Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**HL Maths Paper 2 before/after**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

Good point. I'd just never done one that was outside the triangle. That being said though I'd only actually drawn each construction about once.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Raeral

Prodigious wrote: »
    Do we need to report the question as incorrect? If so, how do we?

I believe the teachers have the power to send in reports on things they feel we're too hard or unfair in the exam. I'm sure some of them have already sent in reports about the question and I highly doubt that there is anything we ourselves actually need to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭D_s

Raeral wrote: »
    It's actually the question about the ports Q8 that people are referring to as being incorrect. For that question you are talking about I believe I got 49 degrees and 131 degrees, although my memory is a bit hazy at this point.

Confirming 49 and 131 :)
    Ye know for the construction in 6A, the orthocentre. Was that supposed to be outside the triangle altogether because mine was, which I found highly unusual........ :L

Yeah it was miles outside the triangle! I wasn't so worried because they gave us a little hint by giving us loads of extra space to the left and below the diagram :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

The mother put me on the phone to the SEC *facepalm* and I told the woman on the phone about the boats question.
    She said she'll report it and if it is in fact a mistake it will be "taken into account" for the marking scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭D_s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 236 ✭✭SecondMan

You're mother may have been the difference of an A or a B, a B or a C, a C or a D. Thank you Mrs Prodigious, thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 LC 2013 SURVIVOR

Ye know for the construction in 6A, the orthocentre. Was that supposed to be outside the triangle altogether because mine was, which I found highly unusual........ :L

mine was well outside haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭Undeadfred

That ****ing arbolios questiong...
    There goes my A1. talk che

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Leaving Cert Student

Hypothesis accept or reject?

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭woopah92

Actually delighted with P2. I answered everything, and actually feel like I got most of it right too.
    Praying here that P2 will bring up my overall mark to a high B or low A. I need those extra points!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 carlos123455

I got reject :)

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Glee_GG

reject, .7 was just barely outside mine but it was still reject

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭woopah92

Yuus.
    I was thinking afterwards that maybe I had rounded off too early cause the range was so close to 70%.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sganyfx

If you round the numbers up you can accept, but I rejected and then stated that about rounding the numbers.

super happy with that! what exactly was it with the boats question that was wrong, I had a feeling that something wasn't quite right when I was doing it but I just went with it!

Statistic question was beautiful as were the shorts <3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42 uzzy_94

In Q7 where we had to choose between three graphs, did anyone else pick (ii)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

I accepted, but I explicitly stated that it was only acceptable if rounded to the nearest whole percentage, so hopefully I'll still get the marks.

What graph did ye say was correct?

I said (iii) because of the onboard expenditure (saying it was paying extra for exceeding baggage allowance)

Underneath I said if the onboard expenditure wasn't on extra baggage that it was probably normally distributed.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭yoppo

A I think... was this the bagging one your talking about?

I said the one that was normal distrubution because "since you don't have to pay the majority will fill it exactly to 20kg and not any more than that because you have to pay and people hating paying for stuff"!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭yoppo

I think I said by CLT it has to be normal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

I said the second one, as most people would try to get their bags to be in or under 20kg to avoid the excess baggage fees. So I assumed there would be way more under than there would over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭kevin12345

Was there another question where you had to say it wasn't a normal distribution because the mean didn't equal the mean? I can remember writing something like that.

Said the second one. More people are going to have baggage under 20kg and that one had most of the data under 20kg so I figured it was the right one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭Bionicle

Any questions that people want me to check out?

kevin12345 wrote: »
    Was there another question where you had to say it wasn't a normal distribution because the mean didn't equal the mean? I can remember writing something like that.

You had to draw a distribution curve for the ages and explain your reasoning. Because most of the mean was greater than the median the graph was positively skewed.

yoppo wrote: »
    I think I said by CLT it has to be normal.

CLT?

CLT?

Central limit theorem I believe. It's been deferred for three years though so we don't have to worry about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Bionicle wrote: »
    Any questions that people want me to check out?

Q8!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭RML

GOOD NEWS!!!!! :D

http://www.studentxpress.ie/ProjectMaths/HL2013AnswersP2.pdf

Q8 says that " This question contains a serious error. It is not possible to draw a triangle with such
    dimensions. Using different methods will yield different answers all of which are wrong because
    there are no right answers. Full marks will be awarded for this question."

Advertisement