Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**HL Maths Paper 2 before/after**

• 07-06-2013 8:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭

Hopefully this paper is even nicer than Paper 1. In the mocks I always did better here!
    So here's the line up:
    Co-ordinate Geometry- Line and circle.
    Trigonometry
    Geometry
    Theorems
    Constructions
    Probability
    Statistics.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Leaving Cert Student

Anyone havve a list of the things to be learnt off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

any predictions for the constructions? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

peekachoo wrote: »
    any predictions for the constructions? :)

Judging by the standard of paper one, they'll probably ask us to draw a straight line using a ruler or something. :P

This should be grand. Anyone got tips for stats & prob though? We rushed through them there at the end of the year..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭kevin12345

Judging by the standard of paper one, they'll probably ask us to draw a straight line using a ruler or something. :P

This should be grand. Anyone got tips for stats & prob though? We rushed through them there at the end of the year..

http://studynotes.ie/leaving-cert/maths/mathematics-leaving-certificate-hl-pdf-notes/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+studynotesie+%28StudyNotes.ie%29

The statistics is actually quite good, the first statistics link has all the definitions we need to know. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

kevin12345 wrote: »

Our teacher gave us those notes, she put them on our USB sticks.. The ones I have looked at are quite good. :)

Has all the definitions? That's perfect! Thank you! I plan on spending all day Sunday doing sample papers, didn't have an opportunity to do that for paper one because of the beast that is Geography. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 CoolDudesJunk

So.. anybody going to study for Irish?

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭ctbfashion

Did anybody else do paper one on white paper rather then the pink exam paper in higher level I'm panicking here.

Am I the only one who finds Co-Ordinate geometry of the circle absolutely impossible to do in the papers? I skipped it in my mocks and in most of the sample papers. It's just a whopper 25 marker and I just get so lost, don't even know where to start.
    All in all, this is my strong paper, got 260/300 in the mock (even though a 10 mark q was marked wrong when it was right) Looking forward to see what they'll throw at us this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭DH2K9

ctbfashion wrote: »
    Did anybody else do paper one on white paper rather then the pink exam paper in higher level I'm panicking here.

I did my extra attempts on white paper. I've been told you are allowed do it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭outnumbered

Okay so this is where i'm getting a little confused, Which theorems can come up in that q6 thing?
    Also, now that the exams are coming up altogether, finding the balance between each subject is proving difficult! :/

One more question, Do we need to be able to find the "carthesian equation" if a circle. i.e. given two parametric equations x and y, find the cartheian equation of the ciorcal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Okay so this is where i'm getting a little confused, Which theorems can come up in that q6 thing?
    Also, now that the exams are coming up altogether, finding the balance between each subject is proving difficult! :/

One more question, Do we need to be able to find the "carthesian equation" if a circle. i.e. given two parametric equations x and y, find the cartheian equation of the ciorcal?

11,12,13 - the one about the parallel lines making equal intercepts on any transversal, the one with similar triangles having sides in the same ratio and the parallel lines, parallel line to two sides of a triangle cuts the sides of a triangle in the same ratio. The carthesian equations are old course, they're not on Project Maths, no worries.

Anyway, question, do we need to know anything about inverse trig graphs? I'm positive we've never touched them in class but just found something about the domains and ranges of them. :confused:

Slow Show wrote: »
    11,12,13 - the one about the parallel lines making equal intercepts on any transversal, the one with similar triangles having sides in the same ratio and the parallel lines, parallel line to two sides of a triangle cuts the sides of a triangle in the same ratio. The carthesian equations are old course, they're not on Project Maths, no worries.

Anyway, question, do we need to know anything about inverse trig graphs? I'm positive we've never touched them in class but just found something about the domains and ranges of them. :confused:

Great! so that's all that can be asked? :O

Do you mean sin^-1??? if yes, then no! :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

So is it just those 3 theorems, constructions and proof by contradiction that needs to be learnt off?
    Under estimated this paper.. All along it had been my better but I havnt touched it in so long coz I was concentrating on improving paper 1 :(

deise_girl wrote: »
    So is it just those 3 theorems, constructions and proof by contradiction that needs to be learnt off?
    Under estimated this paper.. All along it had been my better but I havnt touched it in so long coz I was concentrating on improving paper 1 :(

What do you mean proof by contradiction? Can that not apply to anything? How do you go about it? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

There are 21 proofs in total you need to be able to apply but not prove too, judging by the samples I don't think they come up in q6 but certainly in the big Trig/Geometry C&A question, yeah. Some are simple, like 'All angles in a triangle sum up to 180 degrees', other stuff from JC like 'The angle at the centre of a circle is twice the angle at any point of the circle standing on the same arc' and a few that were new to me. You can also be asked to define axiom, corollary etc. and perhaps give examples, not sure about that.

