Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New St Stephens Green SC Interior design

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

I like it.

SSGSC does look dated, like a huge grandiose PVC conservatory.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Horrible. Absolutely horrible. It could be any identikit shopping mall anywhere in the world. At least the original conservatory design had a bit of character. I've never been in one even remotely like it in the world & I really like that about it. Would be sad to see it get an over haul that makes it look like every other generic shopping centre in the world. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Reminds me of the Whitewater in Newbridge. Not a good thing btw, that kip is the most soulless shopping centre I've ever entered.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

donvito99 wrote: »
    I like it.

SSGSC does look dated, like a huge grandiose PVC conservatory.

Reminds me of the bird cage in Jurassic Park 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Awful design but from the management´s point of view the location must appear quite out-dated as a retail space. It does seem like an under-utilised location, given its proximity to Grafton St. No doubt the rents will be much higher when re-developed.

The current layout is rather interesting though - it has a kind of panopticon effect where the visitors can see almost all of the shopping spaces at the same time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

New design looks like a swimming pool or something.

I'm not averse to change, but the unique old timey eccentricity of the current look is its whole charm for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

I don't mind giving the place an aul face lift, or changing the layout to freshen it up a bit or maximize revenue, but change for changes sake is just stupid imo. I don't see why it looking like an giant conservatory is necessarily a bad thing. The Great Palm House in the Botanic Gardens is nothing but a giant conservatory too, and yet you don't see anyone in a great rush to tear that down.

Love the term panopticon. That is one of is charms too imo. Love being able to see all floors at once. It gives it a lovely feeling of openness and airiness that the more closed in shopping centres never have.

Can't believe how pissed off I am at the notion of this change to it. I went to school on St Stephens Green. A large part of my teenage years were spent under the roof of the Stephens Green Shopping Centre, so I am probably more biased against change than most.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

It's beyond me why anyone would even consider ripping out the current interior for this sh*t. Stephen's Green is fantastic. It's so unique. You always see tourists taking photos of it - I guarantee no one is going to be photographing this soulless crap.

Also those artist's renditions always look three times as good as the finished work so take that into account.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

Really nice building i hope they don't change it. Shop choices are pretty sh1t though :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,685 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I like the current New Orleans look.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

ProudDUB wrote: »
    The Great Palm House in the Botanic Gardens is nothing but a giant conservatory too, and yet you don't see anyone in a great rush to tear that down.

I don't know what to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Is it a real project, or just someone playing with rendering software?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

A recent Irish Times article stated that the shopping centre is to be renovated with a 10 screen cinema on the upper floor(s?). I don't think that fits in with the rendering, which is why I wonder the same thing as the poster above.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,050 ✭✭✭OU812

I recall reading years ago, that the ironwork on the outside can be just unbolted to reveal a fresh appearance.

It could do with a little revamp, but I'd go as far as new public paving surface & signage for the stores, maybe introduce some tall palms into the middle of it to complete the conservatory appearance.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Leave it as it is, it has character unlike 99% of shopping centres.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Aard wrote: »
    A recent Irish Times article stated that the shopping centre is to be renovated with a 10 screen cinema on the upper floor(s?). I don't think that fits in with the rendering, which is why I wonder the same thing as the poster above.

my understanding is that the cinema is going in on top at the back - not interfering with the existing space.

The centre's problem is that they do not have the big units that are attractive to the international retailers - Grafton street is poor in that regard as well and the the shopping centre should seek to take advantage. The mix of tenants is poor. I like the current feel of the place as much as anyone and I would favour a rejig that didn't impact the aesthetics to any great degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭liffeylite

uberwolf wrote: »
    my understanding is that the cinema is going in on top at the back - not interfering with the existing space.

The centre's problem is that they do not have the big units that are attractive to the international retailers - Grafton street is poor in that regard as well and the the shopping centre should seek to take advantage. The mix of tenants is poor. I like the current feel of the place as much as anyone and I would favour a rejig that didn't impact the aesthetics to any great degree.

Yes, you are correct. The reason for the overhaul is to create space for larger retail units- particularly fashion stores.

There are a number of fashion retailers looking for space in the south city centre but they cant get units big enough. I believe the small kiosks in the Stephens green centre on the ground floor are being removed and some larger units built in their place. I would assume there will be the combining of some of the units to make larger spaces also.

The cinema is going in at the top, so doesn't affect the rest of the centre. there will also be more cafes and food options going in.

Yes it should be very possible to do a rejig of the units without interfering with the conservatory-feel aesthetics. Demand for larger-floorplate units in the immediate is high, as evidenced by the amalgamation of two units further down Grafton. Nespresso are also going through planning permission to create a large shop beside Davy Byrne's. Apple never located in the area because the shops were too small. Some Dawson St premises are being snapped up do to their redevelopment potential.

