was aimed for the gathering?? Was a great paper, a lot of options.

Well I adapted aiste five to the gathering, but not completely. Isn't that what you did? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭Dropping No Eaves

jessiblah wrote: »
    I did the one on life and things that affect you or are important to you or something (the first one).

I wrote about my friends, music (apparently I'm an amazing musician), my radio show, the Internet, Irish, Eoghan McDermott, my imaginary boyfriend Nath that I've been with for two years apparently, health and exercise, and relaxing. Apparently I go to Mayo to practice Irish with my imaginary boyfriend and we're going to live there when we're old. :P

What did you do? :)
    Ugh, I translated that as things that ANNOY me.

Woe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 402 ✭✭Tommyrawr

Well I adapted aiste five to the gathering, but not completely. Isn't that what you did? :confused:

I did imirce :D delighted with how the paper went, listening was grandest!
    Wrote 3 and a half pages, threw in an tostal at the end for a solution to the problem of it today.

Was done in 40 mins :)

No I adapted it like you. Just wondering did they expect us to mention the gathering?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

I did the debate.. Was really handy, it was basically a rant about politicians! :P In that debate you could mention any social problems/emigration/Education system problems, and just relate them all to the politicians in power. Extremely handy! Such a selection of essays though, we were spoiled for choice :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

The Gathering as aiste 5. Hmmmpf. Too risky. Would be better suited to the imirce essay.

Unless you dealt with what they asked you aswell.

• Advertisement

No I adapted it like you. Just wondering did they expect us to mention the gathering?

Okay. No, I doubt they expected us to mention it but its fully applicable to the question. I'd say a lot of people prepared the gathering but failed to realise that one could actually adapt it to that essay title. :):D

Advertisement