Slow Show wrote: »
    There are 21 proofs in total you need to be able to apply but not prove too, judging by the samples I don't think they come up in q6 but certainly in the big Trig/Geometry C&A question, yeah. Some are simple, like 'All angles in a triangle sum up to 180 degrees', other stuff from JC like 'The angle at the centre of a circle is twice the angle at any point of the circle standing on the same arc' and a few that were new to me. You can also be asked to define axiom, corollary etc. and perhaps give examples, not sure about that.

Yeah sometimes you don't realise you are answering about a proof, it's just basic math! :)
    Ohhh yeah would you by any chance have a list of the theory we need to know? Or where could i find it?
    I'm sure they'll also ask something about carrying out surveys too!

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭RML

Do we have proof by contradiction in Paper 2??? :eek:

RML wrote: »
    Do we have proof by contradiction in Paper 2??? :eek:

Yeah it is in one of the sample paper twos, it's a right peach though I would love to see it come up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

As far as the theorems go, the ones marked with the stars can be asked to be proven, the other ones we just have to know.

Link

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

What do you mean proof by contradiction? Can that not apply to anything? How do you go about it? ;)

Errm well its another proof(think theres a few ways of doing it) but youre basically saying if that is true well then all these things(stupid things that everyone knows are wrong) have to be right.. Then at the end its basically LOL JK that cant be right do that statements wrong. Personally think its stupid but its pretty handy

• Advertisement

Errm well its another proof(think theres a few ways of doing it) but youre basically saying if that is true well then all these things(stupid things that everyone knows are wrong) have to be right.. Then at the end its basically LOL JK that cant be right do that statements wrong. Personally think its stupid but its pretty handy

stupid? hah it's one of the most elegant mathematical proofs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

Anyone have any other useful links? My teacher rushed through the constructions..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 59 ✭✭Kingkumar

what about trig identity proofs..do we need to learn those? if so which ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭kevin12345

Here's an easy enough Proof by Contradiction. Not a fan of the one in the book myself.

http://www.educate.ie/solutions/HL%20Solutions/HL%20SPB%20Solutions/HLSPBSoln(P2Q6A).pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

How do you do get the correlation coefficient on the calculator? This is the calculator I use. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

How do you do get the correlation coefficient on the calculator? This is the calculator I use. Thanks.

MODE STAT 2 (Enter Data) AC SHIFT 1 5 3 =

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Parawhore.xD

Mode: 2:Stat
    2:A+BX
    Plug in your co-ordinates and their frequency (usually just 1)
    AC (clears it all which seems awful at first)
    5:Reg
    3:r

That's how it works for me with that calculator :)

I was just doing statistics exam questions. Is it just me or is it really easy? :O
    Let us pray that we get an easy paper!!!
    Also, you know for that question 6a? is that just one of those proofs on its own or stuff with it?
    Also, where can them constructions/transformations come up? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 46 lizardspock

Does anyone have the answer the probability question on 2010 paper? (it's page 232 edco papers). It says it's deferred material but my teacher said it's actually on our course, ended up quickly brushing over the central limit theorem on the last day of school!:confused:

• Advertisement

Does anyone have the answer the probability question on 2010 paper? (it's page 232 edco papers). It says it's deferred material but my teacher said it's actually on our course, ended up quickly brushing over the central limit theorem on the last day of school!:confused:

I don't have the answer but it's definitely on the course!
    You must use the central limit theorem if the sample size is less than 30 as otherwise it's not a normal distribution. If you have the Active Maths book, it's in the extra supplement they sent out. Do lots of questions from there and it isn't too bad! I will do this question when I'm revising it and put it up. :)

Advertisement