Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**HL Maths Paper 2 before/after**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭giggsy664

Jackobyte wrote: »
    Damn that question 8 anyway. I had solved it with both sine rule and cosine rule and then proceeded to waste time trying to work out why there was a discrepancy, thinking I had slipped a sign or a figure. Put it into the calculator numerous times to check. Those extra few minutes could have made the difference regarding solving Q9 which I was left short for time wise.

Send them a complaint saying that it made you lose time, could result in a slightly more lenient marking scheme, for Q9 or maybe the whole paper! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

I don't know why everyone is getting so excited about this, has project maths though you nothing? (Actually best not answer that!) But if everyone gets 30 extra points the whole standard deviation curve will be shifted upwards (and potentially too many people getting A's etc as a consequence) and the SEC will do their very best to claw those marks back elsewhere. What the SEC giveth the SEC taketh…

• Registered Users Posts: 30 catherinek12

can someone please tell me which paper the mistake is on? (yes there is a mistake on one of the papers)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Missed it on the news, hope it'll pop up on rte news now!

never mind it was pass paper question 6 b

• Advertisement

I don't know why everyone is getting so excited about this, has project maths though you nothing? (Actually best not answer that!) But if everyone gets 30 extra points the whole standard deviation curve will be shifted upwards (and potentially too many people getting A's etc as a consequence) and the SEC will do their very best to claw those marks back elsewhere. What the SEC giveth the SEC taketh…

They might leave it though, everyone going up a grade makes project maths look good ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

Lads, kicking myself here.
    For the table with the areas of each circle yoke, I left out Pi.
    I also left it out of the formula for the area, and for the maximum area.

How much will I lose ? :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Prodigious wrote: »
    The mother put me on the phone to the SEC *facepalm* ...
    Lol, the Irish mammy, god bless her! :D

Calm down, everyone, you can take it for granted that the world and his mother (:pac:) has already told them, you don't have to keep emailing them etc.

Lads, kicking myself here.
    For the table with the areas of each circle yoke, I left out Pi.
    I also left it out of the formula for the area, and for the maximum area.

How much will I lose ? :(

Probably very little, maybe 1-3 marks for leaving out pi

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Acciaccatura

Solutions for those curious: http://www.studentxpress.ie/ProjectMaths/HL2013AnswersP2.pdf

What was the deal with the orthocentre question? It seemed so easy yet I couldn't get the perpendicular lines to hit a vertex, bar one :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 PaulR666

What's The story with the "impossible question 8" ? Apparently full marks are being awarded for it. Does everyone get them? Because I didn't attempt it as I didn't do the paper in chronological order. and in the end up ran out of time. Will I be able to get these marks? .

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭no scope codgod

PaulR666 wrote: »
    What's The story with the "impossible question 8" ? Apparently full marks are being awarded for it. Does everyone get them? Because I didn't attempt it as I didn't do the paper in chronological order. and in the end up ran out of time. Will I be able to get these marks? .

I doubt it; I'd say you would have to have the correct method for the question.

giggsy664 wrote: »
    They might leave it though, everyone going up a grade makes project maths look good ;)

Really I doubt it, both papers were quite easy (with a lot based on the sample papers they published) I could see them trying to bring down the marks rather than up this time around!

What annoys me about this mistake is that the question was one of the few proper 'maths' questions in that paper, now people who did work hard and knew their trig won't be rewarded any more than somebody who hadn't a clue and was just attempting for a partial credit!

didnt notice that til after i posted :O :L

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ConorMD

giggsy664 wrote: »
    Send them a complaint saying that it made you lose time, could result in a slightly more lenient marking scheme, for Q9 or maybe the whole paper! :)

Exactly. I think we should send in complaints to try and achieve a more lenient and more sympathetic correction!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

75/600 i passed maths hahaha.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

There's no need. You can be sure the Maths Teachers' Association and subject committees are already on the ball and they would carry a little bit more weight than an individual student.

Oh lord. Mammy emailed RTE and now theyre ringing me for an interview. Cheers mam, don't mind Oisín or the spailpín, they'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭RML

Oh lord. Mammy emailed RTE and now theyre ringing me for an interview. Cheers mam, don't mind Oisín or the spailpín, they'll be grand.

Wow :eek:

RML wrote: »
    Wow :eek:

"Shoutout to my boardsies"

• Advertisement

Shoutout to the boardsies that were the first to spot the problem id say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭Undeadfred

Destroy the SEC. Exaggerate the issue with the wrong question loads. Make them mark the paper so easy. Say it cost you dearly during the exam. Exaggerate the difficulty of the exam as well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭_rebelkid

Q9 was described by my class as "an ass rape".
    The rest of it was easy enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭11Charlie11

Make sure they know how much time was wasted on that question especially for a good student who prob kept getting frustrated and missed out on a lot of time for the last question!

I lost about 20 minutes like

ConorMD wrote: »
    Exactly. I think we should send in complaints to try and achieve a more lenient and more sympathetic correction!

Doesn't work like that, the SEC will adjust the marking scheme (multiple) times so that they get the normally distributed curve they want, like for example in Applied Maths I know that if the percentage of A's goes over 30% (which it did in 2010 causing lots of trouble) they throw on the brakes and start taking marks punitively, it happens in all the subjects especially in maths (though the percentage of allowed A's is comparatively much lower) our complaints won't change anything except full marks in Q8, which they have to give regardless now, the SEC will mark it whatever way suits them! They want every year to have a broadly similar proportion of A's, B's etc, unfortuately we won't get special privileges!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Don't overgild the lily, it will just make you sound like a whiny kid!

The issue will be dealt with in the normal way and to the advantage of the students anyway ... all RTE are concerned about is a "story", don't let them make you look foolish in the process of getting it. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 eoghaanM

How many marks was question 8 going for?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭PennyWise11

never mind it was pass paper question 6 b

It was Q8 on the Higher Paper !!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 LC 2013 SURVIVOR

eoghaanM wrote: »
    How many marks was question 8 going for?

30 marks

Advertisement