Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**HL Maths Paper 2 before/after**

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

Skype call, jaysus, didn't give me much room to talk. Said that it threw off the time, didnt get to say much else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭Undeadfred

Prodigious wrote: »
    Skype call, jaysus, didn't give me much room to talk. Said that it threw off the time, didnt get to say much else.

That's the most important thing. As long as you conveyed your displeasure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

lostatsea wrote: »
    I think it is important that everyone affected contact the SEC and make known your displeasure.
    By all means, write them a long email.

But do it AFTER your exams are over, or when you have a decent break in them ... for now, the right question is: "what exam do I have tomorrow?" ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Liesel

Does anybody know what the deal is with the 'Don't Know' information in this question? For part (b) I said that some of the 21 who didn't know whether their flight was delayed could have had it delayed so I got 231 over 1000 and then (231+21) over 1000 and divided by two to get the average of the two? Anywhere from 0 to 21 of the 'Don't Know' people could have had their flights delayed like? :confused: Same problem with the not satisfied with the service and this would have affected my hypothesis part of the question as well. Does anyone know if they'll take my answers seeing as the data supplied was a bit ambiguous? Freaking out about this! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

I think it is important that everyone affected contact the SEC and make known your displeasure. Last year they made a mess of the trig question with the robotic arm. This year they made a monumental error putting down the diagram of a triangle that cannot be drawn. The story in the Irish Times seems to suggest that they should not have put in the 32 degree angle. But I don't buy that excuse because of the way they asked the question - they would have to interchange the first 2 parts.
    The person writing this question has months to prepare it. No teacher of any competence would have allowed that question to stand. The SEC needs to get rid of whoever is behind these trig questions - they simply don't know what they are doing. I would complain so that whoever is writing these questions is sent packing by the SEC so students don't have to go through the same nightmare next year.

In short: rahh rabble rousing! Down with that sort of thing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭N64

I think it is important that everyone affected contact the SEC and make known your displeasure. Last year they made a mess of the trig question with the robotic arm. This year they made a monumental error putting down the diagram of a triangle that cannot be drawn. The story in the Irish Times seems to suggest that they should not have put in the 32 degree angle. But I don't buy that excuse because of the way they asked the question - they would have to interchange the first 2 parts.
    The person writing this question has months to prepare it. No teacher of any competence would have allowed that question to stand. The SEC needs to get rid of whoever is behind these trig questions - they simply don't know what they are doing. I would complain so that whoever is writing these questions is sent packing by the SEC so students don't have to go through the same nightmare next year.

Its absolutely disgraceful that they still make mistakes as big as this given the time they have to prepare everything. You would think people would look over such a crucial exam :rolleyes: I guess that's just public sector bodies in Ireland for you ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 914 ✭✭✭DarkDusk

What's really the point? Could you get compensation for your moral sufferings? ;)

Well, if a point isn't made then the SEC will not understand the situation. The more people who tell them that the error resulting in them having less time for other questions the better. Something sounds way worse when more people voice their opinion about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Leaving Cert Student

By all means, write them a long email.

But do it AFTER your exams are over, or when you have a decent break in them ... for now, the right question is: "what exam do I have tomorrow?" ;)
    Randy you wise man of knowledge. Your words are gospel and your hair is silky smooth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

*sigh*

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Glee_GG

Its pretty ridiculous that for an exam you spend two years preparing for they can't even be bothered enough to double check their own problems to see if they make sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭N64

I wonder would students affected to be able to claim back money on the leaving cert fees? After all, you are paying for a service and they did not provide it to a certain standard (sale of goods act, etc) Public sector bodies do need to be held accountable from time to time :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭TheChosenOne

DarkDusk wrote: »
    Well, if a point isn't made then the SEC will not understand the situation. The more people who tell them that the error resulting in them having less time for other questions the better. Something sounds way worse when more people voice their opinion about it.

I guess, yeah. Do it after the exams, as people here are saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭SolitaireX

I think the mistake is great, it means if you attempted it you get full marks. If you wasted time on it you've noone to blame but yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 320 ✭✭lostatsea

Liesel wrote: »
    Does anybody know what the deal is with the 'Don't Know' information in this question? For part (b) I said that some of the 21 who didn't know whether their flight was delayed could have had it delayed so I got 231 over 1000 and then (231+21) over 1000 and divided by two to get the average of the two? Anywhere from 0 to 21 of the 'Don't Know' people could have had their flights delayed like? :confused: Same problem with the not satisfied with the service and this would have affected my hypothesis part of the question as well. Does anyone know if they'll take my answers seeing as the data supplied was a bit ambiguous? Freaking out about this! :(

You have a good point. In election polling they give 2 sets of results - one with everyone included and then one with the don't knows excluded. They then have to do some type of analysis on how the don't knows might break down. Once you have reasoned your argument there is no reason why you should not get full marks or pretty to close to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭TheChosenOne

Liesel wrote: »

Liesel, I think it wouldn't affect the dissatisfied part, but the delay, yeah... I have a feeling this is another blooper, like they didn't intend us to think out whether to include it or not. I just used the number given, but next to it, I acknowledged the fact that some poeple in the 'don't know' section might have been delayed as well...

