Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**HL Irish Paper I - Before / After **

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭shawnanana

Ah here.. all yee with your 5 and 6 page essays and me here delighted with my 2 and 3/4 page one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

Writing 5-6 pages is a really bad idea.. the more Irish you write, the more potential for mistakes, the more marks for Gaeilge you will lose.

I know what's done is done now but I just don't understand that..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭HPMS

0mega wrote: »
    Writing 5-6 pages is a really bad idea.. the more Irish you write, the more potential for mistakes, the more marks for Gaeilge you will lose.

It all depends on your standard of Irish though,if you make very few grammar mistakes as it is then the length of your essay shouldn't pose a problem.

Generally, if you are able to write long essays you gave a fairly good fluency in Irish and grammar.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 thisguy145

Was the first essay topic stuff that effect you in life?

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Lucan Bohs

Not really. If you don't write enough then you'll lose marks for writing nothing rather then lose marks for grammar mistakes. They say 500-600 words but that'd need to be a high standard of Irish I'd imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Lc20133

Ok i did the aiste on emmigration, i talked about how there used to be emmegration long ago and things picked up and it stopped with the celtic tiger, but nowdays it back, i talked about how crime and drugs make ireland a unideal country which cause emmegration , also how parent realise the high level of underage drinking and leave with their familys to countries with better standerd of living and then i talked a little about recession and lack of jobs , finally i mentioned these problems must be overcome to stop emmigration. I wrote 5 pages. Just wondering will i get the majority off the marks with that??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Meh. I did nearly 6 pages and read over it three times. I have a high standard of Irish and a rather wide vocabulary, and I think this would've shone through with the fact that I could write so much. Obviously I could've missed a few but I don't think I made very many mistakes in those pages. Different strokes for different folks, I do know six was excessive and possibly a bit pointless but there's no need to come on and say, hours after the exam, that it was a terrible idea either. People are stressed enough as it is without that. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 22 thisguy145

Slow Show wrote: »
    Meh. I did nearly 6 pages and read over it three times. I have a high standard of Irish and a rather wide vocabulary, and I think this would've shone through with the fact that I could write so much. Obviously I could've missed a few but I don't think I made very many mistakes in those pages. Different strokes for different folks, I do know six was excessive and possibly a bit pointless but there's no need to come on and say, hours after the exam, that it was a terrible idea either. People are stressed enough as it is without that. :P

I wrote 3 and 3/4 of a page I thought I was delighted with myself, so if you wrote nearly 6 fair play to ya :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Leaving Cert Student

The first question in the listening... sclêap or something??

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Acciaccatura

The first question in the listening... sclêap or something??

Scléip, it's another word for fun, I think there actually is some small Irish organisation by that name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Leaving Cert Student

Scléip, it's another word for fun, I think there actually is some small Irish organisation by that name.
    Damn would scléap get it do ya think?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Hirish

Oh I think I wrote scaip? :(

Damn would scléap get it do ya think?

Ah yeah, sure once you've written something that would sound like it, they'd give you it, they don't dock marks for spellings of names if the gist of it is there :)

Hirish wrote: »
    Oh I think I wrote scaip? :(

Don't worry about it, I'm sure you'd get something :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭kevin12345

I actually wrote that down! I honestly thought I was making up a word or something. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

kevin12345 wrote: »
    I actually wrote that down! I honestly thought I was making up a word or something. :P

Yeah that's correct :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

Slow Show wrote: »

Sorry, you're right! I didn't think of that. I was just shocked by how much it was. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1 sianconway

The HL paper was absolutely lovely, in my opinion. I was delirious when I say the piosa cainte on the education system; I honestly thought they wouldn't put something as generic on for HL. I've done that essay at least three times since February so it was a great advantage.
    The listening was good, too. In class, I often struggled with them, but I think this one went very well.
    Fingers crossed that paper 2 goes well for everyone!

Advertisement