If Stephen's Green SC can capitalise on the demand for larger shops while retaining the charm and character of the centre then they'll be onto a winner.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Jumboman

Stephens Green Interior is like walking into a 1980s time warp.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,336 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Horrible. Absolutely horrible. It could be any identikit shopping mall anywhere in the world. At least the original conservatory design had a bit of character. I've never been in one even remotely like it in the world & I really like that about it. Would be sad to see it get an over haul that makes it look like every other generic shopping centre in the world. :(

I guess you've never been in Whiteleys in London on which (I believe) it was based. Whiteleys is named after and built on the site of the first department store.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

all these calls for larger space. Has HMVs old premise been sold yet? (not arguing, just curious)

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭richardjjd

You may have hurt the designers feelings - that link isn't working.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

EyeSight wrote: »
    all these calls for larger space. Has HMVs old premise been sold yet? (not arguing, just curious)

Was lying vacant on weds night anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I've always loved SSG, I love that it's old fashioned. I hate the modern cookie-cutter sameness of all the new builds. I find Dundrum Centre soulless and a bit claustraphobic, but SSG has always been so open and airy.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭liffeylite

Aard wrote: »
    Yes it should be very possible to do a rejig of the units without interfering with the conservatory-feel aesthetics. Demand for larger-floorplate units in the immediate is high, as evidenced by the amalgamation of two units further down Grafton. Nespresso are also going through planning permission to create a large shop beside Davy Byrne's. Apple never located in the area because the shops were too small. Some Dawson St premises are being snapped up do to their redevelopment potential.

If Stephen's Green SC can capitalise on the demand for larger shops while retaining the charm and character of the centre then they'll be onto a winner.

good points made here.

Creation arcade is also being rebuilt to avail of larger floor plates for retailers.

Mr.S wrote: »
    I never got why the quality of shops inside where not on par with grafton street etc, its the perfect location.

The units are too small.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭ScottSF

I really like it the way it is, though of course it can use some freshening up to make it shine even more. But changing the design completely is silly and completely unnecessary. It is a unique and quaint shopping centre (not a "mall" which is usually soulless). The current design is old fashioned yes, but historic looking and certainly tourist friendly. Americans don't come here to shop at an identical shopping mall with the same boring stores (OK well some do but that's a sad story). I truly hope they leave the style as is but do a bit of layout and design improvements to bring in more retailers and liven up the shopping atmosphere.

The biggest thing in my opinion is to add more benches. There is never a place to sit except around the eating areas. A rooftop patio and foot court (partially covered of course) would also be a much welcome addition for views over the park and Grafton Street.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

ScottSF wrote: »
    I really like it the way it is, though of course it can use some freshening up to make it shine even more. But changing the design completely is silly and completely unnecessary. It is a unique and quaint shopping centre (not a "mall" which is usually soulless). The current design is old fashioned yes, but historic looking and certainly tourist friendly. Americans don't come here to shop at an identical shopping mall with the same boring stores (OK well some do but that's a sad story). I truly hope they leave the style as is but do a bit of layout and design improvements to bring in more retailers and liven up the shopping atmosphere.

The biggest thing in my opinion is to add more benches. There is never a place to sit except around the eating areas. A rooftop patio and foot court (partially covered of course) would also be a much welcome addition for views over the park and Grafton Street.
    I agree with this, there really is nowhere to sit and people end up sitting outside La Croissanterie or Johnnie Cupcakes or in the food court for a rest, eating nothing - which doesn't look good for those shops.

The area where the Asian buffet is, is completely under-utilised, it is a lovely spot with the big window walls looking out at the green and the top of Grafton Street. If it was a proper cafe/restaurant with decent food, I'd be there a lot more :)

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭ScottSF

It would be great if Boards.ie had a feature (button) called "Send this Thread to [the company/person in charge]". That way a set of posts that contain real and useful feedback can easily be forwarded to the people in charge. I feel doubtful that the owners of the shopping centre (for example) ever find this helpful feedback. Plus they might want to respond or post a Survey/Poll about the topic to gather even more feedback from people that want to be heard! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

ScottSF wrote: »
    It would be great if Boards.ie had a feature (button) called "Send this Thread to [the company/person in charge]". That way a set of posts that contain real and useful feedback can easily be forwarded to the people in charge. I feel doubtful that the owners of the shopping centre (for example) ever find this helpful feedback. Plus they might want to respond or post a Survey/Poll about the topic to gather even more feedback from people that want to be heard! :)

It's not helpful to them. They want to make money and in its present form the shopping centre isn't making intensive enough use of the space available to it. It's outdated and can't charge rents on the top end of the scale. It will lose its unique character, yes, but the owners may well go laughing on their way to the bank and that's all that matters.

Advertisement