Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New St Stephens Green SC Interior design

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Speedsie wrote: »
    Think it was 1988 for the 'Aluminium' Year...
    ;)
    miamee wrote: »
    Was just about to say '88 alright :D
    It was a complete 'white elephant' at the time it opened and subjected to much ridicule especially considering the country was on its knees. If I recall correctly it took a couple of years to take off.

(I like the fact that it seems to be a skanger-free zone - unlike Ilac, Dundrum, Blanch, Quarryvale, Square, Northside etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

GS062_Pizzaland.preview.jpg

Here's a 1990 image with an very quiet Grafton Street - I'd love to know where the photographer was placed to take this!

I used to meet an old girlfriend in Pizzaland - how sophisticated!:o

(Note South King Street was still open to traffic).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

They could certainly add some more escalators to it, its a bit unintuitive to navigate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

dmcg90 wrote: »
    They could certainly add some more escalators to it, its a bit unintuitive to navigate.

I had a friend who worked as an architect designing shopping centers and she said that it's the norm to hide escalators and lifts - you want the customers to walk around levels on their way up or down in order to notice/browse more shops. Due to safety norms though, stairs/lifts need to be there so typically if you look around you will see a hidden door/side passage with escape route and you can use the stairs there. They just won't expose them in the middle of the space; they want to force you to spend time wandering.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

mhge wrote: »
    I had a friend who worked as an architect designing shopping centers and she said that it's the norm to hide escalators and lifts - you want the customers to walk around levels on their way up or down in order to notice/browse more shops. Due to safety norms though, stairs/lifts need to be there so typically if you look around you will see a hidden door/side passage with escape route and you can use the stairs there. They just won't expose them in the middle of the space; they want to force you to spend time wandering.

I get the logic of that, and I suppose all the mall designers and architects out there have the data on shopper habits and market research to back it up. But in the shopping centres that I go to, most of of what I need tends to be in the anchor stores on the ground floor. I'll take a wander up to the upper floors for a browse, if there are escalators conveniently located around the mall, relatively close to where I am already shopping. I won't if I have to trek to the other end of of the shopping centre to get to one, or search around for lifts & stairs. Am I the only person who is like that? :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

ProudDUB wrote: »
    I get the logic of that, and I suppose all the mall designers and architects out there have the data on shopper habits and market research to back it up. But in the shopping centres that I go to, most of of what I need tends to be in the anchor stores on the ground floor. I'll take a wander up to the upper floors for a browse, if there are escalators conveniently located around the mall, relatively close to where I am already shopping. I won't if I have to trek to the other end of of the shopping centre to get to one, or search around for lifts & stairs. Am I the only person who is like that? :o

Charlestown is a great example of this... You come up one end of the escalator and the down one is on the opposite side. Makes sure you see most, if not all shops.

Advertisement