Was so annoyed with question 8 that I forgot about this ambiguous part xD

Randy you wise man of knowledge. Your words are gospel and your hair is silky smooth.
    Keep your hands outta my hair, please, we'll have none of that sorta thing here! :pac:
    Glee_GG wrote: »
    Its pretty ridiculous that for an exam you spend two years preparing for they can't even be bothered enough to double check their own problems to see if they make sense.
    In fairness, the mistake isn't in the Irish version, so it obviously was worked out correctly.

My guess would be an slightly earlier version of the English one went to the printer's by mistake, with a figure left in from an earlier version which was changed.

Shouldn't happen ofc, no-one would suggest that ... but I'd say it's the proofreading is at fault, rather than the maths.
    N64 wrote: »
    I wonder would students affected to be able to claim back money on the leaving cert fees? After all, you are paying for a service and they did not provide one to a certain standard (sale of goods act, etc) Public sector bodies do need accountability from time to time :pac:
    I wonder would all us taxpayers who pay for you lot to cover the full syllabus in certain subjects get a rebate on our taxes when ye cut corners right and left? :pac: :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 914 ✭✭✭DarkDusk

SolitaireX wrote: »
    If you wasted time on it you've noone to blame but yourself.

I'm sorry, but you couldn't be any more wrong. The SEC are to blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Conballz

Solutions for those curious: http://www.studentxpress.ie/ProjectMaths/HL2013AnswersP2.pdf

What was the deal with the orthocentre question? It seemed so easy yet I couldn't get the perpendicular lines to hit a vertex, bar one :(

Yeah I couldn't get that for a while either... The trick was the orthocentre was actually outside the triangle so you had to extend two lines of the triangle out further.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

Ugh this thread has descended into a bit of a joke, its just become an outrage echo chamber, you'd swear from some of the people on here that the SEC has caused the sky to fall in on our heads. Yes the SEC made a mistake, not for the first time and not for the last time either, but it was exactly that a mistake the SEC will work around it in the marking as they've done before, you won't get your fees back , the whole paper won't be marked incredibly easy and society won't fall apart to cannibalism as some people here hystericalising this to.

In fairness, the mistake isn't in the Irish version, so it obviously was worked out correctly.

I don't think you are correct. Leaving out the 32 degree angle makes it a legal triangle. But they would then have needed to ask part (a) (ii) first followed by part (i). It is a deeper problem that what you are suggesting. This question was in a very early draft form and was somehow left unfinished.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

Ugh this thread has descended into a bit of a joke, its just become an outrage echo chamber, you'd swear from some of the people on here that the SEC has caused the sky to fall in on our heads. Yes the SEC made a mistake, not for the first time and not for the last time either, but it was exactly that a mistake the SEC will work around it in the marking as they've done before, you won't get your fees back , the whole paper won't be marked incredibly easy and society won't fall apart to cannibalism as some people here hystericalising this to.

I know - I think it's only good news for those who were in danger of failing. It's actually almost bad news for those who want an A..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Please everyone (particularly those of you who have an exam tomorrow) just forget about it until you are completely finished your exams. One way or another getting outraged/worked up about it now is going to distract you. Yes it was annoying but it will be addressed in the marking scheme.

The important thing for you all is not to let a misprint affect any of your other exams.

I don't think you are correct. Leaving out the 32 degree angle makes it a legal triangle. But they would then have needed to ask part (a) (ii) first followed by part (i). It is a deeper problem that what you are suggesting. This question was in a very early draft form and somehow left unfinished.
    Well, have a look at the Irish version yourself ...

I agree with you though that it's a hangover from an earlier version.

In any case, we're all just guessing: the important question for all of you now as I said before should be "what do I have tomorrow?!" :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Prodigious was on the news intro!

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭RML

I think I just saw Prodigious on tele! :D

Well, have a look at the Irish version yourself ...

I agree with you though that it's a hangover from an earlier version.

In any case, we're all just guessing: the important question for all of you now as I said before should be "what do I have tomorrow?!" :)

This is good for me - it gets the adrenaline going for tomorrow.
    I saw the Irish version. Apparently they sent a correction around to all those exam halls to insert the 32 degrees so that they could carry out the first part of the question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Leaving Cert Student

How do I see this news intro?

I saw the Irish version. Apparently they sent a correction around to all those exam halls to insert the 32 degrees so that they could carry out the first part of the question.
    0_o

If they did, I have to agree that they made a bigger hames of it than I first thought, they should have spotted the problems at that stage!

What's your source for that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

How do I see this news intro?

turn on rte one

Should be in again

• Advertisement

0_o

If they did, I have to agree that they made a bigger hames of it than I first thought, they should have spotted the problems at that stage!

What's your source for that?

It is second hand at the moment. My teacher rang RTE to inform them of a problem with the paper this afternoon. They told him that all they were aware of at that time from the SEC was a correction that had to be sent to all schools sitting the Irish version of the paper.

Advertisement